• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6DD58BC5-9507-4545-A9C5-CBB989ADAE21 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have a nice POTC (HUO) right now and have given the opportunity to do a 1 swap with a Star Trek Pro.

What do you think?

I’m really liking POTC and haven’t gone thru four winds yet (wizard mode) but after about 6 months or so it’s kinda itching to check out and try other machines.
I think Star Trek could be a nice trade since it’s a more modern and newer machine. Price wise they should be about the same value.

Or maybe keep POTC since it’s value might more likely to increase then Star Trek?

Thanks for the advice!

#2 6 years ago

Star Trek is just awesome and will always be worth more than some kid from jump street lol

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Star Trek is just awesome and will always be worth more than some kid from jump street lol

Haha ok you’re not a fan of the POTC theme.

I still thinks it’s an underrated machine. Lot to shoot for and everybody loves it. Men, women and children. I think Star Trek will not appeal to everyone.

I do see Star Trek Pro’s here for sale for around € 4250,- and that’s about the same a the much older POTC. So it seems that Star Trek dropped faster. Might stay steady though...

#4 6 years ago

I find POTC to be a boring game .. and reasonably easy. I got 235m on ball one in a Comp in Pittsburgh and let it drain ...

Star Trek Pro (or Prem/LE) is a better game in my opinion.

Lots to do ... 21 levels to get to the end (pretty impossible ..) plus lots of multiballs and combo/multiplier opportunities.

rd

6DD58BC5-9507-4545-A9C5-CBB989ADAE21 (resized).jpeg6DD58BC5-9507-4545-A9C5-CBB989ADAE21 (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago

I've owned both. ST is a way better game especially in a small lineup. Though, I prefer the LE or PREM heavily over the pro.

#6 6 years ago

I'd rather have Star Trek all day every day, but they're out there. Seems like you see fewer POTCs for sale, but who knows if it's staying power will last with that new JJP POTC game about to drop.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I got 235m on ball one in a Comp in Pittsburgh and let it drain ...
rd

Nice! I cannot surpass 150 mill in a five ball game so I guess I still have to be practicing more. Could Star Trek be too difficult for a beginner?
I played some games on ghostbusters for instance and I find that game waaaay too hard and frustrating.

#8 6 years ago

I'd go for Star Trek Pro. But from my experience - owning an ST Pro for 6 months - my wife and kids never played it
I've had a little shift lately in my buying, I only buy what I will enjoy, my kids just never play anything I but, not matter what it is. I've had pins like WOZ to ST to NBA Fastbreak. My kids just have no real interest.

The only pin my wife has played consistently is MET Pro, so we're keeping that one for the long haul. She did not like ST Pro. She did mention she liked POTC though when we've played it on location, pretty much the only other pin she's said she likes.

My vote is for Star Trek, it's awesome. POTC is ok, but doesn't give me the same adrenaline rush.

#9 6 years ago

As soon as the jjp pirates was announced potc started being put up for sale.

I own a ST pro and I find it a great mix of easy to learn and play if your buddies come over, plus it's deep enough to keep me playing it. Played potc and it's just not to my liking. Would take a star trek over potc every time

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Nice! I cannot surpass 150 mill in a five ball game so I guess I still have to be practicing more. Could Star Trek be too difficult for a beginner?
I played some games on ghostbusters for instance and I find that game waaaay too hard and frustrating.

No, Star Trek is not hard like Ghostbusters. I've never found Star Trek frustrating to play, it's just pure fun, it never feels unfair in any way, no cheap drains.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Though, I prefer the LE or PREM heavily over the pro.

Yes I understand but I'm not sure if the extra light show is worth another $ 1500,-. Are there any other noticeable differences?

But that would never be a one-on-one trade with my POTC. And if I'm willing to spend the extra money, a whole lot of other games will be an option to consider as well. Not looking for upgrading and spending more money right now...

