IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG

There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I am very sensitive to copyright infringement. I have to be. I indemnify my clients and take the entire responsibility if I infringe.
So I have this tightrope that I walk on each license. I use the elements that are not subject to copyright like orchestration, genre, rhythm and stay very far away from melodies and chord changes.
It is not prudent for me to speak to what is or isn't licensed as these are not my issues, I have no control and very little knowledge of the negotiations.
I write custom music for pinball. Pinball music is a subset of all music. A lot of music cues from movies are evocative but would either be lost in pinball play or are just not right. So there is something to be said for music written expressly for this application.
I am a huge fan of the Klaus Badelt score for the first POTC film. Most of the memorable themes for POTC come from the first movie. Once successful Han Zimmer took over the franchise. If one were to believe the 'making of' videos Zimmer is credited for them. So why is Badelt listed? Strange.
So, once again I have the job of being as good as a great composer. It is inspiring and it is daunting. I do my best.
I will say that JJP did license some Pirate music assets from Disney that were created by Disney for a Pirate game. These assets are very 'piratey' and cinematic and are serving JPOTC well. I've written about six music cues including Out of Mode, Tortuga Multiball and some 'Chapter' cues. I will be writing more. I am happy with the sound package so far and I feel like this will be one of the best I have worked on when finished. I'm much better at orchestral orchestration than I was eleven years ago and hopefully players will embrace the work.
As far as callouts go the Gibbs session was a home run out of the park for pinball. Eric and crew put in the time to produce a comprehensive script. There are Gibb's lines from all five movies and a lot of 'pinball talk' which highlights achievements, instructs the player and make objectives clear. The actor is incredibly talented and all of it is in the build (though a lot of it still needs to be installed).
ddt

Thanks for this interesting comment.
So I’m excited now to hear this sound package.
However, I can’t prevent me to be a little disappointed that JJP couldn’t have at least the main music asset for this one.
As I said before, some movies can’t be dissociated from their original music in my opinion, in particular some saga movies.
Thanks David for your time.

#302 6 years ago

Here is a spot in the first seminar that I ever gave about pinball sound in 2008 at NWPAS. I'm talking about the "Rules of Engagement" and in this context this might be interesting to some.

What I said then is still true today. And my hair was several shades darker....

ddt

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Here is a spot in the first seminar that I ever gave about pinball sound in 2008 at NWPAS. I'm talking about the "Rules of Engagement" and in this context this might be interesting to some.
» YouTube video
What I said then is still true today. And my hair was several shades darker....
ddt

I wanted to say,

"Thank You, Sincerely, for your work!"

#304 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

PS - Kevin and Nick absolutely NAILED the reveal streaming session. Kudos to you guys and all parties involved with the JJP reveal. Keep up the good work guys. You’re kickin butt!

Thank you! I feel like I've said it a hundred times but it was an honor to be a part of. JJP is full of just great people who are a pleasure to work with.

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Thank you! I feel like I've said it a hundred times but it was an honor to be a part of. JJP is full of just great people who are a pleasure to work with.

Hi nick,Kevin,
What are your feelings about this pin?
Thanks

#306 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi nick,Kevin,
What are your feelings about this pin?
Thanks

My deposit is in

We discussed our impressions of the game in the podcast we did after the reveal at Expo. The game's designer Eric Meunier joined us for an interview as well:

#307 6 years ago

so Kev, What pins are you selling?

#308 6 years ago
Quoted from tryton1000:

so Kev, What pins are you selling?

A few will be on the chopping block. Bone Busters will be out, Viking and likely Vector.

#309 6 years ago

Is there any chance a reason why the assets from the movies (mostly) aren't in the game because of Stern's POTC and some sort of agreement there?

#310 6 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Is there any chance a reason why the assets from the movies (mostly) aren't in the game because of Stern's POTC and some sort of agreement there?

No.

Stern didn't use actor/actress voices either.

LTG : )

#311 6 years ago

There’s a video floating around with David T the audio genius on both stern’s POTC and this one talking about the difficulties of the license.

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

There’s a video floating around with David T the audio genius on both stern’s POTC and this one talking about the difficulties of the license.

Post 302 above

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
Stern didn't use actor/actress voices either.

I still think a Caption Jack impersonator would be a plus for the game it can’t use the movie clips.

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I still think a Caption Jack impersonator would be a plus for the game it can’t use the movie clips.

If you send Lloyd enough to drink I am Betting he could do a pretty good Jack Sparrow impersonation over the phone while you play? Just make a service call request and say you want to speak with Jack! lol

#315 6 years ago

^ Gold!

