(Topic ID: 247066)

Pirates LE Screen Display Issue after Code Update How to Fix?

By DreamTR

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pirates 2 (resized).jpg
    Pirates (resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Anyone know how to fix this issue that I have after updating the code?

Pirates (resized).jpgPirates (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Could you post a picture of your "Hardware Info" screen?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomb_n_Arrow:

Could you post a picture of your "Hardware Info" screen?

Pirates 2 (resized).jpgPirates 2 (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago

Thanks, looking into it now.

#5 4 years ago

I hate to respond with more questions, but if you wouldn't mind answering a few to help in diagnosis:

Are both your monitors displaying a picture?
    Can you check to ensure both are securely plugged in?
    What ports are each monitor plugged into?
    Does the apron monitor appear to turn on, even if to a black screen?

#6 4 years ago

Since this happened after an update. And turning the game off and back on didn't fix it.

I'd do a full install next.

LTG : )

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Since this happened after an update. And turning the game off and back on didn't fix it.
    I'd do a full install next.

We did a full install again, same result. Now we are back to 0.98.

This went from 0.96 to 0.99 and then we reverted to Delta and now 0.98

Nothing magically disconnected monitor wise when the update was put in....

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomb_n_Arrow:

I hate to respond with more questions, but if you wouldn't mind answering a few to help in diagnosis:
    Are both your monitors displaying a picture?
    Can you check to ensure both are securely plugged in?
    What ports are each monitor plugged into?
    Does the apron monitor appear to turn on, even if to a black screen?

It isn't a monitor issue. I will answer these tomorrow but the game was fine before the update.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

We did a full install again, same result.

I wonder if motherboard bios got corrupted.

Best give Frank a call tomorrow.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I have bad luck with these. One update bricked Hobbit completely 2 years back.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

It isn't a monitor issue. I will answer these tomorrow but the game was fine before the update.

I hear what you are saying, but understanding the exact state of the monitor is important for us to be able to help. The hardware info is reporting that the smaller monitor isn't connected. There are several possible reasons for this.

Seeing as this problem is currently limited to one machine, we have to rule out all obvious one-off problems.

#12 4 years ago

Apron monitor is on with black screen . that is newest info.

#13 4 years ago

Still same issue

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Tried. No answer twice.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

Tried. No answer twice.

One of your calls came in too late today. They were likely already gone. I alerted it for Frank or Steve.

Call earlier on Monday.

#16 4 years ago

Very odd. Normally it detects what size monitor it’s dealing with and adjusts. Did you try deleting the .iso file you downloaded from your computer in case it’s corrupted and starting over with a new download?

#17 4 years ago

Dang Jason, you have the worst luck with jjp

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Very odd. Normally it detects what size monitor it’s dealing with and adjusts. Did you try deleting the .iso file you downloaded from your computer in case it’s corrupted and starting over with a new download?

Any chance the motherboard bios got corrupted ?

#20 4 years ago

Does the update change the mobo bios? That's fancy.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Does the update change the mobo bios?

It shouldn't.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It shouldn't.

Ah ok, thought maybe you were saying it could. The update install process is easy, love it. Continuous backups to the USB drive would be sweet. Just leave it in the backbox.

#23 4 years ago

What happens if you flip-flop the hdmi cables? Does the no display detected follow it to the other port?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What happens if you flip-flop the hdmi cables? Does the no display detected follow it to the other port?

Will the opposite resolutions show up on the other monitor? I haven't ever tried that, do they auto resize or detect maybe?

#25 4 years ago

Ah you can't swap, one is DVI and the other VGA.

#26 4 years ago

Ah you can't swap, one is DVI and the other VGA.

I would try a dvi to vga adapter to verify that it is good....

#27 4 years ago

Just seems odd that a hardware issue would show after a software update. Unless drivers have changed, etc.

#28 4 years ago

Just seems odd that a hardware issue would show after a software update. Unless drivers have changed, etc.