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Yes I understand but I'm not sure if the extra light show is worth another $ 1500,-. Are there any other noticeable differences?
But that would never be a one-on-one trade with my POTC. And if I'm willing to spend the extra money, a whole lot of other games will be an option to consider as well. Not looking for upgrading and spending more money right now...

Color changing LED lighting on all inserts
VUK/scoop to left ramp
Warp Ramp chase lights
Laser Starfield projector
Crash Effect Vengeance
Lighting in apron
Flashers in backbox
Powdercoated side rails and legs
Kick back on left outlane
Shaker Motor (LE, optional on PRO and PREM)
Lit Starfleet shields on backbox sides (LE)
Lit laser cut armor (LE)
Mirrored backglass (LE)

The PRO gets you like 90% there gameplay wise... but the Prem and LE REALLY bring the style.

#13 6 years ago

T

Quoted from gunstarhero:Color changing LED lighting on all inserts
VUK/scoop to left ramp
Warp Ramp chase lights
Laser Starfield projector
Crash Effect Vengeance
Lighting in apron
Flashers in backbox
Powdercoated side rails and legs
Kick back on left outlane
Shaker Motor (LE, optional on PRO and PREM)
Lit Starfleet shields on backbox sides (LE)
Lit laser cut armor (LE)
Mirrored backglass (LE)
The PRO gets you like 90% there gameplay wise... but the Prem and LE REALLY bring the style.

Thanks for this extensive list!

Shaker motor, and some things could be done with mods I guess but obviously no gameplay changes.
It does show however how packed the older games like POTC are.

#14 6 years ago

Star Trek all day

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

No, ST Pro has wider, easy shots, so an average player can get some good ball times on it. And it’s relatively easy to get the first multiball underway.

That’s where games like Met and ST are good ... easy enough for a novice to have a good Bash around and get things happening, but lots of meat there for a better player too.

ST Pro is 99% the same gameplay wise as the Prem/LE, but the Prem/LE looks better with more colour changing LEDs etc. Is it $$$$$$$$ better? Maybe not.

I own a pro, I would upgrade to LE if the price difference was closer. But it’s not .. so I keep the Pro and lots of money.

rd

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Shaker motor, and some things could be done with mods I guess but obviously no gameplay changes.

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple:

Wireforms instead of all plastic ramps
USS Enterprise lit "toy"

Yeah, you can certainly add in the shaker, the model, and I suppose with some difficulty the laser show.

The only gameplay changers are the VUK, which gives you a more consistent feed from the left lock/mission shot, and the kick back, which is replaced by a "virtual ball rescue" and re-plunge... so that's why I said the gameplay on the pro is about 90% of the LE gameplay wise. Not game breakers at all, I really enjoyed the PRO and only ended up with a PREM because a local pin bro made me a good deal on one.

#17 6 years ago

I wold keep POTC. It sounds like your enjoying it as does your family and friends. It also sounds like you like the skill level of the game and want to see more.

Some of the newer pros can be pretty brutal. I personally love getting kicked in the nuts by a game though, it keeps me coming back for more. My friends and family not so much.

There are no guarantees that you’ll like ST as much and you can always make a comparable trade down the road.

Edit. I didn’t realize you had it for 6 months, so maybe it’s time for a change. I love rotating games in and out. I think a mint POTC is worth more than mint, stock ST, but a few hundred at most. FWIW - I personally like ST better especially if your a fan of the theme.

#18 6 years ago

I'd go with Star Trek. I don't even care much for the show/movies but loved the game so much I bought a Pro anyway. They had POTC at the Chucky Cheese near us. I got to play it a *lot* during all the kids parties we were invited to. I liked it, but not nearly as much as Star Trek.

The only downside I could point out is the mission structure can feel linear and repetitive. As long as there are different games in the lineup, its forgivable. The start of mulitball lightshow where Kirk is yelling and it appears the whole machine is under attack is one of the coolest things I've ever seen a pinball machine do. I never get tired of it.