1 week later
#316 6 years ago

I find it odd that Stern can license all the footage, voices, actors images, music, etc etc for the Star Wars franchise from Disney, but JJP can't use any music or footage with actor's faces from another Disney franchise. Disney OWNS it, they can license it. Depp might get a few bucks, but he gets no say and the composer of the original score? Puh-lease! He sold that piece to Disney, he didn't license it! It seems to me JJP needs better negotiators, (or deeper pockets?). How much more would complete footage and music have added to the cost? $100 per unit? $500? Whatever the number would have been, I am betting the market would have supported it.

#317 6 years ago

You are wrong. If you’d bother to read the thread, you are wrong. It’s been explained again and again. And again. You are incorrect. Thank you for your input.

#318 6 years ago

You are wrong. If you’d bother to read the thread, you are wrong. It’s been explained again and again. And again. You are incorrect. Thank you for your input.

You are wrong. I've read the thread. If you'd bother to read the thread, you'll see I'm the one that brought up the lack of licensed content, beyond the basic theme. You are incorrect about the ability of a studio to license theatrical content and musical compositions that they own the rights to. It happens ALL THE TIME. All the time. It even happens in pinball. Star Wars. Hobbit. Wizard of Oz. Thank you for your input.

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

You are incorrect about the ability of a studio to license theatrical content and musical compositions that they own the rights to. It happens ALL THE TIME. All the time. It even happens in pinball. Star Wars. Hobbit. Wizard of Oz. Thank you for your input.

If your point is that everything has a price, then sure, JJP could have got the rights to use POTC video and voices if money were no object. But I wouldn’t assume that the terms of the POTC and Star Wars contracts are the same. It may well be that the POTC actors have more say (or get a bigger taste) when their images appear in video games or slot machines (I assume that’s the bucket pinball falls in). JJP would probably tell you that any savings on the licensing front went into all the mechs and expensive components, which would benefit the buyer too.

SW, by comparison, has tons of video and audio clips from the movie, but also uses some new music b/c the John Williams score was expensive to license, so they bought the two songs everyone knows and wrote the rest in house.

Point being that if you’re negotiating a big expensive license you’re probably going to end up compromising on something.

#320 6 years ago

I recently read an article written by an entertainment attorney about the first steps in offering an actor a role. Usage and likeness are basic parts of the agreement and it's obvious that in dealing with A list actors that they can dictate what rights are assigned and what aren't.

Do for anyone who states "they" should have done it this way or that way, doesn't know much about the complexity of rights assignments (not that I know much but I'm learning as I attempt to get a well known actor involved in my low budget comedy film.

#321 6 years ago

I didn’t know you were in the licensing meetings - oh that’s right you weren’t. I’m not discussing it anymore, I’m sorry that you are unable to grasp the concept that Disney licenses don’t work like Warner Bros and others do, the information is out there in many forms including some of the folks who worked on the first POTC explaining the difficulties of dealing with the license. I’m sorry that you’re unable to understand that broad generalizations about licensing don’t apply here, that throwing a few extra bucks into the pot is irrelevant owing to the structure and nature of the contracts involved. I’m sorry that I tried to correct you, carry on with whatever world you wish to inhabit.

#322 6 years ago

Isn't it also possible that time was a consideration in whether to use character voices and clips from the movie? The approval process can slow down the time line to production and hinder the ability to finish code. It might not be all about money?

#323 6 years ago

I've chatted about this dozens of times with my brother. He used to work at Disney in TV, Production and licensing as a lead attorney.. My sister in law in licecensing/ merchandising as well at Disney. Hell, I met my wife working at Disney.
I've sat in on a couple meetings.
Pinballomatic, is telling us, as it is...with all truths....we can't second guess this.
It can be stomach turning how the business works.

#324 6 years ago

Stern didn't use the movie voices in their POTC. They used different people. Example Elizabeth, in the movie she's English. In the game she has that phony Irish accent.

And Stern's deal with Disney was 11 years ago, and they had their hands full then with all the changes Disney decided on.

You might listen to Pinballomatic.

#325 6 years ago

I had a chance to play the "Game #1" prototype at the factory today.

Here's my video:

And my blog:

http://wobm.com/jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameplay/

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#326 6 years ago

I was told in another thread that JJP MSRP now includes shipping (in the lower 48, presumably). Can anyone confirm this?

#327 6 years ago

Fun fact: IP licensing has changed a LOT in the last 35-40 years, too!

#328 6 years ago

I didn’t know you were in the licensing meetings - oh that’s right you weren’t. I’m not discussing it anymore, I’m sorry that you are unable to grasp the concept that Disney licenses don’t work like Warner Bros and others do, the information is out there in many forms including some of the folks who worked on the first POTC explaining the difficulties of dealing with the license. I’m sorry that you’re unable to understand that broad generalizations about licensing don’t apply here, that throwing a few extra bucks into the pot is irrelevant owing to the structure and nature of the contracts involved. I’m sorry that I tried to correct you, carry on with whatever world you wish to inhabit.

