(Topic ID: 133327)

Pintastic..Should we change anything or add anything?

By dannunz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pintastic_lunch.jpg
    clown.jpg
    p.txt.jpg
    20150710_121039.jpg
    2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png
    Mugged.jpg
    Staff_Vest.png
    There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 8 years ago

Brought the dog (see my avatar), and she loved it...especially the walks by the lake. I just wish some other people would clean up after their dogs. It was like a frigging mine field whenever you walked on grass.

#302 8 years ago

I'm not worried about a fee I'm worried about my dog. I just want to be able to check on her every few hours and have a place to walk her.

The drive is 1.5 hours each way. Close enough to do a good afternoon but too far to do two days in a row and stay long enough for a tournament. And if I was only staying an afternoon I was not bringing free play game(s).

This is a game changer for me.

#303 8 years ago
    Quoted from DarkTruth:

If your goal is to grow it, then I would suggest making it an arcade convention. Maybe reach out to the video sites and get them to bring their games.
    I saw kids constantly on the couple cabinets that were there. The 80s thing seems hot right now.
    Being my first pin show, I thought it was well run and huge.
    Just a thought.

We will be expanding the FREE play areas into the halls and 2 different rooms. Arcade games will be welcome next year. We will top them out at around 40 or 50.

#304 8 years ago
    Quoted from DarkTruth:

If your goal is to grow it, then I would suggest making it an arcade convention. Maybe reach out to the video sites and get them to bring their games.
    I saw kids constantly on the couple cabinets that were there. The 80s thing seems hot right now.
    Being my first pin show, I thought it was well run and huge.
    Just a thought.

We will be expanding the FREE play areas into the halls and 2 different rooms. Arcade games will be welcome next year. We will top them out at around 40 or 50.

Quoted from Fixie:A few observations from an attendee :
    Rooms/Hotel : clean, but dated. The whole place , in general , could use a facelift. Could use a coat of paint and new carpet pretty much everywhere. That said, the location is great. No matter what direction you came from, major highways led you right to there. Pet friendly was a big plus for us.
    The Show: this was my first so I can't compare it to any other , but I had a great time. My wife has little interest in pinball and planned on doing the Sturbridge tourist thing. She came in to check things out Friday morning and never left. I never expected that , so that in itself is a testimate to how well it was planned for both the avid hobbyist and the casual viewer. She's always supported my hobby but I think she came away supporting it even more. She's said she wants to come back with me next year.
    Vendor Area: lots going on here. Pros:
    Cointaker's display: great to see their large variety lit up in person versus their web pictures. I spent an extra $100 I hadn't planned on due to their display. Got a great show discount, too.
    Alan Davidson's booth:
    On site board repair and three outstanding pins to play.
    Pinnovator's:
    After my wife played their pin with headphones on, she was sold. (I was buying one, anyway. Lol)
    Again, got another great discount and a couple of extras thrown in too. Thanks, Lorenzo !
    New products:
    Almost all the new pins and products I've been hearing about were there. Great to see them in person and up close. Yahoo.
    Cons:
    Automated Services on Friday:
    Stepped up to play all the new pins and none of them had any credits or were set to free play. Was told they didn't want to use them because they were going to be sold to someone someday. Then why bring them ? I heard that policy was changed on Saturday. Exception on Friday was JJP's WOZ and The Hobbitt. Got to play them. Jersey Jack himself was there to answer any questions. Amazing pins. The wife fell in love with WOZ. Jack's theory that women and kids would go for that title appears to be right on target.
    The Game Room:
    Great selection of pins both EM and SS. Got to play a lot of titles I've only read about. Some of them , sadly, were down, and some , like old Gottlieb Wedge Heads, seemed to not have credits on them if they didn't have a free play option. But you could always find something to play.
    The After Party: What a great touch ! Met some old friends and some new ones too. Was really nice to shake hands with people I only knew through on line communication. We stayed up late for that one !
    The Band: I was gone by the time they started playing but IMO , after a long weekend , if I was breaking down my stuff, I don't know if I would go for that. Reports here say they were pretty loud. Now, if they were in the game room or at the after party the night before, that would be a different story. That's when people wanted to party, not at breakdown time.
    Kid Stuff : I'm well past the kid raising stage , but from what I could see , the kids had a great time. Face painting , clowns, rides, balloons , etc. . If you have kids then it's your job to raise them and spend quality time with them while they're growing up. This show allowed a pin junkie to have his cake and eat it too. I don't know if the outside attractions were worth the bang for the buck because I didn't monitor their use, but the inside ones definetly were.
    Show Dates: they worked fine for me. I guess the defining question would be , Were you happy with the turnout for your first show ? If so, then I'd say leave the dates the same. Now that the word is out on what a good show it was , then I would think for the most part that those that made it this year will return on the same dates next year. Those that didn't make it and regret it will circle their calendars and make a greater effort to get there next year. Don't go making big wholesale changes to your show , just tweak it here and there so that each year is better than the year before. As it grows, you'll get more vendors, flea marketers, pins, and as a result , attendance.
    I offer no expertise here other than I'm a guy that likes pinball , heard about your show, and decided to attend. And as John Q. Public , these were just my opinions. I'll let others that are better qualified than me suggest on what to change I'm looking forward to next year and will book my room again as soon as the dates are finalized.
    "Well done !" To all that made Pintastic what it was.........a great time.

