IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 6 years ago

I hope they offer the bottle topper as an add-on.

They are throwing away money if they don't.

More than 200 people will want it.

#102 6 years ago

Why are you calling him out? He was responding to a politically charged post where a picture of make believe pirate on a pinball game triggered someone.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Why are you calling him out? He was responding to a politically charged post where a picture of make believe pirate on a pinball game triggered someone.

Because he made a stupid ignorant comment and this isn't the place to editorialize about politics

Unless of course it appears to be allowed and then I'd be happy to straighten it out

Now back to Pirates

#104 6 years ago

Thanks for the nice photos.
It's a way better version compared to the Stern I'd say.
I'm hyped to test it out at IAAPA 2017 this year!

#105 6 years ago

I want to ask some of the members who dont like this theme. Is it cause you dont like the movies? Cause i think great movies can be bad pinball themes, but bad movies can be fantastic pinball themes.

I am not a big fan of the potc movies. But i see a HUGE potential for a great and fun game. I think potc is a fantastic theme for pinball.

#106 6 years ago

I like the CE the best too, but I will have to wait for the used market to take it down a few grand for me to get it. But one day I may get it

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I like the CE the best too, but I will have to wait for the used market to take it down a few grand for me to get it. But one day I may get it

This is the best JJP game ever and will never be sold on the secondary market below cost. Better get one now before it's too late and you have to settle for a Stern or SFII.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

JJP should consider offering a package discount of DI LE and JJPOTC LE for $17,000.

I'd buy that.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Haha funny...but do keep in mind those are both better themes than Pirates. And also better than Wizard of Oz & Dialed In!
The last 2 or 3 Pirates movies have been colossal flops in every way.
Next up from JJP:
Baywatch!

Now that's some funny shit. Made me spit out my Pepsi. Lmao.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I want to ask some of the members who dont like this theme. Is it cause you dont like the movies? Cause i think great movies can be bad pinball themes, but bad movies can be fantastic pinball themes.
I am not a big fan of the potc movies. But i see a HUGE potential for a great and fun game. I think potc is a fantastic theme for pinball.

Despite the fact that the last movies were pure shit it's still "Pirates" and the pin will be MUCH better than the recent movies

Great material, story and characters to work with

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Because he made a stupid ignorant comment and this isn't the place to editorialize about politics
Unless of course it appears to be allowed and then I'd be happy to straighten it out
Now back to Pirates

Interesting rationalization. I like it!

Anyway, with this new pin coming out I think it’s important for us to notify Caribbean officials. Including the president of the Virgin Islands!

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Now that's some funny shit. Made me spit out my Pepsi. Lmao.

Skymont, make yourself useful and go get us a pic of the CE PF!

#113 6 years ago

I don't have any interest in the movies, so the theme doesn't excite me. If a theme doesn't interest me, it's not a game I'd consider buying. For me, it's that simple.

But this game looks like it will be great fun and I look forward to playing it on location.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Despite the fact that the last movies were pure shit it's still "Pirates" and the pin will be MUCH better than the recent movies
Great material, story and characters to work with

Agree. My initial reaction was that I wished they would just make a pirates theme of their own.

However, after giving it some more thought, it is a tremendous amount of work to come up with the details of an entire world that would span so many movies not to mention that they would have to create media from scratch to show on the big screen. Yes, they did this for DI but if you look at the display it's not nearly as compelling as seeing clips from a 100mil+ budget CGI film.

It's in large part because of the large screens today (that need to be filled with expensive content) that make it compelling to utilize a movie franchise. I think this is going to work for the best in this case.

So for all intents and purposes, I think of JJPOTC as a great pirate themed pin that utilizes some great move clips more than I think about it as a 'movie' themed pin.

#115 6 years ago

Case in point....Congo...crap movie. Congo = great pinball and great pinball theme.

My take on Pirates....I personally like the movies, especially the first one. However, there was a certain amount of "campiness" to the pirates franchise. My limited exposure the JJP suggests they don't really do "campy" but rather a beyond in depth immersion into the theme. For something like the Hobbit it makes total sense. While at first glance JJPotc certainly looks cool and unique, I seriously hope theres a lot of the comedic aspect of Captain Jack in there. And rum...lots of rum....

