(Topic ID: 177210)

2017 PINTASTIC New England show- CHECK YOUTUBE FOR LOTS OF COOL VIDEOS!

By dannunz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,498 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0883 (resized).JPG
    f57c29c22a5f4f74963812e06c318313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3143 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3142 (resized).PNG
    download (resized).jpg
    ashdialedin (resized).jpg
    IMG_1981 (resized).JPG
    20170712_140845.jpg
    157 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0369 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0269 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1465 Videos of Pintastic Seminars Posted by hool10 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmarston.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaWezl:

Any reason to book Weds night as well?

If you want to be a volunteer to help with Thursday setup, that would be a good reason.

Then there are the approximately 2847 antique shops in a 25-mile radius. The local tourism office will give you lots more reasons.
    .................David Marston

3 weeks later
    #52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

1) Have a live demonstration on play field restoration. Demonstrate the sanding, repainting, refinishing techniques. Maybe some beat up play fields could be donated for such an event. Might also be a good plug for someone that does it as a business.

I already had something like this in mind as a possible topic for one of our more colorful presenters. The restoration you see in the various pinball videos that are out there is often time-lapsed, so don't expect one project start-to-finish. But I think there are key steps that people really want to see live, in 3-D.

Potential presenters are invited to PM me with proposed presentations.

2 weeks later
    #95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I'm interested in bringing several machines to sell. I wouldn't want to be in the outdoor flea market, so is my only other option the free play room?

Your options are:
    (1) Free play room with "For Sale" marked on the game cards - lots of perks if you do this!
    (2) Consign to the auction, where they will be on free play until auction time
    (3) Outdoor flea market (no electricity)
    (4) Take a booth in the vendor hall

Is that enough options? In all 4 cases, you can tout what you're selling in online forums ahead of the show.

2 months later
    #335 6 years ago
    Quoted from MulderItsMe:

Will any New England-area arcades have a presence at the expo? When I check pinballmap.com, sometimes I lament the apparent scarcity of public pinball locations in MA. Seems like this event would be a great place for locations to promote themselves.

Pintastic tries to get posters put up at all the prominent pinball venues in New England, New York, New Jersey, Quebec, New Brunswick, etc. In return, we can put their flyers on our literature table. A couple venues go the extra mile and take an ad in the program book.

I found that pinballmap.com is not always up-to-date, nor is the map feature of Pinside, either. Heed their pleas for updates!

The 2017 speaker program includes a presentation by one of the pinball-loving location owners. Watch for the seminar schedule!

#378 6 years ago

And this means that we really want you to bring games designed by Barry Oursler.

...and also Ted Zale! I am working with a nearby collector of 1960s games to have a talk about Ted Zale, who was the principal designer for Bally (amusement pinballs, at least) from 1963 to 1973. There is a lot of mystery surrounding Zale, so the presentation will attempt to separate truth from rumor.

Games having programming by Lyman Sheats or sound by David Thiel would be nice to have, too!

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

In that case I should try and get my Bally Cosmos running.

Yeah! That's what we like to see!

Let's see how many of these we can get:
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ppl=Zale&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

3 weeks later
    #530 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Anyone know if Shay is attending ??

I'd like to know, too! We could even find a spot for him on the seminar program. If anyone here is in contact with him, let him know about the "popular demand" for his appearance.

1 week later
    #597 6 years ago

The guy doing the presentation about game designer Ted Zale is getting psyched! Known as drsfmd here on Pinside, he writes:
    "Chock full of never before seen documents and information, this seminar will bring a lot of new information to light, and add significantly to the pinball historical record."
    This is yet another reason to attend Pintastic New England, and to bring a game designed by Zale if you have one (or two)!

1 week later
    #636 6 years ago

Pitch-and-bat games are welcome, too! So far, we have Slugfest.

Ted Zale designs so far: Cosmos, Gator, Expressway.

Gottlieb EMs are well represented. It looks like we have 5 Williams EMs coming, and one ChiCoin.

#649 6 years ago

The 11:0 0 AM start time for Thursday setup is a conservative time. There might be very few volunteers before that. You could put the game up on its legs and wait for a staffer to come by and designate a placement. We're still planning out who arrives when.

#652 6 years ago

Schedule corrections have been posted to the Pintastic New England home page (near the bottom). Plan accordingly!

1 week later
    #707 6 years ago

OK, here is the seminar schedule as of now. Quite a few details have settled in, with just a couple outstanding.

FRIDAY, JULY 7
    11:30 Eric Stone
    Playing Tips from the Champ
    ======================
    13:00 Video by Joel & Dana Reeves
    Things That Go Bump in the Night: The Spooky Pinball Story
    14:00 Mike Thomas
    Workshop discussion on building a 60-in-1 video game
    15:00 Hugh Spahr
    Musings of a Lifelong Hacker: How Pinball Electronics Work
    16:00 Butch Peel
    Dialed In!: Under the Hood
    ======================
    18:30 Todd Tuckey
    Pinball: Yesterday, Today, ... and Tomorrow?

SATURDAY, JULY 8
    10:00 David Thiel
    Sound is Half the Pinball
    11:00 Reserved for late-breaking news
    ======================
    14:00 Barry Oursler
    Fireside Chat
    15:00 Zombie Yeti
    (Title pending)
    16:00 Steven Doellefeld
    Ted Zale: One of the Unheralded Greats of Pinball Design
    ======================
    Late afternoon: autograph session 17:00?
    ======================
    18:00 Jack Guarnieri, Butch Peel, David Thiel
    Jersey Jack Pinball Update

#711 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

15:00 Zombie Yeti
    (Title pending)

Zombie Yeti's topic is "Fail Better Every Time" -- you'll have to attend the seminar to get the full context. He is one of the new-to-pinball artists providing new ideas, new vitality, and new influences from pop culture. He's a "digital native" who has great respect for industry veterans like Greg Freres and the accrued wisdom of pinball art. His enthusiasm for working in pinball will be evident in his seminar!