#19 6 years ago

Star Trek, and it’s an easy choice. I’m a big fan of the Pirates ride at Disney, and I liked the first movie (then it went downhill). But the game never did it for me. But Star Trek is a blast. It pulls you in and makes you want to understand the sequences. Make the shots, and rise quickly. It’s just fun. One of Stern’s better games.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

The only downside I could point out is the mission structure can feel linear and repetitive. As long as there are different games in the lineup, its forgivable.

Nope unfortunately my only game...

... for now.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

#21 6 years ago

ST is a great game. The shots are smooth as butter and very fun to play. I second what the others have said, premium or higher is the way to go, the real ball save, VUK, light show (both inserts and laser), and Vengeance are well worth the increase.

I love the theme of POTC and will always have mine. The gameplay is fun and challenging. Shots are a bit more limited vs ST but varied and fun none the less.

A Pro straight up trade for your POTC in an interesting offer. I don't think you can go wrong with either game in your lineup.

#22 6 years ago

Keep the POTC if you have room. Its a fun family friendly pin for friends and family. If you can swing it and have room get the ST Premium. The ST Premium is much better than a Pro in my opinion. Plus, both pins are not being made anymore so you'd have 2 titles that are not in production. Find that HUO ST Premium or buy new.

I own both along with Iron Man Vault Edition and Star Wars Premium. Im maxed out on space, but they all get played by family and friends. Good luck on your search and congrats on your POTC purchase. The lighting on the ST Premium is done very well and the modding on both can really take your pins to another level.

#23 6 years ago

Get star trek.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pchdetc:

Keep the POTC if you have room. Its a fun family friendly pin for friends and family. If you can swing it and have room get the ST Premium

I agree. The prem is the way to go if you can get it and have the room.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#25 6 years ago

Star Trek no question about it!

#26 6 years ago

PoTC is typical fare from the second depression era of pinball (1997-2010) with visually unappealing PF artwork to boot. Easy decision- Trek on.

#27 6 years ago

I have an LE and love it.... you will live long and prosper.

#28 6 years ago

I had STLE for 4 years and have had PotC for 10 years, just got to 4 winds the first time ever (3 balls).

I never thought ST was great, it has a lot of modes but they can feel same-ish.

I think they’re about equal so if you’re tired of Potc can trade for ST pro.

IMO SM is **better** than ST and trades in the same price range as well.

My view SM >> Potc = ST

#29 6 years ago

do it before the guys realizes the mistake hes about to make

#30 6 years ago

I just did this trade. Gave my POTC for a Star trek Pro. Game play wise ST is so much better!

I got the short end of the deal when it came to value, HUO vs routed, but game play wise I'm happy.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

do it before the guys realizes the mistake hes about to make

I don’t think it’s any mistake PotC is a price around the same as ST.

AFM may be better than Totan but that doesn’t mean it’s a mistake if you traded one for the other if they are priced around the same and same condition etc..

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

PoTC is typical fare from the second depression era of pinball (1997-2010) with visually unappealing PF artwork to boot. Easy decision- Trek on.

You can say a lot about POTC but not that there isn’t any innovation in the machine. Ok the translite is arguably dull but what can you suspect on a movie licensed machine? The playfield is no Photoshop job and it has a actual sinking ship as a toy! (don’t get me started on the Vengeance-on-spring here ) The tortuga ramp with the spinning compass disc is nice and so is the Jack wireframe ramp.

I guess I need to play this game first since POTC seems to be a love it or hate it kinda thing and averybody seems to either love Steve Richie games or accuse him of doing just copy paste work from earlier games.

Thanks for the replies everybody! Greatly appreciated!

#33 6 years ago

Also if you have just one pin you will get tired of it more easily. It’s no shame to swap out pins, my friend does and has owned probably 100 different pins but never more than 5 at a time. However he might trade one he misses it and he can always get another one it’s not like these are impossible to find.

