20220321_152453 (resized).jpg
20220321_152412 (resized).jpg
20220321_152334 (resized).jpg
INSTALL3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220316-214604_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Hobbit Hole at the Shire (resized).JPG
Hobbit Hole for LOTR docs_Page1 (resized).jpg
installed (resized).jpg

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago

I got out my photography equipment and did some shooting yesterday to prepare for my store listing.

The $50 raw unlit version looks pretty damned good installed as-is, at least better than the stock frankentower.

RAW1 (resized).JPGRAW1 (resized).JPGraw2 (resized).jpgraw2 (resized).jpg
#102 4 years ago

Received mine today and just installed it. Amazing work, absolutely loving it! Thanks Chuck for your great work!
Blue LEDs look great even with all incandescent.
Only improvement, make the power cable a little bit longer. Its quite tight.

Thanks again!
IMG_20200305_213726 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213726 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213736 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213736 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213708 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213708 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213819 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213819 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200305_213732 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200305_213732 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200305_213739 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20200305_213739 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213743 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213743 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213751 (resized).jpgIMG_20200305_213751 (resized).jpg

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

Received mine today and just installed it. Amazing work, absolutely loving it! Thanks Chuck for your great work!
Blue LEDs look great even with all incandescent.
Only improvement, make the power cable a little bit longer. Its quite tight.
Thanks again!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that got to Germany fast!! Thanks so much!

It looks really good in there - you're good with a camera

Glad you posted about the cable length. I have mine hooked up to a y-splitter that adds another 25cm or so which was plenty. I've made all the harnesses for the upcoming run already, so I'll have to wait for the next run to increase cable length.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Wow, that got to Germany fast!!

No kidding....mine still didn't cross the border and I'm a 5hr. drive to Grand Rapids

How long does it take to drive to Germany? - lol

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

No kidding....mine still didn't cross the border and I'm a 5hr. drive to Grand Rapids
How long does it take to drive to Germany? - lol

I should have just drove the damn thing over, I love Toronto!

#106 4 years ago

I should have just drove the damn thing over, I love Toronto!

Oh, I'm sure you'll come up with another mod I'll have to buy, lol. You'll have more opportunities.

#107 4 years ago

Yeah shipping was crazy fast.
Shipped 29th, Chicago march 1st, Detroit 2nd, arrived in Frankfurt on 3/3 and delivered today.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

Shipped 29th, Chicago march 1st, Detroit 2nd, arrived in Frankfurt on 3/3 and delivered today.

Ha, I think mine was touring the new JJP factory in Chicago for the past week.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

That's nuts! I'm pretty sure there are some folks here in the USA (west coast) that haven't got them yet :O

#110 4 years ago

Also noticed the number inside the tower, mine ist 5/10. Feels like having a limited edition

#111 4 years ago

Damn. I should have put that number on a wooden apron right in front of the mod and signed my name in green

#112 4 years ago

I would be in for a painted one and the volcano mod. Please add me to the list. Thx.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I would be in for a painted one and the volcano mod. Please add me to the list. Thx.

These will be available to buy here on Pinside tomorrow at 12PM EST

I believe I made enough for everyone that was interested on this thread. Here is the EMPTY (for now) store. At least you can see the pricing structure.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/03455-wizard-s-tower-orthanc-mod-for-lord-of-the-rings

I will populate with my available quantities tomorrow - I'll post again here when they go live.

Then I will finally sleep

#114 4 years ago

These are in stock and ready for shipping!

I made enough that everyone on this thread who expressed interest can get what they asked for.

If you can't get the configuration you want or have questions, just PM me.

Thank you for all the interest! Can't wait to see these on some pins with different lighting

LINK TO PINSIDE SHOP:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/03455-wizard-s-tower-orthanc-mod-for-lord-of-the-rings
STOCKED (resized).jpgSTOCKED (resized).jpg

#115 4 years ago

on order its been 16 minutes and I don't have a tracking number yet... this appears to be a scam... Thanks for the good work can't wait to get it installed.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

on order its been 16 minutes and I don't have a tracking number yet... this appears to be a scam... Thanks for the good work can't wait to get it installed.

LOL - we shoot for 23 minutes and our delivery drones only have a 100 mile radius Thanks coz!

#117 4 years ago

got mine very quickly , looks really nice , installation tonight!

#118 4 years ago

ordered....the wait begins....

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

ordered....the wait begins....

ooooh, about that wait....

NOPOST (resized).jpgNOPOST (resized).jpg
#120 4 years ago

Those of you connecting your new Towers directly to the auxiliary connector - I noticed at a friend's house over the weekend that the aux cable/connector on his LOTR was tucked neatly into the cable clip (see pic). I measured the wire assuming the aux connector was NOT housed in the clip.

If you aren't using a y-splitter and need more slack, remove the connector and associated wire out of the clip as shown. Hope this helps!