Great review and you make a lot of good points. We will be talking about the dates and tweeks this wed. night at the Sanctum. All are welcome and we can talk it out. Thanks

#305 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

This was a pet friendly hotel? I just came for a day trip on Friday because I could not leave me dog. I need to confirm this and maybe I'll spend the weekend and party.

Yes this is a pet friendly hotel. Only a hand full of rooms are pet friendly so book early.

#306 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Great review and you make a lot of good points. We will be talking about the dates and tweeks this wed. night at the Sanctum. All are welcome and we can talk it out. Thanks

Tell Mark I said hello. I had the (dis)pleasure of having my ass kicked by him at Pinburgh on Friday.

#307 8 years ago

Any chance of romancing pinsound to come to pintastic?
    (Their sound boards/product are amazing)

#308 8 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Already working it. They want to come in 2016. But by all means email them asking!

I told them I would put my GNR with their board in the game into their booth.

#309 8 years ago

Never say never. I tried to get them but they couldn't make it this year. I'm sure if they hear a lot of people asking they will try and make it

#310 8 years ago

Very cool then!

I just put their board in my GNR today, I'm blown away. Working on chopping songs to add better songs to different modes. Almost can't believe it's possible.
    I think a ton of people would buy their boards at the show.

#311 8 years ago

Very cool then!
    I just put their board in my GNR today, I'm blown away. Working on chopping songs to add better songs to different modes. Almost can't believe it's possible.

I talked to them when I was in Texas so they know me. I will work on them. More emails they get about Pintastic the better it looks to them.

#312 8 years ago

Very cool then!

Post a video of it. I really love that thing. I really want to see a HS2 using that.

#313 8 years ago

Stay tuned for a full re vamping of our web site. We have a pro designing the whole thing from the ground up. I'm very excited about it! More to come soon.

#314 8 years ago

You should find a graphic designer to help with the logo and shirts/posters. A slick, professional look goes a long way.

Quoted from dannunz:

Stay tuned for a full re vamping of our web site. We have a pro designing the whole thing from the ground up. I'm very excited about it! More to come soon.

#315 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

You should find a graphic designer to help with the logo and shirts/posters. A slick, professional look goes a long way.

Our new web designer has a ton of resources at his fingertips. Which include very high end artists and graphic designers.

#316 8 years ago

Were trying to pick a date and the best one so far falls on The same date as Templecon. On their web site is states they have a video gaming area. Thoughts?

#317 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

By all means do that !
    Then my T-shirt from from Pintastic I will become a one of a kind instant classic. It'll say, "I was there !"
    Lol

#318 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Were trying to pick a date and the best one so far falls on The same date as Templecon. On their web site is states they have a video gaming area. Thoughts?

"Each year the convention hosts an ever-expanding arcade of fully restored classic arcade game cabinets ranging throughout the 1980's and into the early 1990's, covering both the gold and silver age of arcade gaming."

