Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy (1) (resized).png
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
DSC00047 (resized).JPG
mematicMeme.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok - preparing to get myself torn to shreds, but here goes -
I think military/first responder discounts of ANY kind are bullshit. Now there are even special parking spots at stores. I remember house shopping and learning that military personnel/first responders/school teachers get discounts and special rates, still do, depending on the lenders.
You CHOSE to go into the military, or be a cop, or a schoolteacher, or a firefighter (unless you were drafted, and there hasn't been one in over 75 years). It wasn't ordained by God - it's a job. I'd venture that the vast majority of veterans never got near a battlefield. Is a janitor that scrubs toilets at a nursing home any less deserving?
There's a word for it - it's called discrimination, and it's illegal. I have no doubt that if someone were to challenge it in court they would win. Giving preferential treatment (or NOT) because of someone's skin color, age, sex, religion, or occupation is discriminatory. Period.
Adjusting flame suit....

Some of your points are valid indeed, but you are missing one small part. One more person joining the military voluntarily is one less chance that you (at the time) or your children get drafted. Being in the military is not glamorous or a nice payday for most people. There are certainly sacrifices that come with it for many, sometimes way more annoying than civilian jobs. You can't just 'leave' the military if you don't like your job or your boss, and there are many times you are not 'just doing a job' because being in the military is not just the job you do, but everything else that comes with being in the military. They have janitors in the military, but those janitors do more than clean bathrooms and then go home. That's before you even get into the 'you might get called to war'.

Do we need 'thanks yous' and discounts? No, we do not.....but those type of things (such as tax breaks on property taxes) are small incentives to encourage people to continue to serve. Do I wish there was less need for military? Yep. However, having served myself, I sometimes think serving at least a couple years should be mandatory for everyone as part of education (without the indoctrination portions) to at least learn some actual skills and empathy for others.

#52 11 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Some of your points are valid indeed, but you are missing one small part. One more person joining the military voluntarily is one less chance that you (at the time) or your children get drafted. Being in the military is not glamorous or a nice payday for most people. There are certainly sacrifices that come with it for many, sometimes way more annoying than civilian jobs. You can't just 'leave' the military, and there are many times you are not 'just doing a job' because being in the military is not just the job you do, but everything else that comes with being in the military. They have janitors in the military, but those janitors do more than clean bathrooms and then go home.
Do we need 'thanks yous' and discounts? No, we do not.....but those type of things (such as tax breaks on property taxes) are small incentives to encourage people to continue to serve. Do I wish there was less need for military? Yep. However, having served myself, I sometimes think serving at least a couple years should be mandatory for everyone as part of education (without the indoctrination portions) to at least learn some actual skills.

Let me preface this response (and I should have done so on my first one) that I'm not anti-military - I also think we should have a mandatory 1 or 2 year service like some other countries - you turn 18, you enlist. I personally know some that DO enlist have no other options - didn't do well in school, couldn't get into college, so it's either the military or a factory job in Podunk LA. And at the risk of sounding patronizing now, we thank you - with all honesty and sincerity, thank you. I'm simply expressing another opinion, and we all know what those are worth.

There are kids that dream of growing up to be astronauts, scientists, firefighters, cops, soldiers, farmers, archaeologists, you name it. But it's a choice - you and millions of others chose that life. A farmer feeds thousands of people, a scientist creates a vaccine that cures COVID - who's to say who's deserving of a discount? I wish there was no need for a military either, but there will probably never be another draft - there are enough kids who want to be in the service like Dad and grandpa to prevent it, because the wars of yesteryear with walls of bodies being thrown at each other and whoever had the most soldiers wins are done - drones and laptops will fight from afar now. Yes, there will always need to be boots on the ground, but WWIII will be very different from the first two.

Again, it boils down to one thing, and I would bet a large sum of money that if someone contested it up to the Supreme Court they would prevail, because it's discriminatory. That's the bottom line. A schoolteacher getting a better mortgage rate than the guy emptying her trash cans every week is simply discrimination based solely on occupation. If anyone can disprove that last sentence to me, I'm all ears.

Never had these Pinwoofer speakers but i hear they're the shit.......

