Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 288 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinWiz2180
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

500 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191227-212023 (resized).png
    wiki (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180322-181743 (resized).png
    Securi_Washing_Machine (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfesler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 4 years ago

This happens regardless of browser or ISP, and it's been going on for months.
    I've finally captured this with video, and a proxy to show the requests. -sent details via email. If you don't see it, check your spam folder for [email protected] .

6 months later
    #76 4 years ago

Compromised wikis serving malware often look at referrers and user agents. They don’t want the site owner to realize the site is compromised. Nor do they want search engines to detect malware.

1 month later
    #162 4 years ago

Still getting page hijacks.

#163 4 years ago

At this point the only way I can view the site at all its changing my user agent to a completely bogus value ("User-Agent: x").

#175 4 years ago

I've been a bit of the mind of trying to convert the content to straight markdown - permitting the web site to be staticly generated. Host it on something like GitHub, and the edits could be reviewed (for abuse) then merged. As a static site, there's nothing to compromise. No PHP crap. Github would even host the static content.

However, that conversion .. is painful. I did spend time looking at it. There's only a couple MediaWiki to markdown converters; they assume you have a backup of the web site (I don't run that web site). And we'd still need to update all links to be useful. It's possible, it's "just" work. More than I can do as weekend project proof of concept to offer. I did look at just a blind pandoc conversion; the resulting markdown is more than a bit ugly. If I were to really tackle this I'd more likely than not attempt to write a proper converter that understands at least enough of the MediaWiki actually used on the site to markdown.

I genuinely hope that the folks running the site 1: realize they're still 0wn3d, 2: will reach out for help, and 3: before either they or the community give up. It's such a valuable resource - *when* you can get to it.

#177 4 years ago

Chris,

I *really* want pinwiki to continue to be the place to be. It's really incredibly valuable. I know for me personally it's helped save weeks of delays, and thousands of dollars outsourcing repairs. I've learned an immense amount from the site; and the step by step on troubleshooting is *fantastic*.

Several people on this thread have also offered MediaWiki help. Perhaps someone can also help with a general security review of the host, to make sure the compromise is not via something external to MediaWiki.

Barring that, I only ask (and perhaps you can relay): If at some point Casey wants to throw in the towel, please don't let the content die. If nothing else let us help migrate it, with blessing. There are alternative ways to maintain things, that are less dynamic and more secure. But, I know change can be hard.

3 weeks later
    #208 4 years ago

The only way I can use the site is by changing "User-Agent" to "x".

I've mirrored the site into a local cache, just in case. It's too important to get lost. But nearly entirely unusable for my browsers (plural). It's so bad I can no longer recommend pinwiki urls as solutions to common problems.

#232 4 years ago

I can contribute a month’s worth of hosting, whatever that ends up being. I’m sure others can as well, if money is a real concern.

I’ve got a scrape of the site, pairings of URL + content. It would be a tremendously easier task for a clean backup made from the built in media wiki scripts for someone else to audit (for malware) and import (or convert). If needed, what I crawled could be used (but it’s rendered HTML right now, not wiki source).

1 week later
    #254 4 years ago

Fingers crossed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfesler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwiki-1?tu=jfesler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.