(Topic ID: 133327)

Pintastic..Should we change anything or add anything?

By dannunz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 334 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dannunz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pintastic_lunch.jpg
    clown.jpg
    p.txt.jpg
    20150710_121039.jpg
    2015-07-16_16_31_37-Pintastic_New_England_2015_-_Video_Tour_-_YouTube.png
    Mugged.jpg
    Staff_Vest.png

There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 4 years ago

Hello everyone now that Pintastic 2015 is in the books and we're looking forward to Pintastic 2016. What did you like and dislike about the show? What can we improve on? Should it be a 3 day show? Should the hours change? What other entertainment would you like to see?

Remember this is your show we want to give you the best show possible so. Thanks Gabe

#2 4 years ago

Teal shirts

I would keep the kid's rides, as I thinm attendance will be up now that people know what to expect. I am so psyched that we have this to look forward to next year !

#3 4 years ago

I thought the show was great. Had a fabulous time there and really appreciated the fact that there were things for the family to do. (Unfortunately mine bailed last min and had to go myself))The event center was spectacular with the ac and cleanliness. However, I came up on Friday with the intent on taking a game home. I found one, but was told I couldn't have it until after the show was over. I understand the thought process behind that, however I drove 520 miles to accomplish this task only to come home empty handed. I've been on the other end and have gone to a show on the last day only to see alot of games missing....it sucks...that's why I go on the first day anymore as I don't wanna miss out....I know this is a big dilemma as the organizers wanna keep pins on the floor but me as a consumer wanna take them home. Work, family, and life dictated that I could only go one day, shoulda picked the last day on this one....either way thanks for a fantastic day...tp

#4 4 years ago

Had no idea you were doing this Gabe, but man, let the record show that I'm not up for a 3 day show. I spent all of Sunday and Monday in bed completely exhausted and writhing in excruciating pain. Only got up Tuesday to go so the doctors appts I made so they could work on my back. So if everyone wants 3 days of show, we'll do it, but I won't be there for day 3. I physically can't do it.

We will definitely be having all the kids rides next year as well as the clowns, face painters and magicians. I want those to be the family trademarks and staples of Pintastic and everything will always be free. I don't care how much it costs. We want to make pinball a family event. That's the way we're going to do it.

The after party was the best. That was the only time my wife and I got to actually play pinball together. So that will definitely return as well. It was so nice to sit down and eat and then go around and thank and talk to everyone there. You and your families are awesome and I love and appreciate you all.

Sincerest thanks to everyone who brought out their machines. You really stepped up and made the free play area diverse and complete. Thank you everyone of you.

Thank you also to all the great techs who went around repairing things. You guys did that out of your kindness without charge. You guys...ROCK!

Let the ideas and suggestions begin!

#5 4 years ago

You guys did a fabulous job, especially given the sheer number of unknowns--would you get enough freeplay machines? Would there be enough vendor interest? Would enough people come? For the most part, you hit it out of the ballpark.

My suggestions would be:

1. Have the event be on a Saturday and Sunday, rather than Friday and Saturday. I think more people would come if it were a weekend event.

2. Rather than simply polling Pinside members for the best dates, set up on outside survey (a la surveymonkey) that suggests different dates and send everyone from all sites--pinside, BPA, etc.--to that central survey so you can get a centralized set of responses, and then based your dates on whichever dates get the most vote.

3. To increase the number of freeplay pins, you might want to increase the value of the incentives beyond the free admission and raffles. Maybe every person who brings 2 or more pins gets a free room? Maybe every person who brings 3 or more "not for sale" pins gets either a free room or a couple of hours of free repair time from a local pin tech? Maybe even person who brings one pin gets free admission and an Amazon gift card or something similar? Yes, this increases the out of pocket costs, but maybe a little pay-to-freeplay might help encourage more people to bring pins.

4. Your offers to transport pins from homes to and from the event is a real winner. Maybe starting a network of "guys with vans" who will move these pins for people would encourage more people to donate freeplay pins.