#53 11 months ago

Today is Armed Forces Day !!
Put out your Flag and celebrate your freedoms !!
Thank you to all VETS across All the services - Active Duty,Retired,The National Guards.
Pinwoofer has done me right,early buyer here for my Munsters game,still going strong and sounds great - TY Pinwoofer/Dan

#55 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think military/first responder discounts of ANY kind are bullshit. Now there are even special parking spots at stores. I remember house shopping and learning that military personnel/first responders/school teachers get discounts and special rates, still do, depending on the lenders.
You CHOSE to go into the military, or be a cop, or a schoolteacher, or a firefighter (unless you were drafted, and there hasn't been one in over 75 years). It wasn't ordained by God

Police officers risk their lives everytime they put on their uniforms and run towards danger while others run from it.

Our military keeps us safe and ensures our freedom and way of life.

Giving them a small discount as a way for businesses to show appreciation shouldn't bother you so much. The fact that it does says more about you than Pinwoofer wanting to give back and thank those brave men and women.

Just my two cents.

#56 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Again, it boils down to one thing, and I would bet a large sum of money that if someone contested it up to the Supreme Court they would prevail, because it's discriminatory. That's the bottom line. A schoolteacher getting a better mortgage rate than the guy emptying her trash cans every week is simply discrimination based solely on occupation. If anyone can disprove that last sentence to me, I'm all ears.

I look at it like a benefit/perk of the job. Do you feel everyone should get stock options and profit sharing from Company A even though they don't work for them? Isn't that also discrimination based on your view? (or maybe a better comparison would be Company B partnering with Company A and giving discounts to employees of Company A).

#57 11 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Police officers risk their lives everytime they put on their uniforms and run towards danger while others run from it.
Our military keeps us safe and ensures our freedom and way of life.
Giving them a small discount as a way for businesses to show appreciation shouldn't bother you so much. The fact that it does says more about you than Pinwoofer wanting to give back and thank those brave men and women.
Just my two cents.

You're right, and mine is my 2 cents.

They chose to do a job, whether it's scrubbing toilets or joining the army. But it's discriminatory to give discounts based on a career choice. That's all I'm saying. Trying to read deeper into me isn't going to be done in these couple paragraphs.

#58 11 months ago

Should senior citizen discounts also be discontinued?

#59 11 months ago

Isn't it going to have a larger impact if they donate to a charity rather than giving a one-off discount to individual customers? Seems reasonable to me.

#60 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You're right, and mine is my 2 cents.
They chose to do a job, whether it's scrubbing toilets or joining the army. But it's discriminatory to give discounts based on a career choice. That's all I'm saying. Trying to read deeper into me isn't going to be done in these couple paragraphs.

You're making a straw man argument.

How many janitors lost their lives or were wounded in the line of duty? How many janitors were cursed at or spit on simply for doing their jobs?

With all due respect, your resentment towards law enforcement is telling.

#61 11 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I look at it like a benefit/perk of the job. Do you feel everyone should get stock options and profit sharing from Company A even though they don't work for them? Isn't that also discrimination based on your view? (or maybe a better comparison would be Company B partnering with Company A and giving discounts to employees of Company A).

But you aren't getting that benefit/perk from the EMPLOYER - you are getting it from everyone ELSE (banks, retails, etc) while others AREN'T, do you see the difference?

As for the stock reference, if I've invested in a company I expect to be rewarded or punished based on that choice - random people don't just get stock options or profit sharing.....

The company A and company B thing is splitting hairs.....this is a little more black and white than that.

If window washers got preferential mortgage rates, discounts on other things, reserved parking spots at stores, free food from McDonalds, would that seem right to you? Simply because they're window washers?

I've stated my OPINION and why i think it's valid....not looking to make any enemies here. Just a comparison of ideas and thoughts.

I'm gonna go play some pinball.

#62 11 months ago

OP....Please get back in here before the Lock....!!!............Joey

#63 11 months ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

OP....Please get back in here before the Lock....!!!............Joey

Was thinking the exact same thing when I posted about 45 mins ago. Wanted to get a quick shout in for Armed Forces Day,Pinwoofer and giving the OP a chance to close it out.

