IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TBatti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 6 years ago

A redone theme = boring. The pin may play great and appears to have some interesting features but the movie is/was middle of the road at best.

We need a little more thought on theming these days and this one is disappointing, to say the least. Just when you thought they couldn't do as bad as theming WOZ they did.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

It seems to look like a pinball machine. They seem to be refining their build quality and development. Very polished.
That said, JJ continues to underwhelm. I'm in the camp that theme matters. Its like getting a 60" 4k flat screenTV and its stuck on the wrong channel.
I'll throw out the first speculation of JJP#5. Martha Stewart Cooking School. 'cuz JJP gets it'

Perfect someone that understands the importance of the theme of a pin.

I'll rephrase it, redoing a theme that isn't that great to start with lacks imagination.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I want to ask some of the members who dont like this theme. Is it cause you dont like the movies? Cause i think great movies can be bad pinball themes, but bad movies can be fantastic pinball themes.
I am not a big fan of the potc movies. But i see a HUGE potential for a great and fun game. I think potc is a fantastic theme for pinball.

The reason I don't like it, is that it's been done before. I honestly don't like the repeated theme and people get too defensive when pinsiders call it out on that. Then come the downvote posts because we don't like the theme? It is my unbiased opinion and I have no stake in it.

New pin, new innovation and then the theme is a repeat. One of those things is not like the other. I would like to see more innovation and thought process when themeing a pin, that's all. Don't we as consumers want that? Companies want more and more money every year for their product but offer recycled material, why? Well I think we know the answer, $$$. Let's make a product that's entirely new so people will want it that much more. Will the game sell, sure, they all do but they may be missing out on maximizing their sales in my opinion. Will I play it? Sure I'll play it. Will I buy it NIB? Not a chance and it's not for the reason of the pricing of new pins.

I'm not saying I have the next theme breakthrough idea however, I find this release as a lazy fillin to get product finalized. I'm sorry most on this thread don't agree. Feel free to agree or disagree. Thank you.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I am not getting defensive here at all, but i do find this statement from you as curious when you have a Revenge from Mars (which was done before as Attack from mars) and a Stern Star Trek (which was done before a Star Trek The Next Generation.
Just because a theme has been done before doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again. Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jone, Black Knight, High Speed, 8 Ball, i am sure there are more. My point is that even though they were all done once before, new movies, new technology, new elements have been added to make each one different from the previous one.
The pinball public has spoken. the number of JJP PotC being sold is amazing. It's okay if you don't like it, but at the same time you can't criticize based on the fact that "it has been done already" and then have almost half of your collection be "redone themes."
I am super proud of my brother and his team (and probably a little over protective), but what they have done is not a retheme of the Stern game, but a JJP version of a Pirates of the Caribbean game.
i will have to agree with steve. "agree to disagree then"

In the modern era of pins we need more innovation. My collection is on the old school of design theme as is most to all of ours, and we keep doing the same things is my point on theme. Our choices are unnecessarily limited. Hoping manufacturers turn the corner here is all I would like to see. I'll probably buy DI one day but not going to happen with this theme.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Fair enough thanks for explaining anyway. The game flat out rocks and has tons of cool stuff that hasn’t been done pretty much ever or at least in this way (the spinning disc assembly is a thing of pinball engineering beauty and despite the three motors and relays, optos and leds and the disc surface which is rigid and grabby yet transparent in spots and it can do so many things but it has a very shallow elegant profile that doesn’t weigh down or clutter up the underside of the field).
The rocking pearl Playfield is reminiscent of the Path on IJ but it can do cool stuff in addition like the player can control the speed at which it rocks - I don’t mean in the settings menu I mean while flipping - and it has the MM castle flip up style gate to load the cannon shot, which then rather than be stagnant like on taxi or big guns is challenging on two levels because of the rocking field - yes t2 and dh and AC/DC and others have moving gun turrets but this one moves on a different plane so that’s at least different somewhat. The activate enclosed magnetic area on the back right has been done different ways before either with a captive ball (Hollywood heat GNR) or with a disc and targets around it (arena CSI op thunder and lots of games including yes Sterns POTC) but this is a variation of that at least.
The subway underneath has five entrances which I guess is reminiscent of STTNG although certainly not the same. Left side whirlpool ramp screams Black Rose except this one has a funky diverter to knock the ball down the whirlpool funnel in the middle (whitewater although used differently here) which is pretty damn cool I think although you may disagree.
The software is cool and will be very cool when finished.
The compass on the apron can either be somewhat passive in just displaying information or can become an integral part of the game if you trap and hit the action button to differentiate shots.
Spinners - a popular pinball staple - these have leds on top for a neat flicker lighting effect.
What else did I miss? Help me Chris and those out there who know.
So yeah I agree we need innovation not the same thing over and over. Woz hobbit and DI were never done before licenses and games 5 and 6 coming up are new also.
Too bad this one isn’t for you.

Sounds great.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wut. There is an entire universe of theme options out there. POTC was picked, and there's not point in wondering what could have been, but there's no situation here where it was some "well guess there's nothing else to pick" deal.

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to say?

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

How many times has Star Trek and Star Wars been done? A lot more times than Pirates has.
You have 2 Star Trek pins.

see page 4

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TBatti.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4?tu=TBatti and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.