Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 288 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinWiz2180
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

500 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191227-212023 (resized).png
    wiki (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180322-181743 (resized).png
    Securi_Washing_Machine (resized).jpg
    There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz2180:

Durzel, I was able to replicate based on your info you gave me earlier. I'm working on a few things related to it now.

For what it’s worth you may well have already fixed it as I haven’t been able to reproduce it again with several browsers. I also ran it through some malware scanners too without problems.

It could of course be dormant at the moment, the base64 point mentioned above is a good one. If it were me I’d be upgrading the wiki software to latest and running a file contents comparison against a known good directory tree.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try searching the php files for base64_encode() and base64_decode() functions. The last time I looked at an infected site, that's what was used to compact the malicious code and hide it with a similar browser agent detect function.
    [edit]: https://blog.resellerspanel.com/latest-news/how-to-quickly-fix-base64-infected-website.html

Ooh, good find!

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Durzel:

What video? I haven’t posted a video...

Sorry, sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the right post. Sorry.

#104 4 years ago

I think it may be squashed. No redirects here and I always get them.

#105 4 years ago

I *think* we have this squashed. Took a LOT of time reviewing files to make sure nothing was left over malicious. I can't find anything else lingering, and can't cause it to happen anymore. If anyone has it happen again, let me know immediately. Beefed up some security items while I was at it. Things seem to be back on track and running smooth. Appreciate the help from all. Especially on this one, as like I've said I struggled to replicate the problem for some reason on my daily setup, so getting detailed info from some of you guys helped me to SEE the problem.

#106 4 years ago

I just got hit. Safari. iphone SE

#107 4 years ago

everytime I go to this
    pinwiki.com › wiki › title=Bally › Stern_Electronics_Repair_Guides
    it takes me to this
    http://app6861.smmhck52.live/?utm_campaign=bKMuT7EMVXU5Z6UvvSHONGlfu-yV43iC8T8uYixAFxs1&t=main9_3c0f4108fe6b08fd&f=1

I have to left click on the arrow to go to cached to open.
    been doing it for the past few days that I know about. most other pages seem fine, its just the bally/stern part.

#108 4 years ago

I am being redirected on mobile only right now.

Desktop (windows 10, Chrome browser) is going straight to the wiki if I use pinwiki.com or www.pinwiki.com

Mobile (android 9, Chrome browser is being redirected to the: http://app6861.smmhck52.live link. It is redirecting both www.pinwiki.com and pinwiki.com

#109 4 years ago

Yep, it was fixed for a bit, but now I'm getting redirected again

#110 4 years ago

Pinwiki.com Works for me, iPad using safari.

#111 4 years ago

Im running OSX 10.13.6, and it appears to be working ok in Safari, but when I try to open the site in Firefox, I am getting re-directed. This is even after I have cleared my cashe.

#112 4 years ago

Windows 10, Firefox latest, redirected to a scam site :-/
    But it works fine with IE11.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

everytime I go to this
    pinwiki.com › wiki › title=Bally › Stern_Electronics_Repair_Guides
    it takes me to this
    http://app6861.smmhck52.live/?utm_campaign=bKMuT7EMVXU5Z6UvvSHONGlfu-yV43iC8T8uYixAFxs1&t=main9_3c0f4108fe6b08fd&f=1
    I have to left click on the arrow to go to cached to open.
    been doing it for the past few days that I know about. most other pages seem fine, its just the bally/stern part.

Same... I was ok, until I clicked https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern while navigating from the main page...

Looking at the payload... this is certainly all server side. My clean HTTP GET to GET /wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern HTTP/1.1

returned a body with

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="1;URL=http://apps4509.nonamesrv97.live/?utm_campaign=bKMuT7EMVXU5Z6UvvSHONGlfu-yV43iC8T8uYixAFxs1&t=main9_3c0f4108fe6b08fd">
    <script>
    window.location = "http://apps4509.nonamesrv97.live/?utm_campaign=bKMuT7EMVXU5Z6UvvSHONGlfu-yV43iC8T8uYixAFxs1&t=main9_3c0f4108fe6b08fd";
    </script>
    </head>

So it has to be something in the server or php code. There isn't any malicious js being fed to the client to change the requests/etc.

#114 4 years ago

Just got malware on mobile.

Let me know if you need a hand fixing it. I do this stuff for a living.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Just got malware on mobile.
    Let me know if you need a hand fixing it. I do this stuff for a living.

I sent him a PM yesterday offering my help as well but I haven't heard back yet. While I don't specifically do malware remediation I am a DevOps/Systems Enginner (yes I know devops isn't really a job title but the industry has decided otherwise)

#116 4 years ago

yep, pinwiki is still down.

#117 4 years ago

Yup I just hit it going to the homepage.

