IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean is a fantastic game. I was thrilled to be able to play this first hand at Expo this year (was one of the few things that made it worthwhile this year). Those that know me know I'm not a big fan of JJP games. I think Dialed In has a fantastic layout and smooth, fun interesting shots but I just don't connect with the theme. Pirates has both - great satisfying shots and a theme that I believe is timeless. It's Pirates for crying out loud! Whether it was based on the original movies or not, the whole nautical theme has so many cool things to pull from that it makes it timeless. The fact that they have so many movies with great video, sounds and images to pull from will make this game a hit. And I agree, so what if a POTC game was done before - this design blows the previous version out of the water. No more grinding out hitting the ship over and over and over again, or hitting tortuga over and over and over, or the chest over and over and over. They both will have their place, but this is the first JJP pin that may have a place in my house.
Eric did a fantastic job with the layout with some very satisfying and fun shots and combos. Risk reward with the compass is going to be awesome when finished, I love the bump save on the right side drain (this is brilliant), and since "immersion" is the buzzword for this forum, this game has plenty of it. An upper playfield that rocks like a ship in big waves? A treasure chest with physical ball locks? A whirlpool ramp? A canon shooting the ball? Spinning map like in the movies? I can't think of many games with that many "toys" that tie so well into a theme. Honestly, really, really well done game showing that a rookie designer can do great things.
With 200? modes and 20? characters, JJP has their work cut out for them in making them all awesome and unique, but I'm sure they will knock it out of the park.

Great review T-800.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from SpectreKombat:

crwjumper that is pretty close to my dream lineup. Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks my TWD premium will be here! I am guessing your TWD is holding up pretty good if you are keeping it and selling MMRLE.

Oh yeah. LOVE my TWD premium. Then depth of code is fantastic. I've added lots of mods - some to dress it up and some necessary - this one is a keeper!

#203 6 years ago

They could have built the same pin with a Black Sails theme, saved money on the license, and charged a lot less...

#204 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

They could have built the same pin with a Black Sails theme, saved money on the license, and charged a lot less...

Would've been a CE for me in that case, instead of a SE.

#205 6 years ago

I cant wait for an exploded schematic of that wheel. It intrigues me deeply....

#206 6 years ago

As cool as that wheel is, I hope it doesn't mess with the ball path when its off. TH had that problem of the rollovers and beast popups not being flat with the rest of the Playfield. Kind of annoying but it definitely did save a few sdtm balls.

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Door #2, use a theme that hasn't been done before. To be honest, the choices are fairly scarce.

Wut. There is an entire universe of theme options out there. POTC was picked, and there's not point in wondering what could have been, but there's no situation here where it was some "well guess there's nothing else to pick" deal.

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wut. There is an entire universe of theme options out there. POTC was picked, and there's not point in wondering what could have been, but there's no situation here where it was some "well guess there's nothing else to pick" deal.

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to say?

#209 6 years ago

i think the movies are just ok. When i heard that it would be POTC that was the next game, my reaction was, meh.
I watched the whole reveal steam and got super exited! First of all, it was a great stream by the Bro team, and the game.
I am super impressed by the theme integration and the world under glass that I want so bad.
I actually watched the latest movie after the reveal, i am pleasantly surprised of how fun it was.
I have some games with less than fortunate theme, I don`t care as long as they are fun to play.
I admit that games like Gilligan's island have a less fortunate theme (never watched the series, ever) the game is a blast to play!
The game looks great, and Eric knocked it out of the park.
The layout looks great, and Keith makes the best rulesets in my opinion.
If I decide to buy the game i have to sell 3 of my games. I think this game is worth it.

tl;dr: looks awesome, thinking about selling games to buy the LE.

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to say?

What don't you understand? Aside from the typo saying "not point" instead of "no point" which is embarrassing I dunno what isn't clear.

I'll say it more simply: saying choices for licenses are scarce is ridiculous.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

For all the shit Stern has taken for their SWLE pricing, has anybody noticed that you're paying $3000 extra for a different topper and side armor if you upgrade from the LE to the CE?
Looks like the LE is the model to go with on this machine...if you can stand looking at Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp is a moron. I am out based on that and the price.

#212 6 years ago

It's been rumoured that Johnny Depp doesn't watch any of the movies he's in. So obviously he's not a moron and has excellent taste.

