(Topic ID: 133327)

Pintastic..Should we change anything or add anything?

By dannunz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pintastic_lunch.jpg
    clown.jpg
    p.txt.jpg
    20150710_121039.jpg
    2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png
    Mugged.jpg
    Staff_Vest.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

The band at the end of the show was kind of a waste. Most people were gone by that point. I heard some complaints from people folding up their games that the band was deafening. I don't think a band would be a good idea for the after party (I saw that idea pop up in another thread somewhere). It was a good time to chat with various folks, and a band would just make that hard to do.

What might have been better is a small, quieter band in the vendor area in a corner somewhere. Maybe some fiddlers or something. But either way, a band might not even be necessary or something folks would want since there is so much noise anyway (I saw someone in another thread measured 105db in the free play area, which is about the same loudness as a lawnmower).

Some signage for the sessions other than the show program. I think a lot of people didn't realize there were sessions going on. The only session that was completely packed was Roger Sharpe's session.

Announcements were difficult to hear because of the noise in the free play and vendor areas. The speakers either needed to be louder, or things maybe should have been repeated 2-3 times to allow people to find an area to clearly hear the announcement.

It might be a good idea for staff shirts to be in a different color or have a different design than the shirts being offered for sale. I almost walked up to a few attendees wearing the grey shirts thinking they were staff from a distance.

There were several times during Saturday where there were no staff members in the free play area. I typically had to wander out into the hall or further into the building to find someone with a staff shirt to address a free play issue.

Tying into that, there were a handful of "not for sale" games that had no contact number to call/text for problems. Could there be a designated staff number to call or text for problems if the owner does not wish to supply a contact number?

When a buyer for my game removed it early (I did try to convince him to leave it, but he insisted on removing it), nobody stopped to check if the early removal fee was paid. I ended up going to the registration desk later on my own to take care of it. It didn't seem like it was being actively enforced. I would think a pin *leaving* the free play area in the middle of the afternoon would be noticeable.

But, most of these are just minor adjustments. Overall, it was a fun show to attend

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Hello everyone now that Pintastic 2015 is in the books and we're looking forward to Pintastic 2016. What did you like and dislike about the show? What can we improve on? Should it be a 3 day show? Should the hours change? What other entertainment would you like to see?

I was all pinballed out after 2 show days, and Thursday setup. 3 days might be too much. However, shifting the show days to sat/sun might boost attendance. Like mentioned earlier, try sending out a survey for this and possible show dates to get some additional opinions. A market survey might also be worthwhile, if it can be done cheaply enough.

The show hours were perfect, IMHO. Although, I only stayed a couple hours for the after party. I was exhausted after being up since the crack of dawn.

How about massage chairs like the ones malls sometimes have? A big complaint everyone had was aching feet and aching backs.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

There was always staff members in the free play area on Saturday. The problem was, most of our staff wore their shirts on Thursday set up as well as all day Friday PLUS the after party. They were too dirty, sweaty amd smelly to wear for a third day. So they were in plain clothes or other Pintastic shirts. Not sure how to get around this short of giving out a new shirt to each volunteer each day. But admittedly, that gets adds up.
    Any ideas on another solution to this problem?

Were there on-site washers/driers in the hotel? Maybe write names on the shirt tags, then toss them in for a wash at a certain time of day.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think we are leaning towards cutting out the band. I would like to add some sort of entertainment to the after party. Maybe a DJ with karaoke? Any other ideas?

Honestly, I'm not sure additional entertainment is necessary. I was completely satisfied meeting people, chatting, grabbing a bite to eat, and playing pinball. That was plenty of entertainment for me.

The problem with any sort of music/band/DJ is that they are always way too loud and try to make themselves the main focus of an event, when they should be relegated to the background.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

We kind of did that this year to raise money for the after party. I'm surprised more people did not buy tickets. We raffled of over $3000 in prizes.

Raffles tend to be hit or miss.

99% of the time, I never win anything, so I tend not to bother. It's kind of like putting money into a claw game machine. But I did put a few bucks in this time since I saw the bins weren't stuffed with tickets. However, it seemed like the same 4 people won almost everything since they bought a couple arm lengths of tickets, so I probably won't bother next year if there's a raffle. *shrugs* While it might sound fair to limit the number of tickets someone can put in a bin or the number prizes someone can get, it's also not fair as a fund raiser to turn someone away if they are willing to put money in. I don't really see a good way to achieve balance.

Either way, there was some nice stuff available, which is why I broke my usual rule of not bothering with a raffle and bought a few tickets.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

I did notice that. My rule of thumb is once you win one prize you should be done. Let someone else win. In fact I won multiple raffle/door prizes but only took one. If you win multiple and want the better prize then give the lesser prize back. Just my 2 cents..

Thanks for letting other people have a chance

It seems like some people are just prize magnets

Can't believe you pulled your own name the one time, though--that was hilarious

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

I knew about the $35 early pull fee, but only because I had machines in Free Play and read the rules. I did not see general public rules stating so on the wall. Maybe a bigger poster? That way the buyer knows. FWIW, another collector who had free play told me it was 'at end of show' which I knew was wrong.

It was posted on a sign next to the doors of the free play area which had a giant wall of text on it, so I'm not sure how many people actually read it.

2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Gabe...maybe you should consider doing the show sometime late September. Early fall in NE is a beautiful time. You stay away from summer vacations and you're still a few weeks away from Expo. Should still be warm enough to do the outside stuff.