It's not the same audience. Plus a tabletop gaming focused con is not going to draw the casuals like a "Gaming Room Expo".
    And it's at The Crown Plaza in Warwick, RI which is roughly a 5 minute drive from my house. There's nothing else to do at that location. Any restaurant or "something else to do" is a 5-25 minute drive.
    I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

#319 8 years ago

I'm quite surprised really that no one has mentioned this yet...

...FREE BEER!!

2 weeks later
    #320 8 years ago

Pintastic 2016 date is still not set. Their are also conflicts with the August date that we have to take into account. One being my twin girls will be starting college next year and that is a huge deal for my family.

As soon as we set a date I will announce it here. Thanks

#321 8 years ago

I hope we stay with the same hotel. So nice to have a room down the hall from all the action!

#322 8 years ago

^^ Ditto

#323 8 years ago

The venue will stay the same for 2016. The date may also stay the same. We will know soon.

#324 8 years ago

Should we keep the free play room open till 1am on Saturday night if the hotel will let us break down the free play room on Sunday morning till noon time?

#326 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Should we keep the free play room open till 1am on Saturday night if the hotel will let us break down the free play room on Sunday morning till noon time?

That will add a lot of value to the people staying over and/or live close by.

#327 8 years ago

Would people who brought games keep them their till close? Than Pack up in the morning?

#328 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Would people who brought games keep them their till close? Than Pack up in the morning?

I would be down for that.

#329 8 years ago

My WOZ was next to the Hobbit, & was on free play both days. The set up day it went down, after hours of play. I was looking into it along with Jack & staff.

#330 8 years ago

I like the free beer idea, in fact let's give them out from the pintastic booth.

#331 8 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

I like the free beer idea, in fact let's give them out from the pintastic booth.

Free beer to anyone who brings more than 10 games to free play! Wait if I do that than they will be to drunk to fix their own games when they go down.

7 months later
    #332 8 years ago

So many great ideas in this thread that we have implemented into this years show. Thank you everyone!

#333 8 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

the 60 and 1 I brought was played every second I was at the show - so if it makes a positive experience for kids why not have them - I bet why some parent was playing a pinball he knew his kid was playing pac man over at the 60 and 1 - so he didn't have to worry about him.
    thanks ed

We have added a 40 game video game area.

#334 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I have several suggestions that I believe may enhance the incredible job that Gabe and Derek did organizing and managing the show this year.
    Specifically, my first suggestion is:
    1. It may be beneficial to name all of the roles that require staffing by volunteers (e.g. ticket office, door monitors for vendor hall, door monitors for back doors, door monitors for free play area, repair volunteers, helping vendors setup, roaming floor monitors in free play area and vendor hall, etc.)
    2. The list of roles should include the number of volunteers required for each role.
    3. Volunteer management should also be a role to ensure shifts are covered, and volunteers understand their roles and expectations.
    4. The volunteer schedule should be posted on the web site and allow volunteers to sign up for a role / shift combination.
    I believe this will ensure the appropriate staffing levels are maintained, volunteers have a good understanding of their roles, and eliminates the need for Derek and Gabe to continually manage the volunteers so that they can spend more time focusing on resolving issues that may occur for guests and vendors.
    Although it was a nice gesture to have a band on Saturday night - money spent on entertainment on the last day may be better spent on ways to promote the show and increase attendance.
    I have to agree that the air could definitely have been cooler in the event.
    The breakdown time on Saturday was perfect for me - I had to work on Monday - and I needed the time on Sunday to unload, rest a bit and prepare for the week. Even if the show were extended - I would not be able to stay on Saturday evening. I really like the idea of adding a Thursday evening "special preview" only for VIPs. This will definitely provide significant value to VIP holders and encourage sales.
    Perhaps a map of the event should be part of the program. I didn't know where the seminars were being held until Saturday. Several people asked me "is this it" after walking through the vendor area. I would also suggest much more signage be put up to direct people to what they are looking for.
    The duration of the show seemed perfect to me as is. Increasing the duration of the show risks increasing the cost with an unknown outcome. I know that you will do so - but it may be beneficial to seek the guidance of those who operate similar shows.
    I have a few other ideas - and will post later.

Most of these things have been implemented.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintasticshould-we-change-anything-or-add-anything/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.