#118 4 years ago

Yeah the infection is back full blown. I couldn't even load the page I was going to. Just forwarded me every time. I couldn't see anything in the console in chrome on where the forward was happening. I'm not very familiar with that console though. I'll poke around with some more advanced tools today.

#119 4 years ago

Request:

GET /wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11 HTTP/1.1

Host: www.pinwiki.com
    Connection: close
    DNT: 1
    Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.97 Safari/537.36
    Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3
    Sec-Fetch-Site: none
    Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9

Response:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 15:51:14 GMT
    Server: nginx/1.17.3
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Length: 575
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    X-Server-Cache: true
    X-Proxy-Cache: HIT

<html>
    <head>
    <META http-equiv="refresh" content="1;URL=http://pinside.com">

<script>

window.location = "http://pinside.com";

</script>
    </head>
    <body>

To the new location please
    <b>click here.</b>

</body>
    </html>
    </code

I edited the URL's in the response so that I don't pollute pinside with malware links. From the looks of how this is being done either the infection is in the mediawiki code or perhaps within the webserver configuration.

Additionally the fact that the infection seemed to slowly come back seems to indicate that perhaps there is a rootkit or other backdoor installed to allow access back to reinfect the site. I'm going to guess that the server was not nuked from orbit and data migrated. Really the best course of action when you're dealing with a known infection is to nuke it from orbit and start over.

#120 4 years ago

Still happening. Is anyone working to resolve this?

#121 4 years ago

I just clicked on a link that appeared for the system 11 page in google, and got redirected.

#122 4 years ago

Won’t go to pinwiki anymore as I always get redirected.

#123 4 years ago

On one of my computers I'm logged in, and I can get to Pinwiki. If not logged in, I can't get there.

You can do a Google search and look at cached pages. The Wayback Machine (archive.org) probably also works, haven't checked though.

I hope Casey is working on this. As of now the site is pretty much worthless.

Edit: You can also get to the site if you block scripting.

#124 4 years ago

Is there anything we can do to pitch in and help clean this up?

#125 4 years ago

Multiple people have offered their assistance, myself included. That was over a week ago. I never heard back. He hasn't even shown up in the thread to acknowledge he's aware and working on it.

#126 4 years ago

For those of you trying to visit the site but still having problems: I've been viewing the pages I need using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and then saving them as PDFs to my computer.

#127 4 years ago

Sorry, last 2 weeks I've had multiple personal emergencies come up, that have pulled me away from both PinWiki work as well as even making it on here to let you all know. Site is expected to be 100% inaccessible at some point this week as I seem to have found root cause of issue, but will require a full shut off of site for a day or two to get it taken care of. I appreciate the help offers (I have had 2 different cyber security/DevOps types offer to help). If I ran into another snafu after this go round, I will be in touch with you guys who offered.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz2180:

Sorry, last 2 weeks I've had multiple personal emergencies come up, that have pulled me away from both PinWiki work as well as even making it on here to let you all know. Site is expected to be 100% inaccessible at some point this week as I seem to have found root cause of issue, but will require a full shut off of site for a day or two to get it taken care of. I appreciate the help offers (I have had 2 different cyber security/DevOps types offer to help). If I ran into another snafu after this go round, I will be in touch with you guys who offered.

Good luck with the personal stuff. Pinwiki is a great resource for us, but take care of yourself first please!

#129 4 years ago

It appears the "Upload File" link has been removed. It must be temporarily disabled.

#130 4 years ago

Ken, I have uploads temporarily disabled, when I get things ironed out through this week, uploads will go back on. Sorry for the hassle.

#131 4 years ago

I have been adding information to the CAPCOM section today as well as correcting typos. As soon as the upload file feature is restored, I have some pictures to add to the Capcom section.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I have been adding information to the CAPCOM section today as well as correcting typos. As soon as the upload file feature is restored, I have some pictures to add to the Capcom section.

Nice! I have a Capcom resetting issue that is not documented there yet.

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz2180:

Thanks for your hard work! Pinwiki is a invaluable resource!!

#134 4 years ago

iPhone iOS 13.3

Safari via pin wiki or google redirects for stern/bally link

Chrome works

Which I find odd as chrome on iOS is just a wrapper of safari

1 week later
    #135 4 years ago

I'm getting redirected and multiple pop ups when trying to access some parts of PinWiki.
    Samsung S10 using the Samsung browser.

#136 4 years ago

Same. Samsung S10 with chrome

#137 4 years ago

Yeah. Why is it the site is always hacked? Moto z force phone.

How does this happen?

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Yeah. Why is it the site is always hacked? Moto z force phone.
    How does this happen?

Because Casey doesn’t fully understand what he is doing? He should have reached out for help a long time ago it sounds like from reading this thread.

#139 4 years ago

Bummer! Shame to lose this resource... Again. I better get to the Wayback machine.

