20220321_152453 (resized).jpg
20220321_152412 (resized).jpg
20220321_152334 (resized).jpg
INSTALL3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220316-214604_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Hobbit Hole at the Shire (resized).JPG
Hobbit Hole for LOTR docs_Page1 (resized).jpg
installed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jarbyjibbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Interested in obtaining one!

What is the Bag End model in the background? Where can I check that out?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I'll put you on the list. You are free to back out after seeing the final model and no payment until it ships.
Those are Pictures from The Big Chair... er, I mean my painting table. Bag End is for The Hobbit pinball but my next project will likely be adapting this to the Shire shot on LOTR. It will be hard to avoid obstructing the view and also I have to work out getting power to that area.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/02856-mod-for-bag-end-the-hobbit-pinball-machine-all-versions

Very cool! I'd definitely look forward to seeing that in the shire area for LOTR if it's possible.

#77 4 years ago

I am going to default to blue based on my research and testing. But, I will likely offer an option where you can get red or white (natural white) for a $10 upcharge since I'll have to build those harnesses on demand.
But wait - remember the big battle at Orthanc during the mode Gandalf vs. Saruman - that whole scene in the movie was lit with blue lighting...[quoted image]

Maybe you should offer a no light option for a discount... might save you some time and expense for those who dont want a light.

1 year later
#149 2 years ago

Hmmm, I'm torn. While I agree the smaller fits a little better, I think the larger might do a better job of trying capture that it's bag end vs just a square hut with a circular door. I'm standing at my pin as I type and based on my height, I don't think the larger would block anything that I need to see. All that being said, I'd probably prefer the larger version.

#152 2 years ago

If there was a way, a subtle flicker candle led might look pretty sweet coming from the inside.

#154 2 years ago

That would be crazy awesome. The trouble with fire effect is it usually required a controller and several LEDs to emulate - that is just not available in a two - three LED strip array that I know of. BUT - I just saw Comet makes a "fire effect: LED in a #44 and wedge. I would love to adapt that.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/fire-bulbs
Looking more at how the hell to feed a wire to the mod - I think it wouldn't be too difficult for the end user to remove the VUK in the shire (two or three screws?), slip the wire up through the corner and up to the mod and re-mount the VUK. I could design the mod to internally accommodate a wedge or 44 socket and put that flame led on the 12v coin door rail so it is always on. Also - keep the GI spotlight (like I have now) connected via matrix connector to the slings to it turns on and off with the GI solenoid.
Hmmm - I like where this is going.

Great stuff. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes!

#157 2 years ago

I am making some progress on this mod!
1 - Since it is so close to the player, it will be made of resin - no 3D print lines on this one!
2 - It will use the Comet "Fire" LED to simulate a candlelight inside Bag End. There is an internal wedge socket located behind a hinge mounted access door in the final version, so any 6.5v lamp will work.
3 - Mod will include an incandescent GI lamp to light up the mod. Since it is incandescent it could also be tied into feature lamps..
I am experimenting with attaching the GI lamp to the "MYSTERY" light so the mod will illuminate only when MYSTERY is lit, but the internal candlelight will remain on as long as the GI circuit is on. Unfortunately, I don't have a Matrix 555 connector to test yet.
Not sure yet how I feel about the Comet "Fire" LED. I was hoping it would look a little more random and orange. I might be able to change the color a bit by changing the internal paint color of the mod.
I still have detail and technical work to do on the mod but what you see is pretty close to the final design!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Agreed, looks a little more like a discoteca then a fire/candle. Have you thought about buying a big pack of led candle flicker tea lights from Amazon and breaking them open for the led and circuitry inside? I've done that before for candle lights for the MM castle windows and they worked great. They are low voltage as they run off of button batteries. They are also very cheap. You can usually get them for a buck or two per light.

#161 2 years ago

I think I may have "tamed the flame" so to speak by adding a tinted yellow window. That changes the color tone and gives the outgoing light something to refract into. Looks fantastic so far. I would much rather go this route than experiment with other electronic solutions since having an accessible 555 socket to put any light you want into is such a huge plus.
The interior colors play a big roll in the lighting effect, too, so I'm still doing some experimentation.
I'll make an initial batch of five of these (one for me) at around $150 each so I can see whether or not this is a sustainable product. If you are interested, let me know and I can put you on a list. There is still a bit of R&D to go, but it should be ready by early March.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

List me bruther...

The tamed brightness really helped. To me the last thing to make the lighting perfect is a slower flicker. Are there any other flame type bulbs that are slower to transition colors? At that speed it's still somewhat strobe like, at least that's the way it looks in the video.

#164 2 years ago

Thanks Jarby - got you listed!
I've been doing quite a bit of searching and there is no real good answer to an alternative flicker; this one looks good with the window installed, much better than the video suggests. Having an available wedge socket and lots of room to work within the mod for users to experiment I think is the best option.

You're right - I am so concerned with the micro aspects I haven't given a good show of the macro I'll get something up.
Working with resin is a nasty bit. It looks phenomenal and post processing is awesome, but the toxic fumes and skin irritants are just awful. Not sure I will continue to used resin after this trial run.
I've been experimenting with clearcoat types. A good matte finish really makes the colors pop without adding too much gloss. I do love how detailed of a model I can make with resin - it's probably worth an early death for me in the end [quoted image]

Well my hats are off to you artistically, I wouldn't even know where to begin with this. To say that it would look like a kindergartner did it would probably be an over estimation of my skills...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jarbyjibbo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinworlds-wizards-tower-for-orthanc-mod-lotr?tu=jarbyjibbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.