IMG_0504 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
kagen1 (resized).jpg
you-sir-are-a-knob-head (resized).jpg
20171016_052641.png
IMG_0503 (resized).JPG

There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 6 years ago

I'm lukewarm on the theme, and the art from the pics doesn't wow me (will probably look better in person). Toys look cool, what I could hear of the sound was sweet.

Definitely out on the price though. Be about $12k CDN shipped for the base model.

Oddly enough, (from a person who loves mode based pins), one thing that concerns me is the number of modes. Not sure how unique and interesting each mode can be with so many, will it be "you hit one shot and completed a mode!!!"? Won't really know until I get a chance to play. Hopefully one of the more deep pocketed pinheads near me will get one.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I'm lukewarm on the theme, and the art from the pics doesn't wow me (will probably look better in person). Toys look cool, what I could hear of the sound was sweet.
Definitely out on the price though. Be about $12k CDN shipped for the base model.
Oddly enough, (from a person who loves mode based pins), one thing that concerns me is the number of modes. Not sure how unique and interesting each mode can be with so many, will it be "you hit one shot and completed a mode!!!"? Won't really know until I get a chance to play. Hopefully one of the more deep pocketed pinheads near me will get one.

There are 125 modes in the game. 25 from each movie. Game pics 5 modes from each movie randomly at the start of each game. You also have a choice between 22 characters from the movie making the options on this game practically endless (3.25 sextillion variations). Each has advantages.

#53 6 years ago

Only saw the first one. I know maybe 4 characters. JDouch, The girl, squid face guy...

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

There are 125 modes in the game. 25 from each movie. Game pics 5 modes from each movie randomly at the start of each game. You also have a choice between 22 characters from the movie making the options on this game practically endless (3.25 sextillion variations). Each has advantages.

I get it. But the "3.25 sextillion variations" statement reminds me of Borderlands (awesome game), with their trillions of unique guns. Great marketing blurb, but in general most of the guns are very similar, and some are completely useless.

Trying to make 125 unique and interesting modes, with 22 characters having unique (and interesting) but non-balance changing attributes sounds like a herculean game design task. While I have no doubt Keith is the right guy for the challenge given his experience and previous machines, I have seen this kind of approach fall short in video games, makes me leery of it in a pinball machine.

Looking forward to putting some time in on one to see for myself though.

#55 6 years ago

Anyone that has played this, can you compare pure game play vs. DI? Trying to decide which to choose.

Also on JJPotc it seems like you get even more for the $1000 upgrade to LE. JJP'S site mentions a shaker motor (as well as invisiglass, powder coating, and the two toys). Did I miss anything? This seems like more of an upgrade than DILE.

Another observation from the stream is that no one made the Cannon Shot, including skilled players or JJP folks. It seems that ago may need to be re thought.

#56 6 years ago

Hi,

what about the music, is it the original Motion Picture Soundtrack from the movies?

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Anyone that has played this, can you compare pure game play vs. DI? Trying to decide which to choose.
Also on JJPotc it seems like you get even more for the $1000 upgrade to LE. JJP'S site mentions a shaker motor (as well as invisiglass, powder coating, and the two toys). Did I miss anything? This seems like more of an upgrade than DILE.
Another observation from the stream is that no one made the Cannon Shot, including skilled players or JJP folks. It seems that ago may need to be re thought.

It’s really hard to say. The lower part of the pf has the feel of DI with the way the magnets toss the ball around, but the upper half is completely different. Overall, it felt different than the other three games. I wasn’t impressed with the upper play field and the rocking action, but admittedly I don’t know the rules around it and I’m sure it will wind up being a cool feature. If you are a collector and think you’ll keep the game a long time, I’d go after the le. If you think you might play it a while and then maybe sell, go for the standard.

#58 6 years ago

What are the modes like? Hobbit has a bunch of modes but didn’t do anything for me.

At 125 I’m guessing that maybe there are a smaller number of unique rules for modes and lot of re-skinning which videos get played.

