(Topic ID: 133327)

Pintastic..Should we change anything or add anything?

By dannunz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pintastic_lunch.jpg
    clown.jpg
    p.txt.jpg
    20150710_121039.jpg
    2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png
    Mugged.jpg
    Staff_Vest.png
    There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 8 years ago

I may be in the minority but I love the idea of a band after the Saturday show. I enjoyed playing some pinball with a band in the background.

I hate to say it, but I agree on the name change.

A lot of benefits I've been to in the last few years have done the raffles silently. They still pull the numbers, and you can watch, but they post the winners on a markerboard. Hearing people call out raffle numbers is awful, especially for multiple items. I've been the guy on stage calling the numbers too, it's brutal for everyone.

Looking forward to next year!

#152 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

August 26th and 27th are also available. Would this date work better? Labor Day is Sep. 5th

Any feedback on this date please. This would work for everyone. It's the last weekend before local kids go back to school. Thoughts?

#153 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Any feedback on this date please. This would work for everyone. It's the last weekend before local kids go back to school. Thoughts?

I actually prefer the July dates as there are in the middle of summer and it's an easier time to plan around.

#154 8 years ago

Most dates in August that are not ReplayFX (or whatever will be taking place in Pittsburgh next year) are likely to be good for me.
    .................David Marston

#155 8 years ago

Gabe,

I'm also thinking back on a statement some one made about intro to pinball seminars...

If you are targeting families and in some case first time buyers;
    o Let folks know advance, and advertise that local shipping will be available for reasonable charges (a bulletin board?)
    o Let local repair folks have a way to hand out cards (bulletin board?)
    o Have basic seminars like (along with the advanced ones you had for us pinheads), and run the simple ones a few times:
    ......Pinball repair for the first timer.
    ......Yes my pinball will break.
    ......How to assemble/disassemble and transport a pin.
    ......How to change a minor part.
    o Let folks know that a lot of the machines ARE for sale (as opposed to finding out once they get there).

Any weekend you pick will run into a conflict (isn't Aug 26 and 27 the annual Cobbler convention in Worcester? , just go for the one with the least impact.

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I will work on a complete analysis for you Gabe.
    One hard thing to consider... a name edit or revision.
    "Pintastic New England" means nothing to the average consumer living in Boston.

Excellent post - I thought the same thing - I believe that there were many potential attendees that didn't know what Pintastic was and so didn't attend.

#157 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

You can also PM ideas to me; I'm keeping a list.
    Things were a little better than they appeared. Specifically,
    1 was done, and the roles were prioritized.

<MIKE> - - I never saw the list - but that may have been by design

2 was started in the planning stages, but not executed.

<MIKE> - - Understandable considering it was the first year and one had no reference - should be easier next year if you keep the same venue.

3A was identified as a role, but not separately staffed.

<MIKE> - - Staffing this role with someone is a must for next year. It will definitely aid communication.

3B was done, but hastily. Each volunteer got a handout. We didn't have any meetings of volunteers.

<MIKE> - - I never recall receiving or reading a handout - so I probably did stupid things that pissed people off? (Seriously guys - my stupidity was not intentional!) I love your idea of a volunteer meeting - maybe schedule one for each morning of the show?

4 was not done. I don't know where the list of volunteers was maintained; I saw it on paper.

<MIKE> - - The thought I had is that when the roles are plugged into a visual schedule, and people understand the expectations of each role and are allowed to choose the role and shift they are volunteering for - organizers are much more likely to get the expected results. (Full staffing of roles on every shift with well-informed volunteers)

9 was something I asked Derek to do while he was composing the program book.

<MIKE> - - Yeah - Derek sucks and should be banned from attending future events!

10 is an ongoing issue, but at least we had a master list of signs prepared in advance. Then we thought up more signs that were needed as the weekend was underway. BTW, Pinball Expo needed about 28 years to settle on a really comprehensive schedule of all signs needed, which shows that this supposed "minor detail" is hard to get right. As coordinator of the seminar program, I feel that signage specifically for the seminars needs to be better.

Please read my comments in the quote above prefixed with <MIKE> --

Again, being the first year at this venue - it is difficult to think of every eventuality. This show was incredibly well run and thought out. The idea to setup a public address system was really critical. Someone mentioned this previously - but the speaker in the free play area often cut out during announcements - and there should probably be speakers setup at both ends of the room due to the noise.

All in all - a very successful event.

