Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinrepairguides_6-19-12.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

There's all kinds of content on that site that is attributed to a wide variety of people - it's certainly not public domain - look at all the pictures and the copyrights reserved, and there's no clear policy regarding the submission of content and who owns it or what is "legal use".

It is on this page:
    http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=PinWiki:Copyrights

"The copyright for original material posted to PinWiki.com remains with the author, but by publishing it to PinWiki.com, the author grants PinWiki.com an irrevocable license to display that material. To receive an exemption from this irrevocable license you must receive express written permission prior to the submission of content. By submitting material to PinWiki.com you acknowledge that you have the rights to grant this license."

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Who and what is PinWiki.com? You can't even do a WHOIS on the domain. The owner of the domain is anonymous. So basically whoever owns that domain has rights to the content.

You can find some info on who owns the domain and runs the site here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/d9b3b76e6a505d3a

Some more info:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/ad9956996eef7e71

When Pinwiki was started, I brought up the licensing issue on KLOV right away because I didn't want to see everyone's work disappear. Casey replied that he was going to use the same license as Wikipedia. As you have brought up, it isn't spelled out extremely well on the current site. I believe the intent of the current license is to try and keep someone from contributing content and then taking their ball and going home. But it does come off as restrictive rather than permissive. I don't think that was the intent, but it is good to have everything spelled out and clear so no problems arise in the future. The KLOV thread where this was discussed is here (see post #31):
    http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=180989

Casey seems pretty open to discussion and making things available, so I'd think he'd respond if your concerns were addressed to him directly.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Some of you guys are suprisingly pessimistic about PinWiki and it's future.

I'm certainly not pessimistic, and I don't think PinballHelp is either. I use Pinwiki and I'm a contributor (I wish I had time to contribute more.) Our concerns are about making sure the content is freely available and can't be locked away. Sure the site may be mirrored, but that does not address the rights to the content. There are tons of different licenses that are permissive but still retain rights for the creator of the content. Pinwiki needs to decide which one is used and state it right up front so that contributors know or can find out how their contributions will be handled. I brought this up right at the beginning because it is easier to get in front of this issue rather than try to patch it up after the fact.

I'm no expert on copyright, I'm just a bystander who kind of pays attention to this stuff and often sees what a mess is created.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Does anyone see what I mean when I say it as platform isn't that stable?

Yes, we're both saying the same thing and have the same concerns. I raised them over a year ago when the site started. As I said earlier, I think Casey intends for the content to be freely available. But as you point out, as things are currently worded it isn't that way.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Chris are you running that site?

PinballHelp, have you read any of my responses other than the first one? Sorry if this response comes off as snippy, but I feel like everything I've stated is splatting on the wall. I pointed out who runs the site (Casey, it isn't Chris Hibler). I pointed to the thread on RGP where he introduces himself. I pointed out on KLOV where he said he intended for everything to be open. We can debate this here ad nauseum, but until this is addressed to Casey (who runs the site), nothing will come of it.

I admit I haven't taken the time to raise the licensing issue with him again. And I probably won't as it isn't on my "to-do" list at the moment. I do share concern about it and I think it is a valid thing to worry about, and it can be fixed with the use of the proper license and terms. But I freely admit that I'm not going to be the torch bearer for it at this point in time.

Edit: Here's more: http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/pinwiki/index.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stangbat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwiki?tu=stangbat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.