5. Rather than use Pinside, BPA or other forums as scattered discussion areas for PNE spefifics, add more community forum features to the PNE site to creabe the community site where people can post lists of games they will be bringing (or selling), or people can network to arrange transportation, or vendors can post promotional information. This will give the PNE better "repeat visit" value and make it a more effective tool for connecting PNE fans and vendors.

6. You might want to devote one room (or part of one room) to be a "Skill Teaching" area with several different kinds of machines (old EM, 80s, DMD era) where highly skilled players could demonstrate techniques to explain the differences between "regular shooting" and "mode based" games to people gathered around the machine. Part of this could also be "expert clinics" where top players explain advanced techniques in a seminar setting with the playfield projected on a video screen (a la tournament views).

7. MAKE SURE THE BIG LEWBOWSKI IS THERE!

#6 4 years ago

I want the live band playing at the 10pm after party and into the 2am free play... That would be awesome

#7 4 years ago

And the show was killer by the way!!!

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I thought the show was great. Had a fabulous time there and really appreciated the fact that there were things for the family to do. (Unfortunately mine bailed last min and had to go myself))The event center was spectacular with the ac and cleanliness. However, I came up on Friday with the intent on taking a game home. I found one, but was told I couldn't have it until after the show was over.

Hey TP, thanks for coming out and I am so glad you had a great time.

I'd like to say that you did not have to keep a machine there all day or for the entire event. We asked people to keep machines there on the free play floor till 7pm Friday or 6pm on Saturday. Stuff happens and sometimes people need to leave. If you had to take a machine, by all means you could have. We required that you pay $35 to remove the machine to discourage people from doing so. That money that was taken in on the few machines that left cause of sale went toward funding the Friday night after party. So you could have absolutely taken the machine and paid that $35.

Sorry for the confusion there. Wish you would've found and talked to Gabe or myself about that bro. We apologize for the misunderstanding and had the rules and guidelines for this up on the wall right outside the free play area to eliminate this type of situation. My apologies again nonetheless my brothah.

#9 4 years ago

The band at the end of the show was kind of a waste. Most people were gone by that point. I heard some complaints from people folding up their games that the band was deafening. I don't think a band would be a good idea for the after party (I saw that idea pop up in another thread somewhere). It was a good time to chat with various folks, and a band would just make that hard to do.

What might have been better is a small, quieter band in the vendor area in a corner somewhere. Maybe some fiddlers or something. But either way, a band might not even be necessary or something folks would want since there is so much noise anyway (I saw someone in another thread measured 105db in the free play area, which is about the same loudness as a lawnmower).

Some signage for the sessions other than the show program. I think a lot of people didn't realize there were sessions going on. The only session that was completely packed was Roger Sharpe's session.

Announcements were difficult to hear because of the noise in the free play and vendor areas. The speakers either needed to be louder, or things maybe should have been repeated 2-3 times to allow people to find an area to clearly hear the announcement.

It might be a good idea for staff shirts to be in a different color or have a different design than the shirts being offered for sale. I almost walked up to a few attendees wearing the grey shirts thinking they were staff from a distance.

There were several times during Saturday where there were no staff members in the free play area. I typically had to wander out into the hall or further into the building to find someone with a staff shirt to address a free play issue.

Tying into that, there were a handful of "not for sale" games that had no contact number to call/text for problems. Could there be a designated staff number to call or text for problems if the owner does not wish to supply a contact number?

When a buyer for my game removed it early (I did try to convince him to leave it, but he insisted on removing it), nobody stopped to check if the early removal fee was paid. I ended up going to the registration desk later on my own to take care of it. It didn't seem like it was being actively enforced. I would think a pin *leaving* the free play area in the middle of the afternoon would be noticeable.

But, most of these are just minor adjustments. Overall, it was a fun show to attend

#10 4 years ago

Staff shirts were supposed to be different colors. Our T-shirt guy botched this and we'll get it right next year.

There was always staff members in the free play area on Saturday. The problem was, most of our staff wore their shirts on Thursday set up as well as all day Friday PLUS the after party. They were too dirty, sweaty amd smelly to wear for a third day. So they were in plain clothes or other Pintastic shirts. Not sure how to get around this short of giving out a new shirt to each volunteer each day. But admittedly, that gets adds up.

Any ideas on another solution to this problem?

