Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zzap
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

iPad_Air_2_H_SpcGr_sRGB.png
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

After working on a switch matrix problem in my World Cup Soccer machine recently, I thought it would be handy to have an app that could help keep track of working and broken switches and lamps when working on a pinball machine. Searching around I couldn't find anything, so I decided to make it myself!

Pintrix is an interactive reference guide to the switch and lamp matrices used in pinball machines. Features include:

- Highlight squares in the matrix to help find where the problem is, or keep track of blown lamps etc
    - Coloured wiring onscreen to help trace them through in a real machine
    - Information about the relevant connectors and ICs
    - Browse through a wide variety of machines

It currently supports all of the Bally / Williams games through the entire WPC era, from Funhouse to Cactus Canyon. More machines will be released soon via a free app update.

It is available now for both iOS and Android through the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pintrix/id1017596411?mt=8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chunkout.pintrix

Big thanks to Rod from the Pinheadz Pinball Podcast for helping me out with the following promo video too!

Thanks for having a look! Any feedback greatly appreciated!

iPad_Air_2_H_SpcGr_sRGB.pngiPad_Air_2_H_SpcGr_sRGB.png

#2 8 years ago

looks great, just need a new ipad, a shame it doesn't work on the first generation ipads.

#3 8 years ago

Wonderful contribution to the hobby!

Thank you!

#4 8 years ago

Bummer, sorry to hear swinks, Apple does have a habit of forcing upgrades

#5 8 years ago

That's some pretty cool stuff there. Looks pretty easy, are ya gonna take requests for updates to add more machines?

#6 8 years ago

This is cool, will be great when you have some older games on there.

#7 8 years ago

I bought the app as soon as I saw the link. This is excellent for non tech guys like me. And I have allways had problems with understanding the matrix (not the movie, well maybe except the fact that they didn't stop with the excellent first one.)

To bad it's not working with iPad 1. Any chance that you could make that happen?
    It would also be great to zoom in. It becomes very small on an iPhone.

Axl

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

I bought the app as soon as I saw the link. This is excellent for non tech guys like me. And I have allways had problems with understanding the matrix (not the movie, well maybe except the fact that they didn't stop with the excellent first one.)
    To bad it's not working with iPad 1. Any chance that you could make that happen?
    Axl

agree, yes please adjust to suit ipad 1 5.1 software, I bought to support and see if it would work but no.

#9 8 years ago

Nice! This is something like I envisioned after I started entering games for the switch database at http://www.pinitech.com/switch_database.php -- seemed like it would be great to have info on the connectors, wire colors, ICs and possibly mark issues and have it make suggestions where the problem might be. With today's technology it just seemed like the next logical step to put switch and lamp charts into a database that was more user-friendly to make it easier when diagnosing issues while working on a game. Great to see someone with iOS/Android experience that could make it happen!

I'm not sure if it'd help but if you want a dump of the database I've created, let me know. It'd just be switch numbers and names, but I have a majority of the older games in there. Your app would actually be an awesome companion to the switch matrix tester I sell.. especially if you could toggle on/off the cross-hair and the small numbers that identify the switch number on the tester (for games that don't fit the silkscreen numbering) like on my switch database

Great job! It looks like it'll be an awesome troubleshooting aid!

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zedmaniac:

are ya gonna take requests for updates to add more machines?

For sure! I will probably set up a poll to guage interest in different series of machines.

Quoted from Axl:

I bought the app as soon as I saw the link. This is excellent for non tech guys like me.

Thankyou!

Quoted from Axl:

Quoted from swinks:

agree, yes please adjust to suit ipad 1 5.1 software, I bought to support and see if it would work but no.

Thanks for the support, Apple does not seem to support this anymore, so won't let me submit for the older version

Quoted from Axl:

I will look into adding a zoom feature for smaller devices.

#11 8 years ago

when I first saw this, I thought it somehow interfaced with the machine. Now I realize it's basically an info screen (and a way to mark switches as you go through the machine) which is still very handy (especially which chip is related to driving lamps/switches). Are you planning on eventually doing other manufacturers? (SEGA, gottlieb, data east, Stern)

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

I'm not sure if it'd help but if you want a dump of the database I've created, let me know.

That could speed up the addition of extra machines greatly, thanks for the offer! I'll be in contact!