In my day Job I run the IT project management office for a large Health Care system in NY managing projects with multi-million dollar budgets.

I strongly suggest Gabe and Derek create a comprehensive project plan that can be used to manage the event next year - NOW - while the event is still fresh in everyone's minds. This can be easily accomplished in a couple of simple steps:

1. Schedule a preliminary Webex online teleconference call (work session) with a small core group of people. Try to keep it VERY small - Obviously that would include Gabe and Derek - and anyone else who worked on the event prior to the first day of setup (Thursday). This group will create the initial project plan to be used as a basis of discussion in a second Webex call.

2. A second WebEx teleconference (work session) will then be scheduled to include a broader group of volunteers with the goal of reviewing the preliminary plan and updating / adding / changing & improving the plan based on feedback from the team.

The output of this exercise produces a comprehensive plan that includes a detailed breakdown of each work tasks to be performed, the dates when each task should start and finish, and who is responsible for each.

This plan can be used as a checklist for the event organizers to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks. It will be updated each year and will help build on the knowledge of lessons learned from prior years events.

Another benefit of this approach is that an event budget can be created and then managed against the items that need to be executed in the project plan. If the plan changes - the costs and benefits can be clearly understood and evaluated to determine if they are worthwhile. Most important - these details can ensure that the event remains on budget, on schedule, and on scope.

If Gabe and Derek see value in this approach - let me know and I'm happy to help facilitate the process.

Thanks,
    Mike

#158 8 years ago

Hello everyone we are in the processes of firming up a date for the 2016 Pintastic New England Pinball and game room Expo!
    July is a crazy month with the 4th and California Extreme as well as the Brimfield fair. I think all these things hurt our attendance this year a bit. So we are looking to get away form all that.
    These dates are the only ones that are open at the hotel this summer (that have all the rooms we need available.). Hours may be similar to Texas but not sure yet.

August 25th Thurs.
    August 26th Friday
    August 27th Sat.
    August 28th Sun.

Reason we are thinking of also doing Sunday is to get more of the local community into the show. But close at 3pm and still have plenty of time for break down and travel. Please give me the pros and cons as well as times that would work best. I am thinking....ROUGH TIMES

Thursday set up 4pm to 10pm VIP PIT PASS

Friday set up in the morning VIP PIT PASS show open to public 3pm to 1am

Saturday 10am to 9pm General adm. after party 9pm to 1am
    VIP...STAFF...VENDORS...SPONSORS...HOTEL GUESTS...FREE PLAY

Sunday 9am to 3pm

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

...Reason we are thinking of also doing Sunday is to get more of the local community into the show. But close at 3pm and still have plenty of time for break down and travel. Please give me the pros and cons as well as times that would work best. I am thinking....ROUGH TIMES
    Sunday 9am to 3pm

I think the Friday mid-afternoon opening discourages people from setting up on Thursday. I also wonder how the seminar program would fit into this. (Let's say for purposes of this thread that how-to-play is a seminar, or two.) Can't we assume that the devoted pinball people will be there for the whole day Friday, and establish a time in the late morning when everything is supposed to be set up? In other words, the VIP pass is not merely about being there during setup time, but also gets the person in earlier for both a free-play area and vendor hall that is fully set up.

In 2015, people who brought games for the free play area got in earlier than VIPs. That increased the incentive to bring games. Perhaps VIPs could get in early on Friday, but leave Thursday as a pure setup day.

Seminars should only be running during times when the general public can attend them. Still, I would like to continue the guideline that Friday daytime seminars are the ones most likely to appeal only to devoted pinball people. I'm skeptical about Sunday seminars but not completely opposed.

I think keeping the free play area open Friday night until 1:00 AM Saturday is a winner. The vendor hall would need to close at a reasonable hour, though, like 9:00 PM. We need to consider the impact on hours for the tournament qualifying play.

The outdoor flea market hours would be dawn to dusk Friday and Saturday, and dawn to 3:00 PM Sunday. (Actual hours of each flea market vendor is whenever their truck is open.)

#160 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Hello everyone we are in the processes of firming up a date for the 2016 Pintastic New England Pinball and game room Expo!
    July is a crazy month with the 4th and California Extreme as well as the Brimfield fair. I think all these things hurt our attendance this year a bit. So we are looking to get away form all that.
    These dates are the only ones that are open at the hotel this summer (that have all the rooms we need available.). Hours may be similar to Texas but not sure yet.
    August 25th Thurs.
    August 26th Friday
    August 27th Sat.
    August 28th Sun.
    Reason we are thinking of also doing Sunday is to get more of the local community into the show. But close at 3pm and still have plenty of time for break down and travel. Please give me the pros and cons as well as times that would work best. I am thinking....ROUGH TIMES
    Sunday 9am to 3pm

Looking much better already!!

