You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pioneer backbox short switches (resized).jpg
Current limiter 6 v (resized).JPG
20220518_104257 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi, I recently changed some bulbs in my Pioneer backbox. I must have twisted and moved something as all my backbox lights have stopped working. The bulbs flash very briefly when the game is initiated and then flash momentarily again as the game finishes re-setting. Any suggestions for where to start? I'd appreciate it! I should mention that, although I've owned the game for several years I've managed all repairs without needing a multimeter to date, so some specific advice on how to use it in this repair would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

jones plugs, with game on move the plugs out and in a tad

#3 1 year ago

Do the coin chute lights behave the same way? If so it could be that the fuse or fuse holder between black-red and white wires.

/Mark

#4 1 year ago

Hi Pinhead52, thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a try but without results. I appreciate the suggestion (and it's something I'll keep in mind for the future).

#5 1 year ago

Thanks MarkG; I'm on my way out the door, but I will try when I get back. The coin chute lights are also out, I believe.

#6 1 year ago

Okay, MarkG was right on the money, the backbox fuse was blown. Thanks Mark! I can't believe I didn't check the fuse, but, because the lights flashed I never even thought about it. Unfortunately, when I put in a new fuse, it also blew as soon as the backbox lights came on. I'd appreciate anyone sharing next steps.

#7 1 year ago

Id remove all of the bulbs in the head and start putting them back in one by one in until you get to the one that blows the fuse. It could be a bad socket or something touching a socket or socket wire causing the short.

#8 1 year ago

Hi Bonzo, thanks for this suggestion. I'll head out tomorrow and get a bunch of fuses. I was looking at making a fuse short helper, but can't get the materials locally, so I'm going to just be prepared to blow fuses for now. This seems like a logical action and I appreciate the advice. I have an idea which bulbs to start with. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again.

#9 1 year ago

Good luck..its a great game with interesting rules including the potential 4x inball bonus on the last ball..big risk-big reward on that shot.

#10 1 year ago

I agree with you that it's a great game. I played it as a 12 year old and loved it, so I bought one upon retirement as a gift to myself (at the urging of my son). You can pull out a game and win at the last second due to that potential of 4x bonus. Not so important when you own the game, but as a 12 year old, it was amazing!

#11 1 year ago

Hey Mark, I have determined that the problem is not in the socket. I took out all the bulbs and it still blows the fuse. Any ideas?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Rawbert:

Hey Mark, I have determined that the problem is not in the socket. I took out all the bulbs and it still blows the fuse. Any ideas?

I don't think that removing all the bulbs proves anything. You could try removing the jones plugs for the backbox and coin door to see if that fixes the problem. Then plug them in one at a time to see which one blows the fuse. That might narrow down the problem. Other than that you need to examine every socket and ground wire to see if it's touching anything it shouldn't.

I'd suggest disconnecting the power while removing or replacing the jones plugs.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Other than that you need to examine every socket and ground wire to see if it's touching anything it shouldn't.

I agree that's where I would be looking since you replaced the bulbs.
20220518_104257 (resized).jpg20220518_104257 (resized).jpg
Great game just finished rebuilding a pioneer.
Raff

#14 1 year ago

Thanks guys. I'll let you know when I take the next step and how it goes.

#15 1 year ago

Raff... amazing job on that Pioneer. Incredible!

#16 1 year ago

If you took all of the bulbs out of the circuit, take one of your blown fuses and solder a bulb onto that fuse. Then put it in the fuse holder. That way you can begin to troubleshoot where the short is visually as the bulb will be lit with a short down the line.

#17 1 year ago

Hi Seamlesswall, as I'm still pretty much new to this, would you mind describing the process a bit more? I will solder on a bulb to a blown fuse later today and put it in the fuse holder. I'm assuming I'd have all Jones plugs in. What would the next step be? Do I turn on the machine and start replacing the bulbs one at a time? (Sorry for my ignorance).

I should mention, it is occurred to me that the coin chute lights never lit up.