Thanks.

#11 4 years ago

Lots of great points and ideas keep them coming and we will review everything.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Hello everyone now that Pintastic 2015 is in the books and we're looking forward to Pintastic 2016. What did you like and dislike about the show? What can we improve on? Should it be a 3 day show? Should the hours change? What other entertainment would you like to see?

I was all pinballed out after 2 show days, and Thursday setup. 3 days might be too much. However, shifting the show days to sat/sun might boost attendance. Like mentioned earlier, try sending out a survey for this and possible show dates to get some additional opinions. A market survey might also be worthwhile, if it can be done cheaply enough.

The show hours were perfect, IMHO. Although, I only stayed a couple hours for the after party. I was exhausted after being up since the crack of dawn.

How about massage chairs like the ones malls sometimes have? A big complaint everyone had was aching feet and aching backs.

Quoted from Pinfidel:

There was always staff members in the free play area on Saturday. The problem was, most of our staff wore their shirts on Thursday set up as well as all day Friday PLUS the after party. They were too dirty, sweaty amd smelly to wear for a third day. So they were in plain clothes or other Pintastic shirts. Not sure how to get around this short of giving out a new shirt to each volunteer each day. But admittedly, that gets adds up.

Were there on-site washers/driers in the hotel? Maybe write names on the shirt tags, then toss them in for a wash at a certain time of day.

#13 4 years ago

I loved everything about the show. I really enjoyed the conference room/speaker portion, I hope that is something that you are able to keep. Having pinball legends like Dennis Nordman, Greg Freres and Roger Sharpe there was just incredible! I hope next year brings more/different industry people to speak (fingers crossed for Pat Lawlor!!). Being able to try out all the new and upcoming games like Lexy, Full Throttle and The hobbit was another favorite part of the show that I hope will be similar next year. I loved playing Big Bang Bar (got drinker #3 high score first game )...maybe that could come back?

I'd like to see Marco or Pinball resource (especially for some Gottlieb parts) there next year. I was hoping to pick up some repro ramps and maybe some repro Bally/ Williams plastic sets. Maybe work on expanding the flea market area if at all possible. Other than that the show was absolutely incredible so I say keep it the same. Thank you to everyone that made it happen!

Edit: Loved, loved, loved the after party!!!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Not sure how to get around this short of giving out a new shirt to each volunteer each day. But admittedly, that gets adds up.
    Thanks.

Not sure if this was done already (I wasn't really paying attention to who was staff and who was not because the need never came up for me) but how about different colored lanyards for the laminates. Something bright like neon green.

As for changes, moving to a Sat / Sun show would be better for most folks and can even schedule in a three or four day weekend for themselves but I understand the cost will go up. However, judging by this year, even if you kept the status quo (which I know you guys have no intention of doing) raising the one day price from $17 to $20 or even $25 would be totally justifiable. I can't imagine anyone balking at that price.

Overall, I've said it before and I'll keep saying it THANK YOU!!!! To everyone who made this event possible.
    I haven't had that much fun playing pinball in over 20 years.
    The venue is perfect and after showing my wife pics of the show and hotel, we're already planning on making next year's show a mini vacation for our family. Which would also free me up to volunteer and meet some of you great people.

And finally, hope your back recovers swiftly and completely. Sacrificing yourself to make sure this event was perfect to the end says plenty about how much it meant to you.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I loved everything about the show. I really enjoyed the conference room/speaker portion, I hope that is something that you are able to keep. Having pinball legends like Dennis Nordman, Greg Freres and Roger Sharpe there was just incredible! I hope next year brings more/different industry people to speak (fingers crossed for Pat Lawlor!!). Being able to try out all the new and upcoming games like Lexy, Full Throttle and The hobbit was another favorite part of the show that I hope will be similar next year. I loved playing Big Bang Bar (got drinker #3 high score first game )...maybe that could come back?
    I'd like to see Marco or Pinball resource (especially for some Gottlieb parts) there next year. I was hoping to pick up some repro ramps and maybe some repro Bally/ Williams plastic sets. Maybe work on expanding the flea market area if at all possible. Other than that the show was absolutely incredible so I say keep it the same. Thank you to everyone that made it happen!