IBTL

#64 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If window washers got preferential mortgage rates, discounts on other things, reserved parking spots at stores, free food from McDonalds, would that seem right to you? Simply because they're window washers?
I've stated my OPINION and why i think it's valid....not looking to make any enemies here. Just a comparison of ideas and thoughts.

I wouldn't think anything of it actually. Depending on what those perks were might entice me to be a window washer. My point about company A and B are because that happens all the time. Because of the company I work for I get discounts on movie tickets, amusement parks, mortgages, etc and they are unrelated to what I do for a living.

And, I'm not upset, just pointing out some things I don't think you are considering.

#65 11 months ago

If the government thought the country needed more window washers, it might offer a mortgage discount.

#66 11 months ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Greetings all.
I had a feeling this is where things were headed despite my best efforts to thank the op for his service, and having gently and thoughtfully explained what we are now doing now and why. (This was through a number of emails exchanged over the past 24 hours.)
Let me first state that we here at PinWoofer are highly patriotic, we love our country, and we love our Military and First Responders. We also love the innocent which is why our charitable contributions are structured the way they are.
The decision to change from individual service discounts to regular contributions last year, was in part to better spread the joy among the many possible worthy causes, and to increase the amount we are able to contribute.
We don't really advertise this part of our tiny operation, but when you purchase our products, you are in a small way supporting what we think is some great work being done out there.
We invite you to take a look at what we are doing and reflect:
https://pinwoofer.com/blog/pinwoofer-giving/
We are not upset about this and are 100% committed to what we are doing and how we are doing it. We also thank the op for his service and wish him the best.
Always happy to consider feedback.
Dan
https://PinWoofer.com
[email protected]
+1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MT, Mon - Fri

Small business are tough, great response Dan. Keep up the good work.

#67 11 months ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I wish I could hear something different and unique

You're in the Navy ? Cool. Stay safe my friend.

LTG : )

#68 11 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

How many janitors lost their lives or were wounded in the line of duty? How many janitors were cursed at or spit on simply for doing their jobs?
With all due respect, your resentment towards law enforcement is telling.

You're trying to make this personal, that's your 2nd attempt now.

If you don't want to get shot at or spit on, don't join the army or be a cop. Again, it's a career choice. To be rewarded for the rest of your life for spending 2 years in the service when you got out of high school isn't fair, it's that simple.

I'm not trying to get a 10% discount on a hamburger, I'm just expressing a different point of view than you.

"Janitor Needed ; duties include cleaning and mopping. May also get shot at, stabbed or spit on".....come on.

Let me try to de-straw this for you, scarecrow - if everyone who's ever driven a cab got a 50% discount on everything for the rest of their lives, would it be fair? Of course not. Now simply change the percentages and occupation and you've agreed with me. To say otherwise, you're just being an argumentative asshat. I know once you mention veterans/the military everyone gets all up in arms (no pun intended), but we're just having a discussion here. The underlying premise is the same.

#69 11 months ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I personally reserve the recognition for those who got shot at.

I'm with you on that one man!

NAVY 1992-1996
USS Tripoli

#70 11 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I wouldn't think anything of it actually. Depending on what those perks were might entice me to be a window washer. My point about company A and B are because that happens all the time. Because of the company I work for I get discounts on movie tickets, amusement parks, mortgages, etc and they are unrelated to what I do for a living.
And, I'm not upset, just pointing out some things I don't think you are considering.

I appreciate the level headed discourse, it's a breath of fresh air.

It's not like I sit around thinking about things like this either - just happened to stumble on this thread and expressed my thoughts.

And that's an excellent point about the discounts - however, if you quit that job today, you wouldn't get those perks for the rest of your life, would you? You get those because of your employer and their relationship with other companies, not the occupation itself - not all janitors get VA benefits, just the ones that were in the service.

I know I sound like a real dick to just about everyone but this really is an interesting conversation. To me anyways.

#71 11 months ago

In all sincerity, the best way to support (if you want to support) our veterans is through charitable donations or your time. My favorites are The Gary Sinise Foundation or Wounded Warriors. The attached link is a comprehensive list of reputable organizations that spend at least 75% of their capital on programs.