#161 8 years ago

Wow...totally blows it for me end of august= back to school spending instead of hobby stuff for me. Plus, wife's birthday weekend=no show for me

#162 8 years ago

I still think that holding it on Aug 25-28th would clash too much with going-back-to-school activities. Way back when I was in school, the weekend before school opened was always basically a "shop till you drop" weekend. I would not have had time (or money) for doing much else.

I agree with David...Thursday should stay as a set-up day. But, I understand that no money is actually coming in on that day either, so it's kind of a waste from a show revenue perspective.

Opening time at 3pm for the public seems kind of late. It sounds good for VIPs and setup, not so good for public attendance. Maybe a slightly earlier public opening time?

Thumbs up for Saturday

Even though Sunday is early closing, I would still probably like to leave right after lunch to leave enough time to drive back and unpack. Would you still hit folks with an early removal fee who want to take their games out early on Sunday? Or would Sunday be a no-fee day?

On an unrelated note, I had another idea pop into my head. When setting up the free play room, I think it might be better to put most of the A-list games further inside of the room, rather than all clustered in the first row near the entrance. At several points during the weekend, it was a little difficult to get past or through that first row, since a lot of people seemed to congregate in that area. There might be better flow into and out of the room if the more popular games were further inside.

#163 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Wow...totally blows it for me end of august= back to school spending instead of hobby stuff for me. Plus, wife's birthday weekend=no show for me

I really don't like the dates either. All the hotel has available are the one weekend in July and this one. September is a possibility still working on that also.

#164 8 years ago

I like the Thurs setup until Sat. evening, I need that Sunday to get home and relax a bit. If you want to draw from a distance, I would bet a lot of us with a 5+ hr drive would pull our pins Sat. night. One more night for hotel cost's and food, beer and another missed day of work can be a bit painful, but that's just my opinion

#165 8 years ago

I still prefer the July dates over Aug but I'll be there no matter what.

Quoted from 80spit:

I like the Thurs setup until Sat. evening, ... One more night for hotel cost's and food, beer and another missed day of work can be a bit painful, but that's just my opinion

I'd also more than likely have to leave on Sunday for the aforementioned costs (not so much for work).
    Plus I want to spend some non-pinball time with the family (aka keeping the Mrs happy). Like going to Sturbridge Village and other touristy stuff while I'm there. I can't be the only guy in that situation.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

#166 8 years ago

These dates and times are not final yet. We are trying to find what works.

#167 8 years ago

"How to assemble/disassemble and transport a pin."

I volunteer to do this one. I'm good at it. Since pintastic I've moved 20ish games lol

#168 8 years ago

What kind of insentive can we offer for people to leave there games in free play till the end of the show on Sunday?

#169 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

What kind of insentive can we offer for people to leave there games in free play till the end of the show on Sunday?

Just my opinion... I really don't like the idea of going into Sunday. People will be coming from all over, especially after what a success the show was this year. So it is best to leave that day for travelling home and resting on the couch before the work week starts. I don't know about anyone else, but my dogs were barking by the end of the show Saturday.

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Just my opinion... I really don't like the idea of going into Sunday. People will be coming from all over, especially after what a success the show was this year. So it is best to leave that day for travelling home and resting on the couch before the work week starts. I don't know about anyone else, but my dogs were barking by the end of the show Saturday.

Why do all the other major shows except Allentown have there shows on Sunday also?

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Why do all the other major shows except Allentown have there shows on Sunday also?

York is Friday/Saturday. Kalamazoo and Cleveland are Thursday-Saturday.

#172 8 years ago

I think youll find pros and cons to Thursday setup, and Sunday Tear Down after 3.

I personally enjoy the full weekend, knowing that those that need to arrive Friday to set up have the option
    to come Thursday or Friday Morning.

Friday opening at 2 or 3 pm...even 4 pm in the afternoon, but some other shows go to 10 or 11 on Friday, making it a full day.
    (this also helps many as they dont have to buy a Thursday night Room)
    Same on Saturday, many stay to open till 11, with VIP party from 11 to 1 AM.

