Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by PinCheese
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230426_183517 (resized).jpg
    B39AE215-FD4E-47B8-8949-3E1B933F930A (resized).png
    20230313_223850 (resized).jpg
    20230313_223900 (resized).jpg
    20230313_234934 (resized).jpg
    20230315_215223 (resized).jpg
    20230310_230633 (resized).jpg
    20230310_224823 (resized).jpg
    20230310_213542 (resized).jpg
    20230310_213619 (resized).jpg
    20230310_233605 (resized).jpg
    20230310_233348 (resized).jpg
    20230310_224838 (resized).jpg
    20230313_125545 (resized).jpg
    20230313_125533 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7228 (resized).jpg

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 1 year ago

I think I'm more excited to finally meet and hang with Odin and you Nimble Tits than I am about my kids birthday lol.

#152 1 year ago

Why not both?
    We can get her a whole Portillo’s chocolate cake and celebrate in style!

Quoted from PinMonk:

I still remember the era of a thick Thomas Guide under every driver's seat.

No worries, we got Gryszzz covered.

18A4DD63-34E4-45D1-86E6-BC4792A8F67A (resized).jpeg18A4DD63-34E4-45D1-86E6-BC4792A8F67A (resized).jpeg

#153 1 year ago

Oh man Nimble Nips you just took this vacation from great to FUCKING SPECTACULAR!!!
    My kiddo will absolutely LOVE hangin with yer daughter!
    (Nimble Lips and I are gonna do Disney together)!!!
    Freakin STOKED!

#154 1 year ago

Got the email from Odin...IT'S ON!

#155 1 year ago

My favorite shithead Republican!

#156 1 year ago

LA's most terrifying band
    WILD IN THE STREETS

#157 1 year ago

I see Keith Morris around my neighborhood often, he shows up to the old school punk shows. If you go to the Knitting Factor show I bet he shows up.

Also Glen Dazigs house is around the corner from me but don’t think he stays there anymore. If you’re lucky you might see some MFN bricks bitch

#158 1 year ago

81 Jerks
    On an LA spin

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:A shithole 2nd only to the sfbay area…Disney land is now gang land…bite your tongue and refrain from the tough guy stuff…them little shits out there will ventilate ya over absolutely nothing

Lol. What am I doing wrong that I haven’t had the pleasure of your experiences of LA. More than 50 years of living here and have never had a problem. Maybe instead of a smile and a nod when I come across people, I should clutch my purse in fear and give a look of disdain. Maybe a snide remark under my breath thrown in as well? That might do it. What’s your secret?

#160 1 year ago

FYI, LA is much safer and cleaner now than it was in the 70s and 80s.

#162 1 year ago

Guys I'm typing this from under my desk, gotta keep my head down, the kindergarteners are having a turf war on the block, little kid in pigtails just sprayed my house with an Uzi.

#crenshawlivin

#163 1 year ago

"They have had more motorcycles stole here than Nirvana has songs about heroin...You cant even surf unless you wanna get hepatitis" Lived in Anaheim for 25 years and can attest this is true. You can't leave ANYTHING unchained for 2 minutes or it's GONE.

Things stolen from me in Anaheim/LA

Skateboard
    BMX
    snowboard jacket
    swimshorts....yes SWIMSHORTS
    2 cars.

ironically my Motorcycle did NOT get stolen. But only because I never ever left it unchained or unwatched. And it was chained to the floor while in my garage.

GOOD things are the food. If you like Sushi OSHIMA in Tustin is extremely hard to get in, its full of Japanese people and it's very very quiet. No rolls, no party amophere...its real sushi you won't get anywhere else, even in LA.

Of course In N Out burger.

El Farolito in Downtown Placentia has the best Mexican food I've ever eaten by a mile. Its far above.

2am leaving the bar...Del Taco is your best friend. Best fast food menu in the world.