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities/veterans-military

#72 11 months ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

In all sincerity, the best way to support (if you want to support) our veterans is through charitable donations

Got my Poppy yesterday.

LTG : )

DSC00047 (resized).JPGDSC00047 (resized).JPG
#73 11 months ago

Well, this has taken a turn.

#74 11 months ago

They were gonna make me a major for this, and I wasn't even in their fucking army anymore.

#75 11 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Wouldn’t be a Pinside debate without someone mentioning a straw man argument.

#76 11 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They were gonna make me a major for this, and I wasn't even in their fucking army anymore.

IMG_7921 (resized).jpegIMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
#77 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You CHOSE to go into the military, or be a cop, or a schoolteacher, or a firefighter (unless you were drafted, and there hasn't been one in over 75 years). It wasn't ordained by God - it's a job. I'd venture that the vast majority of veterans never got near a battlefield. Is a janitor that scrubs toilets at a nursing home any less deserving?
There's a word for it - it's called discrimination, and it's illegal. I have no doubt that if someone were to challenge it in court they would win. Giving preferential treatment (or NOT) because of someone's skin color, age, sex, religion, or occupation is discriminatory. Period.
Adjusting flame suit....

You're part of our problem with this country right now, you just don't understand sacrifice or patriotism do you? Probably woke id imagine.

#78 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I tried the diy route and it was too much of a pain in the ass. The up charge is worth it for people like me that want a drop in kit that it’s very well made, with top notch customer service.

As founder of DIY, I agree it's a pain in the ass. Pinwoofer makes good sound accessible to many more people. I still DIY as I'm used to it and keep a stash of parts on-hand for quick setups.

OP was definitely trying to shame PW into reinstating a discount. Glad it didn't work.

#79 11 months ago
Quoted from ThePlumber:

You're part of our problem with this country right now, you just don't understand sacrifice or patriotism do you? Probably woke id imagine.

Lol....you're hilarious. I know as soon as you mention veterans and the military, people like you are beating their chests and wrapping themselves in the nearest flag. You aren't following the logic at all, you're getting emotional.

Think of it this way, snowflake - if everyone who's ever driven a cab got a 50% discount on things for the rest of their life, would it be fair? Or legal?

No. Challenged, it would never stand up in a court of law. EVER.

To argue otherwise is idiotic. Now just change the percentages and occupation, and you've agreed with me. It's discriminatory. That's all. Don't lose sleep over this thread. I won't. My opinion isn't worth ten cents, neither is yours. Mine isn't a POPULAR one since it involves veterans, this is the most downvotes I've ever gotten in 10 years, but I will be ok.

#80 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Giving preferential treatment (or NOT) because of someone's skin color, age, sex, religion, or occupation is discriminatory. Period.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

They chose to do a job, whether it's scrubbing toilets or joining the army. But it's discriminatory to give discounts based on a career choice.

Skin color, age, sex, sexual orientation, etc are all very much not choices. You are who you are. Occupation (maybe religion?) is very much a choice. It is not discrimination to react to someone's choice. Ex: if someone chooses to say ugly things, it is not discrimination to shun them. I am allowed to have opinions on occupations and those who choose them.

For example, deciding to donate extra money to underpaid teachers because you value their work is not the same as choosing to refuse someone housing or employment solely because of their skin color. If you cannot see that difference I have no clue what to tell you.

#81 11 months ago

I don't understand the entitlement of some, not all veterans. If you got drafted into Vietnam and had no choice, thank you for your service. If you signed up because you thought it was cool, liked the benefits, saw it as a good career path, or because you wanted to *serve your country* then you picked a job. No different than if you had chosen to be a logger, oil derrick operator, or any other dangerous profession.

Crying over a 10 percent discount being taken away for toys. Congrats, this is peak entitlement.