Full disclosure, I watched about 5 minutes of the stream. Enough to see the shots and some basic features.

#116 6 years ago

I have no interest in the movies. So I have no connection to the theme. For my home, I like to have themes that I have a connection to (and yes, I own R&B for theme). Having a machine with the faces of characters I don't recognize lessens the appeal, I don't know why I care about squidface or funny beard guy. In a lot of ways the stern version is more appealing art to me.

Now the game looks fun. The disks look cool. The ship is interesting and new. I am excited to play this in tournaments (assuming the tournament rules make sense). But selecting one of 22 characters I have never heard of, that has no appeal. Fighting through 5 stories I don't understand is less fun.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

...Make no mistakes, the Pirates franchise has produced no "Flops"

Agreed. Just because they get called "disappointing at the box office" does not mean they did not clear millions. And those figures don't include the big number. As "Yogurt" said (Mel Brooks Spaceballs) "Merchandizing".

Go to Disney World attraction Pirates Of The Caribbean gift shop. Watch that cash register line for overpriced crap. Realize this is every day and the tip of the iceberg compared to online and stores. Huge money.

Also, if you look at how good WOZ did on route, Jack is going to kill it with operators as well as home. This was a monster reveal for Jack. I hope he can keep up with the orders.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I know alot of people arent allowed to like Jonny depp so for them, CE it is! Which, IMO, looks pretty bad-ass! Theme isnt for me but I'm really fired up that JJP is making great pins. I'm REAAALLLLYYYY hopeful they do a BTTF or Goonies pin at some point. Those would be 'take my money' situations for sure.

I don't like Johhny Depp and thought all the movies were turds save the first. With that said, if the game is good, I'd consider it... but not at the price points referenced.

At $8500 for a comparatively stripped down base model, prices on these new games has become completely out of hand. I'm sure there is a subset of very wealthy that aren't price sensitive but for the vast majority, when prices are getting close to good used cars, it has gone too far.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

when prices are getting close to good used cars, it has gone too far.

I paid 5k for my 2005 Civic Hybrid with 180k miles on it about 4 years ago.... now has over 225K, and getting 30+ MPG..... we were already past the "more than a good used car" point a long time ago.

#120 6 years ago

For anyone interested:

DEEP DIVE into Pirates of the Caribbean Pinball by JJP - Likes, Dislikes, Code, Features

http://thisweekinpinball.com/pirates-caribbean-deep-dive-likes-dislikes-code-features/

123_1 (resized).jpeg123_1 (resized).jpeg

#121 6 years ago

Oh wow, I think this will be the first JJP I am in on as a pre-order. L@@KS amazing

#122 6 years ago

Happened twice in one game. First time was on the gap between the bottom ring and playfield. Hopefully they add spinning the disks to the ball search.

20171013_203646 (resized).jpg20171013_203646 (resized).jpg

#123 6 years ago

I couldn’t tell, but are the voices from the movie actors in the game?

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I couldn’t tell, but are the voices from the movie actors in the game?

Kevin McNally, the guy who plays First Mate Gibbs in the movies, did the custom callouts.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Happened twice in one game. First time was on the gap between the bottom ring and playfield. Hopefully they add spinning the disks to the ball search.

I hope those disks are not wood and have easy adjustments. There are way too many edges to wear otherwise.

Think Black Rose cannon disk. Hard to get just right and damaging when not.

#126 6 years ago

I'm still waiting to see WTF an "edge lit spinner" is. No pictures of that from anyone? Trying to figure out how you sandwich in a sheet of acrylic and a LED, and get power to it into the middle of a spinner.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Another observation from the stream is that no one made the Cannon Shot, including skilled players or JJP folks. It seems that ago may need to be re thought.

I played this several times. The reason the cannon shot was almost unobtainable, is because they changed the rocking motion to almost nonexistant, and made it always to the left, so you can hold the ball on the left side. Normally you can backhand that shot easy and were trying to make it so people can make the shot. Problem is, when they did that, the ball would just stay crotched even with the flipper down. making so the backhand thing didn't work. You can adjust how much rocking, and what angles the mini playfield moves. In a normal setting the shot is doable.