Agreed... but I would definitely do a quick port swap just to rule out hardware. I dont know how many times I spent troubleshooting something more complex because I took the simple solution for granted.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

This went from 0.96 to 0.99 and then we reverted to Delta and now 0.98

This confused me. Where did you get a delta from. The only thing on the website is 0.99 Full Install. Did you follow the full install directions ?

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Dang Jason, you have the worst luck with jjp

Yes, yes I do. Wizard of Oz, Hobbit, and now this.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

This confused me. Where did you get a delta from. The only thing on the website is 0.99 Full Install. Did you follow the full install directions ?

I am going by what my guys told me, they went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it did this screen thing.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would try a dvi to vga adapter to verify that it is good....

It is using HDMI. And the monitor comes up correct but when it boots to software the image is 1/3

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes, did all that. Went to 0.98 and 0.99 twice now but I can't go back to 0.96 since there is no way to get that from the site.

Either way it doesn't sound like they know what this issue is. We updated 3 Jersey Jack games with no issues that day and this one did this. Successful updates on Wonka, Hobbit (again, the one where the whole game bricked once on an update), Dialed In.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

I am going by what my guys told me, they went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it did this screen thing.

Since 0.99 is a Full Install and not a Delta Install. Do you know which they did ? They are different and you can't use a Delta to do a Full Install.

#35 4 years ago

He said this happened. Keep in mind I don't know what / how this works and the whole process sounds mega confusing:

"Yeah. I did the full for 0.99 then the delta 0.97>0.98"

I don't see a 0.97

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

He said this happened. Keep in mind I don't know what / how this works and the whole process sounds mega confusing:

"Yeah. I did the full for 0.99 then the delta 0.97>0.98"

I don't see a 0.97

Really beginning to sound like it wasn't done right.

If 0.99 was in there, you can't load a lower number Delta in there, not to mention where did those downloads come from.

Anybody else local to you that can follow directions and do a Full Install of 0.99 for you ?

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Really beginning to sound like it wasn't done right.
    If 0.99 was in there, you can't load a lower number Delta in there, not to mention where did those downloads come from.
    Anybody else local to you that can follow directions and do a Full Install of 0.99 for you ?

Ok, how would we always update the games properly and then "not" install this one properly?

This is what I am understanding now.

He installed 0.99 from 0.96. THAT is when it messed up. There is ONE way to install it.

THEN he tried to go BACK to an older version but it was Delta version 0.97 to 0.98. Same result. Tried to go to to 0.99 result. Same again.

So there isn't anything else that c an be done wrong, he went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it screwed up. There isn't anything he did wrong there.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

Ok, how would we always update the previous games properly and then "not" install this one properly?
    This is what I am understanding now.
    He installed 0.99 from 0.96. THAT is when it messed up. There is ONE way to install it.
    THEN he tried to go BACK to an older version but it was Delta version 0.97 to 0.98. Same result. Tried to go to to 0.99 result. Same again.
    So there isn't anything else that c an be done wrong, he went from 0.96 to 0.99 and it screwed up. There isn't anything he did wrong there.

Keep in mind we had Hobbit brick the entire game once, and WOZ had numerous problems on updating as well for us. It's not like we are inept and corrupting our own stuff.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

Keep in mind we had Hobbit brick the entire game once, and WOZ had numerous problems on updating as well for us. It's not like we are inept and corrupting our own stuff.

I'm sorry, just trying to help. Looks like you know what you are doing.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry, just trying to help. Looks like you know what you are doing.

I appreciate you trying to help, I just didn't like the "looks like you screwed it up is there someone there that knows what they are doing that can do a full install" comment.