#82 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Skin color, age, sex, sexual orientation, etc are all very much not choices. You are who you are. Occupation (maybe religion?) is very much a choice. It is not discrimination to react to someone's choice. Ex: if someone chooses to say ugly things, it is not discrimination to shun them. I am allowed to have opinions on occupations and those who choose them.
For example, deciding to donate extra money to underpaid teachers because you value their work is not the same as choosing to refuse someone housing or employment solely because of their skin color. If you cannot see that difference I have no clue what to tell you.

#83 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

You're making my argument FOR me - someone who had no control over how they were born being treated differently is discriminatory - so is someone being treated differently for choices they DID have control over. We arent talking about REACTIONS to choices, we're talking about actual policies - you can react to whatever you want however you want. A policy that grants preferential treatment to a group of people (cops/veterans/firefighters/cab drivers/bullfighters/librarians) because of their career choice is discriminatory - how can you not see that?

You can donate money to whoever you want for whatever reason you want, that's not what's being argued at all. Refusing someone housing, OR giving someone a preferential mortgage rate, because of their occupation??? Discriminatory.....

#84 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You're trying to make this personal, that's your 2nd attempt now.

To say otherwise, you're just being an argumentative asshat.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

Think of it this way, snowflake

You win. Apologies for making it personal. You're truly the better person.

#85 11 months ago

As a Canadian in this thread:

giphy (1) (resized).pnggiphy (1) (resized).png
#86 11 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

You win. Apologies for making it personal. You're truly the better person.

You're right, i sunk to your level for a moment.

Apologies on my side too.

#87 11 months ago

This has been a lot of fun but I get off work in 20 minutes, so please, if you're typing up a pot shot get it in now -

#88 11 months ago

As an American I'm sitting there next to you. Lol.

Quoted from BMGfan:

As a Canadian in this thread:[quoted image]

#89 11 months ago

OP, you can thank me for taking the heat off you.

As for everyone else, it's pretty simple - if you get a better mortgage rate/discount/etc because you have blonde hair, or you are/were a librarian, or you are a man, it's discriminatory and unfair. I don't know how else to express it. It's just that simple.

I'm not forming a milita and marching on the capital demanding to change it. This was just an exchange of opinions and views. I knew mine wasn't going to be popular from the outset. I'm glad some people engaged in meaningful back and forth.

Have a good weekend Pinside. I hope we can still be friends.

#90 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You're making my argument FOR me - someone who had no control over how they were born being treated differently is discriminatory - so is someone being treated differently for choices they DID have control over. We arent talking about REACTIONS to choices, we're talking about actual policies - you can react to whatever you want however you want. A policy that grants preferential treatment to a group of people (cops/veterans/firefighters/cab drivers/bullfighters/librarians) because of their career choice is discriminatory - how can you not see that?
You can donate money to whoever you want for whatever reason you want, that's not what's being argued at all. Refusing someone housing, OR giving someone a preferential mortgage rate, because of their occupation??? Discriminatory.....

I would consider the government giving a discounted mortgage rate to someone who has served the government more of an incentive to serve.

#91 11 months ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Can I offer an opinion as to hearing "Thank you for your service".
It's been beat to death and it really doesn't carry much meaning
anymore because people just spew it out constantly.
Frankly I'm tired of hearing it. No offense intended
but I wish I could hear something different and unique
like" hey you served? Cool ! Thx man!...I know that's kind
of lame but at least it sounds genuine!!
CE3 NMCB 1 United States Navy..Seabees. 1988-1991

I agree and alot of folks commenting clearly didn't read the entire post. Canned thank yous don't ring as true, though they may be. If you are going to do it, and most don't expect it, try not to sound like the cashier who is required to drone it out at you every f'n day.

I am a homeowner thanks to my VA loan. My wife's student loans were paid off because of her service. And I eat the scrawny free chicken meal at Pollo every second Tuesday. But because I ate that free meal, I usually pay for a meal every week. And hey, USAA for military, vets, and family only. Some of you folks really don't use them because the juice is the squeeze? Come on!

#92 11 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Canned thank yous don't ring as true, though they may be. If you are going to do it, and most don't expect it, try not to sound like the cashier who is required to drone it out at you every f'n day.

If someone says thank you for your service I believe they mean it. Why would someone who doesn't mean it even bother to say it?

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwoofer-no-longer-honoring-military-discounts/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.