#18 1 year ago

Look for a wire that maybe touching a higher voltage circuit.

Check the Jones Plugs and the ground braid.

Check to see if any of the bulbs sockets are being touched by another wire or grounding against something in the back box.

#19 1 year ago

You might also test in the dark and look for a spark/arc to identify the location of the short. This might take 2 people if the fuse blows quickly. You might even jump the fuse for a few seconds and quickly check the back box.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Rawbert:

Hi Seamlesswall, as I'm still pretty much new to this, would you mind describing the process a bit more? I will solder on a bulb to a blown fuse later today and put it in the fuse holder. I'm assuming I'd have all Jones plugs in. What would the next step be? Do I turn on the machine and start replacing the bulbs one at a time? (Sorry for my ignorance).

I surmise when you put a bulb back in the center spring loaded tab of a bulb holder turned and is now touching the wire to the outer portion of the holder. With all bulbs out of that circuit, using a bulb in the fuse holder acts as a current limiter so no wiring or transformer will be harmed as it's drawing so little current. It also acts now as an indicator. If there's a short, it will light up. If you feel that the problem is in the backbox as you mentioned that this problem cropped up after changing bulbs, I'd attach long enough wires to bring the indicator bulb back there. Then with jones plugs in and machine turned on I'd start monkeying with each socket. If the light goes out, that's where your short was.
However, if you left any bulbs in that circuit and you find the short, the indicator bulb will now dim rather than go out.

#21 1 year ago

Thanks to all of you; I've got a house full of company today, so it'll be a day or so until I get back to this. I'll let you know how it goes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you folks sharing your expertise.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

If you took all of the bulbs out of the circuit, take one of your blown fuses and solder a bulb onto that fuse.

If you could post a picture of the globe with a fuse
Soldered on that would be good .
Raff

#23 1 year ago

Heat shrink over blown fuse to keep ends from separating from glass, you could use a socket for the globe but did I have any? Noooooooo

Current limiter 6 v (resized).JPGCurrent limiter 6 v (resized).JPG
#24 1 year ago

Any chance of showing the fuse without the heat shrink I know it's asking a bit too much .Just want to see how it's soldered on.
Raff

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Raff:

Any chance of showing the fuse without the heat shrink I know it's asking a bit too much .Just want to see how it's soldered on.
Raff

A lead to each end, no short across the fuse.

#26 1 year ago

Thanks man
Raff

#27 1 year ago

Thank you for the picture and thanks for suggesting it Raff; it was very helpful when I made this little device. I definitely have a short and I'm focused on trying to find a socket with the problem. No luck yet, but I'll keep monkeying around as suggested by Seamlesswall. I'll let you know if I ever find it!

#28 1 year ago

One way to help isolate where the short might be would be to block switches that drive groups of bulbs in the back box.
Pioneer backbox short switches (resized).jpgPioneer backbox short switches (resized).jpg
For example blocking the BX switch above would remove all of the Match lights and AS relay wiper disc from the GI circuit. Blocking the AX switch to the left of it blocks even more lights. Blocking both sides of the P2C make/break switch would remove the player up lights. You'll find more on the schematic.

If you block a switch and suddenly the fuse doesn't blow, or the bulb replacement fuse doesn't glow, you know that the short is in the circuit cut off by the blocked switch.

#29 1 year ago

Hi MarkG. Thanks. I have the schematic so I'll look at it and figure it out, but, I'm pretty feeble with these things. That said, I've fixed everything on my own for the last 4 years, at least to this point (thanks to Pinside folks; this really is an amazing community). I'll give this a try, as I've been trying hard to find something that looks wrong with one of sockets but to no avail. I'll keep chipping away. Thanks again to all who are lending a hand.

3 months later
#30 1 year ago

Okay folks, I know I started this months ago, but I finally got it completely worked out. I appreciate your input. I learned a lot and everything is playing just great now!

I can't thank you enough,

#31 1 year ago

And... inquiring minds wanna know what the issue was?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pioneer-backbox-lights-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.