Sunday goes to 3 or 4 pm.

Now, that does cause some issues, of course, but the alternative, is people pulling pins from the floor at 9 pm Saturday, to get home before its too "late" kinda making a show feel short on time, for those coming without a game.
    People traveling under 2 hours, can do a Sunday, people flying in or driving in without a game feel shorted Saturday, but those bringing pins a greater distance are not too happy about a Sunday afternoon leave.

This balance will never make everyone happy, and this feedback, anticipated balance sheet, and game incentive to bring are the tough juggle.

Personally, I cant imagine being at a show all day, packing and driving home on a late Saturday night...but thats my old eyes.

I dont think youll find a consensus to this answer, Gabe, but fielding all the info you can, hopefully will give you your answer.

Other then free admission for bringing a game, you can add quantity levels for other perks....Dinner Discount coupons.....usually dont cost.
    Free dinner over 5 games, free room over 7, etc....or any combo.

I dont know what people like best, or how to weigh the answers, as both sides will be vocalized.

#173 8 years ago

I do know one thing we have to get the general public in their on Saturday and Sunday to turn a good profit. That is why these big shows open on Sunday.

#174 8 years ago

Based on past work experience at a College, yeah, late August probably is not the best choice, particularly the last weekend. Personally I had no problem with the July time frame but I'm pretty flexible. Same thing with Sunday - I might or might not stay but I bet it would increase attendance for the general public.

#175 8 years ago

If the hotel doesn't have the dates perhaps you should consider a different venue. I found that most of the media outlets did not want to send folks out b/c of the location-it's not in their market. If you move it closer to the two bigger media markets Springfield or Boston you will get a better reception from the media. The only outlet that really covers the Sturbridge area is Hartford.

Not to mention the lack of food and beverages were beyond disappointing. Moving the venue to somewhere that will allow outside food and beverage vendors opens up a world of new traffic. I know I am coming at this as part of the younger generation, but this is also the generation that seems to be the fastest growing in terms of the pin hobby. We like our food and beer. Craft beer and food trucks are a huge growing market and there is a ton of overlap between their demo and yours.

IMO/my perspective the venue was a huge achilles heel in terms of limiting your potential.

+1 on the name change. I would also shy away from "expo" and use show or something similar. A lot of folks were confused by "expo" and thought it was an industry show.

#176 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

If the hotel doesn't have the dates perhaps you should consider a different venue. I found that most of the media outlets did not want to send folks out b/c of the location-it's not in their market. If you move it closer to the two bigger media markets Springfield or Boston you will get a better reception from the media. The only outlet that really covers the Sturbridge area is Hartford.
    Not to mention the lack of food and beverages were beyond disappointing. Moving the venue to somewhere that will allow outside food and beverage vendors opens up a world of new traffic. I know I am coming at this as part of the younger generation, but this is also the generation that seems to be the fastest growing in terms of the pin hobby. We like our food and beer. Craft beer and food trucks are a huge growing market and there is a ton of overlap between their demo and yours.
    IMO/my perspective the venue was a huge achilles heel in terms of limiting your potential.
    +1 on the name change. I would also shy away from "expo" and use show or something similar. A lot of folks were confused by "expo" and thought it was an industry show.

Problem is the hotel needs to make money as well. Any hotel is not going to give up the food and beverage. That's just a fact we need to live with. If we had the show in the Boston area we would have lost our shirts for sure. Maybe in 5 years we could consider the move but not now.

As far as the venue most everyone loved the venue. You are the first one to complain about the venue. Actually we have gotten tons of people who love the venue. Pintastic will be in Sturbridge for many years not just because of the hotel but because of the great support from the town of Sturbridge.

#177 8 years ago

There is loving the venue as an attendee and loving the venue for what it can provide for/to your business. Like I said IMO/from my perspective that location seriously inhibits your growth potential and overall potential. The location limits your media exposure as many of the outlets don't want to cover it as it is not in their market. Moving closer to the two big outlets Springfield or Boston will gain you more media coverage <- not that that is necessarily needed. Again this is just my opinion.

Again, food trucks and craft beer are huge right now. Two of the biggest growing markets with a ton of demo overlap. Look at the crowds these festivals draw. Singing at a venue that won't allow that seriously limits a ton of growth potential. If you want to stay there I would seriously negotiate allowing outside vendors. That is not a term that you have to live with. They barely had any offerings, don't let them handcuff you like that.