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

It’s actually El Farolito.
    And you want the original location a few miles East in Placentia. The Fullerton one is owned by the younger brother and is just so-so.
    [quoted image]
    As for Lost Levels, it’s also just so-so.
    Mostly a shell of its former glory when it had pinball machines as well.
    Mission Control in Santa Ana is more worth the trip and is a straight shot down the 5 freeway from Disneyland.
    Has MOAR arcade/pinball and of course, a bar!
    Jay keeps the pins in tippy-top shape.
    4th street marketplace is a mini-mall full of food too.
    But, honestly, why travel more than you have to?
    Between o-din’s garage and my place, you’ll definitely get your fill of games to play.
    We can reminisce about Expo 2015 and all the fun we had, since that was I think(?) the last time I saw you in person…

Damn, I posted about El Farolito before I saw your post.

YES YES YES YES.. Best damn Mexican food ever. Every time I fly back to visit I must eat here.

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Things stolen from me in Anaheim/LA
    Skateboard
    BMX
    snowboard jacket
    swimshorts....yes SWIMSHORTS
    2 cars.
    ironically my Motorcycle did NOT get stolen. But only because I never ever left it unchained or unwatched. And it was chained to the floor while in my garage.
    GOOD things are the food. If you like Sushi OSHIMA in Tustin is extremely hard to get in, its full of Japanese people and it's very very quiet. No rolls, no party amophere...its real sushi you won't get anywhere else, even in LA.
    Of course In N Out burger.
    El Farolito in Downtown Placentia has the best Mexican food I've ever eaten by a mile. Its far above.
    2am leaving the bar...Del Taco is your best friend. Best fast food menu in the world.

Things get stolen everywhere. The worst place for theft I ever saw was at the University of Arizona in the early nineties. Even if you chained your bike, if it was halfway decent, it would be gone in an instant. Guys in cargo vans with large bolt cutters everywhere.

Don’t surf after heavy rains to avoid the hep. Surf reports will issue warnings.

El Farolito is overrated. Too heavy, bland flavor. A little hole in the wall called Adobo off of South and Woodruff is the best Mexican food I’ve had.

Most Del Tacos close by midnight. Even the ones that claim to be 24 hours often will close up early due to “labor shortages”. Less so on Friday and Saturday nights though.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

A little hole in the wall called Adobo off of South and Woodruff is the best Mexican food I’ve had.

That's in the city that I grew up in.
    https://www.adoborestaurant.com/

Super Mex is a few blocks away, full menu and great food. I always eat there when visiting family.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/super-mex-lakewood-2?osq=Super+Mex

Great Thai place across the street in the 7 Eleven center.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-villa-restaurant-lakewood-2

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Things get stolen everywhere. The worst place for theft I ever saw was at the University of Arizona in the early nineties. Even if you chained your bike, if it was halfway decent, it would be gone in an instant. Guys in cargo vans with large bolt cutters everywhere.
    Don’t surf after heavy rains to avoid the hep. Surf reports will issue warnings.
    El Farolito is overrated. Too heavy, bland flavor. A little hole in the wall called Adobo off of South and Woodruff is the best Mexican food I’ve had.
    Most Del Tacos close by midnight. Even the ones that claim to be 24 hours often will close up early due to “labor shortages”. Less so on Friday and Saturday nights though.

Around here, they will steal your bicycle no matter how you chain it. They will take bolt cutters to it even if they are right in front of you and you are taking their picture on your phone and tell them you are calling the police. And, they will laugh at you while they do it.

I wish this were a joke, but sadly it is not.

> 1,000 bicycles found at one homeless camp in OC.

bicycles (resized).jpgbicycles (resized).jpg

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Lol. What am I doing wrong that I haven’t had the pleasure of your experiences of LA. More than 50 years of living here and have never had a problem. Maybe instead of a smile and a nod when I come across people, I should clutch my purse in fear and give a look of disdain. Maybe a snide remark under my breath thrown in as well? That might do it. What’s your secret?

I'm pretty sure this was a troll, but its not all that far off. Well Disneyland of course is fine, there are no issues there at all. That place is not going to let any of that nonsense go on (we go there once a month or so). But I refuse to go to Knotts or Magic Mountain any more. The punks are not controlled there and are a-holes. Although maybe Knotts is better now, they recently put in new measures after the stupid behavior starting making the news.