#13 8 years ago

I bought it yesterday as well. Very nice, hoping it soon includes amh, mettle, and and... well... all the machines I own with matricies.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Are you planning on eventually doing other manufacturers? (SEGA, gottlieb, data east, Stern)

Yep, that's the plan for sure

#15 8 years ago

Interesting app. Nice promo video.

Any chance of community contributions to expand the database of available games?

#16 8 years ago

Nicely done! Should be handy.

#17 8 years ago

Awesome contribution, deff going to be handy. Now i just have to buy an ipad! There goes some of the savings for a new pin!

#18 8 years ago

It works fine on my android phone.

#19 8 years ago

Bought this myself to support the effort If the older games can be added with similar features (wire colors, connection identification, etc) this is going to be super useful combined with some other tools/testers. It gets annoying printing pages out of the manual or even finding the switch/lamp charts in the manuals. This would make it much easier.

I think it'd be good to add switch numbering though, on WPC you don't really have to worry about that since the chart matches the chart shown on the DMD.. but once you add older games, the switch numbers will be a necessity. Plus it's nice to have the switch number when referring to the switch location diagram in the manuals -- or if you're using a switch matrix tester.

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    Kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#20 8 years ago

Just bought this to support the cause. Currently I don't own any of these games but love the idea and can't wait for more games to be added. Keep adding games and features and this will become the premier pinball app for repairs.

Great work.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Any chance of community contributions to expand the database of available games?

Yep that's definitely an option, I'll just look into ways it can be done easiest. Maybe even something as simple as an Excel template?

#22 8 years ago

If anyone's interested in providing contributions, send through an email to [email protected] and I'll keep you up to date as I get something in place.

#23 8 years ago

This is marvellous. Bravo!

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from shaneo:

This is marvellous. Bravo!

+1, this takes troubleshooting to a new level.

#26 8 years ago

I've printed the matrix and used markers in the past. This is WAY better. Curious if it saves the results in some way so you can later refer back to it? If so will it somehow support multiple games of the same title meaning I can bring up the matrix results of two of the same game (not necessarily at the same time...)

#27 8 years ago

Would it be possible to input certain data (eg, a combo of switches which cause a ghost switch) to identify a bad diode??

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Would it be possible to input certain data (eg, a combo of switches which cause a ghost switch) to identify a bad diode??

That's something I thought that a switch database could eventually provide -- if you start marking bad switches and enough are identified in a certain pattern.. then suggestions could be made on which circuitry or switches may be at fault. Maybe not something to get involved in right off the bat, but definitely something to think about once the database has most of the machines in it and everything else has been tweaked and you're looking for that next logical step..

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Curious if it saves the results in some way so you can later refer back to it? If so will it somehow support multiple games of the same title meaning I can bring up the matrix results of two of the same game (not necessarily at the same time...)

Currently the results aren't saved, but a new version is close to ready to be released that will save the results. Having multiple versions of the same machine would be possible (kind of different states of repair, or actually two different machines) and maybe some notes. That's a little further away on the development schedule though

Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Quoted from acebathound:

if you start marking bad switches and enough are identified in a certain pattern.. then suggestions could be made on which circuitry or switches may be at fault.

I think that suggested areas to look at would make a great addition to the app, and something I had also considered. Once the databases fill out a bit more, I will look into what might be possible.

#30 8 years ago

Complete list of compatible games available at http://pinballmatrix.com

#31 8 years ago

Bought! Looks great! Zoom feature, good enhancement for IPhone, eventually plans for coils/flashers? My TZ has an ongoing board burnout 12v issue I can't solve, and this would simplify that.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Bought! Looks great! Zoom feature, good enhancement for IPhone, eventually plans for coils/flashers?

Thanks! This will be focusing primarily on the switch and lamp matrices for now, I'd like to get the database expanded for more machines and allow for the different matrix shapes from different manufacturers before expanding to other parts of the machines. It would be good to one day be able to add new games as they roll off the production line!

#33 8 years ago

This is a great idea and I immediately bought the Android version. I'm having some trouble getting it to work, though. It works fine on my Nexus 9, but on the Nexus 10, it doesn't seem to handle tapping on game names properly to select them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does nothing.