I'm still thinking of pulling the trigger on an LE. Wonder how long I'll be waiting with all the pre - orders ahead of me.

#213 6 years ago

Its funny to see people with no history of buying NIB screaming 'I'm not buying this!' because an actor said words that hurt their feelings.

For gods sake lets talk about PINBALL!

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

It's been rumoured that Johnny Depp doesn't watch any of the movies he's in. So obviously he's not a moron and has excellent taste.
I'm still thinking of pulling the trigger on an LE. Wonder how long I'll be waiting with all the pre - orders ahead of me.

he's missing out then, because edward scissorhands was amazing.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What don't you understand? Aside from the typo saying "not point" instead of "no point" which is embarrassing I dunno what isn't clear.
I'll say it more simply: saying choices for licenses are scarce is ridiculous.

Maybe I need to clarify. Licenses that meet the following criteria are more scarce than we realize...

1) Affordable
2) Being able to obtain in the first place (i.e. HP)
3) Family Friendly (seems to be a requirement for JJP....which I totally agree with)
4) Timeless (a quote from Jack)
5) Cross generational draw. This to me is one of the hardest things with a theme. When you really think about it. The options are not as numerous as we think.
6) One that you can actually build a good ruleset around

My point is that when you consider all of the above factors, the options are far from "limitless". Getting a theme wrong can be very bad for a company like JJP. They don't have unlimited bullets in their gun.

With that said, I get your point. There are options. Just some are really not great choices.....when I seem some of the suggestions on this site, I shudder.

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Maybe I need to clarify. Licenses that meet the following criteria are more scarce than we realize...
1) Affordable
2) Being able to obtain in the first place (i.e. HP)
3) Family Friendly (seems to be a requirement for JJP....which I totally agree with)
4) Timeless (a quote from Jack)
5) Cross generational draw. This to me is one of the hardest things with a theme. When you really think about it. The options are not as numerous as we think.
6) One that you can actually build a good ruleset around

It all leads to KING KONG!

#217 6 years ago

King Kong would be .... enormous!! It would make for a great theme too, with honorable mention going to Godzilla.

IMG_0504 (resized).JPGIMG_0504 (resized).JPG

Back to Pirates of Caribbean, love the theme. So much integration it blows my mind.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

The reason I don't like it, is that it's been done before. I honestly don't like the repeated theme and people get too defensive when pinsiders call it out on that. Then come the downvote posts because we don't like the theme? It is my unbiased opinion and I have no stake in it.
New pin, new innovation and then the theme is a repeat. One of those things is not like the other. I would like to see more innovation and thought process when themeing a pin, that's all. Don't we as consumers want that? Companies want more and more money every year for their product but offer recycled material, why? Well I think we know the answer, $$$. Let's make a product that's entirely new so people will want it that much more. Will the game sell, sure, they all do but they may be missing out on maximizing their sales in my opinion. Will I play it? Sure I'll play it. Will I buy it NIB? Not a chance and it's not for the reason of the pricing of new pins.
I'm not saying I have the next theme breakthrough idea however, I find this release as a lazy fillin to get product finalized. I'm sorry most on this thread don't agree. Feel free to agree or disagree. Thank you.

How many times has Star Trek and Star Wars been done? A lot more times than Pirates has.

You have 2 Star Trek pins.

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

How many times has Star Trek and Star Wars been done? A lot more times than Pirates has.
You have 2 Star Trek pins.

see page 4

#220 6 years ago

P3 is out there if you want innovation.

#221 6 years ago

and the DE SW(first one) is still the best With the ST line, I think STTNG is the best.

#222 6 years ago

I guess Im getting dumber, because I cant find this answer.

Are there playfield toy differences between the Standard and CE or LE?

Someone I overheard said the upper playfield wont rock? or something with the spinning discs change?

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I guess Im getting dumber, because I cant find this answer.
Are there playfield toy differences between the Standard and CE or LE?
Someone I overheard said the upper playfield wont rock? or something with the spinning discs change?

gameplay is the same on all JJP games. Only difference is cosmetics.

#224 6 years ago

887b9094551291f045b7c139d72394f55aec420e.png (resized).png887b9094551291f045b7c139d72394f55aec420e.png (resized).png

#225 6 years ago

Thank you guys very much!

So on the playfield, its the spinning Pops and the toys on top.

It seems the $1000 upgrade is a fair deal, for whats given.