You guys are going to outgrow that space. It is better to move the event in the beginning then later on down the road.

#178 8 years ago

I liked the venue; with Sturbridge Village and good restaurants around it was a nice family destination. I wouldn't mess too much with a good thing.

It's tough to come up with a good name change without it getting too lengthy. Maybe "Pintastic! Pinball, Arcade and Game Room Festival" "Pintastic New England: Coin-Op Gaming Festival? Does New England even need to be in the title? Now that it's established there's a pinball show in New England, it might not be necessary.

Not sure how I feel about the proposed hours. It's tough juggling practicality and profit. In a perfect world a 3 day show with late hours every day would be great! But closing early one day would make it easier on those who brought games to still have a weekend left. I would say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery; do what the other successful guys are doing.

I can't think of much else incentive for people to bring and leave games. Maybe some exclusive raffle for games that remain in free-play the entire duration of the show. The staff could tag the games on Day 1, and on the last day at closing, collect the tags and use them in a raffle?

Thanks,
    -Doug

#179 8 years ago

Location was awesome! Plenty to do for all.
    There's a freaking ginormous liquor store across the parking lot. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1083/
    Not sure how much more readily available booze is needed.
    There was one pretty good restaurant on the way to said liquor store (Ox Tavern) and plenty more within a short walk/drive.

#180 8 years ago

It's never a good thing to have to have your attendees leave the premise to go out and get food and drink-a good portion may not come back. It's nice to be able to accommodate your patrons from within your event. People will want to eat at an all day event-it may be nice to have something to offer instead of wilted salads and bud. If they are looking to increase attendance and grow, you may want to look at other attractions that will help to obtain that goal. I brought up one example as there was a ton of crossover between the demos. There are many others.

Again your needs as an attendee were met by this venue, chances are they can be met at a multitude of venues. The question is does this venue allow the guys to accomplish the business goals they have in mind-more media attention, more visitors, etc. Only they can answer that. I gave my opinion.

I think threads like this can definitely lead a owner etc astray as they are just an echo chamber of "good job". While it's important to get feedback, they need to be asking folks they that didn't come why they didn't come and what can they do to get them to come?

#181 8 years ago

Meanwhile...I want to reiterate the value it being obvious (to us stupid first show people, like me!) that "you buy it, we'll haul it (local)" service is present. I too did not know that option was available and did not come prepared to take a game home. And because of that, my beloved Gottlieb Neptune (production: 270) is now in somebody else's home instead. It sold after the show when it went back to an area storefront. So I had no Pintastic competition. I beat myself this time. BAH!

#182 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

It's never a good thing to have to have your attendees leave the premise to go out and get food and drink-a good portion may not come back. It's nice to be able to accommodate your patrons from within your event. People will want to eat at an all day event-it may be nice to have something to offer instead of wilted salads and bud. If they are looking to increase attendance and grow, you may want to look at other attractions that will help to obtain that goal. I brought up one example as there was a ton of crossover between the demos. There are many others.
    Again your needs as an attendee were met by this venue, chances are they can be met at a multitude of venues. The question is does this venue allow the guys to accomplish the business goals they have in mind-more media attention, more visitors, etc. Only they can answer that. I gave my opinion.
    I think threads like this can definitely lead a owner etc astray as they are just an echo chamber of "good job". While it's important to get feedback, they need to be asking folks they that didn't come why they didn't come and what can they do to get them to come?

Mellisa I apriciate your opinion and we will take it all into consideration. Their are things you don't see about why it is in our favor to have it at the host hotel. Location for key vendors....established sponsors....town of Sturbridge backing.....hotel relationship. The list goes on and on. We did a lot of research befor picking this venue.

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

...Not to mention the lack of food and beverages were beyond disappointing. Moving the venue to somewhere that will allow outside food and beverage vendors opens up a world of new traffic....Craft beer and food trucks are a huge growing market and there is a ton of overlap between their demo and yours.
    IMO/my perspective the venue was a huge achilles heel in terms of limiting your potential....

I think we have to take the whole neighborhood into consideration when talking about food. I heard people raving about the BBQ place, the Ox Tavern, Avellino's, and at least one of the two seafood places that were nearby. Even if the hotel made their food 4x better than it was, I'm still going to prefer to check out those other restaurants that I drove by to get there. We are already encouraging the non-pinball-playing family members to go outside the hotel grounds, and I think we can withstand the risks of some players not coming back as well. OTOH, if there were a way for food trucks to set up in the liquor store parking lot, that would partly address your concern without angering the hotel (I hope).