And on the Nexus 6, it doesn't display correctly. Here's how it looks in landscape: http://imgur.com/4bhTXRI
    And here's how it looks in portrait: http://imgur.com/CR29Kfk

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eug:

It works fine on my Nexus 9, but on the Nexus 10, it doesn't seem to handle tapping on game names properly to select them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does nothing.

And on the Nexus 6, it doesn't display correctly. Here's how it looks in landscape: http://imgur.com/4bhTXRI
    And here's how it looks in portrait: http://imgur.com/CR29Kfk

I'll look into these ASAP, seems like on the Nexus 6 it's drawing to the higher resolution, but not scaling back down to the screen size correctly. Thankfully Google have an emulator for these devices, so I should be able to fix it up quickly!

#35 8 years ago

Seems like the issue is to do with my app being configured to only run in Landscape and some other software on the device allowing it to rotate to Portrait? Try force quitting the app, rotating the device to Landscape, then running again to see if that fixes it up.

#36 8 years ago

Very cool. I have no idea what this app is doing, but it's cool to see so many community created apps lately. Pinside should create a page that highlights or reviews a few?!

#37 8 years ago

For those interested in Eug's bug above where it wasn't displaying correctly, the issue turned out to be the use of an adaptive screen rotation manager forcing pintrix to start up in portrait mode. This app is really only compatible with landscape mode, however the next release will stop it from going extra large like above when started in portrait.

1 week later
    #38 8 years ago

New version published with the following updates:
    - Performance improvements
    - Added selected game memory - when pintrix shuts down, your game and matrix selections will be remembered
    - Added highlight memory - when selecting other games, highlighted squares are remembered
    - On Android - Improved compatibility with some 3rd party screen rotation software

#40 8 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the support!

#41 8 years ago

Not sure about apple but on Android you will make more money with a 1 time full screen advert than charging for the app. Look into the developers forums on this.

3 weeks later
    #42 8 years ago

v1.2 has just been released with the following updates:

- Added lamp and switch numbers to match the manuals
    - Updated database with Data East / Sega Version 3b games Maverick, Batman Forever, Baywatch and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    - Updated database with Star Wars from 1992! (thanks to a kind contributor!)

Quoted from eh97ac:

Not sure about apple but on Android you will make more money with a 1 time full screen advert than charging for the app. Look into the developers forums on this.

I've had a look around, and can't seem to find anything like this, do you have a reference?

#43 8 years ago

+1 for Stern. If you're ready for Stern but just need game info, share how to help.

#44 8 years ago

AdMob Interstitial documentation ==> https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/admob/android/interstitial

I see your Android downloads are 10-50. Think about if 10% of pinside downloaded your FREE app.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

AdMob Interstitial documentation ==> https://developers.google.com/mobile-ads-sdk/docs/admob/android/interstitial
    I see your Android downloads are 10-50. Think about if 10% of pinside downloaded your FREE app.

Thanks! I'll take a further look into it.

Unfortunately this is a rather niche piece of software for a niche market so it will never have millions of downloads with millions of daily users. I do believe it represents good value for its current price, and may not be viable with an ad supported model. If 10% of Pinside users downloaded it, and were using it every day, and were clicking on the ads every day, then maybe it might be worthwhile.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

+1 for Stern. If you're ready for Stern but just need game info, share how to help.

At this stage my main priority is to focus on the 8x8 matrices and try and fill up the database with more of them before changing some of the user interface to show the 4x16 and 8x10 matrices of modern Sterns. I will get around to it eventually!

#47 8 years ago

I bought the ap. I have used it several times and it works well. I can't wait for a larger data base. Keep up the good work.

#48 8 years ago

Any chance for whirlwind?
    Great app!

Axl

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Any chance for Whirlwind?
    Great app!
    Axl

Current plan is to finish up Data East System 3 next release, then work backwards through the Williams System 11s (C first, B then A). So should be in the next couple of months!

4 weeks later
    #50 8 years ago

New version (1.3) released!

What's new:
    - Minor graphical enhancements
    - Minor typo fixes
    - Added data for all Data East System 3 games - including Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Back to the Future, Batman, Checkpoint, Guns N’ Roses, Hook, Jurassic Park, Last Action Hero, Lethal Weapon 3, Star Trek, Tales From The Crypt, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, The Who’s Tommy Pinball Wizard, WWF Royal Rumble

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintrix-new-pinball-matrix-app and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.