(Topic ID: 247066)

Pirates LE Screen Display Issue after Code Update How to Fix?

By DreamTR

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pirates 2 (resized).jpg
    Pirates (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DreamTR.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Anyone know how to fix this issue that I have after updating the code?

Pirates (resized).jpgPirates (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomb_n_Arrow:

Could you post a picture of your "Hardware Info" screen?

Pirates 2 (resized).jpgPirates 2 (resized).jpg
    #7 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Since this happened after an update. And turning the game off and back on didn't fix it.
    I'd do a full install next.
    LTG : )

We did a full install again, same result. Now we are back to 0.98.

This went from 0.96 to 0.99 and then we reverted to Delta and now 0.98

Nothing magically disconnected monitor wise when the update was put in....

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomb_n_Arrow:

I hate to respond with more questions, but if you wouldn't mind answering a few to help in diagnosis:
    Are both your monitors displaying a picture?
    Can you check to ensure both are securely plugged in?
    What ports are each monitor plugged into?
    Does the apron monitor appear to turn on, even if to a black screen?

It isn't a monitor issue. I will answer these tomorrow but the game was fine before the update.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if motherboard bios got corrupted.
    Best give Frank a call tomorrow.

I have bad luck with these. One update bricked Hobbit completely 2 years back.

#12 4 years ago

Apron monitor is on with black screen . that is newest info.

#13 4 years ago

Still same issue

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if motherboard bios got corrupted.
    Best give Frank a call tomorrow.

Tried. No answer twice.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Dang Jason, you have the worst luck with jjp

Yes, yes I do. Wizard of Oz, Hobbit, and now this.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This confused me. Where did you get a delta from. The only thing on the website is 0.99 Full Install. Did you follow the full install directions ?

I am going by what my guys told me, they went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it did this screen thing.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would try a dvi to vga adapter to verify that it is good....

It is using HDMI. And the monitor comes up correct but when it boots to software the image is 1/3

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Very odd. Normally it detects what size monitor it’s dealing with and adjusts. Did you try deleting the .iso file you downloaded from your computer in case it’s corrupted and starting over with a new download?

Yes, did all that. Went to 0.98 and 0.99 twice now but I can't go back to 0.96 since there is no way to get that from the site.

Either way it doesn't sound like they know what this issue is. We updated 3 Jersey Jack games with no issues that day and this one did this. Successful updates on Wonka, Hobbit (again, the one where the whole game bricked once on an update), Dialed In.

#35 4 years ago

He said this happened. Keep in mind I don't know what / how this works and the whole process sounds mega confusing:

"Yeah. I did the full for 0.99 then the delta 0.97>0.98"

I don't see a 0.97

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really beginning to sound like it wasn't done right.
    If 0.99 was in there, you can't load a lower number Delta in there, not to mention where did those downloads come from.
    Anybody else local to you that can follow directions and do a Full Install of 0.99 for you ?

Ok, how would we always update the games properly and then "not" install this one properly?

This is what I am understanding now.

He installed 0.99 from 0.96. THAT is when it messed up. There is ONE way to install it.

THEN he tried to go BACK to an older version but it was Delta version 0.97 to 0.98. Same result. Tried to go to to 0.99 result. Same again.

So there isn't anything else that c an be done wrong, he went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it screwed up. There isn't anything he did wrong there.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

Ok, how would we always update the previous games properly and then "not" install this one properly?
    This is what I am understanding now.
    He installed 0.99 from 0.96. THAT is when it messed up. There is ONE way to install it.
    THEN he tried to go BACK to an older version but it was Delta version 0.97 to 0.98. Same result. Tried to go to to 0.99 result. Same again.
    So there isn't anything else that c an be done wrong, he went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it screwed up. There isn't anything he did wrong there.

Keep in mind we had Hobbit brick the entire game once, and WOZ had numerous problems on updating as well for us. It's not like we are inept and corrupting our own stuff.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry, just trying to help. Looks like you know what you are doing.

I appreciate you trying to help, I just didn't like the "looks like you screwed it up is there someone there that knows what they are doing that can do a full install" comment.

A lot of these updates are easy for some people and hard for others to comprehend. The way this is setup was like all the others but for some reason the monitor derped after 0.99 and there is no "going back" to 0.96 so we tried to go back to whatever version was left, 0.98...I will say that no Stern update code has ever done anything harmful to our games but 3 of the 5 JJP pin games I have had (I do not own Wizard of Oz) have had horrendous track records with these updates and I have had way more Sterns that JJP. If we didn't just update 3 pins that day from JJP sure, maybe we screwed something up but not this.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LTG is just helping out, as is his nature (and his actual job!). Clearly you get that
    But the description of how the game was updated doesn’t make sense. Maybe there is some inadvertent part of the update process that is being done correctly but it on a faulty piece of hardware? Did you try multiple USB drives?