All of those vendors you spoke of Marco....starship fantasy....pinball inc. ect. Ect. They were all watching to see what we were going to do with Pintastic. I think we proved ourselves and than some. I think you will see more vendors in 2016 not less.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I thought the show was great. Had a fabulous time there and really appreciated the fact that there were things for the family to do. (Unfortunately mine bailed last min and had to go myself))The event center was spectacular with the ac and cleanliness. However, I came up on Friday with the intent on taking a game home. I found one, but was told I couldn't have it until after the show was over. I understand the thought process behind that, however I drove 520 miles to accomplish this task only to come home empty handed. I've been on the other end and have gone to a show on the last day only to see alot of games missing....it sucks...that's why I go on the first day anymore as I don't wanna miss out....I know this is a big dilemma as the organizers wanna keep pins on the floor but me as a consumer wanna take them home. Work, family, and life dictated that I could only go one day, shoulda picked the last day on this one....either way thanks for a fantastic day...tp

I had someone that wanted a machine, I don't know if it was you. But when I stated after the show, I meant after the end of the show that day, not the end of the show Saturday night.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about massage chairs like the ones malls sometimes have? A big complaint everyone had was aching feet and aching backs.

Now that would be awesome. Maybe someone knows a vendor that has these? I know I'd pay. My back was destroyed by Saturday morning. Sitting in the chair having a beer would be amazing.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from raisindot:

5. Rather than use Pinside, BPA or other forums as scattered discussion areas for PNE spefifics, add more community forum features to the PNE site to creabe the community site where people can post lists of games they will be bringing (or selling), or people can network to arrange transportation, or vendors can post promotional information. This will give the PNE better "repeat visit" value and make it a more effective tool for connecting PNE fans and vendors.

I think this is a great idea^^^

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think a band would be a good idea for the after party (I saw that idea pop up in another thread somewhere). It was a good time to chat with various folks, and a band would just make that hard to do.

I agree with this. What made the after party so cool was that there were less people in there and you were able to play the games and hear them a bit more. Also it was a good time to talk game specific things while you were playing. I spoke to several different machine owners about the games they brought and their rules and shots and stuff like that. Playing and socializing is what I found enjoyable about the after party. With a loud band playing I think it would detract from that experience. Having the band at the end of the event was cool as it was kind of a send off/ grand finale type of thing while people were packing up. I vote keep it at the same time slot or cut it all together.

#19 4 years ago

Encourage a solid color t shirt for set up
    Day, and 2 days in staff shirt.

Adding 25 solid color with a sticker, even if supplied, they would be a couple
    Dollars.

I think you guys know what was too much and what you can recycle for next year.

Now even though there were only 4-5 flea market vendors, I enjoyed spending
    Time with each of them, and games
    Started at an amazing $150.
    Any way you can get growth there, I think would be welcome.

Lastly, for increased attendance.
    A large banner on a van parked
    By traffic flow, or a sign spinner.
    News crew TV coverage, and if colleges
    Or high school nearby, promotion
    to them can add a few hundred people.

#20 4 years ago

As everyone has said, fantastic job on the show! It was shocking that you pulled off such a great show on your first try. It felt like a major show, and WOW, getting to play all of the newest stuff from everybody was a blast!

I don't know about what you should change, but I know there are things I am going to change. I'm staying at the hotel next year. And the more important one, I'm renting a trailer to make transport easier. A big one so I can bring more games and keep the legs on. And I'll arrive on setup day, just to make it easier.

And thanks for the little stuff like having community two wheelers by the door. Also thanks to Scott R. for helping me with a messy stripped bolt in my game. The show really was a success and it was great meeting everyone there.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

Having the band at the end of the event was cool as it was kind of a send off/ grand finale type of thing while people were packing up. I vote keep it at the same time slot

I agree with Gotpins. The band during tear-down was something I enjoyed. I kept the machine there till after closing, taking the machine apart with band and beer, loaded up and hung by the band and played a few more games on machines still there was super! No rush no fuss - a great way to end the show and unwind.

