IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#142 6 years ago

Can we clarify that no video clips doesn’t mean there will be no video clips / it means you can’t use the actors in close up doing physical stuff or speaking. It doesn’t mean there won’t be any video of pirates and ships and cannons firing and everything. Disney doesn’t own those rights so JJP couldn’t license them.

#175 6 years ago

You replace the top plastic surface of the disc. Eric gave a talk on that at the booth.

#190 6 years ago

Well okay agree to disagree then
Lazy fill-in to get product finalized
Amazing concept
You were in on the decision making I guess I don’t recall seeing you there
Whatever
To each his own

#195 6 years ago

Fair enough thanks for explaining anyway. The game flat out rocks and has tons of cool stuff that hasn’t been done pretty much ever or at least in this way (the spinning disc assembly is a thing of pinball engineering beauty and despite the three motors and relays, optos and leds and the disc surface which is rigid and grabby yet transparent in spots and it can do so many things but it has a very shallow elegant profile that doesn’t weigh down or clutter up the underside of the field).
The rocking pearl Playfield is reminiscent of the Path on IJ but it can do cool stuff in addition like the player can control the speed at which it rocks - I don’t mean in the settings menu I mean while flipping - and it has the MM castle flip up style gate to load the cannon shot, which then rather than be stagnant like on taxi or big guns is challenging on two levels because of the rocking field - yes t2 and dh and AC/DC and others have moving gun turrets but this one moves on a different plane so that’s at least different somewhat. The activate enclosed magnetic area on the back right has been done different ways before either with a captive ball (Hollywood heat GNR) or with a disc and targets around it (arena CSI op thunder and lots of games including yes Sterns POTC) but this is a variation of that at least.
The subway underneath has five entrances which I guess is reminiscent of STTNG although certainly not the same. Left side whirlpool ramp screams Black Rose except this one has a funky diverter to knock the ball down the whirlpool funnel in the middle (whitewater although used differently here) which is pretty damn cool I think although you may disagree.
The software is cool and will be very cool when finished.
The compass on the apron can either be somewhat passive in just displaying information or can become an integral part of the game if you trap and hit the action button to differentiate shots.
Spinners - a popular pinball staple - these have leds on top for a neat flicker lighting effect.
What else did I miss? Help me Chris and those out there who know.
So yeah I agree we need innovation not the same thing over and over. Woz hobbit and DI were never done before licenses and games 5 and 6 coming up are new also.
Too bad this one isn’t for you.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

so no stern star wars sle. jjp made dialed in ce, potc ce. is jjp gonna make a ce money grab for every title?

Run this by me again... Stern has three levels, Pro, Premium and LE... JJP has three levels, Standard, LE and CE.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Each studio must have different rules / contracts regarding licensing or perhaps the licensing costs being asked by Disney for voice and video assets is much higher then what Warner Bros wanted.
It's pretty damn incredible what JJP managed to get in terms of assets and approval for The Hobbit. It's still stupid Smaug couldn't get hit by a pinball though, lol.
1. Voices from all actors (seems like all at least) across 3 films
2. Video assets with rights to show actors faces across 3 films
3. Licensed main score
4. Approval from Warner Bros for over 30 custom tracks by Two Steps from Hell

Warner owns the Wizard of Oz too, remember, and there were things with that game that JJP couldn't use and that Warner forced changes on. The most obvious example is the Somewhere Over the Rainbow song; yes, the song is in the game, but nowhere is there actual audio of Judy Garland singing the song - simple enough, Warner doesn't own that so JJP couldn't get it to use. Yes, inquiries were made with the late actress' people to see if it was get-able but it was not. Warner also doesn't own the rights to any of the Munchkins faces (none of the actor's likenesses) - hence they are not pictured on the playfield (not the real ones) and no video clips showing their faces are used in the game. JJP like any one else simply worked around it.
There are other examples (many) with WOZ. With Hobbit, Warner was much more open and provided three movies worth of assets that they were able to license - not everything, mind you, but a plethora of material that JJP could use, and you see the result. The game is loaded with clips and music and there is a ton of stuff that didn't make it into the game despite the 31 modes and some hidden things - there are certain video sequences that are used if and only if a player reaches victory laps after certain arkenstone modes. If you can imagine. If you are at all a fan of the three Hobbit movies the game is a joy even to watch someone else play. Warner does licenses different than Disney; the contracts that actors sign with Warner allow certain rights to be used and others to be retained. Facts are facts. Disney cannot license that which it does not own. JJP was able to get some very cool music though - talking to David T at Expo I learned more about the audio assets that Disney DID have and JJP could use and there is a lot of cool stuff. The game will be fun by all accounts.

#290 6 years ago

Incorrect in the case of Disney and the pirates films, but thanks for your input anyway.

#311 6 years ago

There’s a video floating around with David T the audio genius on both stern’s POTC and this one talking about the difficulties of the license.

1 week later
#317 6 years ago

You are wrong. If you’d bother to read the thread, you are wrong. It’s been explained again and again. And again. You are incorrect. Thank you for your input.

#321 6 years ago

I didn’t know you were in the licensing meetings - oh that’s right you weren’t. I’m not discussing it anymore, I’m sorry that you are unable to grasp the concept that Disney licenses don’t work like Warner Bros and others do, the information is out there in many forms including some of the folks who worked on the first POTC explaining the difficulties of dealing with the license. I’m sorry that you’re unable to understand that broad generalizations about licensing don’t apply here, that throwing a few extra bucks into the pot is irrelevant owing to the structure and nature of the contracts involved. I’m sorry that I tried to correct you, carry on with whatever world you wish to inhabit.

#329 6 years ago

Yeah I’m sorry that was so snippy I actually am a nice guy. I was tired as heck when I wrote that - my bad. No malice intended.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballomatic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4?tu=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.