Yes, 99.9% of the time everything and everyone is cool around here. But the 0.1% are some real jerks.

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

But I refuse to go to Knotts or Magic Mountain any more. The punks are not controlled there and are a-holes. Although maybe Knotts is better now, they recently put in new measures after the stupid behavior starting making the news.

Magic Mountain has had peaks and valleys of gang problems since the late 1970s. That place is about the extreme coasters, though. Not really a great park if you're a 7 year old.

#170 1 year ago

Lotta love for early Circle Jerks. I agree 100%.
    But the reunion album in '95 was quite a bit better than I expected. I remember swapping the head in my wife's POS Renault in parents in laws garage, while listening to it, and hydrating with massive Budweisers.
    But yeah, first 3 songs on WITS are top notch.
    Have a great time fuckface.

IMG_20230308_181153844 (resized).jpgIMG_20230308_181153844 (resized).jpg
    #171 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Magic Mountain has had peaks and valleys of gang problems since the late 1970s. That place is about the extreme coasters, though. Not really a great park if you're a 7 year old.

Not great at my age either, I can't ride anything anymore without getting sick. I can't even manage Space Mountain any more, last time I tried it I had to lay down on the concrete floor for 10 minutes before I could even stand up. It sucks, I used to love riding all of the best coasters, but those days are done for me.

#172 1 year ago

The kind of people that bash LA are missing out.

I've traveled to over 40 countries and been through a good part of the United States. LA fucking rocks. If it exists and is worthwhile, you can experience it here. @gryszzz, you're doing this the right way - a bit of research beforehand to find out how you'd like to spend your time while visiting. What you're finding from a few randos on this site is that there's more variety and things to do than you can fit into your family vacation. You'll have a great time. PM me if things start to go sideways, though!

And since I'm here - the concern trolling from people about Los Angeles, Southern California or the state of California as a whole cracks me up. I hear it when I visit friends and relatives elsewhere. Yup, things aren't perfect here. Congratulations.

You realize that we don't sit around and bash whatever bumble-fuck place you live, right? Our news broadcasts don't fear-monger about any number of moral, economic, sociological, cultural or whatever ills you're dealing with. It's a sunny, snowy, sandy, taco-y, diverse pinball heaven here. Have some bulgogi at @doomid's place while playing the new Scooby Doo (Blood Suckers Edition) or The Godfather (LE) and enjoy life.

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

The kind of people that bash LA are missing out.
    I've traveled to over 40 countries and been through a good part of the United States. LA fucking rocks. If it exists and is worthwhile, you can experience it here. Gryszzz, you're doing this the right way - a bit of research beforehand to find out how you'd like to spend your time while visiting. What you're finding from a few randos on this site is that there's more variety and things to do than you can fit into your family vacation. You'll have a great time. PM me if things start to go sideways, though!
    And since I'm here - the concern trolling from people about Los Angeles, Southern California or the state of California as a whole cracks me up. I hear it when I visit friends and relatives elsewhere. Yup, things aren't perfect here. Congratulations.
    You realize that we don't sit around and bash whatever bumble-fuck place you live, right? Our news broadcasts don't fear-monger about any number of moral, economic, sociological, cultural or whatever ills you're dealing with. It's a sunny, snowy, sandy, taco-y, diverse pinball heaven here. Have some bulgogi at doomid's place while playing the new Scooby Doo (Blood Suckers Edition) or The Godfather (LE) and enjoy life.

All true. All in all, its nice here in a lot of ways. I travel quite a bit for work, and I'm not seeing a lot of nice places that look like paradises. Lots of places I have been to multiple times - Chicago, Detroit, Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Boston, Portland, Seattle, St Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio are a few that come to mind. They all have a mixture of the good and the bad, but the ratio can vary quite a bit. I won't insult any specific cities, anyway, it is what it is, its just life in the USA. I survived them all

Regarding what a few pointed out about hitting OC and Disneyland and then maybe something in LA the same day - its probably not gonna work. Its a lot bigger than most people realize, and of course the traffic can make it even bigger due to increased travel hours. You just need to plan accordingly. I've even had some people say they were going to do some stuff in the day in OC, then drop down to San Diego to do more that same day.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

You realize that we don't sit around and bash whatever bumble-fuck place you live, right? Our news broadcasts don't fear-monger about any number of moral, economic, sociological, cultural or whatever ills you're dealing with.