Someday, the show may grow to the point where it can occupy a civic center or similar large facility. I think in that case, Springfield would be the way to go, at least given the current national circuit of pinball shows. For now, I like the current venue. Of special note is the vast parking lot. The hotel has learned a few things about how big we are, and there is more we can show them. With more bargaining chips earned, more of what you wish for becomes possible.

#184 8 years ago

Plenty of truck/trailer parking and right off the exit was a major bonus.

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

I like the Thurs setup until Sat. evening, I need that Sunday to get home and relax a bit. If you want to draw from a distance, I would bet a lot of us with a 5+ hr drive would pull our pins Sat. night. One more night for hotel cost's and food, beer and another missed day of work can be a bit painful, but that's just my opinion

I agree - I've only got a 2.5 hour drive - but will likely leave on Saturday night to have time to unpack stuff and rest up a bit for work on Monday.

#186 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

These dates and times are not final yet. We are trying to find what works.

Glad it's not set yet - July dates are better for me too. It sounds like the majority of people are saying to nix the August dates in favor of July. I really liked the venue you picked - but if they are unable to cater to your needs - is there another venue nearby that might be available?

I really dislike the idea of opening the show late on Friday and pushing the show end on Sunday. Why do other shows follow a Thursday - Saturday night approach? My guess is that they have discovered you can't keep machines on the floor for Sunday.

I also agree Thursday should be focused on setup and VIP pit pass incentive.

Is there a financial reason to open late on Friday and try to do the show on Sunday? I believe you may end up having a hard time keeping pins on the floor for Sunday.

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Plenty of truck/trailer parking and right off the exit was a major bonus.

That is another thing the hotel is forcing us to do this year. We need to either rent the additional lot next door or find off site parking and shuttle people in. The parking lot was at capacity on Saturday and they started to panic. We did not go over but they are now worried. This is another cost we will need to figure out and we will also need to man the lot.

#188 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I agree - I've only got a 2.5 hour drive - but will likely leave on Saturday night to have time to unpack stuff and rest up a bit for work on Monday.

Why not stay late Saturday and have more fun. The show will end early on Sunday and you will still have time to unpack. Its only once a year!

#189 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

Glad it's not set yet - July dates are better for me too. It sounds like the majority of people are saying to nix the August dates in favor of July. I really liked the venue you picked - but if they are unable to cater to your needs - is there another venue nearby that might be available?
    I really dislike the idea of opening the show late on Friday and pushing the show end on Sunday. Why do other shows follow a Thursday - Saturday night approach? My guess is that they have discovered you can't keep machines on the floor for Sunday.
    I also agree Thursday should be focused on setup and VIP pit pass incentive.
    Is there a financial reason to open late on Friday and try to do the show on Sunday? I believe you may end up having a hard time keeping pins on the floor for Sunday.

We have the venue from Thursday to Sunday this year. Why not take advantage of it?

#190 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Why not stay late Saturday and have more fun. The show will end early on Sunday and you will still have time to unpack. Its only once a year!

Personally I did not pull into my driveway until Sunday evening at 5:30 We stayed over and took our time leaving Sunday morning, dropped a pin of to a fellow pinsider on the way home. We both stayed up at least until 1:30 Thurs thru Sat and my dogs were barking big time, Sunday is just to much. Hell yeah it was a great time, but another day of it would have killed me!
    We would still come up and bring a bunch of pins as long as we could pull out Sat evening

Wow, if parking was maxed out, what will happen when It grows, I thought the Freeplay area was pretty full, If this show grows next year, I don't believe the freeplay room could handle 250+ pins, a bigger venue might be a major consideration. shuttles are a pain and expensive.

#191 8 years ago

Actually there was a LOT of unused space in the lot IMHO. We were not packed in by any means and really just spread out. Had someone parked and/or sorted by size, there was plenty room.

#192 8 years ago
    Quoted from 80spit:

Personally I did not pull into my driveway until Sunday evening at 5:30 We stayed over and took our time leaving Sunday morning, dropped a pin of to a fellow pinsider on the way home. We both stayed up at least until 1:30 Thurs thru Sat and my dogs were barking big time, Sunday is just to much. Hell yeah it was a great time, but another day of it would have killed me!
    We would still come up and bring a bunch of pins as long as we could pull out Sat evening
    Wow, if parking was maxed out, what will happen when It grows, I thought the Freeplay area was pretty full, If this show grows next year, I don't believe the freeplay room could handle 250+ pins, a bigger venue might be a major consideration. shuttles are a pain and expensive.

