• 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by huo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6DD58BC5-9507-4545-A9C5-CBB989ADAE21 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

I've owned both. ST is a way better game especially in a small lineup. Though, I prefer the LE or PREM heavily over the pro.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I used to make that assumption. And then SKB explained it in various threads. It really opened up the game to me. My favorite mode is lining up NERO 3. If you play that mode right the logic of it is stunning. There is logic behind the modes, but the game doesn't explain them well. Steve does.

Right on Dave, I’m glad someone understood what I was saying lol

Quoted from rai:

I can see that, never really comprehended the nuances of the rules, I did like the way the away team shots were implemented. Before I sold ST I put it on 5 balls so that I could see more modes in a single game (3 deep etc) but it just never grabbed me, maybe I was not understanding it. I like to compare it to SM. I like SM modes, maybe there are not as many combinations or ways to progress but they are just fun and I feel more pressure when I'm getting closer to Battle Royal mode and like the varied timed modes such as Bone-Saw. I'd say SM is more simple, but I enjoy it.
I think maybe my number of pins is working against me. Having 10 pins sometimes it's hard to concentrate to understand the deeper rule aspects. If I had just one pin ST would be the easy choice but with 10 pins I like PotC in a large collection.
ST is probably better than PotC but not markedly better like some are saying. Potc rules are more basic, easy to understand and difficult to get to the end. I like the 'Jack' hurry-up shot, like the upper PF area, the callouts are good (I have no problem with the voice actors), I like the upper spinning area, it's layout, like some close shots like Jack and the treasure chest is a thing of beauty.
Combine Ship and Treasure chest toys, Stern was spending money more freely back then.

I do think ST is a great small lineup pin. STLE is my most regretted sold pin. However, I have SMVE now in its place and I’d have a hard time letting it go to get STLE. And I hear you on the mode comparison; SM has a bit more personality in that regards. Plus, the progression on SM and modes is quicker and wider (more breadth) whereas ST is deeper yet linear as it’s more mode after mode based. I love both. 18 linear’ish modes in ST vs 5 modes + 4 villains + 3 tiers per villain = depth vs breadth. Both Styles work great for each pin IMO as ST flows better so it’s modes suit that flow nicely and vice verse for SM. Plus there’s a lot to uncover with vengeance + away team modes. That coupled with the warp ramp really does give ST a great appeal in a small lineup. But Apples and oranges really.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I agree. Hold out for a Premium or LE.

Yup! Biggest reasons for me is that VUK that kills flow on pro but feels great on the LE. And, the Klingon laser show is awesome! Oh and the color changing inserts with medals and Kobayashi are awesome! The game literally goes bronze for bronze medals, turns silver for silver, and gold for gold. I really wish they added one more elite medal (purple) - but we can’t have it all can we oh yea, the warp chase lights are stellar! And the double scoring apron! Prem/LE really is the way to go on ST. To me, it’s worth those upgrades.

Side beta testing note: there’s a gold medal awarded for getting the Klingon Super JP. Proud to say that was my idea and Dwight liked the idea and added it. Dwight is really open to ideas and a very hard worker and proud of what he does. Top notch dude. I just wish he was given more time to work on some of his projects. They move too fast at stern sometimes

EDIT: another side note fun fact. Dwight programmed both games, POTC + ST. While he didn’t do the initial code for ST, it was he who saved it. As for my opinion of POTC; it really is a cool fun game. The multiball stacks are great. My biggest issue with the game is that every shot (except monkey) do not setup another action shot for the player. It’s all shoot this, watch something happen, wait a little longer, ok now you can shoot again. It’s why it can get old in a small lineup, but it’s also why the multiball stacking is so fun and cool, balls flying everywhere doing all sorts of cool stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-or-star-trek?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.