A lot of these updates are easy for some people and hard for others to comprehend. The way this is setup was like all the others but for some reason the monitor derped after 0.99 and there is no "going back" to 0.96 so we tried to go back to whatever version was left, 0.98...I will say that no Stern update code has ever done anything harmful to our games but 3 of the 5 JJP pin games I have had (I do not own Wizard of Oz) have had horrendous track records with these updates and I have had way more Sterns that JJP. If we didn't just update 3 pins that day from JJP sure, maybe we screwed something up but not this.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

I appreciate you trying to help, I just didn't like the "looks like you screwed it up is there someone there that knows what they are doing that can do a full install" comment.
    A lot of these updates are easy for some people and hard for others to comprehend. The way this is setup was like all the others but for some reason the monitor derped after 0.99 and there is no "going back" to 0.96 so we tried to go back to whatever version was left, 0.98...I will say that no Stern update code has ever done anything harmful to our games but 3 of the 5 JJP pin games I have had (I do not own Wizard of Oz) have had horrendous track records with these updates and I have had way more Sterns that JJP. If we didn't just update 3 pins that day from JJP sure, maybe we screwed something up but not this.

LTG is just helping out, as is his nature (and his actual job!). Clearly you get that

But the description of how the game was updated doesn’t make sense. Maybe there is some inadvertent part of the update process that is being done correctly but it on a faulty piece of hardware? Did you try multiple USB drives?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LTG is just helping out, as is his nature (and his actual job!). Clearly you get that
    But the description of how the game was updated doesn’t make sense. Maybe there is some inadvertent part of the update process that is being done correctly but it on a faulty piece of hardware? Did you try multiple USB drives?

I updated it from 0.96 to 0.99.

What does not make sense? That is where the fault happened.

And as I stated previously, we updated 3 JJP games successfully the same day with the same USB drive.

#43 4 years ago

This is a PC nothing more. So with that being said the resolution isnt being set right as the monitor isn't being detected correctly.
    I assume it's some freeware linux JJP uses so it would be helpful if they would tell you to attach a USB keyboard and do a certain keystroke to go into a GUI interface to manually set it.
    What you can try is attaching a TV or a computer monitor and see if that is recognized correctly (the system is forced to use another monitor ID). Then shut the pin off, attach pin monitor and fire back up. Itll cause the monitor to be redirected and maybe you'll get lucky.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

It is using HDMI. And the monitor comes up correct but when it boots to software the image is 1/3

Are there two hdmi or just one? If two, did you swap to verify? I know what you are saying about the picture looking correct and then going bad once the software loads, and there is a good chance that it is software related, but it would be good to eliminate hardware from the equation. HDMI cables can be super flaky. Based on the error showing that it isn't detecting that second monitor via hdmi, for piece of mind, I would verify you can follow the behavior from one monitor to the other.

#45 4 years ago

I am sure this has been tried, but just in case. Have you tried downloading the software on a different computer and then running the install to usb software from that computer? I have had my macs give me a hard time once or twice, but then i just grab a windows laptop and things seem to work better.

#46 4 years ago

There is one vga and one dvi. Can't swap. Adapter maybe but those can be iffy.

If they've done installs from the same USB created the same way I wouldn't question the drive nor method to load but always worth a shot.

Op, are there any other symptoms?

#47 4 years ago

If they've done installs from the same USB created the same way I wouldn't question the drive nor method to load but always worth a shot.

I agree, but I have had a USB drive "just go bad" after using it over and over. Doesnt happen often, but it's an easy enough to try out.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

This is a PC nothing more. So with that being said the resolution isnt being set right as the monitor isn't being detected correctly.
    I assume it's some freeware linux JJP uses so it would be helpful if they would tell you to attach a USB keyboard and do a certain keystroke to go into a GUI interface to manually set it.
    What you can try is attaching a TV or a computer monitor and see if that is recognized correctly (the system is forced to use another monitor ID). Then shut the pin off, attach pin monitor and fire back up. Itll cause the monitor to be redirected and maybe you'll get lucky.

No we did that. Same result.

#49 4 years ago

He is stating his has two hdmi... if that is the case, swapping them should be super quick.

#50 4 years ago

How would he have two HDMI? Did the POTC build change at some point? At least it would be vastly different than mine, but if that is the case then definitely should try swapping.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pirates-le-screen-display-issue-after-code-update-how-to-fix?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.