You must be a real joy to be around.

#329 6 years ago

Yeah I’m sorry that was so snippy I actually am a nice guy. I was tired as heck when I wrote that - my bad. No malice intended.

#330 6 years ago

Yeah I’m sorry that was so snippy I actually am a nice guy. I was tired as heck when I wrote that - my bad. No malice intended.

Did you hear the one about the snippy vasectomy doctor?

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

If you say he was a real cut-up, I'm draining this thread.

#332 6 years ago

..He was tired tube.

#333 6 years ago

..He was tired tube.

Tube tired?

#334 6 years ago

Anyone know what the JJPOTC RadCal option looks like on the SE and LE? Is it the CE RadCal cabinet art? I'd be interested in that...

#335 6 years ago

Anyone know what the JJPOTC RadCal option looks like on the SE and LE? Is it the CE RadCal cabinet art? I'd be interested in that...

Nope, it’s the same art just shinier and thicker.

#336 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I was told in another thread that JJP MSRP now includes shipping (in the lower 48, presumably). Can anyone confirm this?

No, it does not.

#337 6 years ago

Can you get JJPOTC CE cabinet art RadCals on the SE and LE?

#338 6 years ago

Can you get JJPOTC CE cabinet art RadCals on the SE and LE?

As far as i am aware, you can only get the CE art on the CE machine. The RadCals on the SE and LE will be the SE and LE art.

#339 6 years ago

PinballSTAR's JJP Pirates of the Caribbean LAUNCH PARTY - at Pinball Gallery, Malvern PA - Sat December 9th - (12 - 4pm) !

PinballSTAR has arranged to have a POTC game available to our east coast pinball friends. Like our prior reveal parties we will be at the wonderful location owned by Bill Disney - Pinball Gallery in Malvern PA...

TO ATTEND : We do need an RSVP sent to [email protected] - please put 'PIRATES PARTY' in the subject line and give us names of each person who will be attending. Even if you can't make the party to get on the list for the latest Pirates info, pictures, and ordering details email Joe at [email protected] to get on our email newsletter list ! And we are currently taking orders on all Pirates models - Standard, Limited, and Collectors Editions.

Party features :
- JJP's new game Pirates of the Caribbean will be there to play !
- Several other JJP games such as WOZ, Hobbit, and Dialed In will be on site to play - depends on Pinball Gallery game lineup at that time !
- Jersey Jack Guarnieri will be in attendance signing autographs, shaking hands / kissing babies, and of course explaining the fantastic playfield layout and gameplay of Pirates !
- The entire Pinball Gallery arcade to play - OVER 65 pinballs and arcade machines ! Stay all day / night even after the party is over.
- Door prizes given throughout the party - possible prizes are : POTC Swag, POTC Flyers, Limited Edition PinballSTAR POTC Posters and Trading Cards, and more - all signed by Jack !
- Food - Light Snacks / Drinks

Door fee for the party is estimated to be $ 20 and you will have full use all day of Pinball Gallery.

Pinball Gallery
81 Lancaster Ave.
Great Valley Shopping Center, Store #20
Malvern, PA 19355
(484) 693-0693

Pinball Gallery is run by Bill Disney and is located outside Philadelphia (very close to King of Prussia).
Pinball Gallery Website - CHECK IT OUT ! Look at the VIDEO TOUR !!!
http://www.pinballgallery.net

LIKE PinballSTAR's Facebook page for the latest info on the POTC game :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PinballSTAR-Amusements/281515171950637

We hope to see everyone who can make it !!! Our parties are always at fun locations with tons of giveaways and great food !!!

TO ATTEND : We do need an RSVP sent to [email protected] - please put 'PIRATES PARTY' in heading and give us names of each person who will be attending.

Please also know we have many of the following games IN STOCK at this time that we sell - including JJP's Dialed In !

* Jersey Jack Pinball -
- Wizard of Oz - Standard, 75th Anniversary Ruby Red - IN STOCK
- The Hobbit - Standard, Limited, and Black Arrow - IN STOCK
- Dialed In - Standard, Limited, and Collector's - IN STOCK
- Pirates of the Caribbean - Standard, Limited, and Collector's - Pre-order

* Chicago Gaming Remakes -
- Medieval Madness Remake - Standard Edition - IN STOCK
- Attack From Mars Remake - Classic, Special, and Limited Editions - IN STOCK SOON !

