5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by chaskett
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170502_193644 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193714 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193753 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193721 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193733 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193356 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193331 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193508 (resized).jpg
    20170502_193707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170422_094540_081 (resized).jpg
    HPIM1973.JPG
    HPIM1972.JPG
    HPIM1970.JPG
    HPIM1971.JPG
    HPIM1969.JPG
    stuntjumper-06.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Just wanted to share a cool little "toy" I picked up for 30 bucks recently. It's a Tomy tabletop pinball called Pirates Treasure. For those who remember Atomic Arcade Pinball from 1979, this appears to be it's bigger, badder, cooler brother. I had an AAP in '79 and remember it to be pretty small and simple. I think only the 3 bumpers, and 2 slings scored points. This little gem however is the closest tabletop pinball I have found that mimics the real deal. I am pretty surprised at just how advanced this toy pinball really is. It scores points via the top rollovers, 3 bumpers, 1 angled bumper, 2 kick out holes, and through a cellar kick out shot. The cellar shot hooks around the upper left, drops under the playfield and kicks the ball out just above the third flipper on the right. It's just a brilliant feature for a tabletop pinball.

The bumpers work great and provide really decent action, and the kick out holes work flawlessly. The playfield is 10" wide and 16" top to bottom. Of course the experience pales in comparison to the real thing, but for a toy, you just can't find a better pinball experience. If any Pinsider comes across one of these more advanced Tomy tabletop pinball machines, they are definitely worth picking up for a few bucks. I got this one in the original box, and with instructions for 29.99. They certainly seem cheap enough to buy and are surprisingly fun and well made. The only thing I think Tomy should have done in hindsight for a more complete experience, would have been to take two more of those straight angle bumpers (the yellow bar between the kick out holes and bottom bumper) and insert them into the two slingshots above the flippers. Outside of that, they managed to put out a pretty faithful tabletop recreation of the real thing.

HPIM1655.JPG

4 months later
    #2 5 years ago

same as "American Pinball", "Astro Shooter" (I have), and one for Coca Cola comissioned by the Franklin Mint.
    lots of fun for such a small package and heres a teeny simple worthwhile mod for ya:

get 2 packs of "Scunci no-slip grip" hair ties, theyre like black silicone-ish rubberbands about 1.5" long across the card they come on (part number 39701-A, 21 PCS). stack about 7 of em to each side, replacing the bands for the "slingshots" and the upper ones too. the bounce is so crazy lively, you really have to see it for yourself.
    also recommend picking up 10 small O-rings to fit the bottoms of the bouncer posts first (use crazyglue) so the new bands dont drag on the playfield or pop loose, or go flying away when you're trying to install em.

1 week later
    #4 5 years ago

yup, one of the best toy size games ever. also have a StarCom (same as Atomic Pinball), not as much fun for being so much more simplistic. Quicksilver1's near last comment nailed it, wish theyed made them with active slingshots. the Scunci bands I'd replaced stock ones with are so much bouncier, pretty good game changer, lots more action!

it'd sure be nice if TOMY or another manufacturer were to revisit the concept to produce similar, better, and larger.
    adding active slingshots, maybe some drop targets with another target to pop them back up after they're all down,
    some newer style sights (playfield LED's) and sounds to go with it all too would be nicer as well. they got so much action out of one little motor, I'm really curious about what they might be able to do with 2-3 of em in there, on a playfield near twice the surface area.

Astro's sound volume control, is funny but kinda cool too, the plastic plate to cover-uncover its speaker is pretty kidproof and effective enough, no volume pot to ever fail and need replacing wasnt a BAD idea at all IMHO.

3 weeks later
    #5 5 years ago

zizzlemeplease can you send some photos or video how the "Scunci no-slip grip" mod looks and works?

