You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PWAmpsF (resized).jpg
20230107_081325 (resized).jpg
IMG_1642 (resized).jpeg
2020-05-23 11.49.46 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinWoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

If I were to guess the Pinwoofer sub sounded better, but not by a ton. Hopefully the recording shows all the low mids that were previously nonexistent.

Greetings Shredso ! First, thank you for doing such a detailed and objective review - we really appreciate the attention to detail and the time required to this.

We listened carefully to the audio clips. In our opinion, you are spot-on with your "low mids" comment; the moment the PinWoofer track started it was immediately apparent to us what was in play. There is most definitely a signature in the 200-500Hz range from our kit. An external sub typically has it's power concentrated below 200Hz and a stock cabinet speaker is pretty weak below about 500Hz. The in-cabinet PinWoofer driver has a great response below 200Hz but a superior response in the 200-500Hz range which improves the blend in the low-mid / high bass band. This is where much of the track "presence" can be found.

One final comment and possibly the most important. The backbox amp and speakers are vital to balancing the system. With the exception of a few titles / trims, the vast majority of stock backboxes fall woefully short of the potential that the track offers. With improved backbox speakers and our amp, one can hear call-outs and effects with much greater clarity and well defined bracketing compared to the de-rated stock amp and paper cone speakers.

We offer a complete solution.

1 month later
#25 3 years ago

I can't tell you how much we appreciate your patience on the install time and with the instructions. Back in the day I would say "installs in about an hour" but I revised that to "one to two hours" because realistically, that's what it takes. However, once you see what's going on the second kit is much easier. A similar comparison might be installing a car stereo; that will take a couple of hours so I don't know that our install time is completely unreasonable but we are working hard to bring it down in a significant way.

Quality instructions are difficult to write and I've received many an email literally saying "great instructions, it was easy" etc., while other guys have constructive feedback which we take seriously and incorporate as much as is possible and relevant. Some feedback is in-between but in the end I am certain we have never left anyone behind since we track every kit outcome closely. We have some open cases for guys who don't respond / stop responding, and we stop hounding them after two emails and 60 days. I am always willing to help break you loose so I hope that making myself available to help out makes up for any troubles you might have.

Learning the subtle differences among the 125+ titles we support and the different trim packages, vault runs and speaker panels, other speaker kit wiring and not to mention documentation errors in the manufacturers manuals and specs has been a huge challenge. It is impossible for us to know all of these variants at time zero but over time, customer interaction and feedback have helped us to become what we are today and we are immensely appreciative of this. It really bothers me when a customer is "broken" or must deal with a specific variance and feed it back to us. The good news is that we have matured and there are far fewer surprises today compared to 6-12 months ago so the effort has been worth the outcome!

Thank you for your strong support!

2 years later
#33 1 year ago

Awesome guys - thanks for the accolades - have fun!!!

2 months later
#42 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Worth it to put in a BM66? I added a Lepai amp, kicker speakers in backbox (but put premium speakers back in because sound was not as good), and upgraded the sub also. I have the pinnovators adapter to run audio to the amp.
Did the same to GZ but kept the kickers in the backbox. A lot of money to spend, just want to make sure if it’s worth it since I upgraded already. Thanks for any help.

Greetings @ballykiss1978! Great chatting with you today, thanks for reaching out!

Below is the comparison we talked about.

A teardown of that amp is shown below. This unit is branded several different ways depending on the distributor. Single sided PCB, through hole components, some jumper wires. (This is not to say it's a bad option because it does meet needs, just some observations on its construction.)

Next, a few PinWoofer amps, undressed. Appearance won't always tell the story, but I think the difference in effort here is clear. We use the best materials possible; SMT, large decoupling caps, custom heat sink, extensive ground plane / polygons, thermal vias, and a high-end enclosure for our Plus Series Amps. We have invested heavily into our electronics and offer what we think is most well-designed pinball audio upgrade possible. If we have a design issue, we fix it. (For transparency, we did use a commercial amp years ago, but have since migrated to 100% in-house PCB design.)

OK, just a fun look inside. Have a great day, and thanks for your attention!

20230107_081325 (resized).jpg20230107_081325 (resized).jpgPWAmpsF (resized).jpgPWAmpsF (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,600 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinWoofer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwoofer-review?tu=PinWoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.