20220321_152453 (resized).jpg
20220321_152412 (resized).jpg
20220321_152334 (resized).jpg
INSTALL3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220316-214604_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Hobbit Hole at the Shire (resized).JPG
Hobbit Hole for LOTR docs_Page1 (resized).jpg
installed (resized).jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

It's not real obvious, but the factory Barad-dur already has the Eye of Sauron built into the flasher behind the tower. I kind of put that into the category of "good enough" - no mod needed. I mean, yes, you have to be exactly 5'-6-3/4" and standing at a 13 degree angle to see it and only at certain times.[quoted image]

lol -- I'm 5'-6-3/4" and stand at a 13 degree angle. I still can't see it.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

lol -- I'm 5'-6-3/4" and stand at a 13 degree angle. I still can't see it.

Damn! Your science is too tight!

#53 4 years ago

My 3 cents always wanted the eye on the tower as well tied in with said flasher.

#54 4 years ago

Yes I will for sure offer package deals - but Bag End for LOTR hasn't been developed yet. Ultimately, I plan on having Bag End, Mt. Doom and Orthanc mods as a package - but I don't currently have a timeline on when (or really if) I will get Bag End done.
Also, and this is far off, I'd like to produce a Weathertop behind the Ring Wraith and get rid of that last piece of 2D plastic art.
You can't tell I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, can you?

I'd like one! I'm a Tolkien nerd myself. The pic should tell you just how big the sickness is....

20180720_165623 (resized).jpg20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
#55 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

I'd like one! I'm a Tolkien nerd myself. The pic should tell you just how big the sickness is....[quoted image]

WHoOOOA! You know, I have seen this in another thread and it is absolutely AMAZING!

#56 4 years ago

Well, there is a crap ton of stuff in these pics to digest/discuss, but I have to go to bed and will do it tomorrow. The big fat surprise on my end was I accidentally made a blue LED harness and figured what the hell, let's give it a try. I love it. It makes Orthanc stand out on it's own, separate from the hellish reds of Mordor.

Also - there are two conditions to photograph; most of the time all the lights are on - but when you start a mode or at the beginning of Fellowship MB, etc. the machine goes dark - this is when the mods on the 12v rail stand out. The photos are named to give you a better idea of the machine condition.

One more variable I am pondering - of you notice pics with the red LED, sometimes the top of the entire platform glows - an unplanned effect from using white plastic as as base instead of grey or black. I think I like it - otherwise Orthanc doesn't stand out as much. Anyhow, looking for some opinions for sure! Maybe I'll start a poll on preferred lighting color.

Also - the blue LEDs do not look anywhere near as intense in the dark condition as they appears in these photos - JEESE! It looks like I could join the rainbow puke club thread

Oh, as an aside, these pics show the final model or at least very close.

WT UNLIT (resized).jpgWT UNLIT (resized).jpgWT White LIT (resized).jpgWT White LIT (resized).jpgWT White DARK (resized).jpgWT White DARK (resized).jpgWT BLUE LIT (resized).jpgWT BLUE LIT (resized).jpgWT Blue DARK (resized).jpgWT Blue DARK (resized).jpgWT BLUE LIT2 (resized).jpgWT BLUE LIT2 (resized).jpgWT LIT PLATFORM (resized).jpgWT LIT PLATFORM (resized).jpgWT RED DARK (resized).jpgWT RED DARK (resized).jpgWT RED LIT (resized).jpgWT RED LIT (resized).jpg
#57 4 years ago

Well, there is a crap ton of stuff in these pics to digest/discuss, but I have to go to bed and will do it tomorrow. The big fat surprise on my end was I accidentally made a blue LED harness and figured what the hell, let's give it a try. I love it. It makes Orthanc stand out on it's own, separate from the hellish reds of Mordor.
Also - there are two conditions to photograph; most of the time all the lights are on - but when you start a mode or at the beginning of Fellowship MB, etc. the machine goes dark - this is when the mods on the 12v rail stand out. The photos are named to give you a better idea of the machine condition.
One more variable I am pondering - of you notice pics with the red LED, sometimes the top of the entire platform glows - an unplanned effect from using white plastic as as base instead of grey or black. I think I like it - otherwise Orthanc doesn't stand out as much. Anyhow, looking for some opinions for sure! Maybe I'll start a poll on preferred lighting color.
Also - the blue LEDs do not look anywhere near as intense in the dark condition as they appears in these photos - JEESE! It looks like I could join the rainbow puke club thread
Oh, as an aside, these pics show the final model or at least very close.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Tower looks amazing!
What I am asking myself right now will the LED lighting still fit with an all incandescent bulbs LoTR?
I still have mine with incandescents except the ring and balrog flashers since i prefer the look with the artwork.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

Tower looks amazing!
What I am asking myself right now will the LED lighting still fit with an all incandescent bulbs LoTR?
I still have mine with incandescents except the ring and balrog flashers since i prefer the look with the artwork.

Me too, incandescents all the way on this game... be nice to have something which blended in with the warm colours. I can't see a blue/purple doing that but would be happy to be proven wrong.

To clarify my order - please put be down for a "JJP Hobbit" Bag End + an Orthanc

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

Tower looks amazing!

Thank you, Smiley!

Yes - LOTR is my only pin still incandescent. About eight years ago, I went through the time and expense of completely LEDing it out. I absolutely hated it and changed it back the very same day I have two LEDs left - upper left GI above path of the dead.

I agree that LEDs thematically and aesthetically don't work in LOTR , but these work since they are in an always on state and subtle. Don't let those photos fool you; light doesn't photograph well, especially blue light.

#60 4 years ago

Why not try green there to give it a gloomy look?

#61 4 years ago

Oh, as an aside, these pics show the final model or at least very close.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Please put me down for a Blue LED Tower! Thanks

Also, Can you tell me where you got the Mt Doom mod in your pics?

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

The only reason I would vote no to green is that the path of the dead, and most mods for it, are also green. The blue really helps set it apart IMO.

#63 4 years ago

I really like the white! When I think Barad-dur I associate red. When I think Orthanc, I think white wizard. It also makes Orthanc its own thing.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Please put me down for a Blue LED Tower! Thanks
Also, Can you tell me where you got the Mt Doom mod in your pics?

Volcano mod can be purchased right here on Pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/01650-lighted-backpanel-volcano-mod-for-mtdoom-lord-of-the-rings

You might want to wait if you plan on getting both mods. I will set up a package deal that will save you ~$20 (plus pay for shipping only once). Probably a month away before I am able to do so, tho.

Also - to be clear, I am starting out making just 10 of these Orthancs initially using materials I already have in stock. Once I make these, I'll know what kind of time and materials I need to order for a large run. I would guess there will be at least a couple weeks between getting these 10 shipped units out and having stock available to purchase on Pinside. But, please, those who are interested continue to let me know so I can get an idea of how many I should make!

Here is the list of 10 - if you are on this list but want off, please let me know. I'll PM you all next week with final details:

RStone
PinballJJ
JarryJibbo
TktLawyer
Rezzinate
Stuckey
Mr.Smiley
Pipes
Leaffan
Kkuopp_Maki

Quoted from Vyzer2:

Quoted from MrBubbles:

The only reason I would vote no to green is that the path of the dead, and most mods for it, are also green. The blue really helps set it apart IMO.

This. Also, I don't have any green LEDs

Quoted from thewool:

To clarify my order - please put be down for a "JJP Hobbit" Bag End + an Orthanc

Bag End for THE HOBBIT pinball can be had here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/02856-mod-for-bag-end-the-hobbit-pinball-machine-all-versions

BUT - if you plan on getting more than one mod, might want to wait to they are all available at the same time. International shipping alone is $22.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I really like the white! When I think Barad-dur I associate red. When I think Orthanc, I think white wizard. It also makes Orthanc its own thing.

You know, that is a good point. The White Wizard is cunning.

What I noticed on the white lighting is there is already a lot of white GI in that back area and the tower blended in more than I liked. The blue gave it the most separation.

#66 4 years ago

I added a lighting poll that would be interesting to see the results of - I know it's tough choosing just based on these photos, but the data will help.

My current favorite is blue for sure based on a mostly incandescent-based machine.

#67 4 years ago

Defintely blue!

#68 4 years ago

You know, that is a good point. The White Wizard is cunning.

What I noticed on the white lighting is there is already a lot of white GI in that back area and the tower blended in more than I liked. The blue gave it the most separation.

Makes sense. I have a Path of the Dead mod I wired up myself and uses 3 green incandescent 555 bulbs behind the dead figures, so that area has a green tint to it.

#69 4 years ago

Volcano mod can be purchased right here on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/01650-lighted-backpanel-volcano-mod-for-mtdoom-lord-of-the-rings
You might want to wait if you plan on getting both mods. I will set up a package deal that will save you ~$20 (plus pay for shipping only once). Probably a month away before I am able to do so, tho.
Also - to be clear, I am starting out making just 10 of these Orthancs initially using materials I already have in stock. Once I make these, I'll know what kind of time and materials I need to order for a large run. I would guess there will be at least a couple weeks between getting these 10 shipped units out and having stock available to purchase on Pinside. But, please, those who are interested continue to let me know so I can get an idea of how many I should make!
Here is the list of 10 - if you are on this list but want off, please let me know. I'll PM you all next week with final details:
RStone
PinballJJ
JarryJibbo
TktLawyer
Rezzinate
Stuckey
Mr.Smiley
Pipes
Leaffan
Kkuopp_Maki

This. Also, I don't have any green LEDs

Bag End for THE HOBBIT pinball can be had here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/02856-mod-for-bag-end-the-hobbit-pinball-machine-all-versions
BUT - if you plan on getting more than one mod, might want to wait to they are all available at the same time. International shipping alone is $22.

Sounds good to me. I have plenty of patience. You can't be in the life-size collectible world OR the pinball world without it. Almost everything you want to buy is a year wait it seems.

#70 4 years ago

I added a lighting poll that would be interesting to see the results of - I know it's tough choosing just based on these photos, but the data will help.
My current favorite is blue for sure based on a mostly incandescent-based machine.

to my eye the blue would look better if you take out the blue bulbs you have in that corner of the backbox . I still vote color changing! or warm white

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

to my eye the blue would look better if you take out the blue bulbs you have in that corner of the backbox . I still vote color changing! or warm white

Color changing would be cool, I think. I have been unable to find partitionable RGB LED strip lights that include a local logic controller (like I have seen on wedge and #44 LEDs). The good news is the strip light will be secured with two small spots of hot glue and is designed to be easily replaceable for someone who dabbles in lighting.

I haven't experimented with one of these yet, but it might be possible to add an RGB LED strip and add logic with a GameOn system Rock914 ?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1015-rock-custom-pinball/02222-game-on-interactive-power-supply-with-backpanel-illumination

What I don't want to do is build three different color harnesses for each Orthanc. That will really slow things down and add substantial cost.

#72 4 years ago

Color changing would be cool, I think. I have been unable to find partitionable RGB LED strip lights that include a local logic controller (like I have seen on wedge and #44 LEDs). The good news is the strip light will be secured with two small spots of hot glue and is designed to be easily replaceable for someone who dabbles in lighting.
I haven't experimented with one of these yet, but it might be possible to add an RGB LED strip and add logic with a GameOn system rock914 ?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1015-rock-custom-pinball/02222-game-on-interactive-power-supply-with-backpanel-illumination
What I don't want to do is build three different color harnesses for each Orthanc. That will really slow things down and add substantial cost.

No warm white do them in color. Just stick to red your in or out lol I’m sure people that wanna change the color led can figure it out

#73 4 years ago

Please add me to the list. All around

#74 4 years ago

I haven't experimented with one of these yet, but it might be possible to add an RGB LED strip and add logic with a GameOn system rock914 ?

I just installed a pinduino on my LOTR . if you like to tinker with lighting this is really good , if you get a few feet of addressable led strips and are handy at soldering the options are endless!! . I can see putting a strip with some programmed effects inside your new orthanc

#75 4 years ago

Wasn't sure if the white was cool or warm, so voted red

Will there an option to choose? If it were blue I'd probably be out, as that colour has nothing to do with Orthanc.

#76 4 years ago

I am going to default to blue based on my research and testing. But, I will likely offer an option where you can get red or white (natural white) for a $10 upcharge since I'll have to build those harnesses on demand.

But wait - remember the big battle at Orthanc during the mode Gandalf vs. Saruman - that whole scene in the movie was lit with blue lighting...

BLUORC (resized).jpgBLUORC (resized).jpg
#77 4 years ago

I am going to default to blue based on my research and testing. But, I will likely offer an option where you can get red or white (natural white) for a $10 upcharge since I'll have to build those harnesses on demand.
But wait - remember the big battle at Orthanc during the mode Gandalf vs. Saruman - that whole scene in the movie was lit with blue lighting...[quoted image]

Maybe you should offer a no light option for a discount... might save you some time and expense for those who dont want a light.

#78 4 years ago

I think I'm going to have to start selling pins so I can afford to buy mods...
Or get hypnotized to stay away from pinside

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Maybe you should offer a no light option for a discount... might save you some time and expense for those who dont want a light.

Definitely a possibility. I am going to get these ten built and get some feedback from the early buyers, then I'll start thinking about options. Different options will affect how I make these things in quantity.

#80 4 years ago

But wait - remember the big battle at Orthanc during the mode Gandalf vs. Saruman - that whole scene in the movie was lit with blue lighting...[quoted image]

Ah very true!!

#81 4 years ago

I’m in for a tower...

#82 4 years ago

If I am not too late, I am in. .....Put me on the list please.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

If I am not too late, I am in. .....Put me on the list please.

It's never too late!

I suspect I'll have a good stock of these towers starting in March and will also offer a package discount for those who want the Volcano mod, too - you'll be able to buy them right here on Pinside or my website. I don't have a list, but stay tuned to this thread and I'll post when they are available.

I've been working on these first mods all weekend and have an update - I fumbled this video together so you can get an idea of how the different color LEDs look in the game.

It shows blue, warm white and red. Note that blue doesn't actually look as strong as the video suggests.

#84 4 years ago

It's never too late!
I suspect I'll have a good stock of these towers starting in March and will also offer a package discount for those who want the Volcano mod, too - you'll be able to buy them right here on Pinside or my website. I don't have a list, but stay tuned to this thread and I'll post when they are available.
I've been working on these first mods all weekend and have an update - I fumbled this video together so you can get an idea of how the different color LEDs look in the game.
It shows blue, warm white and red. Note that blue doesn't actually look as strong as the video suggests.

Yep, seals the deal for me. Blue Orthanc and a volcano please.

#85 4 years ago

UPDATE - I am almost done with these first ten units and I learned quite a bit.

It takes a lot of time and effort to weather, paint and clearcoat these towers. When these are available later in March, the price will be slightly north of $100. As suggested here, I am thinking about offering a raw version for about $50, too. Wait a sec, this is starting to sound like Stern's "Pro/LE" pricing model, lol

The raw model still requires some effort on my behalf - but all the painting, lighting and clearcoating would be up to the buyer - or you could install it the way it is.

Would anyone reading this be interested in the raw model vs the finished model? Just curious.

Pics below show the nearly finished ten units, the wiring harness interface in the back, and the raw towers. Note - I designed the raw towers with a pedestal to make painting and clearcoating MUCH easier. Just snap off and discard when you are done post-processing.

PS1 (resized).jpgPS1 (resized).jpgPS2 (resized).jpgPS2 (resized).jpgraw towers (resized).jpgraw towers (resized).jpg
#86 4 years ago

I stay with the complete version in blue, plug and play.

#87 4 years ago

UPDATE - I am almost done with these first ten units and I learned quite a bit.
It takes a lot of time and effort to weather, paint and clearcoat these towers. When these are available later in March, the price will be slightly north of $100. As suggested here, I am thinking about offering a raw version for about $50, too. Wait a sec, this is starting to sound like Stern's "Pro/LE" pricing model, lol
The raw model still requires some effort on my behalf - but all the painting, lighting and clearcoating would be up to the buyer - or you could install it the way it is.
Would anyone reading this be interested in the raw model vs the finished model? Just curious.
Pics below show the nearly finished ten units, the wiring harness interface in the back, and the raw towers. Note - I designed the raw towers with a pedestal to make painting and clearcoating MUCH easier. Just snap off and discard when you are done post-processing.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

i will take 4 complete towers when you have a chance, please.

#88 4 years ago

Complete version in blue please

#89 4 years ago

completely complete

#90 4 years ago

Heads up on the first run of these - I have sent out invoices as these are ready to ship!

If you didn't receive an invoice, it may have gone to your junk folder (PayPal invoicing sometimes does this). PM me if you can't find it.

I'm tabulating all the interest here and working on the next batch - thanks for letting me know so I can guestimate the number I should make.

The Pinside shop price will be $108 with a $10 upcharge for LED colors that are not blue. I will also sell the raw version for $50 for you in the finish-it-yourselfer club

I am shooting for availability in early March.

wta2 (resized).jpgwta2 (resized).jpgwta3 (resized).jpgwta3 (resized).jpg
#91 4 years ago

Put me in for a Stock Lighting but painted.

#92 4 years ago

I'll take a complete one

#93 4 years ago

I will take a one complete

#94 4 years ago

I'm going to go against my better judgement (I do like the blue) and say I'll take a white LED version with Mount Doom combo.

#95 4 years ago

I've got a count of ~25 Towers - that will definitely keep me busy but definitely doable for early March. The first batch shipped today, so looking forward to some opinions on here soon!!

#96 4 years ago

Working my way through this next batch and will be working on wire harnesses and lighting in the next couple days.

I am hoping to get these on my Pinside store to be available this weekend, as well as a refresh of the dangerously low stock level of the volcano mod.

Normally, there will be an up-charge for red or white lighting, but if I make the models and harnesses alongside the blue, I can directly bill those if I know ahead of time to avoid the charge.

I think I only see one person here that wants warm white lighting - so these will all be made stock blue. If you do want warm white or red, let me know on the thread here before I make the harnesses if you wanna save $10.

Thanks!!

PIC: Mods in various states of completion

WT WIP (resized).jpgWT WIP (resized).jpg
#97 4 years ago

Received and installed!

Much nice than the Stern plastics.

Thanks, Chuck!

306A0DE9-0519-4E97-BDC8-A3AC78B0F104 (resized).jpeg306A0DE9-0519-4E97-BDC8-A3AC78B0F104 (resized).jpegE2A42040-8C5D-4947-AD58-5744CAE92165 (resized).jpegE2A42040-8C5D-4947-AD58-5744CAE92165 (resized).jpeg
#98 4 years ago

Just got mine and installed it, super well made and an amazing upgrade. I recommend fully

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Received and installed!
Much nice than the Stern plastics.
Thanks, Chuck![quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great. I have that same PoTD mod too. Looking forward to this mod and the volcano.

#100 4 years ago

Can't wait to get mine, cleared customs in Frankfurt yesterday and hopefully should arrive this week!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 7.50
$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinworlds-wizards-tower-for-orthanc-mod-lotr/page/2?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.