#140 4 years ago

The annoying part is not knowing what sort of sh*t these sites have put on my phone.

#141 4 years ago

You can use archive.org’s “the Wayback Machine” to see point-in-time copies of many websites. Here’s a copy from March, which should be far enough back to avoid the cruft:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180126191428/http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/

#142 4 years ago

... OOooor...
    just make sure the UR has "www." in front of the domain name.. I still use the site, just did this past weekend.

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

... OOooor...
    just make sure the UR has "www." in front of the domain name.. I still use the site, just did this past weekend.

Doesn't always work for me

#144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

... OOooor...

Ooooeeeee?
    That's a fine fix as well as the way back machine but we are a couple of farts away from 2020. There is no reason why a website should act like it's 2002.

No offense to anyone especially the owner of the site. I appreciate your work but how can the pinball community help? Is it a problem with the code? Let's redesign the site. I care more about the info then the wiki look.

Is it the fact anyone can edit the site? Let's shut that function down and come up with a submission process.

What is the problem and what radical change needs to be made? Fuck my phone beeping and flashing when I look at the Sys80 info!

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

That's a fine fix as well as the way back machine but we are a couple of farts away from 2020. There is no reason why a website should act like it's 2002.

I don't think that actually does anything. www or non-www doesn't seem to affect the malicious redirects. It might be based on the browser agent, referral, or cookie data, or some combination thereof.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Is it a problem with the code?

I suspect there is malicious code embedded in some of the php files. It's a common method of infection and selective redirection so that some visitors get redirected and others do not. It's a way to stay hidden longer.

These infections usually occur when there's a vulnerability in a website. Unfortunately, the wiki had not been updated in a while, so it's likely a malicious actor took advantage of an unpatched vulnerability and used that as a means to embed code into the site.

The site was upgraded, and hopefully would have replaced the infected files, but this appeared not to be the case. So either there's still some infected files that were left in place (sometimes not all files need to be replaced during an upgrade), possibly some malicious code ended up in the database, possibly that malicious database code wrote itself back into the php files, or the site somehow got reinfected by other means.

Without actually getting eyes on the source code or database, all I can do is speculate. It sounds like Casey received a few offers of help with cleaning out the infection--I'm not sure if that went anywhere yet or not since Casey's last post in the thread here.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Let's redesign the site. I care more about the info then the wiki look.

A wiki is not a look. It's a type of website. It allows others to collaboratively edit the structure and content, and also logs the changes.

Currently, a wiki is the best engine to use when multiple people are editing content on a single website, unlike with a blog where there is basically only one author.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Is it the fact anyone can edit the site? Let's shut that function down and come up with a submission process.

No, only users with user accounts can edit, and those user accounts need to be approved manually.

#146 4 years ago

Sounds like they need to wipe the server and put a fresh wiki on, then import the old pages again or something.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Sounds like they need to wipe the server and put a fresh wiki on, then import the old pages again or something.

You would still need to go through the database, uploaded files, config files, template files, etc

It's not quite as simple as that if you also want to retain all the data and avoid inadvertently copying over malicious code, which might be what happened during the upgrade.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think that actually does anything. www or non-www doesn't seem to affect the malicious redirects. It might be based on the browser agent, referral, or cookie data, or some combination thereof.

As I've stated before, looking at the communication between client and server (being a wed devloper (NOT 'designer'), I have the tools), and no matter what page I hit, if the server name is "pinwiki.com", the HTML returns has a meta refresh pointing to a bad URL, and a <script> take with a location.refresh to the malicious URL.

Whereas the "www.pinwiki.com" does not. These are not cached, I'm looking at the raw data transfer using Wireshark.

Honestly, ya'll can do what you want - use the wayback machine, whatever. I've offered help numerous times to them, and never heard back. For when I need it, I just add the 'www'. It's a much easier process for me that going to a DIFFERENT website (archive) and typing in the name of the site.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

As I've stated before, looking at the communication between client and server (being a wed devloper (NOT 'designer'), I have the tools), and no matter what page I hit, if the server name is "pinwiki.com", the HTML returns has a meta refresh pointing to a bad URL, and a &lt;script&gt; take with a location.refresh to the malicious URL.
    Whereas the "www.pinwiki.com" does not. These are not cached, I'm looking at the raw data transfer using Wireshark.

Shhhh..... Speculation is always better than facts!

For people that are offering to help, go ahead and set up an unofficial mirror. And be sure to strip out the malicious code as you do it.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Shhhh..... Speculation is always better than facts!
    For people that are offering to help, go ahead and set up an unofficial mirror. And be sure to strip out the malicious code as you do it.

"You may not, except with express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the PinWiki.com content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system." (from https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=PinWiki:Copyrights)

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinwiki-1/page/3?hl=gott_lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.