#22 4 years ago

I'd maybe vote for a 2.5 day thing. Start setting up Friday morning and allow "VIP" ticket purchasers to come in for Free Play Friday night. Anyone traveling any kind of distance will likely be there Friday anyway, so it might encourage more VIP pass purchases and provide a nice benefit for them in terms of a little less crowded play time.

I'd tend to agree that a band isn't necessary. The after party with some food and the cash bar was a great idea but needed a little bigger space with some more tables and seating.

In general, the Free Play area ran well but I was disappointed in the machines that were placed on the back wall to the right of the entry. Many of those were broken and dark the entire weekend. If owners can't get them fixed, they should pull them as it reflects badly on the state of the area.

I loved having BBB there and knowing the money was going to charity. Great idea!

Great show, my first, and definitely looking forward to next year.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

let the record show that I'm not up for a 3 day show

If it becomes a three day show. ( and may as it grows ) You know your limits. If you need to skip a day or so, do it. Someone to fill in for you can be done, just figured out.

I'm concerned for your well being. More important than the show.

LTG : )

#24 4 years ago

^^^
    What Lloyd said. 100%

Next time you can delegate more to us minions! Dont stay on your feet on those hard floors for the whole show. Get your face painted and ride the bicycle. Maybe the Hendo Hover Board will be available (promised 10/15)!

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Now that would be awesome. Maybe someone knows a vendor that has these? I know I'd pay. My back was destroyed by Saturday morning. Sitting in the chair having a beer would be amazing.

Quoted from Gotpins:

I think this is a great idea^^^

I agree with this. What made the after party so cool was that there were less people in there and you were able to play the games and hear them a bit more. Also it was a good time to talk game specific things while you were playing. I spoke to several different machine owners about the games they brought and their rules and shots and stuff like that. Playing and socializing is what I found enjoyable about the after party. With a loud band playing I think it would detract from that experience. Having the band at the end of the event was cool as it was kind of a send off/ grand finale type of thing while people were packing up. I vote keep it at the same time slot or cut it all together.

I think we are leaning towards cutting out the band. I would like to add some sort of entertainment to the after party. Maybe a DJ with karaoke? Any other ideas?

#26 4 years ago

If we decide to do...

Friday set up with PIT PASS starting at 5pm

Saturday show 10am till 9pm
    After party 9pm till 1:30

Sunday 9am till 6pm (or should it end latter)

Do these days and hours work for everyone? Vendors....volenteers....general addm.

#27 4 years ago

Thank you sincerely for that Lloyd.

Yeah, my back is an unfortunate disaster. Can even explain the pain I was in the whole time. I just zoned in and did the best I could. It knocked me down for two straight days. I couldn't get out of bed.

The best was all our awesome friends and volunteers. I never touched or lifted a thing the whole event. There is no other hobby with better and more passionate people in it than pinball. I've been truly humbled to tears thinking about the love, compassion and graciousness of everyone. I simply can't say thank you enough times to you all. I just appreciate everyone.

And thank you to you Lloyd. You were an amazing add to our show and everyone loved you. If I have one regret, it was not being able to go out to dinner with you, Art and the guys Saturday night. Art was in tears talking about you and the stories when he got back.

You're a great person and friend. A true legend to the hobby if ever there was one. Thanks again and I sincerely hope you had a great time and got home smoothly and pain free.

Thank you Lloyd.

Derek.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

If we decide to do...
    Friday set up with PIT PASS starting at 5pm
    Saturday show 10am till 9pm
    After party 9pm till 1:30
    Sunday 9am till 6pm (or should it end latter)
    Do these days and hours work for everyone? Vendors....volenteers....general addm.

I prefer keeping the days as they are. This way I have Sunday to unload, and recuperate. Sell the pitt pass on Thursday, and package deal it for Thurs-Sat.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think we are leaning towards cutting out the band. I would like to add some sort of entertainment to the after party. Maybe a DJ with karaoke? Any other ideas?

Honestly, I'm not sure additional entertainment is necessary. I was completely satisfied meeting people, chatting, grabbing a bite to eat, and playing pinball. That was plenty of entertainment for me.