#756 6 years ago

From the point-of-view of the Pintastic staff, the person actually taking the machine out the door has to pay the fee. For a purchased machine, the buyer and seller have to settle between themselves where the money comes from.

The back side of the "game card" and our new real-time tracking system for games in free play are both designed to handle the scenarios where the buyer removes the game and where they opt to keep it in the room, available to play.

#838 6 years ago

The auction will start at NOON on Saturday, contrary to the prior posting. I hear that Ralph and Ed have a bunch of stuff, but they haven't told me specific titles. Stay tuned.

#870 6 years ago

Some of the games in the auction are starting to be revealed:
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2939111

#950 6 years ago

ForceFlow posted:
    https://images.pinside.com/f/e6/b1/fe6b10904130fe8c52695f2988ffccf10b0e3947.jpg

Yes, those are QR codes on the game cards. More about them to be revealed on Friday.

#1202 6 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

There was a NIB, strange looking cocktail-sized pinball playfield for auction that Todd Tuckey bid on and won. I'm going crazy trying to figure out exactly what it is from, as it had flipper mechs, a scoop and bumpers as if it were pulled from a fully functioning game. It was labeled a "pinball topper" and had "Hollywood Hits" typed on the box label, but it sure didn't look like a topper...

It's not a pinball topper, but a slot machine topper. WMS made a slot machine that had a pinball theme, and when you got certain awards on the reels below, this topper started running the ball around the path of different pinball mechanisms. I don't know the name of the machine off-hand, but it was discussed extensively on r.g.p at the time it came out, so you should be able to find out more with a well-focused Google search.

#1241 6 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

For those of you that are unable to volunteer your time at the show you can help Pintastic by supporting these vendors, at the show and online.

We have a few things we do between shows where we could use some volunteer help. We should package up the tasks and make a formal request for pre-show volunteer help around early June next year.

#1267 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I saw that [crossing out "not"] on more than one game. I suspect that someone was walking around with a sharpie or a pen changing other peoples games. Not someone associated with the show, but some scumbag that was attending. Those cards might need to be moved under the glass or something else to prevent that.

That could have been someone on the Pintastic team who was changing out the game cards when they were tired. They were only supposed to cross out "not" when the old card said the game was for sale. We'll investigate.

#1322 6 years ago

Do we need two different kinds of flea market offerings? Outdoors: long hours, weather risk, great visibility if in front. Indoors: protected, maybe have electricity, maybe have shorter hours.

When you discuss the auction, please state what your personal interest is. Specifically, would you consign items? If 99% of the people just hope that someone else will consign, then prospects are not good.

#1324 6 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

I wasn't sure about the internet this year and it's why I went with a camcorder again. It really irks me when panels or expo's are never recorded because it's history and 5 years from now or even a month from now you may want to see...

As long as we have enough people who pay to attend live, this would be worth considering. I think the internet situation in that seminar room is dubious, though Jaap Nauta had moderate success with his live connection in 2016.

#1421 6 years ago

>By the way, if you want to bring a machine, what's the process for registering and such?

There is a page for that on the pintasticnewengland.com website. When you register, you should have a specific game title in mind, but there are ways to change it if the original game becomes unavailable.

#1424 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

...I have a huge matrimonial department at my firm....I should be a vendor again by the next show.

A matrimonial law booth in our vendor hall? They could help with pre-nuptial agreements that specify which party gets the pinball machines in case of divorce! Or as the old lawyer joke says, to really make money, you need to have *two* law firms present.

We already have a credit union booth where you can get at-show financing (if qualified). I suppose law firms would be the next step.

#1427 6 years ago

David Thiel says the video of his talk is posted at

with contributions from Derek K. and Butch.
    Added over 7 years ago: This clip has been improved! Jump ahead to #1457 in this thread and view THAT version.

Added over 7 years ago: Sorry, I meant #1460.

#1462 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Would a date change for 2018 to June 28th to the 30th work better for everything pintastic?

OK, it looks like we're going for those dates!

#1463 6 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Maybe use the auction room for a silent auction on the second day and have it benefit a deserving local charity.

The weakest part of the auction is the lack of items being consigned to it. We have to solve that issue before deciding where and when it takes place. There is a theory that by having it mid-day on a Saturday, that is the best for revenue and hence, for the consignors. And that doesn't seem to be enough incentive. Any readers of this thread want to say what circumstances would motivate them to consign a game to the auction?

1 month later
    #1488 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

The only explanations are: They got the right plate number PINBALL, but the wrong state

I know that NY has two color schemes active right now for their license plates. Which color scheme is your plate? That would narrow down whether a PA plate or a CT plate could be mistaken for yours. Also, did you get the detail on which toll sensors the vehicle went under? I know that detail is provided on pay-by-plate bills; not sure about whether they include it in transponder bills, but I would expect they do. It tells you (indirectly) where they got on and off the Mass Pike, which is a clue.

I think there were several PINBALL/PINBAL/PNBALL license plates at the show.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmarston.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-new-england-show-2017-thread?tu=dmarston and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.