I think we all know what “news” station people who bash L.A. watch. What’s funny is the entertainers from that station all live in New York and L.A. and wouldn’t be caught dead living in Bumblefuck.

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I think we all know what “news” station people who bash L.A. watch. What’s funny is the entertainers from that station all live in New York and L.A. and wouldn’t be caught dead living in Bumblefuck.

4F8C15F8-F3FE-459A-B253-2C12EDF630C1.gif4F8C15F8-F3FE-459A-B253-2C12EDF630C1.gif
    #176 1 year ago

Don’t forget to get a Ronto wrap at Star Wars Galaxy Edge. Best food in the park. Bring a flask of Seagram 7 to mix.

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/ronto-wrap/

F0A1ED50-1481-4930-BEDC-8C747B43212F (resized).jpegF0A1ED50-1481-4930-BEDC-8C747B43212F (resized).jpeg

#177 1 year ago

I’ve found out living in LA & So Cal my whole life the vast majority of turds here were not born and raised here. LA has its phases but overall it’s my home and I’ll be scattered here when I’m gone. Love to visit other places around the world, but LA’s Home

#178 1 year ago

California Über Alles…

8618C84B-F538-4090-A5B0-D1D12F845ABF (resized).jpeg8618C84B-F538-4090-A5B0-D1D12F845ABF (resized).jpeg
    #179 1 year ago

Bromance Achievement Completed!

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

That's in the city that I grew up in.
    https://www.adoborestaurant.com/
    Super Mex is a few blocks away, full menu and great food. I always eat there when visiting family.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/super-mex-lakewood-2?osq=Super+Mex
    Great Thai place across the street in the 7 Eleven center.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-villa-restaurant-lakewood-2

Then you probably remember the Denny's that used to be at South St. and Lakewood Blvd.
    It was the first one.

#181 1 year ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

California Über Alles…
    [quoted image]

Aww, been a long time since I’ve seen either of those mugs.

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

California Über Alles…
    [quoted image]

I see meTV on in the background, Odin must be getting old.

#183 1 year ago

I hope Odin is doing well. Miss him not being on Pinside.

#184 1 year ago

Nimble Naps you are THE BEST!!!
    You truly made this vacation one of the best ever.
    THANK YOU BROTHER!

#185 1 year ago

Just got into Tuscon. Stopped in Joshua Tree National Park and I've never seen a sky like that in my life...
    CA fucking rules

IMG_7228 (resized).jpgIMG_7228 (resized).jpg
    #186 1 year ago

There are no street lights AT ALL. For like, 40+ miles. Supposed to be one of the darkest places in the country. First time I've ever seen the Milky Way. The stars...man,...the STARS...WOW

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

You truly made this vacation one of the best ever

How was LA?

Would love to see some pics of your daughter smiling at Disney Land.

#188 1 year ago

Lived in Tucson for 5 years, can confirm the best most amazing sky at night, you can see stars all the way down to the horizon, really cool, even better when there's a lightning storm!
    Now go get some Chihuahua! Best one is Mariscos Chihuahua, the best Mexican seafood you'll ever taste.
    I'm guessing you're not a herper, too bad you're missing out on the best part of the desert if you're not out flipping rocks.11 species of rattlesnake there, plus gilas, desert iguanas, coral snakes, long nosed snakes, dang I miss that place.
    B

#189 1 year ago

Everybody geeked out on all the new releases meanwhile I'm over here LOVING Fan-Tas-Tic

20230313_125533 (resized).jpg20230313_125533 (resized).jpg20230313_125545 (resized).jpg20230313_125545 (resized).jpg
    #190 1 year ago

Staying at the Hotel McCoy and they have this in their lobby. This place freakin rules I don't wanna stay anywhere else in Tuscon.
    Such a unique layout on this machine. Love the pop at the bottom.