The problem with any sort of music/band/DJ is that they are always way too loud and try to make themselves the main focus of an event, when they should be relegated to the background.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Thanks again and I sincerely hope you had a great time and got home smoothly and pain free.

Got home okay. The plane ride in tried to kill me. Big thanks to Jared for helping me.

I had a great time. Great show ! And got to meet so many nice people ! Only thing I can add is I was grateful to be there. What an experience.

LTG : )

#31 4 years ago

Definitely kill the band during tear down.
    Being completely exhausted at the end of the show and trying to tear down games with the band playing added major frustration.

Saturday / Sunday will probably result in more participation.
    The tournament area was pretty dead on Friday for qualifying, but things really picked up with Pingolf on Saturday.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

Definitely kill the band during tear down.
    Being completely exhausted at the end of the show and trying to tear down games with the band playing added major frustration.
    Saturday / Sunday will probably result in more participation.
    The tournament area was pretty dead on Friday for qualifying, but things really picked up with Pingolf on Saturday.

Yes making it a Saturday sunday for general admission would bring in more people and also more tournament people. A bunch of tournament people did not get into the silver ball rumble because qualifying was only on Friday.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I would like to add some sort of entertainment to the after party. Maybe a DJ with karaoke? Any other ideas?

I agree with Forceflow that additional entertainment might not be necessary but if it's something you really want I think Karaoke would be entertaining. Perhaps it could be set up just outside the free play area where the concessions and tables were so you could SIT and enjoy it. After standing all day it would be nice to have a spot to take a break and sit but also be entertained. It would also keep the noise down a bit from the free play room but still have it close to all the action.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I agree with Forceflow that additional entertainment might not be necessary but if it's something you really want I think Karaoke would be entertaining.

I disagree - the only thing worse than the band playing was when a random person got up to sing a song with them and could not hit one note properly. My ears were bleeding.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Had no idea you were doing this Gabe, but man, let the record show that I'm not up for a 3 day show. I spent all of Sunday and Monday in bed completely exhausted and writhing in excruciating pain. Only got up Tuesday to go so the doctors appts I made so they could work on my back. So if everyone wants 3 days of show, we'll do it, but I won't be there for day 3. I physically can't do it.

Wuss.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

The problem was, most of our staff wore their shirts on Thursday set up as well as all day Friday PLUS the after party. They were too dirty, sweaty amd smelly to wear for a third day. So they were in plain clothes or other Pintastic shirts. Not sure how to get around this short of giving out a new shirt to each volunteer each day. But admittedly, that gets adds up.
    Thanks.

Febreze.

The only thing I think the show needs next year is more Beelzeboob. Otherwise, I thought it was perfect (or at least it was when I was there...once I left, I'm sure it wasn't as good).

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from movingpictures:

I disagree - the only thing worse than the band playing was when a random person got up to sing a song with them and could not hit one note properly. My ears were bleeding.

Lol! I guess that's what I find entertaining. It's funny to watch and listen to the tone def! It's morbid curiosity I guess...

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I wouldn't do that either. I think people were enjoying the conversations at the tables too much. You don't really get a chance to talk to people in the seminars or in the free play room (too loud), so the after party and after hours stuff is really the only chance to sit down, relax, and get to know people.

Save the money on the band/karaoke and you have more than enough to get some more staff shirts.

#39 4 years ago

How about a silent auction to raise money for charity or to put towards PNE2017? You could get some great autographed items, rare pinball memorabilia, etc. Or, if you wanted to make an event out of it, you could hold a live auction.

Thanks,
    -Doug

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

How about a silent auction to raise money for charity or to put towards PNE2017? You could get some great autographed items, rare pinball memorabilia, etc. Or, if you wanted to make an event out of it, you could hold a live auction.
    Thanks,
    -Doug

We kind of did that this year to raise money for the after party. I'm surprised more people did not buy tickets. We raffled of over $3000 in prizes.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

We kind of did that this year to raise money for the after party. I'm surprised more people did not buy tickets. We raffled of over $3000 in prizes.

Raffles tend to be hit or miss.