-C

CABINET_CONNECTOR (resized).jpgCABINET_CONNECTOR (resized).jpg
#123 4 years ago

I still have about five Towers left and I *think* I PM'd everyone that expressed interest.

If you didn't receive a PM from me and would like a Tower mod, PM me and I can send you a PayPal invoice or you can still buy them here on Pinside.

Thanks all!

-C

#124 4 years ago

installed mine, nicely detailed and a simple install, the warm white looks good to me, had a color changing led on the old tower so could not resist swapping it on the new tower, as always hard to catch the led colors with the cell phone

015 (resized).jpg015 (resized).jpg

021 (resized).jpg021 (resized).jpg

#125 4 years ago

Looks great in there! I am really curious how some RGB or ARGBs would look in that tower.

I was originally planning to light the tower from the bottom and shine up, but there was no way I could get that to work. In the end, though, I prefer shining down onto the model so as to provide some subtle lighting on the playfield and on Saruman.

#126 4 years ago

Installed mine last night and absolutely love it! Such an easy install too. Thank you Chuck for designing it so that you don't have to remove the base of the original tower. If I had to remove the screw on the bottom left side I probably would have lit the whole game on fire, lol. It would have been an especially huge PITA because I have the POTD mod on my game.

Although it's not really a big deal but you can feed the new tower wiring through the back board by just easily popping out the top right bulb housing from the plastic without having to unscrew the entire thing. Again, removing that plastic is so easy that it's not a huge deal but may be slightly difficult to grab the bottom screw if you have a POTD mod installed.

Pictures do not do it justice - Great mod! The lighting effect is just perfect too and blends nicely with everything else going on around it. Well done!

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

If I had to remove the screw on the bottom left side I probably would have lit the whole game on fire, lol. It would have been an especially huge PITA because I have the POTD mod on my game.

Man, thanks a lot pipes! Love to hear comments on lighting and installations! Photographing that thing is tough, seeing it in person makes a difference for sure. I didn't think about the PotD mods - probably really crowds that area up.

LOL - the first decision I made was to not remove the lower left screw or the existing tower I designed the new tower to fit super snug in place so only one screw would be required to hold it in place but also not to put stress on the single screw.

I reinstalled mine to test removing one of the PotD light assemblies rather than the whole panel - yeah, that's way better. I've rewritten the instructions to include both options.

#128 4 years ago

swapped in an addressable led controlled by the pinduino board,little by little making programming changes

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

swapped in an addressable led controlled by the pinduino board,little by little making programming changes

Wow - there is some real potential in this. I would ultimately love to get some aRGB strips into the Volcano mod with some subtle pulsing light to simulate lava. I really should get one of those Pinduinos to fool around with.

Thanks for experimenting with this!!

#130 4 years ago

by all means get one! eric ( prof pinball) has a pretty nice library of lighting effects available as open code for use and modification. . the flickering effect in the beginning of the video is a standard one called " fire" which would be perfect for the volcano .

I might have to try putting a strip in the volcano!

#131 4 years ago

due to social isolation had time to put a strip in the volcano mod , will tweak the programming

every one stay healthy!!

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

due to social isolation had time to put a strip in the volcano mod , will tweak the programming

every one stay healthy!!

Looks great - LOVE the effect! Was it tough getting the original LED strip out of that channel and how much work was it to retrofit the new LEDs? The wiring channel I designed is really narrow and only made a for two wires.

Is that white lighting or red lighting or both (maybe even some blue I saw)? The design of the original lighting is to have the LEDs face towards the back board so the red translucent plastic distributes the light evenly, are your LEDs facing towards the player or backboard?

#133 4 years ago

Looks great - LOVE the effect! Was it tough getting the original LED strip out of that channel and how much work was it to retrofit the new LEDs? The wiring channel I designed is really narrow and only made a for two wires.
Is that white lighting or red lighting or both (maybe even some blue I saw)? The design of the original lighting is to have the LEDs face towards the back board so the red translucent plastic distributes the light evenly, are your LEDs facing towards the player or backboard?

With a small amount of filing the strip and wiring fit fine, it is being powered off the same program for the strips on the backboard and trough so it has a bunch of different colors depending on which flasher is activated but mostly warm white,red and the "fire " effect,some of the other effects you do not see on it as it is only 3 leds, strip faces forward

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

and the "fire " effect,some of the other effects you do not see on it as it is only 3 leds, strip faces forward

That is good to know that it's possible to get a fire effect. When I was first developing the Volcano mod (around two years ago now :O) there were several people that wanted to get that fire or lava flow effect, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with strip lighting at the time.

As far as I know, you are probably the only person that has that fire effect on the Volcano!!

#135 4 years ago

That is good to know that it's possible to get a fire effect. When I was first developing the Volcano mod (around two years ago now :O) there were several people that wanted to get that fire or lava flow effect, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with strip lighting at the time.
As far as I know, you are probably the only person that has that fire effect on the Volcano!!