The problem then is that schools and colleges are in session.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Also agree that Sunday might be a mistake. Although the general public might like to come on Sunday, the people bringing pins from all around the area will want to leave earlier than Sunday night. I think that's why most pin shows end on Saturday.

I've been chewing on this idea for a couple days, and I think I agree--I did like having Sunday to take my time recovering from the show and making the drive back. Just to avoid taking Monday off from work, I probably would leave early on Sunday, as I'm sure a number of folks would too. As much as I would like to see a full weekend event, I'm guessing the free play floor would be half empty by noon.

Quoted from docquest:

Although the arcade trailer was really cool (I played a bit of the Batman driving game myself) I don't think it was worth the money. It had a dozen or so games to play for free but in the free play hall we had hundreds of machines on free play.

Now that you mention it, every time I went outside, it didn't look like anyone was ever actually in that thing. It was an interesting addition, but I'm not sure how much it actually got used. I did see plenty of kids crawling all over the rides and whatnot on Saturday, though.

Quoted from docquest:

Based on my kids and their friends, I think most kids seem to like video games more than pinball. Maybe you can try and encourage most guys from NEACF to bring video games to boost the number of free play video games there. Some of the other shows offer a room/area with a bunch of console games ranging from 2600 all the way to latest Xbox on free play too. I think that would be a big hit with kids. Maybe someone on NEACF who's into consoles would step up and offer to coordinate a consoles free play area?

Personally, I'm not sure I want to see a pinball show taken over by video games. Sure, there's a few vids that are near and dear to me, but I'd rather not see floor space lost and taken away from pins. Or, if collectors have both vids and pins and they can only have room to bring one or the other, I would rather see a pin.

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Would you guys keep your games in free play till late Saturday night and break down Sunday. There for stay at the hotel Saturday night as well?

I ended up staying and leaving Sunday simply because I didn't want to have to drive back late at night, especially after being on my feet all day. However, I'm sure some folks would be deterred by the cost of the hotel, especially with lacking amenities. I might rethink staying for 3 nights next year and instead maybe skip Thursday--it wasn't cheap. But, this was basically my big vacation for the year, so I dunno.

#131 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

August 26th and 27th are also available. Would this date work better? Labor Day is Sep. 5th

Quoted from ForceFlow:

A lot of colleges start in the last week of August. Sometimes freshman orientation starts a few days prior to the start of classes.
    The weekend prior to the start of classes, everybody is probably busy prepping for it.
    [edit]: It looks like some MA colleges I checked start slightly later on Sept 2nd.
    [edit]: NY colleges seem to start Aug 31st. CT colleges seem to start Aug 29th.

#162 8 years ago

I still think that holding it on Aug 25-28th would clash too much with going-back-to-school activities. Way back when I was in school, the weekend before school opened was always basically a "shop till you drop" weekend. I would not have had time (or money) for doing much else.

I agree with David...Thursday should stay as a set-up day. But, I understand that no money is actually coming in on that day either, so it's kind of a waste from a show revenue perspective.

Opening time at 3pm for the public seems kind of late. It sounds good for VIPs and setup, not so good for public attendance. Maybe a slightly earlier public opening time?

Thumbs up for Saturday

Even though Sunday is early closing, I would still probably like to leave right after lunch to leave enough time to drive back and unpack. Would you still hit folks with an early removal fee who want to take their games out early on Sunday? Or would Sunday be a no-fee day?

On an unrelated note, I had another idea pop into my head. When setting up the free play room, I think it might be better to put most of the A-list games further inside of the room, rather than all clustered in the first row near the entrance. At several points during the weekend, it was a little difficult to get past or through that first row, since a lot of people seemed to congregate in that area. There might be better flow into and out of the room if the more popular games were further inside.

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Why do all the other major shows except Allentown have there shows on Sunday also?

York is Friday/Saturday. Kalamazoo and Cleveland are Thursday-Saturday.

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

The kids? I keep seeing plenty of pinhead adults posting pictures of themselves with the clowns.
    Then I found Jim (Sanctum / tournament area) discussing if they get their faces painted like KISS who should be who.

lol, see? Fun for all ages.

#223 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic 2016 is proud to announce the Beelzeboob dunk tank for charity!

I misread that as "drunk tank". Either would work, I suppose.

#251 8 years ago

Getting back an earlier suggestion about posting signage for the show schedule, here's some signs at replayFX as an example:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstar-americas-most-haunted-charity-raffle-2-now-open#post-2590128

#255 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Yes we will be doing a bunch more sinage this year. By the way those signs cost over $500 each with the stands. Baby steps....

Yikes

Well, if you have spare TVs or LCD monitors, you could hook up a computer running PowerPoint or LibreOffice Impress and end up with digital signage...

#272 8 years ago

I wasn't impressed.

I've stayed at much nicer $65/night hotels than this one. Sure, the lobby is impressive, but the rooms weren't great.

No fridge, no microwave, and the TV was a small CRT from the 90s. The mini living room space was nice, but useless for me since I wasn't entertaining in the room.

The sheets appeared to be clean. No bedbugs or mold. However, there were some stains on the walls, the patio was in desperate need of paint, and the windows were filthy.

I thought I saw a critter skittering around on the floor, but I only caught it in my peripheral vision. A couple of other folks said similar things.

The lock for sliding glass door in my room was busted, and was only being secured by a thin metal rod that could be dislodged by knocking on the glass.

The shower didn't drain very well.

Normally, I don't like paying more than $80/night, but I figured $100/night would be worth the convenience of being on-site and not having to try to find a parking spot every day. But, I might re-think that for next year since the room I had wasn't great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintasticshould-we-change-anything-or-add-anything?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.