I updated it from 0.96 to 0.99.

What does not make sense? That is where the fault happened.

And as I stated previously, we updated 3 JJP games successfully the same day with the same USB drive.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

This is a PC nothing more. So with that being said the resolution isnt being set right as the monitor isn't being detected correctly.
    I assume it's some freeware linux JJP uses so it would be helpful if they would tell you to attach a USB keyboard and do a certain keystroke to go into a GUI interface to manually set it.
    What you can try is attaching a TV or a computer monitor and see if that is recognized correctly (the system is forced to use another monitor ID). Then shut the pin off, attach pin monitor and fire back up. Itll cause the monitor to be redirected and maybe you'll get lucky.

No we did that. Same result.

#51 4 years ago

Nope. Going to go back to 0.90 tomorrow and hope a jjp drive with 0.99 works

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Nope? What was the behavior when you switched the cables?

Same as the other monitor, 1/3 screen.

1 week later
    #55 4 years ago

Update just so everyone knows.

New code from JJP drive put in. Same issue.

Was told cable from little monitor to CPU was issue.

They sent that, installed that, same issue.

So we are still at square 1, 1/3 screen remains.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

So let me get this straight. Directly after you updated code your main monitor will only display the whole video output on 1/3 or so of the physical screen? And if you swap cables between monitors (apparently you have two HDMI cables and monitors in use, I have dvi and vga) the 1/3 issue travels to the other monitor? So the proper content is shown respective of the monitor but now only 1/3 of the screen on the small monitor works? I'm trying to follow the details.
    It's either the cable, os/drivers or motherboard if this is the case. Do you have any other HDMI cable to try from a tv or something? I'd try to exclude jjp provided components as much as possible to eliminate component and source. Use a new HDMI and computer monitor or tv if you have one, etc. Only thing that would be untouched is the motherboard.
    If you still have an issue then it's either motherboard/pc component, os/driver or possibly game software (I have no idea how the game software interacts with os level hardware control, it obviously controls display parameters but not sure if it could be at fault).
    Either way it should be stupid cheap for them to send you mobo and hard drive. Like stupid cheap. If you know it isn't monitor and cable then that's all that is left and it's all replaced in 2 components.

They told me it was my USB thing that may have been corrupted even though we updated two other JJP games that day with no issue. They sent me their full code on it which I had to pay $22 for. Same issue.

Then they told me it was my cable from the little monitor to the CPU. They sent me another one of those. Same issue.

When I did this with the DVI cable to HDMI cable it did the same thing on my monitor to their monitor, etc. THat is the only thing not changed at this point. The motherboard has to be the issue because of one big glaring thing...nothing was wrong until I installed this code update.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

They told me it was my USB thing that may have been corrupted even though we updated two other JJP games that day with no issue. They sent me their full code on it which I had to pay $22 for. Same issue.
    Then they told me it was my cable from the little monitor to the CPU. They sent me another one of those. Same issue.
    When I did this with the DVI cable to HDMI cable it did the same thing on my monitor to their monitor, etc. THat is the only thing not changed at this point. The motherboard has to be the issue because of one big glaring thing...nothing was wrong until I installed this code update.

I get no picture on the small monitor but 1/3 of the screen on the big monitor.

I only get big monitor picture if I plug the cable from the little monitor to the big monitor INSTEAD of the cpu

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

same here, and it was on hobbit as a matter of fact.

well it was proven that was definitely not the case here.

2 weeks later
    #62 4 years ago

Update, I was told I needed a new LCD. They shipped a replacement. We still have the same issue with the game. So now I have been told it is my USB, my cable, and now the LCD.

I stand by day 1 this being a CPU issue.

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

CPU meaning something with the mobo/cpu/hard drive combo, yeah. Most likely the mobo because it has the video card built in. Doubt it is software, just seems coincidental to your update which made it harder to diagnose. Unlikely the actual CPU or the hard drive, but if it were me I'd just send them all out and ask for the others shipped back with a return label. But that's just me.

It still goes back to the assumption of it being noted as "my fault" initially with "did I get someone to put the code in right" and "do you have some qualified that knows what they are doing" etc etc. I know that is essentially doing their job but we aren't new to this and again, it's a location pin. We have tons of machines and have been open 11 years. I just want the thing fixed already so it is mega frustrating having an incomplete $9000+ item.

I hope Wonka doesn't have issues. It's already reset twice.

2 weeks later
    #67 4 years ago

Game now works, and it was the CPU that was the issue.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DreamTR.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-le-screen-display-issue-after-code-update-how-to-fix?tu=DreamTR and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.