#59 6 years ago

JJP's best reveal by far. Game looks like a ton of fun.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I get it. But the "3.25 sextillion variations" statement reminds me of Borderlands (awesome game), with their trillions of unique guns. Great marketing blurb, but in general most of the guns are very similar, and some are completely useless.
Trying to make 125 unique and interesting modes, with 22 characters having unique (and interesting) but non-balance changing attributes sounds like a herculean game design task. While I have no doubt Keith is the right guy for the challenge given his experience and previous machines, I have seen this kind of approach fall short in video games, makes me leery of it in a pinball machine.
Looking forward to putting some time in on one to see for myself though.

I think in the end this sextellion modes thing will not deliver anything that great, but on the bright side, it limits how many modes are available in a single game, which compared to Hobbit may be the best part about it.

#61 6 years ago

A redone theme = boring. The pin may play great and appears to have some interesting features but the movie is/was middle of the road at best.

We need a little more thought on theming these days and this one is disappointing, to say the least. Just when you thought they couldn't do as bad as theming WOZ they did.

#62 6 years ago

Interesting theme choice for JJP4. I was hoping that they would reveal something unexpected, but alas it was not to be. Nevertheless, I really don't give a shit about theme, as long as it offers me enjoyment and a challenge. It looks fun and I can't wait to play it.

#63 6 years ago

Four bad themes in a row...JJP is on a roll!

#64 6 years ago

Did they finally do away with those annoying rollover buttons!? I love the WOZ theme but hated how it would curve the ball from the rollover.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Four dopey comments in a row....you're on a roll....

#66 6 years ago

Says the guy that owns an Aerosmith and Shadow. Talk about horrific themes lol

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Says the guy that owns an Aerosmith and Shadow. Talk about horrific themes lol

Haha funny...but do keep in mind those are both better themes than Pirates. And also better than Wizard of Oz & Dialed In!

The last 2 or 3 Pirates movies have been colossal flops in every way.

Next up from JJP:

Baywatch!

#68 6 years ago

Crazy question but for anyone at the reveal, how was the lighting? I could see it was in a light room, but could the game benefit from a pinstadium if it was used in a dark environment? Clearly woz benefits from added light.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

The DI LE upgrade was marginally worth the extra $1K, but I bought it anyways...it included invisiglass, lite ramps, blue powder coating trim (which looks great), and printed manual (which nobody to my knowledge has received yet)...it appears that the POTC LE has even more value over the standard, but its too early to tell....you can't go wrong with DI LE...its incredibly well done...

#70 6 years ago

The additional movies to use for content must have made designing this game fun - especially, with the lcd screen being used.

#72 6 years ago

Hmmm. Not to get political since this doesn't seem like the right place for it. I actually agree with both posters points being made but I think Tron's point was actually apolitical... He just mentioned an actors potentially illegal action for calling for violence.

#73 6 years ago

Wow, do you have an issue with open source?

RedHat (resized).pngRedHat (resized).png

#74 6 years ago

Damn, this game looks freaking amazing. Too bad I find the theme to be horrible. I hope JJP never does get a theme I love though or I'll be spending a lot more money than I ever should on a pinball machine!

#75 6 years ago

It seems to look like a pinball machine. They seem to be refining their build quality and development. Very polished.

That said, JJ continues to underwhelm. I'm in the camp that theme matters. Its like getting a 60" 4k flat screenTV and its stuck on the wrong channel.

I'll throw out the first speculation of JJP#5. Martha Stewart Cooking School. 'cuz JJP gets it'

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

It seems to look like a pinball machine. They seem to be refining their build quality and development. Very polished.
That said, JJ continues to underwhelm. I'm in the camp that theme matters. Its like getting a 60" 4k flat screenTV and its stuck on the wrong channel.
I'll throw out the first speculation of JJP#5. Martha Stewart Cooking School. 'cuz JJP gets it'

Perfect someone that understands the importance of the theme of a pin.

I'll rephrase it, redoing a theme that isn't that great to start with lacks imagination.

#77 6 years ago

I find the comments about the theme amusing after looking at what they own. Bottom line, you won’t pay the price. My question is $9500-$11,500, where is the ceiling on a great quality game? I would love to have it, way too high.