#6 5 years ago

sorry Az, havent been able to post pics here..
    best I can do is describe it.. instead of bouncing maybe sideways 1-2 times, the ball bounces 3-4-5 times for the bands being so much more lively. they're not expensive at all, I hope you can find them to give em a try there.

www.scunci.com site is pretty un-navigable for me here, its a division of CONAIR corporation..
    bar code on back of the card has numbers: 43194 38701 might be helpful for locating them in a store?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

get 2 packs of "Scunci no-slip grip" hair ties, theyre like black silicone-ish rubberbands about 1.5" long across the card they come on (part number 39701-A, 21 PCS). stack about 7 of em to each side, replacing the bands for the "slingshots" and the upper ones too. the bounce is so crazy lively, you really have to see it for yourself.

Thanks for the tip. I got a pack at Walmart. Not sure I'm happy with the color, but I couldn't find all black. They do make the game feel a little more like real pinball. Like real pinball the ball now tends to bounce from the inlanes to the outlanes. Games are shorter and a bit more challenging. I only used four bands at each position (16 total). I thought the ball might get stuck between the bands, but that hasn't happened.

I also tried the hair bands on my smaller Atomic pinball, but I didn't think it was worth while. For what ever reason the stock rubber on my Atomic is already more bouncy than the stock rubber that was on the Astro Shooter.

scunci-01.jpg

scunci-02.jpg

scunci-03.jpg

#8 5 years ago

Here's the rest of my Tomy collection...

Collection-01.JPG

#9 5 years ago

Thank you for photos. And nice collection.

#10 5 years ago

JeffZee, keep looking, really! the scunci's I'd mentioned are smaller than those, they stretch tighter and much much bouncier for it. bought a pack of those multicolored ones, theyre just too big and too loose. the all black ones I'm talking about measure 1-1/8" diameter (off the card), small enough to be taut in the upper bouncers too and a good fit in atomic pinball as well. found mine at the local CVS, keep an eye open for them at different stores. on the card theyre just over 1-1/2", right about 1-5/8". they're about half as thick as the colored ones, so 7 of em fit the posts.
    wish I could up some pics to show it!

#11 5 years ago

Yup, CVS was it.

scunci-01.jpg

scunci-02.jpg

scunci-03.jpg

#12 5 years ago

oooh-ohhh-ohhh.... yup, thats the ones! whaddya think about the bouncing now?
    you already know I think its crazyawesomesick compared to stock lol

#13 5 years ago

Bounce is about the same as the colored fat ones. But the inlanes now work better with the thinner bands and I like all black.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

Here's the rest of my Tomy collection...

Nice Armatron!

#15 5 years ago

These are great! I've never played one, and in all my years going to garage sales have never seen one. I do have very fond memories of the Run Yourself Ragged game though. Guess I have to go find one of those now!

#16 5 years ago

didnt even try with the larger colored ones here, they were just that much too loose and CVS not 1/2 mile from here anyway, took a while for me to spot the smaller black ones to pop in.. so really wouldnt know how the bigger ones might have bounced. compared to old stock ones theyre just impressive, they do sometimes "help" put the ball into the outlanes a little more often but the bounce to the inside definitely more fun to me, is worth doing it.
    theyed really rocked if they had made them active and scoring like Quicksilver said back up top, it'd be great it they did a production re-visit to include it.

#17 5 years ago

This is my latest eBay find and something I never saw before. It's an Atomic Pinball mechanism in a redesigned case. The electronics are more sophisticated with more switches triggering more sound effects whereas Atomic has only one sound effect. It doesn't have Atomic's blinking light mechanism. But what's really cool is that each of the three "pop bumpers" has a transparent top with a light that flashes as each respective bumper is triggered. It's pretty cruddy. I'll post more when I get it cleaned up.

StuntJumper-01.jpg

#18 5 years ago

Everything cleans up with the old pinball standbys of Mean Green and Novus. Compared to Atomic Pinball, this Stunt Jumper comes apart in a completely different way and there's a lot more wiring. I see no reference to Tomy. The name Playwell is molded into the case.

StuntJumper-10.JPG

Each of the three little bumpers has a yellow LED inside.

stuntjumper-06.jpg

#20 4 years ago

A short Stunt Jumper vid...

#21 4 years ago

JeffZee, can you do a video of the scunci band bounce action?