99% of the time, I never win anything, so I tend not to bother. It's kind of like putting money into a claw game machine. But I did put a few bucks in this time since I saw the bins weren't stuffed with tickets. However, it seemed like the same 4 people won almost everything since they bought a couple arm lengths of tickets, so I probably won't bother next year if there's a raffle. *shrugs* While it might sound fair to limit the number of tickets someone can put in a bin or the number prizes someone can get, it's also not fair as a fund raiser to turn someone away if they are willing to put money in. I don't really see a good way to achieve balance.

Either way, there was some nice stuff available, which is why I broke my usual rule of not bothering with a raffle and bought a few tickets.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Staff shirts were supposed to be different colors. Any ideas on another solution to this problem?
    Thanks.

Neon Staff Vest? Able to use year after year over normal street cloths ... and noticeable from a mile away!

Staff_Vest.png

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Raffles tend to be hit or miss.
    99% of the time, I never win anything, so I tend not to bother. It's kind of like putting money into a claw game machine. But I did put a few bucks in this time since I saw the bins weren't stuffed with tickets. However, it seemed like the same 4 people won almost everything since they bought a couple arm lengths of tickets, so I probably won't bother next year if there's a raffle. *shrugs* While it might sound fair to limit the number of tickets someone can put in a bin or the number prizes someone can get, it's also not fair as a fund raiser to turn someone away if they are willing to put money in. I don't really see a good way to achieve balance.
    Either way, there was some nice stuff available, which is why I broke my usual rule of not bothering with a raffle and bought a few tickets.

I did notice that. My rule of thumb is once you win one prize you should be done. Let someone else win. In fact I won multiple raffle/door prizes but only took one. If you win multiple and want the better prize then give the lesser prize back. Just my 2 cents..

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

I did notice that. My rule of thumb is once you win one prize you should be done. Let someone else win. In fact I won multiple raffle/door prizes but only took one. If you win multiple and want the better prize then give the lesser prize back. Just my 2 cents..

Thanks for letting other people have a chance

It seems like some people are just prize magnets

Can't believe you pulled your own name the one time, though--that was hilarious

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks for letting other people have a chance
    It seems like some people are just prize magnets
    Can't believe you pulled your own name the one time, though--that was hilarious

Agreed, I couldn't have been any more embarrassed. I was actually saying to myself please don't pick me, please don't pick me.. I had my back turned to the spinner, and handed the ticket without looking at anything. After winning I said if my name is called please, run the raffle again. Sure enough it was called, and my friend James ended up getting a good prize.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Neon Staff Vest? Able to use year after year over normal street cloths ... and noticeable from a mile away!

Staff_Vest.png

I like this idea.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

I think Karaoke would be entertaining.

So the questions are:

1. Who would have talked Lloyd into doing it?
    2. Who would have stayed to listen?

Mugged.jpg

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

more Beelzeboob.

Someone say more, "Boob?"

no pics

#49 4 years ago

Gabe and Derek I would talk to the guys that run the other shows as they have a good idea of what works for days - they can tell you how Sundays worked for them.

what you need to remember is with the dates and days you had this year you can expect at least the same amount next year if you stick to the same plan.

If you vary the plan you don't know how it will change attendance - if could real hurt - or really help - is it worth the chance - or is it better to keep the same dates and time and look at what you got for the money you spent - can you drop a few things here and there - can you raise the price to get in a dollar or 2 - things like that - how many of the vendors will be back for sure. I was scared to bring my games for free play - but it worked fine - I have to say the most played game I saw when I was there was the 60 and 1 I left there.

anyway you have plenty of time to figure things out and make decisions that you think are best - thanks ed

#50 4 years ago

You did so much well that I have to think a while to come up with anything to improve. I do like the suggestion of having a few seminars that deal with basics (on up) of pinball maintenance and repair. Anything that demystifies pinball for novices is a good thing. Same goes for buying pins and for playing. A newbie track of seminars could be taught by volunteers and might well help to attract new people if advertised in advance. Have a pin to demonstrate on and perhaps a few reserved for practice. You wouldn't have to try to do everything each year. Perhaps think of this as a two- or three-year cycle of short classes. I believe that these would appeal to my sister and brother-in-law, for example.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 299.00
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 42.00
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.50
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 89.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 334 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside