20220321_152453 (resized).jpg
20220321_152412 (resized).jpg
20220321_152334 (resized).jpg
INSTALL3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220316-214604_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Hobbit Hole at the Shire (resized).JPG
Hobbit Hole for LOTR docs_Page1 (resized).jpg
installed (resized).jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

I am getting close to completing the design for my Wizards Tower mod for LOTR pinball. Really, I can’t replace the sloppy factory Orthanc fast enough .

What I am still working through is lighting color, thermoplastic material to use, painting technique, wiring connectors and clearcoat type. In the end I will offer a single model – no confusing options.

I’ll do an initial run of 10 units so I can test manufacturability, time and costs. The price for this trial run will be somewhere around of $70 and will be a substantial discount from my store price after they go into production. If you live outside of the USA, then add an additional $20 to the TBD price. Be aware that the production model after the initial ten may slightly change based on feedback from you guys.

If you want to be part of the first ten units, post below on this thread and I will add you! Here is a list of possibly interested people from my original LOTR club thread – if you are on here, will have first rights of refusal for these ten units, so let me know if you want in.

Gogdog, MrSmiley, Nihonmasa, Reznnate, RStone0407(confirmed)

Wizards Tower will include:

Hand painted diorama finished in clearcoat (testing between high gloss or matte)

Three (3) 12v LEDs hidden withing the diorama – connects to 12v/5v plug at coin door (or elsewhere per user)

Clear lens on top of tower to evenly disperse lighting – still debating how effective this is.

Simple installation – remove three easily accessible hex head screws from the existing tower, remove the clear plastic spires, slip the new tower on, route the wire behind the path of the dead lighting assembly, replace only one of the screws, connect power at the coin door. It will take about five minutes and is completely and quickly reversible.

The plan is to do these ten units, gather some feedback, improve the manufacturing process (if necessary) and add them to my store as a new product.
I am guessing I’ll have these 10 units ready to ship by 02.28.20 – this thread will be a great spot to discuss final details, yo!

NOTE – these photos below represent older, outdated and unfinished models. I’ll updated this thread after the weekend with models that are much closer to the production piece.

Thanks a TON for all of the input so far!

-PC
wt2 (resized).jpgwt2 (resized).jpgwt4 (resized).jpgwt4 (resized).jpgwt3 (resized).jpgwt3 (resized).jpgWT flyer (resized).jpgWT flyer (resized).jpgWT RED VS WHITE (resized).jpgWT RED VS WHITE (resized).jpgwt Dark Vs Light (resized).jpgwt Dark Vs Light (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

in!

#3 4 years ago

Interested in obtaining one!

What is the Bag End model in the background? Where can I check that out?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Interested in obtaining one!
What is the Bag End model in the background? Where can I check that out?

I'll put you on the list. You are free to back out after seeing the final model and no payment until it ships.

Those are Pictures from The Big Chair... er, I mean my painting table. Bag End is for The Hobbit pinball but my next project will likely be adapting this to the Shire shot on LOTR. It will be hard to avoid obstructing the view and also I have to work out getting power to that area.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/02856-mod-for-bag-end-the-hobbit-pinball-machine-all-versions

#5 4 years ago

Please add me to the list.

#6 4 years ago

I'm in, please add me to your list. It looks awesome.

#7 4 years ago

Please add me to the list. Soon to be proud owner of LOTR after this weekend

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I'll put you on the list. You are free to back out after seeing the final model and no payment until it ships.
Those are Pictures from The Big Chair... er, I mean my painting table. Bag End is for The Hobbit pinball but my next project will likely be adapting this to the Shire shot on LOTR. It will be hard to avoid obstructing the view and also I have to work out getting power to that area.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/02856-mod-for-bag-end-the-hobbit-pinball-machine-all-versions

Very cool! I'd definitely look forward to seeing that in the shire area for LOTR if it's possible.

#9 4 years ago

Confirming my slot, curious to see the final version.
Mine would be international shipping to Germany If possible.

#10 4 years ago

Add me please. That looks amazing!

#11 4 years ago

the bag end adapted to shire area of LOTR would be cool! perhaps mounted to the Arwen area and the ball rolls through the round door to drop into the shire?

#12 4 years ago

Regarding the painting techniques ; what I'd recommand to get a nice job rather quickly:
Black primer
Dark grey wet brushing on the edges
Light grey dry brushing on edges
White subtle dry brushing on very end of edges

Very fast to do, will look nice.

For the tower I'll wait to see a close up of the final model but I will probably try it anyway

#13 4 years ago

please add me as well.
thx!

#14 4 years ago

Please add me to the list also, thank you!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

the bag end adapted to shire area of LOTR would be cool! perhaps mounted to the Arwen area and the ball rolls through the round door to drop into the shire?

I can't figure a good place to mount there unless I makes brackets for the wireform - but it will be too high then and look awkward.

Best place I can see it right on top of the clear plastic in from of the VUK arch. I think this will block the view of the left inlane/outlane though. I'll need to make some mockups for sure.

Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Regarding the painting techniques ; what I'd recommand to get a nice job rather quickly:
Black primer
Dark grey wet brushing on the edges
Light grey dry brushing on edges
White subtle dry brushing on very end of edges

This is almost precisely how I do it for a one color print - you must do some painting yourself

Quoted from MrSmiley:

Confirming my slot, curious to see the final version.
Mine would be international shipping to Germany If possible.

If you are willing to pay an additional $20, then YES! I'll ship to Germany, danke schön!

Quoted from stuckey_t:

Please add me to the list. Soon to be proud owner of LOTR after this weekend

NICE! LOTR has been in my collection, by far, longer than any other of the 25+ pins I have owned. It's EPIC.

#17 4 years ago

This is almost precisely how I do it for a one color print - you must do some painting yourself

I do
Some pinball examples here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nihonmasas-show-off#post-5363134

#18 4 years ago

Please add me - would you be able to do a deal on an Orthanc and a Bag End?

Cheers!

#19 4 years ago

Interested in your new design. Have the volcano and love it.

#20 4 years ago

I'd like to be on the list please. Looks like I'm already post the initial 10 though.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I'd like to be on the list please. Looks like I'm already post the initial 10 though.

Yes - I've got the initial ten, but I'll put you on standby. I should have these readily available a week or two after (assuming I can produce fast enough to meet demand).

#22 4 years ago

WOW! Yeah, you know what you are doing alright - you could teach me a LOT!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Please add me - would you be able to do a deal on an Orthanc and a Bag End?
Cheers!

Yes I will for sure offer package deals - but Bag End for LOTR hasn't been developed yet. Ultimately, I plan on having Bag End, Mt. Doom and Orthanc mods as a package - but I don't currently have a timeline on when (or really if) I will get Bag End done.

Also, and this is far off, I'd like to produce a Weathertop behind the Ring Wraith and get rid of that last piece of 2D plastic art.

You can't tell I'm a huge Tolkien nerd, can you?

#24 4 years ago

Please add me to your list as well.

#25 4 years ago

id be in, if not too late

#26 4 years ago

Also, and this is far off, I'd like to produce a Weathertop behind the Ring Wraith and get rid of that last piece of 2D plastic art.

You mean something to incorporate or hide that flasher a little better? That would be cool.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

You mean something to incorporate or hide that flasher a little better? That would be cool.

Yes. I hate that flasher just sticking out like it doesn't even care.

One issue I need to work through for that mod is that it will be designed around the incandescent flasher (LEDs will be shite in that spot). If that coil ever locks on during play, it will get hot enough to melt whatever mod I encase the flasher in. Suggestions for that potential problem would be welcome.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

id be in, if not too late

The list is complete - but favorite this thread as I will continue to post development and availability updates fo sho!

#29 4 years ago

Yes. I hate that flasher just sticking out like it doesn't even care.

I absolutely hate how that was designed. Work your magic Charlie!

#30 4 years ago

Looks great! I'll be getting one for sure.

#31 4 years ago

I'd take one, if possible

#32 4 years ago

A couple updates - I have experimented with various materials from white to black and shades in between. Darker materials prevent light leakage and are much better at controlling how I want the lighting to work. The top picture shows how I was expecting the top lens to disperse light. I am going to try to etch some symbology in that top lens.

Second picture shows how the mod is progressing and various base material colors and finishes.. White material shows better detail and weathering, but the one on the middle remains more true to Orthanc, which is a black tower. The one on the far left was printed in pure black and is not painted/finished at all. Also, I removed many of the fins on the spires and platforms as these were not consistent with Orthanc. The top platform has been raised, too.

The good news on the third picture is I think I will be able to adapt Bag End to LOTR. That location should be good and won't block any critical viewing areas - that will be my next future project

I just got my chosen material in last night, so I should have a really good update this weekend.

WT-ETCH (resized).jpgWT-ETCH (resized).jpgWT-3 (resized).jpgWT-3 (resized).jpgBE-1 (resized).jpgBE-1 (resized).jpg
#33 4 years ago

I'll definitely take one, looks amazing!

#34 4 years ago

I’d be in for both!

#35 4 years ago

I’d like to get on the list as well please!

#36 4 years ago

Sorry, can somebody explain the „Bag End“ to me. I know the movies, but I have no idea what that means.

#37 4 years ago

I thought your Bad End mod was available for The Hobbit? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else I saw....

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I thought your Bad End mod was available for The Hobbit? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else I saw....

You saw correctly. It’s basically the same as the one for The Hobbit. I have the Bag End mod in my Hobbit (great looking mod btw).

#39 4 years ago

Following for sure!

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Sorry, can somebody explain the „Bag End“ to me. I know the movies, but I have no idea what that means.

Bag end is the name of the home where Bilbo, and then frodo, live in the Shire.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Bag end is the name of the home where Bilbo, and then frodo, live in the Shire.

Yes! It is the ancestral home of the Baggins in the heart of Hobbiton - it spans over both book series and pinball machines. If you look on both machines, you will find several references to this same doorway that leads inside Bag End.

BAGEND (resized).jpgBAGEND (resized).jpg
#42 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Bag End indeed IS currently available for The Hobbit pinball machine. It can be purchased here on Pinside, pinworlds.com or mezelmods.com.

It is NOT available for Lord of the Rings pinball machine. I still need to adapt and develop the diorama for that specific space. I plan on doing that in a couple months after I get Orthanc developed and available.

#43 4 years ago

Yes! It is the ancestral home of the Baggins in the heart of Hobbiton - it spans over both book series and pinball machines. If you look on both machines, you will find several references to this same doorway that leads inside Bag End.[quoted image]

Also briefly the home of those goddamn sackville-baggins'

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Also briefly the home of those goddamn sackville-baggins'

Wretched scum. &^%&^ Sackville-Baggins's!

#45 4 years ago

Wow! I would like both as well! Looks killer!

#46 4 years ago

What is your thought about doing a Sauron's eye mod for the Barud Dur tower? I've seen an example on the main LOTR thread but having trouble finding the picture

Barud dur (resized).jpgBarud dur (resized).jpgBarud dur2 (resized).jpgBarud dur2 (resized).jpg
#47 4 years ago

Yes. I would definitely buy this and the volcano mod. Nice work. Sign me up.

#48 4 years ago

Here is the pic I was looking for. I know someone else had done one like this and it looks killer sweet but I don't think they are for sale anywhere.

barud dur3 (resized).jpgbarud dur3 (resized).jpg
#49 4 years ago
Quoted from stuckey_t:

What is your thought about doing a Sauron's eye mod for the Barud Dur tower? I've seen an example on the main LOTR thread but having trouble finding the picture[quoted image][quoted image]

It's not real obvious, but the factory Barad-dur already has the Eye of Sauron built into the flasher behind the tower. I kind of put that into the category of "good enough" - no mod needed. I mean, yes, you have to be exactly 5'-6-3/4" and standing at a 13 degree angle to see it and only at certain times.

eye of sauron (resized).jpgeye of sauron (resized).jpg
#50 4 years ago

A real kick ass eye on that tower would be much nicer! You are already making the machine about as good as can be possible in all those other spots! Why settle for good enough Just my two cents.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 39.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinworlds-wizards-tower-for-orthanc-mod-lotr/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.