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you guys very much!
So on the playfield, its the spinning Pops and the toys on top.
It seems the $1000 upgrade is a fair deal, for whats given.

Big missing thing on the standard is the rgb gi.... that's huge imo.

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The starfield on the LE model is what sold me on upgrading too. They didn't have it 100% coded yet, but the idea is to put constellations "in the sky" depending on where you are at sea. I have never been a LE/Premium guy, but figure since this is my first JJP, and it is Eric's first design.. why not ?

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

no it's not. Nobody should have colored bulbs in the GI's anyway.

#229 6 years ago

Missed that!

Damn, now how does one get a $9500 game for less.....I have a credit card offer here for $1000
credit for $10K in charges.....hmmm.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Missed that!
Damn, now how does one get a $9500 game for less.....I have a credit card offer here for $1000

Easy Art. Wait until people start selling on the secondary market.

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Except when it's Condition Green in Space Station.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Missed that!

I've done something similar twice now. Two Chase Sapphire credit card offers to get $500 off (cashback) on a couple new games. Worked out great.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Easy Art. Wait until people start selling on the secondary market.

No Rush here....definitely looking to rack up a few days play at IAPPA next month and at Freeplay, likely.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Looks pretty damn good in TNA with those rgb’s In the GI

#235 6 years ago

JJP has added a "Home" version of their Pirates of the Caribbean pinball game to better compete with Stern prices.

MSRP $5500.

zizzle2 (resized).jpgzizzle2 (resized).jpg

zizzle (resized).jpgzizzle (resized).jpg

#236 6 years ago

Post removed

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

JJP has added a "Home" version of their Pirates of the Caribbean pinball game to better compete with Stern prices.
MSRP $5500.

People here hate jokes and are triggered VERY easily by actors faces. Please, tread carefully.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

MSRP $5500.

That's some funny stuff right there. Oh sign me up.

#239 6 years ago

As of Saturday the 14th 160 of the 200 CE were spoken for. Many new distributors were on board as well since the reveal, some of those were top tier Stern distributors.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

People here hate jokes and are triggered VERY easily by actors faces. Please, tread carefully.

Indeed.

#241 6 years ago

Hope to be able to get my LE with stainless plain armor, that way it will cost less to have it powdercoated to a "non-Pro-Stern" finish.
I am sure it would look great in a green or blue color.

#242 6 years ago

I'm sure somone who had the standard would swap you.

#243 6 years ago

so no stern star wars sle. jjp made dialed in ce, potc ce. is jjp gonna make a ce money grab for every title?

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

so no stern star wars sle. jjp made dialed in ce, potc ce. is jjp gonna make a ce money grab for every title?

Run this by me again... Stern has three levels, Pro, Premium and LE... JJP has three levels, Standard, LE and CE.

#245 6 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the game uses the actual music from the movies? I wouldn't see why not, but I can't tell from the videos I've seen. Thanks!

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

Can anyone tell me if the game uses the actual music from the movies? I wouldn't see why not, but I can't tell from the videos I've seen. Thanks!

No, David Thiel is doing the sound package, and you can't tell because he's that good. He's created a fantastic musical package that fits the theme and sounds the part. Seriously it's that good.
Change a tone here and there, adjust a chorus and you really couldnt tell the difference.

I played many games at expo and watched many play to catch stuff I missed on the LCD. Game is amazing even at 30% code. There's much more to come so I look forward to the progress.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

No, David Thiel is doing the sound package, and you can't tell because he's that good. He's created a fantastic musical package that fits the theme and sounds the part. Seriously it's that good.
Change a tone here and there, adjust a chorus and you really couldnt tell the difference.
I played many games at expo and watched many play to catch stuff I missed on the LCD. Game is amazing even at 30% code. There's much more to come so I look forward to the progress.

Got to say, no matter how good a "replacement" is, missing that main theme is really disappointing. How expensive could it have been? I mean, you are already dealing with the 800 lb gorilla of licensing, get the music while you are in the cage!

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

As of Saturday the 14th 160 of the 200 CE were spoken for. Many new distributors were on board as well since the reveal, some of those were top tier Stern distributors.

I thought Stern strongly discouraged/penalized their distributors for selling JJP games?

#249 6 years ago

Does it play faster then the first 3 releases and have the combo shot feel of great games from the past.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

MSRP $5500.

I had that game...gave it away to a charity auction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4/page/5?hl=vdrums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.