The free play area will get expanded into the room were the after party was. The after party will get moved to another area maybe near the pool side. Big area with lots of tables there. We still have room to grow. Restoration room will become video game room next year.

I'm also thinking of doing something special for people who bring more than 5 games and also a separate bonus for people who leave there game in free play for the whole show. More on that latter.

#193 8 years ago

I loved the show but I also agree with the Fri, Sat, & Sunday format. Also, I left Sat around 5 because I had no idea there was a band later on. Maybe printed schedule of events and the times should be made available.

#194 8 years ago

Too bad that didn't happen this year. LOL

#195 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Hey I can't think of everything the first year lol.

#196 8 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

agreed..

#197 8 years ago

First off, thanks so much for making a pinball show happen in New England. I've travelled from Greenfield to York and Allentown shows and have wondered for years why we didn't have our own show. I genuinely hope these continue to succeed and can grow and become even better in the years ahead.
    I thought there was a really solid selection of free play games, and was pretty psyched to be able to pick up replacement square spot targets for my PinBot, so I walked away pretty happy.

Since you asked for feedback, here are the things I thought could be improved/changed/eliminated:

- Take plastic at the door

- Save whatever money was spent on magicians and clowns. They don't add much to the event, and, personally, creep me right the hell out. The "family friendly" vibe I've heard mentioned doesn't make much sense to me. I think these pinball shows are basically family friendly by definition. No need to spend extra money on things outside of pins and coin op gaming to make the point.

- I didn't enter the tournament because it was an extra $20 on top of the (entirely reasonable) admission fee. I'd rather you charged a bit more for the entry fee - $20 or $25 would have struck me as reasonable too - and made tournament registration free, perhaps subject to a qualification round. Personally, I'd rather play for a trophy than for cash if that means the difference between pay tournament vs. free.

- More pinball vendors, please! Hopefully this will resolve itself next year...I was disappointed that there wasn't a Marco booth or a Comet booth.

- Enforcement of 2 rules on the free play floor - 1) No removal of games until end of show. I was there on Friday and saw many of the nicest games disappear throughout the day. It depletes the show, and I've seen it before and it always bugged me. 2) If you're playing alone, don't be a dick and ring in a 4 player game. I never got to play that brand new KISS game in the dealer room because some jerk hogged the credits they had rung in, playing 4 players by himself. It's about the rudest thing you can do at a pinball show. Maybe there could be a special dunking booth that offenders would have to sit in.

- I'm in the camp that says a more interesting venue with a bunch of food trucks and craft beer would only improve the event. A hotel that insists on offering crappy food and $6 bottles of Heineken is functional but doesn't feel especially festive. The bar could be set a little higher; I know location is a consideration, but pinheads will travel a bit further off the beaten path of the interstate. Besides, everybody's got GPS in their phones these days.

Those are my inputs. Again, thanks for all the work you guys put in, and I sure do hope this can be a bigger and better show next year! Let's get New England on the pinball map finally! Those PA guys need some competition.

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Save whatever money was spent on magicians and clowns. They don't add much to the event,

I guess all those kids laughing and playing with their balloon animals wasn't much ?

The magician and clowns were the best idea ever. 20 years from now those kids will remember that day filled with pinball, clowns, and magic.

LTG : )

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I guess all those kids laughing and playing with their balloon animals wasn't much ?
    The magician and clowns were the best idea ever. 20 years from now those kids will remember that day filled with pinball, clowns, and magic.

Yeah, but were they necessary to make them laugh and put a smile on their face or would the pinball and video games alone have done that? How many kids made up the event? 10%, 5% of admission? Did that investment in clowns, magicians, kid's rides have any kind of ROI or would that investment been better spent on attractions that appeal to the bulk demo of attendees? I get that they want this to be family friendly, but that is taking a small demo of people AKA folks interested in pins and further narrowing it down to folks interested in pins with kids. There are far better larger overlaps.

#200 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Yeah, but were they necessary to make them laugh and put a smile on their face or would the pinball and video games alone have done that?

Small children would be bored in minutes with the pinball and video games.

Things to entertain them like the clowns, enabled the parents to be at the show and stay longer.

And having the children there is planting seeds for the future.

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintasticshould-we-change-anything-or-add-anything/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.