#78 6 years ago

The game looks good but the theme sucks, what else is new with JJP. An original Pirate theme would have been so much better.

#79 6 years ago

I really don't get it... All these JJP games sound and have vfx that look like slot machines. People really enjoy this? Maybe because I also don't understand what draws people towards video slots either. Sorry just not on board. I'll check it out at expo if I can but doubt this is something I'd ever get interested in. The play field looks great though.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The game looks good but the theme sucks, what else is new with JJP. An original Pirate theme would have been so much better.

Black Rose 2?

POTC has name recognition, known story line and a ton of assets like movie clips, sounds, . . . It does make sense.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

POTC has name recognition, known story line and a ton od assets like movie clips, sounds, . . . It does make sense.

Oh I agree with that 100%, I would have preferred original is all, and yes Black Rose 2 would have been great.

#83 6 years ago

While I do find this choice of theme a bit curious, I don't think you could label the Pirates movie franchise a flop in any way. Disney does not play a losing hand, that you can take to the bank!

Here are the budget costs and the worldwide box office takes for the last three films:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End budget- $300M box- $963M (plus it counts Keith Richards among its cast list making it pretty much priceless )

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides budget- $410M box- $1B

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales budget- $230M box- $794

I think JJP has done a fantastic job with the game and certainly seem to have delivered on some very deep code. What I am most excited about though, is the fact that they were able to get their hands on Disney IP. Something Stern seemed to have a monopoly on for a while. Maybe they will get a crack at Star Wars down the road, after all.

I'm not sure that Disney cares much about such a niche market, but if they are paying attention to the product being turned out with their IP, Stern would do good to take notice.

#85 6 years ago

Looks like a fun game. WAAAAAAAAY better than The Hobbit. Ill bet its a hit.

#86 6 years ago

I know you're joking, but it's not gonna happen. The Red Hat name is HUGE!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-becomes-first-2b-open-source-company/

#87 6 years ago

Really cool SDTM Exclusive flyby of JJP POTC! Better than last night's that we did

#88 6 years ago

I am in. I own Hobbit and WOZ.....Wishing I had DI.

#89 6 years ago

Haha funny...but do keep in mind those are both better themes than Pirates. And also better than Wizard of Oz & Dialed In!
Next up from JJP:
Baywatch!

Sure. And weather (lightning) and water (WH20) are way better themes than Pirates.

Try. Harder.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

+1

#91 6 years ago

I finally got to watch most of the stream from the reveal and I think the game is amazing. POTC isn't my favorite theme, but it's a great resource to build a pin from that will have wide appeal. This looks like a much bigger hit to me than DI and has me excited about a JJP again.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

$8500 SE, $9500 LE, $12,500 CE

I don't quite follow; JJP's site shows this pricing as MSRP [Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price], if it is 'suggested retail' then why are dealers not able to sell for less?

Who charges retail prices?

#93 6 years ago

I wasn't that keen on the theme but it just looks like so much fun. My DI gets here in about a week and if it is fun as I think it will be my ACDC and Metallica are going to fund this.

#94 6 years ago

I'm not a fan of any of the movies, but I like the theme of pirates in general. And I can tell you after playing for a couple of hours that if you feel the same way, you'll love the way the theme is handled here.

#95 6 years ago

Next up from JJP:
Baywatch!

A "Flop" when used as an adjective for a movie, play, or other form of sellable merchandise, describes whether or not it was profitable. I can assure you, all 5 Pirates movies made Disney a lot of money. There were no flops in this franchise.

Now, if you had used the word "Stinkers" or "Crap", then you could be justified in your opinion.

Make no mistakes, the Pirates franchise has produced no "Flops"

#96 6 years ago

Too close to JPOP!

POTC2018 maybe...

#97 6 years ago

Looks cool but for the price I'd rather get two other pins...

#98 6 years ago

This is the first JJP game I could see myself owning. Great job, Jack and company!

#99 6 years ago

Really be interested to see what these guys could do with GOTG license...........

#100 6 years ago

JJP should consider offering a package discount of DI LE and JJPOTC LE for $17,000.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
There are 365 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp-4/page/2?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.