#191 1 year ago

Stopped in Joshua Tree last week en route to Starfighters in Mesa; night sky is usually great there, but patchy clouds this time. Flowers were pretty good at the south end, nice mix of species blooming. After SPF, went down to Picacho Peak Monday, GREAT flowers there. Carpets of lupine, phacelia and poppies in particular. Some cactus wrens were having a discussion from atop the saguaros, too.

People should get out in the boonies more to see the stars, wildlife and scenery. Double up a pinball trip with a mini-vacation whenever you can.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Everybody geeked out on all the new releases meanwhile I'm over here LOVING Fan-Tas-Tic

WTF, Gryszzz!!!
    (Wow, that's Fan-Tas-Tic)

Nice to see you got to do you on your family vacay.

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Stopped in Joshua Tree last week en route to Starfighters in Mesa; night sky is usually great there, but patchy clouds this time. Flowers were pretty good at the south end, nice mix of species blooming. After SPF, went down to Picacho Peak Monday, GREAT flowers there. Carpets of lupine, phacelia and poppies in particular. Some cactus wrens were having a discussion from atop the saguaros, too.
    People should get out in the boonies more to see the stars, wildlife and scenery. Double up a pinball trip with a mini-vacation whenever you can.

Amen, I go to the Mojave almost every May to chase wildflowers, insects and reptiles (where there's flowers, there's insects, where there's insects there's reptiles)
    Still searching for the elusive California Gila population but so much fun, hit the Kelso dunes and say hi to the kit foxes!
    B

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Amen, I go to the Mojave almost every May to chase wildflowers

We’re you able to catch one?

Quoted from ZooDude:

Still searching for the elusive California Gila population

When I was at u of A, a guy I knew bought one from somebody on the black market and kept it as a pet. Highly illegal, but it made him cool. He also owned red bellied piranha and an anaconda. I miss my college days in Tucson.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

We’re you able to catch one?

When I was at u of A, a guy I knew bought one from somebody on the black market and kept it as a pet. Highly illegal, but it made him cool. He also owned red bellied piranha and an anaconda. I miss my college days in Tucson.

The trick is to sneak up on the flowers, gotta be real quiet.
    There are two sub species of Gila's- banded and speckled, it's legal to keep the ones that aren't native to your area, the ones that are supposedly in California are a newly discovered population outside of their known range. Either way, not cool to keep venomous species without proper training and husbandry experience, rarely a good outcome for the people or animals.
    I used to breed anacondas, my friends would ask if they ever bit me, I would always say, "only when I try to handle them" pretty confident that keeping them did not make me cool. Did make my house smell horrible.
    B

#196 1 year ago

Back home again, in Indiana...man I miss hearing Jim Nabors belt that out before every Indy 500.
    The motel where we stayed in Tuscon was full of local artists work for sale. I fell in love with thus larger piece and paid $300 for it.
    Got to UPS yesterday and found out it was gonna be $250 to ship! I didn't have any other options so I begrudgingly paid it. Fucking crazy.

#197 1 year ago

I just reassure myself with "Well $550 for a stunning piece of original art is still a pretty damn good deal". And it is.

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I just reassure myself with "Well $550 for a stunning piece of original art is still a pretty damn good deal". And it is.

Post a pic when you get it.

#199 1 year ago

So how was Odin doing?

#200 1 year ago

Odin is doing GREAT and still parties harder than most kids half his age. We played/drank/smoked in his garage literally all night. Been waiting a decade for that night, and it was fuckin TITS.
    Even though he has a beautiful OG MM it was his GORGEOUS Radical that I played most.

20230310_224838 (resized).jpg20230310_224838 (resized).jpg20230310_233348 (resized).jpg20230310_233348 (resized).jpg20230310_233605 (resized).jpg20230310_233605 (resized).jpg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/places-to-play-things-to-do-in-la/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.