Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinrepairguides_6-19-12.JPG
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #52 11 years ago

PinballHelp, I saw you site a few days ago without realizing it was you who was posting to this thread. Very nice site, and the videos are great. That's one feature I wish pinwiki had.

Hopefully some of your issues with pinwiki licensing will be resolved, or at least addressed.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to put together your site - good stuff.

#53 11 years ago

The important thing to remember is that Pinwiki is available and it's helping to get machines repaired & back in play.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

We will not publish until there is a finished product. I can tell you that some of the technical documentation I have been processing with other team members is really amazing stuff, and that while the process is slower than many of the team members would like it to be, we firmly believe the finished product will be worth the wait.

But is anything ever truly "finished"?
    I think posting and updating would benefit the Community more than waiting for everything to be finished and perfect. But Kudos to you and the others for what you are doing. Just my 2 cents.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The important thing to remember is that Pinwiki is available and it's helping to get machines repaired & back in play.

Thats right ...... lets keep this topic on point and off the rocks - thanks

#56 11 years ago

http://pinball.wikia.com/wiki/Pinball_Wiki

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pinwiki is quickly gaining valuable information. Not in Clays league yet but at this rate it eventually will be. I'm not sure what the deal is with the top link but it seems it's an alternative place to contribute to if you don't like pinwiki.Not much there at this point but there could be.

#57 11 years ago

Obviously there are lots of resources online for people to get help. Clay has a bunch of his guides up. I don't think he intends to pull them from the net, he's just been going over everything to avoid any more claims about having unauthorized content.

As for my stuff, I never claimed to be in Clay's league or anyone else's. In fact if you visit my site, you'll see I clearly credit a number of other people and sites. I think this is basically the way it is everywhere. We are all grateful to every resource that's online. And PinWiki is another really nice resource. I especially like some of the way the information there is formatted. I hope it stays around.

I still consider my informational videos to be somewhat "amateur" - I never meant for them to be any type of professional advice, and I've said that since day one. My stuff is more of a, "Let's watch as this guy tries to fix his machine." What I really wanted to do more than anything else is give complete chronicles of all the trials of getting a machine working, so my videos often start right after I've unloaded a new game from my truck, and along the way as I figure out how things work.

With my work, usually by the time I finish a video, I'm like, "Wow, I could have done that much better..." and there's not a single video I've shot where I didn't want to erase it and start over, but I also realize that if I staged everything, I'd not get anything done and there'd be nothing up, so if even one person appreciates the stuff I've uploaded, I'm grateful. And in almost every video I usually talk about how I look at Clay's guide or PinWiki or ask questions online... that's the nature of how it's done. All these resources are great.

#58 11 years ago

Which guides of Clay's are up. All I see are these few, not a bunch.

pinrepairguides_6-19-12.JPGpinrepairguides_6-19-12.JPG

#59 11 years ago

I haven't checked lately because I have them printed out from a long time ago... I didn't check to see what was up and what wasn't. But it doesn't hurt to drop some money to the cause at http://pinrepair.com/donate/ You never know what you might find.

I get the impression the more people dis him in public, the less motivated he is to put more guides up (but this is just my opinion, I do NOT speak for him and have no idea what his plans are), but I am grateful for what he's done and since he's always been a good guy to me. I believe his critics are a minority and we all want those guides back online for the rest of the community to enjoy. Showing a token by going to the donate page probably also helps.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

But it doesn't hurt to drop some money to the cause at http://pinrepair.com/donate/ You never know what you might find.

Donations help out a great deal!! and Clay deserves every bit of it!! What you'll find is a username and password for his Awesome PinBallNinja Site which is filled with excellent info and Videos too.

Clay has put a lot of time and effort into this hobby with the best info around!! Period!!
    Keep up the great work Clay!!

#61 11 years ago

so how much is a nice donation to Clay? wouldnt mind donating but it seems as if you have to donate a certain amount to get access to the forums. Also does he have the guides up in the forums? Would gladly donate for that.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

so how much is a nice donation to Clay? wouldnt mind donating but it seems as if you have to donate a certain amount to get access to the forums. Also does he have the guides up in the forums? Would gladly donate for that.

20 bucks or more...Keep in mind donations are a huge help and give as much as you can.
    There are no guides there but Theres so much info there it's unreal over 650 repairs very well documented and lots of info on all the systems,Some with videos too...Trust me it's worth every cent!!!

#63 11 years ago

I would gladly donate if he has something on gottlieb system 3's. cant get any help anywhere for those. have a sound problem on my teed off for a while now. might have to go check it out.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I would gladly donate if he has something on gottlieb system 3's. cant get any help anywhere for those. have a sound problem on my Teed off for a while now. might have to go check it out.