I have to say, I was actually pleased and surprised this game turns out to be really good. Felt great in the shot layout. Had plenty of shots available. Didn't feel confined like WOZ does. Screen display is still a little confusing, but easier to understand than hobbit. But not quite as easy as dialed in. But they are working on that aspect. So far I really like where this one is headed and it may be a JJP game I would want to own down the road.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

The part that interests me is that there was mention that players will be able to steal points and even bonus balls from other players.

Right, the spinner in the middle can line up awards like "Plunder - Opponents - Score".

#130 6 years ago

Since there is a Johnny Depp likeness after all, any hopes of a donnie brasco pin? That's one of his best.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I played this several times. The reason the cannon shot was almost unobtainable, is because they changed the rocking motion to almost nonexistant, and made it always to the left, so you can hold the ball on the left side. Normally you can backhand that shot easy and were trying to make it so people can make the shot. Problem is, when they did that, the ball would just stay crotched even with the flipper down. making so the backhand thing didn't work. You can adjust how much rocking, and what angles the mini playfield moves. In a normal setting the shot is doable.
I have to say, I was actually pleased and surprised this game turns out to be really good. Felt great in the shot layout. Had plenty of shots available. Didn't feel confined like WOZ does. Screen display is still a little confusing, but easier to understand than hobbit. But not quite as easy as dialed in. But they are working on that aspect. So far I really like where this one is headed and it may be a JJP game I would want to own down the road.

Holy Shit! Neo has something nice to say about JJP? I realize it was 2am when you posted, but damn.

I just messing with you. I'm glad you like the game. I think it's going to be a big hit for the company.

#132 6 years ago

I have woke up the last 2 days thinking about the Pirates game. This kind of excite about a pinball machine hasn’t happened in a longtime for me. Glad I went to expo and got to play it. If you have the chance, check it out.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Another observation from the stream is that no one made the Cannon Shot, including skilled players or JJP folks. It seems that ago may need to be re thought.

I made it on my second attempt on Friday morning. I don't consider myself to be a great player either.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Spider:

Hi,
what about the music, is it the original Motion Picture Soundtrack from the movies?

That is the key for me to purchase a collector's edition, all elements have to be aligned... look, gameplay and original voice and music for it to be a true CE or LE. This is a big reason why the TRON pin is such a success!

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

That is the key for me to purchase a collector's edition, all elements have to be aligned... look, gameplay and original voice and music for it to be a true CE or LE. This is a big reason why the TRON pin is such a success!

You have an Avengers and Transformers.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

yes I and never really play them , they are just sitting there ...

#137 6 years ago

It is a bummer about their being no video clips. There are a number of great video scenes that would have contributed to the total visual package. I feel like the video clips make the Hobbit a real stand out. Over all though, this game looks amazing. I cannot wait to play it.

#138 6 years ago

POTCr looks fantastic with all the sculpted pieces and ship parts. Compass looks really cool and it has a BIG impact on the game's experience. I wonder if having three spinning discs right above flippers introduces so much randomness, that it renders the game unappealing to tourney players, who traditionally despise the uncontrollable and unknown.

I actually dig pirates and enjoy POTC theme with Depp too, but am not automatically a customer. POTCr is growing on me and LE is whispering in my ear, despite it's outrageous price! Following further developments.

#139 6 years ago

JJP should diligently work with Disney to get a half dozen POTCr's into all of their theme parks and gift catalog. The opportunity for public exposure under Disney's sails could really juice sales... to infinity and beyond!

IMG_0503 (resized).JPGIMG_0503 (resized).JPG

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

it makes the game unappealing to tourney players who despise the uncontrollable unknown

As a tournament player, that's a concern of mine, yes....but at the same time, I LOVE stuff like magnets under the playfield. LAH is probably my favorite Data East game because the magnets are so nuts on that game. I watched some of the gameplay... I think it's actually better having it down there than say....up near the top like on Stern NBA. That POS would throw stuff STDM and out the sides all the time and there was nothing at all you could do about it.