PotC is very well built imo mine is 10 years old and it looks brand new and has had only one issue which was a auto launch fork broke after 7 years, it has PF supports, direct print cabinet, three major toys: ship, chest and disk, full lollipop side rails. If made today it would be a LE by Stern standards.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

(don’t get me started on the Vengeance-on-spring here )

To be fair, the real joy of the Vengeance isn't that it bounces when you hit it, it's that the combination of the magnet, drop target and kicker underneath it (think Raptor from JP or Ripper from LAH) make it really able to do alot with the ball. It will hold it in place as a target, acts as a ball lock, and sometimes blast it back at you!

The Pirates ship is pretty slick, and I like that when it sinks it opens a lane to shoot through.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I never thought ST was great, it has a lot of modes but they can feel same-ish.

I used to make that assumption. And then SKB explained it in various threads. It really opened up the game to me. My favorite mode is lining up NERO 3. If you play that mode right the logic of it is stunning. There is logic behind the modes, but the game doesn't explain them well. Steve does.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I used to make that assumption. And then SKB explained it in various threads. It really opened up the game to me. My favorite mode is lining up NERO 3. If you play that mode right the logic of it is stunning. There is logic behind the modes, but the game doesn't explain them well. Steve does.

I can see that, never really comprehended the nuances of the rules, I did like the way the away team shots were implemented. Before I sold ST I put it on 5 balls so that I could see more modes in a single game (3 deep etc) but it just never grabbed me, maybe I was not understanding it. I like to compare it to SM. I like SM modes, maybe there are not as many combinations or ways to progress but they are just fun and I feel more pressure when I'm getting closer to Battle Royal mode and like the varied timed modes such as Bone-Saw. I'd say SM is more simple, but I enjoy it.

I think maybe my number of pins is working against me. Having 10 pins sometimes it's hard to concentrate to understand the deeper rule aspects. If I had just one pin ST would be the easy choice but with 10 pins I like PotC in a large collection.

ST is probably better than PotC but not markedly better like some are saying. Potc rules are more basic, easy to understand and difficult to get to the end. I like the 'Jack' hurry-up shot, like the upper PF area, the callouts are good (I have no problem with the voice actors), I like the upper spinning area, it's layout, like some close shots like Jack and the treasure chest is a thing of beauty.

Combine Ship and Treasure chest toys, Stern was spending money more freely back then.

#37 6 years ago

I have played Pirates of the Caribbean a few times. And I own a Star Trek pro. I will always pick Star Trek over Pirates of the Caribbean simply because the gameplay changes up so much.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I've owned both. ST is a way better game especially in a small lineup. Though, I prefer the LE or PREM heavily over the pro.

I agree. Hold out for a Premium or LE.

#39 6 years ago

Had both, got rid of my Star Trek, POTC will never leave

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Had both, got rid of my Star Trek, POTC will never leave

Never say never..... i said same thing about alot of pins but with jjp making some amazing new stuff i had to let the old stuff go to mu surprise.... and glad i did as the new stuff like dile is just amazing .

#41 6 years ago

Star Trek all day long...

#43 6 years ago

I have owned both. And if I was going to choose to buy another,
it would be ST.

#44 6 years ago

I prefer Pirates, underrated machine and most of our non pinhead guests seem to play it more than any other machine.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Right on Dave, I’m glad someone understood what I was saying lol

Quoted from rai:

I can see that, never really comprehended the nuances of the rules, I did like the way the away team shots were implemented. Before I sold ST I put it on 5 balls so that I could see more modes in a single game (3 deep etc) but it just never grabbed me, maybe I was not understanding it. I like to compare it to SM. I like SM modes, maybe there are not as many combinations or ways to progress but they are just fun and I feel more pressure when I'm getting closer to Battle Royal mode and like the varied timed modes such as Bone-Saw. I'd say SM is more simple, but I enjoy it.
I think maybe my number of pins is working against me. Having 10 pins sometimes it's hard to concentrate to understand the deeper rule aspects. If I had just one pin ST would be the easy choice but with 10 pins I like PotC in a large collection.
ST is probably better than PotC but not markedly better like some are saying. Potc rules are more basic, easy to understand and difficult to get to the end. I like the 'Jack' hurry-up shot, like the upper PF area, the callouts are good (I have no problem with the voice actors), I like the upper spinning area, it's layout, like some close shots like Jack and the treasure chest is a thing of beauty.
Combine Ship and Treasure chest toys, Stern was spending money more freely back then.

I do think ST is a great small lineup pin. STLE is my most regretted sold pin. However, I have SMVE now in its place and I’d have a hard time letting it go to get STLE. And I hear you on the mode comparison; SM has a bit more personality in that regards. Plus, the progression on SM and modes is quicker and wider (more breadth) whereas ST is deeper yet linear as it’s more mode after mode based. I love both. 18 linear’ish modes in ST vs 5 modes + 4 villains + 3 tiers per villain = depth vs breadth. Both Styles work great for each pin IMO as ST flows better so it’s modes suit that flow nicely and vice verse for SM. Plus there’s a lot to uncover with vengeance + away team modes. That coupled with the warp ramp really does give ST a great appeal in a small lineup. But Apples and oranges really.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I agree. Hold out for a Premium or LE.

Yup! Biggest reasons for me is that VUK that kills flow on pro but feels great on the LE. And, the Klingon laser show is awesome! Oh and the color changing inserts with medals and Kobayashi are awesome! The game literally goes bronze for bronze medals, turns silver for silver, and gold for gold. I really wish they added one more elite medal (purple) - but we can’t have it all can we oh yea, the warp chase lights are stellar! And the double scoring apron! Prem/LE really is the way to go on ST. To me, it’s worth those upgrades.

Side beta testing note: there’s a gold medal awarded for getting the Klingon Super JP. Proud to say that was my idea and Dwight liked the idea and added it. Dwight is really open to ideas and a very hard worker and proud of what he does. Top notch dude. I just wish he was given more time to work on some of his projects. They move too fast at stern sometimes

EDIT: another side note fun fact. Dwight programmed both games, POTC + ST. While he didn’t do the initial code for ST, it was he who saved it. As for my opinion of POTC; it really is a cool fun game. The multiball stacks are great. My biggest issue with the game is that every shot (except monkey) do not setup another action shot for the player. It’s all shoot this, watch something happen, wait a little longer, ok now you can shoot again. It’s why it can get old in a small lineup, but it’s also why the multiball stacking is so fun and cool, balls flying everywhere doing all sorts of cool stuff.

#46 6 years ago

For a one pin collection, I would say go for ST. I owned a POTC for about 3 months before I was absolutely bored with it. Ended up trading it for a TRON. GL

#47 6 years ago

I own both. It would be easy for me to say Star Trek but with a bit more thought I’m not so sure.
I am a pretty decent player so Star Trek offers me a lot of gameplay. BUT, I am the only person that plays my games. POTC is much more accessible to an average player. If your family play, I would say keep the POTC. If it is just for you, get the Star Trek.

Is a three month temporary swap an option ?

#49 6 years ago

I had POTC for a short period of time. I bought and held it for a friend for a month or two. It can be pretty simple but enjoyable. I never made it to fourwinds, but made it pretty far. Wouldn't mind having one for a little while longer.

I owned Star Trek Premium for more than a year. It was a great game as the later code hit. Otherwise it was a dog as there wasnt much other than the basic modes. Late game code was really nice. The attraction light show was real nice. I hope to own a Star Trek again. Perhaps even the LE due to the backglass and armor.

How I'd look at it today. You're likely to own both in the future. Take a gamble on which one is likely to hold its value or appreciate, Then own the other later.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 49.99
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-or-star-trek?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.