He does....There are plenty of repairs on gottileb system 3

#65 11 years ago

+1 to the pinball ninja site. Well worth the $20.

#66 11 years ago

Another +1 for Pinball Ninja. He's started to include more videos in his repairs, too.

#67 11 years ago

always like his site

#68 11 years ago

Pinball ninja def worth the donation

5 years later
    #69 6 years ago

Is Pinwiki down?

#70 6 years ago

It definitely looks that way

#71 6 years ago

Yea, bummer too. Needed some info on data east sound board repair.

#73 6 years ago

Does anyone know if pinwiki is still accepting contributors?

I've got lots of pics I'd like to submit, and maybe even add some useful content as well.

I sent my request through the system on the site, but I never heard back. This was about a month ago.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Does anyone know if pinwiki is still accepting contributors?
    I've got lots of pics I'd like to submit, and maybe even add some useful content as well.
    I sent my request through the system on the site, but I never heard back. This was about a month ago.

Always looking for new / more contributors. Your user ID request may have been lost in the mix, but I don't want to speak for Casey. I will alert him of your post.

Jim

#75 6 years ago

I went through the steps, and I think I'm still waiting for some kind of confirmation email. I can't recall exactly where I left off, but feel free to have Casey PM me here if need-be.

1 year later
    #76 4 years ago

It's been 7 years since this thread was started. Pinwiki seems to still be alive and well.

Are there any other serious competitors for freely available repair information?

#77 4 years ago

Some of Clay's Guides are back (or for the first time):

http://www.pinrepair.com/

EM Guide

Gottlieb System 1 guide

Gottlieb System 3 guide

Bally 6803 Guide

Game Plan Guide

Zaccaria Guide (new)

#78 4 years ago

There's some scattered info usually written by individuals researching or experimenting with something specific, but for the most part, pinwiki is probably the largest repository of info.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

It's been 7 years since this thread was started. Pinwiki seems to still be alive and well.
    Are there any other serious competitors for freely available repair information?

While dormant, Clay’s repair blog details almost 900 repairs. It does (or did) require a $20 donation to gain access.

http://www.pinballninja.com

I learned a ton from reading those.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

While dormant, Clay’s repair blog details almost 900 repairs. It does (or did) require a $20 donation to gain access.
    http://www.pinballninja.com
    I learned a ton from reading those.

Pinball Ninja is so worth the money. Clay did an excellent job on some of the repairs and videos. I highly recommend reading the entire thing. His Facebook posts are ok, but they usually have very little detail to them compared to what he was doing on his blog.

6 months later
    #81 3 years ago

How does one get access to contribute to PinWiki? I tried getting an account but couldn’t get it to work.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from adalogue:

How does one get access to contribute to PinWiki? I tried getting an account but couldn’t get it to work.

Accounts are manually approved periodically. If you just registered, it might take a week or more for the account to be approved.

#83 3 years ago

I went to this link:
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=PinWiki_Contributors_ReadMe

And clicked this link to register:
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_An_Account&action=edit&redlink=1

And get this message: “This page has not been created yet.”

So have not been able to figure out how to request an account to be created. Any tips?

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from adalogue:

So have not been able to figure out how to request an account to be created. Any tips?

Just click the link in the upper right corner that says "request account".

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just click the link in the upper right corner that says "request account".

Thanks - was not visible on iOS Safari!

#86 3 years ago

In the table of Bally SS games, the order listed is apparently chronological but a few of them are out of order.

Example: Kiss was released after Star Trek, not after Dolly Parton. At least according to the Bally parts catalog linked on the site, and Mr. Pinball, and it also tracks with my memory of it. By features it seems logical too because Kiss has many of the same sounds as the previous Lost World, 6M$M, Playboy, Voltan, Supersonic, and Star Trek. Then the three games after Kiss have a different set of common sounds (Paragon, Harlem, Dolly).

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from RoyGBev:

In the table of Bally SS games, the order listed is apparently chronological but a few of them are out of order.
    Example: Kiss was released after Star Trek, not after Dolly Parton. At least according to the Bally parts catalog linked on the site, and Mr. Pinball, and it also tracks with my memory of it. By features it seems logical too because Kiss has many of the same sounds as the previous Lost World, 6M$M, Playboy, Voltan, Supersonic, and Star Trek. Then the three games after Kiss have a different set of common sounds (Paragon, Harlem, Dolly).

Easy enough to fix. All set: https://www.pinwiki.com//wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally

Here's the early Bally games ordered by production date: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=47&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwiki/page/2?hl=benb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.