* Spooky Pinball -
- Total Nuclear Annihilation - Pre-order (in production now)
- Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle (Pre-order coming soon - taking interested list names at this time)

* American Pinball -
- Houdini - Pre-order (production to start by end of the year)

* VP Cabs - Virtual Pinball
AS SEEN IN MAY ON ABC'S SHARK TANK ! They got a deal with Daymond John !
- Wizard - Full sized, powder coated machine with about 60 FX2 pinball tables and 100's of classic pinball tables available for download. IN STOCK
- Vertigo - Vertical upright cabinet with about 60 FX2 pinball tables and 60 classic video games - get both pinball and video games in one cabinet. Also you can upgrade the base model to get the ability to download all the classic tables too ! IN STOCK
- Vortex - Table top Vertigo model IN STOCK
Check out their website THEN CONTACT US FOR PINBALLSTAR CUSTOMER DISCOUNTED PRICING : http://www.vpcabs.com

* Chicago Gaming -
- Arcade Legends 3 - 130 classic video games including Golden Tee Golf in one cabinet http://www.arcadelegends.com/ - IN STOCK
- Ms Pac Man / Galaga video game http://www.chicago-gaming.com/pacman.php - IN STOCK
- Coffee Table Foosball - great quality, it's like a piece of furniture http://www.chicago-gaming.com/signature.php - IN STOCK

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

pinballgallery (resized).jpgpinballgallery (resized).jpg
PS Logo (resized).jpgPS Logo (resized).jpg
POTCmatrix2 (resized).jpgPOTCmatrix2 (resized).jpg
POTCmatrix1 (resized).jpgPOTCmatrix1 (resized).jpg

#340 6 years ago

I put a deposit on an LE today!

#341 6 years ago

I'm waiting for this guy to come buy my car so I can get one too...

#342 6 years ago

It looks like a fun game! Can't wait to play it.

Quoted from JLou04:

I had a chance to play the "Game #1" prototype at the factory today.
Here's my video:
» YouTube video
And my blog:
http://wobm.com/jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean-gameplay/

#343 6 years ago

I just sold my Hobbit LE to fund mine. 1st day deposit. Also had to make room in the gameroom.

#344 6 years ago

Has anyone been provided a machine number for their pre order?

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Yes, for the CE

4 weeks later
#346 6 years ago

After having a lengthy conversation with my friend ,who is the head of copyright at a major studio / media company, I can tell you that it's impossible to compare one piece of IP to another. They pretty much all have the potential to stand on their own with involved artists, various departments, third parties, etc having some sort of voice on how the IP is used. Not saying that I know the specific case here, but after this conversation I would never assume that anything with IP licensing on a major title would be even remotely easy.

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

I requested a LE number to match my DI through my dealer. No confirmation beyond the note on my invoice. It isn't a particularly exciting number, but I figured I would match them anyways.

#348 6 years ago

Number 17 patiently waiting.......... Bring on the Rum!

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I am very sensitive to copyright infringement. I have to be. I indemnify my clients and take the entire responsibility if I infringe.
So I have this tightrope that I walk on each license. I use the elements that are not subject to copyright like orchestration, genre, rhythm and stay very far away from melodies and chord changes.
It is not prudent for me to speak to what is or isn't licensed as these are not my issues, I have no control and very little knowledge of the negotiations.
I write custom music for pinball. Pinball music is a subset of all music. A lot of music cues from movies are evocative but would either be lost in pinball play or are just not right. So there is something to be said for music written expressly for this application.
I am a huge fan of the Klaus Badelt score for the first POTC film. Most of the memorable themes for POTC come from the first movie. Once successful Han Zimmer took over the franchise. If one were to believe the 'making of' videos Zimmer is credited for them. So why is Badelt listed? Strange.
So, once again I have the job of being as good as a great composer. It is inspiring and it is daunting. I do my best.
I will say that JJP did license some Pirate music assets from Disney that were created by Disney for a Pirate game. These assets are very 'piratey' and cinematic and are serving JPOTC well. I've written about six music cues including Out of Mode, Tortuga Multiball and some 'Chapter' cues. I will be writing more. I am happy with the sound package so far and I feel like this will be one of the best I have worked on when finished. I'm much better at orchestral orchestration than I was eleven years ago and hopefully players will embrace the work.
As far as callouts go the Gibbs session was a home run out of the park for pinball. Eric and crew put in the time to produce a comprehensive script. There are Gibb's lines from all five movies and a lot of 'pinball talk' which highlights achievements, instructs the player and make objectives clear. The actor is incredibly talented and all of it is in the build (though a lot of it still needs to be installed).
ddt

Thanks for the insight and information. I will say, however, that despite some good, piratey music made for the game, without the POTC theme music most of us know and grew up with the ride, it just isn't POTC.

I don't care much if there are many characters or Johnny Depp clips (I personally have grown tired of him and Jack Sparrow) but the game needs the Pirates theme music. I mean would The Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure truly be an Indiana Jones themed pin without the original IJ theme song?

#350 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

without the POTC theme music most of us know and grew up with the ride

Sorry, but the music was composed for the movies in 2003, it is not being used in the ride as far as I know.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4/page/7?hl=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.