JJPOTC ball movement looks more like....erm....Orbiter 1. Not even kidding. Look at how the ball moves, and how it moves on O1. It's very similar, IMO. Orbiter 1 is a weird game but still just AWESOME to play once you get used to it. I expect this will be much the same. It's going to take some adjusting, and with it that close to the flippers, I don't think we're going to see any more STDM drains caused by it *directly* than say...Sparky on Met. Much more likely it throws into a slingshot which causes a drain if you don't nudge it up, I think. I don't know how on earth they got these things to all spin independently of each other, and bi-directonally too. It's pretty bloody awesome.

The character powers, random modes that might not be balanced in difficulty or scoring, and wheel awards are far more concerning for tournament play.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

It is a bummer about their being no video clips. There are a number of great video scenes that would have contributed to the total visual package. I feel like the video clips make the Hobbit a real stand out. Over all though, this game looks amazing. I cannot wait to play it.

Is it that there are no video clips now or that there will be no clips ever? No clips ever would take the game down a few notches and severely diminish the appeal of a Toy Story or Muppets future release (if those didn't/can't have clips either)

#142 6 years ago

Can we clarify that no video clips doesn’t mean there will be no video clips / it means you can’t use the actors in close up doing physical stuff or speaking. It doesn’t mean there won’t be any video of pirates and ships and cannons firing and everything. Disney doesn’t own those rights so JJP couldn’t license them.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

As a tournament player, that's a concern of mine, yes....but at the same time, I LOVE stuff like magnets under the playfield. LAH is probably my favorite Data East game because the magnets are so nuts on that game. I watched some of the gameplay... I think it's actually better having it down there than say....up near the top like on Stern NBA. That POS would throw stuff STDM and out the sides all the time and there was nothing at all you could do about it.
JJPOTC ball movement looks more like....erm....Orbiter 1. Not even kidding. Look at how the ball moves, and how it moves on O1. It's very similar, IMO. Orbiter 1 is a weird game but still just AWESOME to play once you get used to it. I expect this will be much the same. It's going to take some adjusting, and with it that close to the flippers, I don't think we're going to see any more STDM drains caused by it *directly* than say...Sparky on Met. Much more likely it throws into a slingshot which causes a drain if you don't nudge it up, I think. I don't know how on earth they got these things to all spin independently of each other, and bi-directonally too. It's pretty bloody awesome.
The character powers, random modes that might not be balanced in difficulty or scoring, and wheel awards are far more concerning for tournament play.

I'm sure with tourney players like Keefer and Joe K. Writing software for the game that they'll put in tourney mode that alleviates the randomness and will make the game suitable for tournaments. I think the game looks fun as hell to play at home with friends with some of the strategy and randomness on default settings. Really cool to have a game that is a new experience every time you play it with the mode randomization. This is the most revolutionary pin we've seen in some time!

#144 6 years ago

Oh yeah, totally. I love a good backstab outside of tournament play. Lock stealing is my jam.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Reserve judgements after playing the game. Game is awesome

#146 6 years ago

Impressed with the game. Game play looks really good. I usually do not like the clunky feel of wide-bodies however, this one appears fast like TZ. The POC title is cool. I grew up on Anaheim so I spent a lot of time at Disney and on the ride(dad was teacher and worked Disney in the summers)lol. The first movie was great. The rest just so-so. I must say I have all the JJ titles and they are quality machines! They get better and better! Dialed In machine is the best I have seen to date! Look forward to picking up this title. CE#19

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Can we clarify that no video clips doesn’t mean there will be no video clips / it means you can’t use the actors in close up doing physical stuff or speaking. It doesn’t mean there won’t be any video of pirates and ships and cannons firing and everything. Disney doesn’t own those rights so JJP couldn’t license them.

Movie video clips. Obviously JJP can use imagery or video that is not Disney owned, but is approved.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

HEY! TF is a good game and looks awesome. Just enough elements of gen 1 to hold my interest.

I agree. I'm excited to have this game in the wild.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Skymont, make yourself useful and go get us a pic of the CE PF!

I will try. When ya coming to VA?

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I will try. When ya coming to VA?

Yeah, somehow "edge lit spinners" keep escaping the lens...that needs to be fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4/page/3?hl=jsampel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.