I have already marked the back of mine " 1/1 " get a pinduino and yours can be "1/2"

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I have already marked the back of mine " 1/1 " get a pinduino and yours can be "1/2"

LOL - you'll have to change yours to 2/2 - hope you wrote in dry erase marker

#137 4 years ago

LOL - you'll have to change yours to 2/2 - hope you wrote in dry erase marker

So let me be the Guy who complains about the MOD, I went to install and the instructions make it look so easy took like 30 hours to install I kid you not... 30 freaking hours... Once I removed the tower I noticed some dirt, once I noticed some dirt we got a stay at home order, one I got a stay at home order I said I wonder when the last time I replaced my coil sleeves, once I started on the Pops I noticed the rails needed to be buffed, you get the drift.... after 30 hours looks great but really mad at the MOD and its fake instructions....

#138 4 years ago

I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me about eight years ago only it was worse. I installed a mod on a Black Rose in the same upper left corner. It was filthy, so I kept digging deeper, breaking it down more, scrubbing, removing shit. In the end, I put it all back together - probably 30 hours.

The worst part - it was STILL a Black Rose.

At least yours is an LotR

1 week later
#139 3 years ago

Got my tower and volcano installed. Incredible work as always and very simple installs!!

#140 3 years ago

Thanks a LOT paynemic! I've actually been playing my lotr more. I think those two mods really give it a more polished feel. I plan on getting the Fire Ring mod, too.

Like a lot of us with 3D printers, we've been shifting our production to get COVID-19 face shields out to health care workers who really need them. Michigan REALLY needs to get these out to those in need.

PST1 (resized).jpgPST1 (resized).jpgPST2 (resized).jpgPST2 (resized).jpg
#141 3 years ago

Bless you for your covid efforts!!stay healthy

#142 3 years ago

That’s awesome! Where to they get the clear plastic shield part?

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That’s awesome! Where to they get the clear plastic shield part?

There is another company donating the clear plastic PETG sheilds, but I'm not sure who they are. They were expecting a shortage of the shields this weekend but I think perhaps they resolved it with donations.

https://3dc19.com/

1 week later
#144 3 years ago

I just got around to installing mine (blue light). It is very nice. I ordered it with the Volcano mod and wow - that is amazing. Great mods! Highly recommended. Thank you.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

I just got around to installing mine (blue light). It is very nice. I ordered it with the Volcano mod and wow - that is amazing. Great mods! Highly recommended. Thank you.

Thanks PBF!!

I know there are a LOT of really good mods for LotR - thanks for giving mine a go!!

1 week later
#146 3 years ago

Heads up - I discontinued the RAW version of the Wizards Tower and replaced it with a PAINTED version. The raw tower just didn't have anyone interested in it.

The new PAINTED version is painted and weathered using my normal process, but it is not lighted or clearcoated. This will only cost $60 - considerably cheaper than the complete lighted version.

Cheers!

Chuck

Painted Tower PS1 (resized).jpgPainted Tower PS1 (resized).jpgPainted Tower PS2 (resized).jpgPainted Tower PS2 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#147 2 years ago

I finally, finally will be (and have) getting some new pins into the collection to add to my product line but I would be remiss not to come through on my promise to adapt my Hobbit Bag End mod to likely my final LOTR mod.

Which version do you think looks best - the smaller or the larger?

These are both very rough test models just to get an idea of what needs to change and to make sure I am not blocking any important views.

Lighting this mod is going to be a challenge to say the least.

Version1-ELEVATION (resized).jpgVersion1-ELEVATION (resized).jpgVersion1-PLANVIEW (resized).jpgVersion1-PLANVIEW (resized).jpgVersion2-ELEVATION (resized).jpgVersion2-ELEVATION (resized).jpgVersion2-PLANVIEW (resized).jpgVersion2-PLANVIEW (resized).jpg
#148 2 years ago

Awesome work.
My opinion is that I think smaller version looks much more seamless with the playfield from a size/ perspective/overall composition standpoint.

#149 2 years ago

Hmmm, I'm torn. While I agree the smaller fits a little better, I think the larger might do a better job of trying capture that it's bag end vs just a square hut with a circular door. I'm standing at my pin as I type and based on my height, I don't think the larger would block anything that I need to see. All that being said, I'd probably prefer the larger version.

#150 2 years ago

Hello,

I finally, finally will be (and have) getting some new pins into the collection to add to my product line but I would be remiss not to come through on my promise to adapt my Hobbit Bag End mod to likely my final LOTR mod.
Which version do you think looks best - the smaller or the larger?
These are both very rough test models just to get an idea of what needs to change and to make sure I am not blocking any important views.
Lighting this mod is going to be a challenge to say the least.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks promissing; I thought of doing something similar with the ball going through the hobbit door tough, and a structure like the white council of rivendell on top of the gift from the elves ( ball through the waterfall )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinworlds-wizards-tower-for-orthanc-mod-lotr/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.