1 year later
    #22 3 years ago

Revisited this topic and happened upon some posts about replacing the bands which I hadn't previously seen. Couldn't find the exact scuncci bands that were suggested, but did find some from Goody's at Walmart that seemed comparable to the ones listed and were the perfect size. Picked up a 36pc. package for 2 bucks and they work great. Used 6 bands each on the slings and 7 bands for the top near the rollovers. Gonna try to borrow my brother's video camera in the next day or two and upload some video. I'm glad I randomly looked back at this topic to find out about this simple, yet effective mod.

HPIM1969.JPG HPIM1970.JPG HPIM1971.JPG HPIM1972.JPG HPIM1973.JPG
    #23 3 years ago

those look like the Goody pull-tangle proof ones, kinda cloth covered? hadnt tried them but dont doubt them being a whole lot livelier than stock mostly vinyl single bands. the stacked multiple bands work independently so the energy of the ball is -much- better preserved and reflected.
    instead of 1-2 mushy lateral bounces at the slings it's 3-4-5, is a pretty big difference to playing, and yeah sometimes meaner for extra bounce helping toss a ball down an outlane.
    hopefully the Goody elastic ones are just as bouncy, the Scuncci silicone was a CVS item.
    as soon as I saw them.. "oh hey this might work", they do lots more than I expected.

some darn place, had a slightly larger steel ball, as big as the TOMY could take without the ball getting stuck anywhere (teeny shaving the subway eject hole larger with Xacto was all) for a little more weight and momentum. slicked up the pf with wax and thin coat of armorall's tire gel buffed back clean, probably helped activity everywhere too (like popcap triggering).

another "mod" could be a simple adapter for a 9.6v AA NiMh rechargeable battery pack so a kid could play on a camping trip or anywhere else. 1800mAh can run 2-3 hours on a charge.

1 year later
    #24 1 year ago

Hi

I picked up a Coca Cola pinball for $60 CAD and just trying to get it going. The left top pop bumper is going constantly is the only issue. Assuming something is stuck in there. They seem to be a bit of work to get apart, the coke one has all the extra wood rails. It would be nice if the "glass" slid off. Going to have a look tonight. The head had an old wedge 555 light and socket installed instead of the factory light, I assume it had died at some point.

Cool page you have jeffzee

Chris

IMG_20170422_094540_081 (resized).jpg

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from UofG2000:

Hi
    I picked up a Coca Cola pinball for $60 CAD and just trying to get it going. The left top pop bumper is going constantly is the only issue. Assuming something is stuck in there. They seem to be a big of work to get apart, the coke one has all the extra wood rails. It would be nice if the "glass" slid off. Going to have a look tonight. The head had an old wedge 555 light and socket installed instead of the factory light, I assume it had died at some point.
    Cool page you have jeffzee
    Chris

VERY VERY cool. Usually not a fan of the "toy" pinball machines (appreciate the thread, though) but that one looks great. You said they added a 555 light and socket in place of the factory light which might have died, is it still in there? Just curious of what else it would be. Guessing it would still be 6(.3) volts since they had to grab that from somewhere!

1 week later
    #26 1 year ago

otaku yes they stripped the wire to the standard socket, equivalent to a C9 Christmas bulb and put a 555 wedge in. I left the light as is but cleaning up the wiring, proper solder and cover. They had just twisted the exposed wiring to hold it together.

Here is a video of it in action at my house

#27 1 year ago

Pics.

20170502_193707 (resized).jpg

20170502_193508 (resized).jpg

20170502_193331 (resized).jpg

20170502_193356 (resized).jpg

20170502_193733 (resized).jpg

20170502_193721 (resized).jpg

20170502_193753 (resized).jpg

20170502_193714 (resized).jpg

20170502_193644 (resized).jpg

1 year later
    #28 7 months ago

I am thinking the gel scunci bands have been discontinued. I can't find them locally and the onlie prices are kinda ridiculous.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 219.99
    $ 59.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.00
    $ 15.75
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside