(Topic ID: 177210)

2017 PINTASTIC New England show- CHECK YOUTUBE FOR LOTS OF COOL VIDEOS!

By dannunz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,498 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0883 (resized).JPG
    f57c29c22a5f4f74963812e06c318313 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0417 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3143 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3142 (resized).PNG
    download (resized).jpg
    ashdialedin (resized).jpg
    IMG_1981 (resized).JPG
    20170712_140845.jpg
    157 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0369 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0260 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0269 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,498 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 30.
    #1351 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Would a date change for 2018 to June 28th to the 30th work better for everything pintastic?

I'm one of 3 people I know that couldn't attend this year due to the dates (and I've only talked to 3 pinheads this week). Too many family commitments going on during the week of the 4th. Yeah it's a short week, so a lot of attendees only had to take a few days of vacation... but conversely that means many others also just took a few days vacation to go away with the family/friends for the entire week.

The 28th-30th gives a much better buffer to separate itself from the 4th which starts the following Wednesday next year.

#1352 6 years ago

Took a break from playing on Saturday night and went fishing in the lake... Was catching them left and right for a while.

#1353 6 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Pintastic flea market was pretty awesome last year, when Automated dug a little bit into their vault and brought a truck load. They had some good parts games. I was hoping they did the same this year.

I was hoping for some of the same. Sadly, I basically went home empty handed this year

#1354 6 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Pintastic flea market was pretty awesome last year, when Automated dug a little bit into their vault and brought a truck load. They had some good parts games. I was hoping they did the same this year.

They don't have any left

#1355 6 years ago

The outdoor flea allows for some fresh air and a change of pace. The rain was killer both days. We never set up the grill. Most vendors including us had our own tents. Unlike Levi, I could care less about the tournament. though it, like the flea is part of the overall experience. It's nice to be able to hear people, have a beer, talk pinball and chill without the din of 100 pins. There are only so many loops one can do. I think up front of the hall would be great. That was sterling adams idea (flea vendor) and it is great. Having emergency exit only on the doors and garbage cans blocking them does not help drive traffic out back. I guess all have their opinions, mine is, without a flea I'd probably pass on the show.

#1356 6 years ago

PINTASTIC 2017 SURVEY. Please go to the link below and take this 5 min. survey. This will help us make the show better. Thanks

https://co50.com/pintastic

#1357 6 years ago

Did the survey. Q4 doesn't work on my iPad.

#1358 6 years ago

Done. Yeah, the order of importance question didn't work on mine either. I went to the laptop to take it. It seems Gabe took majority of the commentary from this thread to come up with the questions.

#1359 6 years ago

I guess beelzeboob is hiding, he always avoids tests.

#1360 6 years ago

I sold 9 games. Yes, stuff doesn't move at Allentown prices but stuff does move at decent craigslist prices. If you are looking for tip top dollar it isn't for you. If you are looking for fair prices stuff will move.

#1361 6 years ago

I took the test:

#1362 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I guess beelzeboob is hiding, he always avoids tests.

Some of us actually leave the house. I'm on vacation. My participation will be spotty, so live it up while I'm gone...

#1363 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Some of us actually leave the house. I'm on vacation. My participation will be spotty, so live it up while I'm gone...

You may have left the house, but I just saw you were still fixing pins LOL!

#1364 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You may have left the house, but I just saw you were still fixing pins LOL!

I help wherever I can. And my wife makes fun of me whenever she can. The only Theatre of Magic on Kauai (and perhaps in the state of Hawaii)...and I fixed it!

#1365 6 years ago

Oh, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

Good to hear you were able to help

#1366 6 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

The outdoor flea allows for some fresh air and a change of pace. The rain was killer both days. We never set up the grill. Most vendors including us had our own tents. Unlike Levi, I could care less about the tournament. though it, like the flea is part of the overall experience. It's nice to be able to hear people, have a beer, talk pinball and chill without the din of 100 pins. There are only so many loops one can do. I think up front of the hall would be great. That was sterling adams idea (flea vendor) and it is great. Having emergency exit only on the doors and garbage cans blocking them does not help drive traffic out back. I guess all have their opinions, mine is, without a flea I'd probably pass on the show.

You are not alone ive heard this type of sentiment again and again. Pinball shows need the flea, and i found myself taking a 2 hour break from the noise and crowds. I
    Play EM's and a few SS then i realize that my home collection I enjoy more. I'm playing my games probably 5 days a week.

Make the loop then I start clock watching before I head out to tailgate. The draw for me is boxes of EM parts to pick through, the funky man cave crap and just talking to people and people watching. Im with you on the tournament , zero interest.

#1367 6 years ago

Ok guys I wasn't at the show and have never been to pintastic, and in all honesty I don't think i will. I know it's an amazing show, lots of activities to keep young children entertained, stuff like that but as 1974deltaqueen mentioned that's just not for me or my family or any other dealer who's really into the EM's and I don't associate that with pinball shows in my opinion. I've talked to MANY people who seemed more excited about the show being held in a fancy ballroom and that it was near pools and lakes rather than the content of the show. At least from the pics I saw, there's some nice wedghead titles but it still doesn't seem to be that type of show. The flea market seemed to have been a dog and I think it needs to be more of an Allentown type show (lots of EMs, an indoor flea market with EMs) and that's centrally located (like how Pinfest is just 1 hr from philly and 90 mins from NYC and near many highways that bring the pinheads together). This is a general statement but a lot of pinheads tend to also come from the Midwest or the south and probably won't go up to MA. I know a lot of pinheads travel 5 hours+ to go to a show but I'm pretty much local and 2.5 hours is far to go to a show that (in all fairness, no offense) does not seem to have a large assortment of wedgeheads and a growing flea market like pinfest. 2017 was our 5th straight year set up at Pinfest and hopefully 2018 will be my 6th. Now in regards to show dates, the heart of summer (end of June, all of July and August) just isn't my time of year for shows; even if pintastic is a great show (which I'm sure it is). That's why I can't make the Saratoga show since I'll be in Vegas. I think that (so you don't compete with York or Allentown) early spring (like march) or late fall (November/December) is prime. I miss Ivan's fall show and would certainly go to one.

#1368 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Ok guys I wasn't at the show and have never been to pintastic, and in all honesty I don't think i will. I know it's an amazing show, lots of activities to keep young children entertained, stuff like that but as 1974deltaqueen mentioned that's just not for me or my family or any other dealer who's really into the EM's and I don't associate that with pinball shows in my opinion. I've talked to MANY people who seemed more excited about the show being held in a fancy ballroom and that it was near pools and lakes rather than the content of the show. At least from the pics I saw, there's some nice wedghead titles but it still doesn't seem to be that type of show. The flea market seemed to have been a dog and I think it needs to be more of an Allentown type show (lots of EMs, an indoor flea market with EMs) and that's centrally located (like how Pinfest is just 1 hr from philly and 90 mins from NYC and near many highways that bring the pinheads together). This is a general statement but a lot of pinheads tend to also come from the Midwest or the south and probably won't go up to MA. I know a lot of pinheads travel 5 hours+ to go to a show but I'm pretty much local and 2.5 hours is far to go to a show that (in all fairness, no offense) does not seem to have a large assortment of wedgeheads and a growing flea market like pinfest. 2017 was our 5th straight year set up at Pinfest and hopefully 2018 will be my 6th. Now in regards to show dates, the heart of summer (end of June, all of July and August) just isn't my time of year for shows; even if pintastic is a great show (which I'm sure it is). That's why I can't make the Saratoga show since I'll be in Vegas. I think that (so you don't compete with York or Allentown) early spring (like march) or late fall (November/December) is prime. I miss Ivan's fall show and would certainly go to one.

Pintastic is not trying to be like Allantown or York. Have you even been to Texas or Expo? We are a little more like those 2 shows with more of a family atmosphere. If you do not expose kid and family to pinball they will never be able to experience the EM's you love so much. What I would suggest is that you give it a try. You may be surprised by whst you find.

#1369 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Your loss. Sound like you're only trying to go to one type of show, and that can get boring pretty quickly. Pintastic is the ONLY show that my whole family gets excited about going to, and it gets better every year. To each his own, I suppose.

#1370 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Ok guys I wasn't at the show and have never been to pintastic, and in all honesty I don't think i will.

I'm sorry for your loss, I had a great time

#1371 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your loss. Sound like you're only trying to go to one type of show, and that can get boring pretty quickly. Pintastic is the ONLY show that my whole family gets excited about going to, and it gets better every year. To each his own, I suppose.

Couldn't agree more. There was something for everyone at the show, seminars, new games, old games, tournaments, kids activities, vendors, etc. we didn't spend a minute at any of the hotel amenities, no pool or lake, just pinball. The row of system 11 games should on its own be enough for any pinhead to attend.

#1372 6 years ago

New England has needed its own show for 20 years. It's list of seminar speakers over the past couple of years is incredible, especially for a new show. The SW reveal was a major feather in its cap. If your only goal is scrounging through boxes of EM parts and you only make a quick pass through the games then there are better shows...for now.

#1373 6 years ago

"Variety is the spice of life"

Things suck about Pintastic, things suck about Allentown. Things are great about Pintastic, things are great about Allentown. They are each their own show and serve their purpose of entertaining the pinball community. I know that Allentowns vibe isn't the same uber family friendly vibe as Pintastic so I keep this in mind when making my plans. My 9 year old son is all about pinball and as long as there are machines he's good to go. He goes to both. My 11 year old daughter and 6 year old need other distractions, Pintastic is the better option for them. I can still go to the show and bring them to enjoy quality time together. I feel more comfortable allowing my kids to roam together at Pintastic as well given the visible staff presence around the building and not just at the entrances. Both are great shows but to each their own.

ashdialedin (resized).jpgashdialedin (resized).jpg

#1374 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Couldn't agree more. There was something for everyone at the show, seminars, new games, old games, tournaments, kids activities, vendors, etc. we didn't spend a minute at any of the hotel amenities, no pool or lake, just pinball. The row of system 11 games should on its own be enough for any pinhead to attend.

We were the opposite; after a few hours playing pinball in the morning the kids were tired so my wife took them to the pool. Then back to pinball for a couple of hours and when they started to wear down we took them to the pool while we enjoyed the Jacuzzi. More pinball until the kids got cranky and then they went back to the room while we played some more. Perfection.

#1375 6 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

You are not alone ive heard this type of sentiment again and again. Pinball shows need the flea, and i found myself taking a 2 hour break from the noise and crowds. I
    Play EM's and a few SS then i realize that my home collection I enjoy more. I'm playing my games probably 5 days a week.
    Make the loop then I start clock watching before I head out to tailgate. The draw for me is boxes of EM parts to pick through, the funky man cave crap and just talking to people and people watching. Im with you on the tournament , zero interest.

My wife looked into playing in the tournament but decided not to when she realized that it would be useless at her skill level to just get destroyed (even the person explaining the tournament to her felt that way). A casual tournament (round robin style where you could get a break or two) or a female only tournament would get her to participate. I think.

I may just stop at the Restaurant Depot on my way to Pinfest 2018 and buy a couple hundred hot dogs and buns, set up a grill on the far side of the Flea Market and have Gabe announce "Free Hot Dogs in the Flea Market" just to get people out there, lol.

#1376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

My wife looked into playing in the tournament but decided not to when she realized that it would be useless at her skill level to just get destroyed (even the person explaining the tournament to her felt that way). A casual tournament (round robin style where you could get a break or two) or a female only tournament would get her to participate. I think.
    I may just stop at the Restaurant Depot on my way to Pinfest 2018 and buy a couple hundred hot dogs and buns, set up a grill on the far side of the Flea Market and have Gabe announce "Free Hot Dogs in the Flea Market" just to get people out there, lol.

Maybe there's room in the show to run a simple tournament on qualified free play games for NEWBS and people who aren't wizards. There are plenty of software options for the phone that help anyone run a tournament fairly simply. Adds no cost to the show, but requires one or 2 people to help run the tournament.

3 strike knockout comes to mind.

#1377 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

set up a grill on the far side of the Flea Market and have Gabe announce "Free Hot Dogs in the Flea Market" just to get people out there, lol.

Not a terrible idea!

#1378 6 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Maybe there's room in the show to run a simple tournament on qualified free play games for NEWBS and people who aren't wizards. There are plenty of software options for the phone that help anyone run a tournament fairly simply. Adds no cost to the show, but requires one or 2 people to help run the tournament.
    3 strike knockout comes to mind.

I beleve southern NH pinball club will be running a pin gulf tournament in the free play room next year.

#1379 6 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I'm sure the Pinfest people will not find it amusing...

#1380 6 years ago

Personally I love the Flea Market, but wish it was bigger. I figured that the weather has been the major downfall of the Flea, especially this year. At least I got to continue my three year tradition and bought some untested bally displays from bstnguy

I don't have even close to the skill level to compete in a tournament, so I just kind of walk right by. I'm not one to attend a panel either.

The Flea Market, Vendor Room, and Free Play area is where I hang out.

I brought games for the first time this year, And one was for sale (Old Chicago). I put a high price on it for it's condition. I kind of wanted to sell it, but not really, because I hoped to restore it for the show, then sell it, but life got in the way this year, so I only got to finish the one game. Maybe the Restored old Chicago will show up next year.

~Redfive05

#1381 6 years ago

I meant to add in my survey, a real good choice would have made it a better experience, for sure.

#1382 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic is not trying to be like Allantown or York. Have you even been to Texas or Expo? We are a little more like those 2 shows with more of a family atmosphere. If you do not expose kid and family to pinball they will never be able to experience the EM's you love so much. What I would suggest is that you give it a try. You may be surprised by whst you find.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I'm sorry for your loss, I had a great time

It's not my loss because the show isn't for me 100%. I know people who don't like Allentown and can't stand York because it isn't for them and that's fine. Like I've said guys, I know and am sure it's an amazing show, it just doesn't seem to have the flea market and free play games that i desire. Gabe I'd love to come next year, but i just hope that there's an indoor flea market that gets attention. I was never trying to criticize or put down what I know is a great show. The kids activities are great but i just never thought they'd be part of a pinball show and u make a valid point. Beezleboob I only go to one show a year and that is Allentown so it doesn't get boring lol. I hope to make it to York. Those r the type of shoes I enjoy. Hope to come next year.

#1383 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

the show isn't for me 100%.

Understandable. As great as a show may be. There is no way to please everyone.

Glad you have a show you do like. And glad you posted. There may be things Pintastic can do that may interest you in the future.

LTG : )

#1384 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

I spent most of my time at the show in the free play areas, in the vendor area, in seminars, rummaging in the flea market (such as it was), and chatting with other pinball enthusiasts. There was plenty to do. It is what you make of it.

I like going to Allentown for what that show has, and I like Pintastic for what that show has. Each show has it's own unique flavor and focus. The Saratoga show has a few interesting EM titles registered, and I'm interested to see what other games get registered in the coming weeks.

If you were into EMs, there seemed to be nice selection of EMs at Pintastic. If you're into early solid state, alphanumerics, DMDs, or the latest and greatest games, it was all there. There were even 3 homebrew/re-themed custom games. There were several of the popular favorites, as well as some rarities that you don't see often. There was a nice variety.

On top of that, there are fun family-friendly things there outside of pinball-related activities (though I didn't really take advantage of these myself, I saw plenty of people having a blast).

This show is the expo of the northeast. I'm really glad it's here. There is always room for improvement since no show is perfect, but I had a really great time every year that I've attended so far, and I'm very much looking forward to next year.

#1385 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I spent most of my time at the show, in the vendor area, in seminars, rummaging in the flea market (such as it was), and chatting with other pinball enthusiasts. There was plenty to do. It is what you make of it.
    I like going to Allentown for what that show has, and I like Pintastic for what that show has. Each show has it's own unique flavor and focus. The Saratoga show has a few interesting EM titles registered, and I'm interested to see what other games get registered in the coming weeks.
    If you were into EMs, there seemed to be nice selection of EMs at Pintastic. If you're into early solid state, alphanumerics, DMDs, or the latest and greatest games, it was all there. There were even 3 homebrew/re-themed custom games. There were several of the popular favorites, as well as some rarities that you don't see often. There was a nice variety.
    On top of that, there are fun family-friendly things there outside of pinball-related activities (though I didn't really take advantage of these myself, I saw plenty of people having a blast).
    This show is the expo of the northeast. I'm really glad it's here. There is always room for improvement since no show is perfect, but I had a really great time every year that I've attended so far, and I'm very much looking forward to next year.

Well Said!

Once you start comparing one show to another you can find fault with each but you can also see what each has to offer over the others. Not every show will appeal to everyone but I am thankful for every show that exist and hope to see more shows in the future.

Allentown is probably one of the best shows in the country and will likely remain that way for years to come. Ivan has taken a very good show and made it into something special. But I know Gabe (Pintastic) and Rich (York) are both working very hard to make their shows better every year also and I am very thankful for that.

Gabe has done something pretty amazing in just 3 years - it isn't Allentown but it isn't suppose to be!

#1386 6 years ago

I'm sorry, I realized that my above comment was incomplete and made no sense!

What I meant to say was that a larger food selection would have been welcome. I realize that Sturbridge Inn isn't the Hilton, but a venue with a bar/lounge/in-house restaurant would be ideal. I realize that there was one detached from the main Inn, but it wasn't the greatest, there was no indication that it was even there, and it was inconvenient running to it in the rain.

Any thought given to another venue in the same town, perhaps?

#1387 6 years ago

Total noob here..... My first pinball show was Pintastic 2017. I convinced 2 good friends and my other half to join me. I had a ton of fun. Played lots of games, including the Tekken 5 (yeah, not pinball, but still awesome). Played some great tables. I thought the Bad Cats had the most fun artwork. Looking forward to next year for sure.

#1388 6 years ago

Heck it wasn't pinball, but I was thrilled to see Final Fight there. Hadn't played a real arcade machine of it in years. Too bad it needed some work, though. Wish I could bring my Street Fighter II CE with me!

#1389 6 years ago
    Quoted from La_Porta:

I'm sorry, I realized that my above comment was incomplete and made no sense!
    What I meant to say was that a larger food selection would have been welcome. I realize that Sturbridge Inn isn't the Hilton, but a venue with a bar/lounge/in-house restaurant would be ideal. I realize that there was one detached from the main Inn, but it wasn't the greatest, there was no indication that it was even there, and it was inconvenient running to it in the rain.
    Any thought given to another venue in the same town, perhaps?

Convention centers connected to a hotel are not easy to find in this area. Eventually I suspect we will out grow this location. But until then I for see it being her for at least 3 more years.

#1390 6 years ago
    Quoted from La_Porta:

I realize that Sturbridge Inn isn't the Hilton, but a venue with a bar/lounge/in-house restaurant would be ideal.

You must have missed them, but there are two restaurants right in the hotel, both with good food and reasonable prices. I had a great breakfast in one on Saturday, and had dinner in the other all three nights- their calamari was fantastic. The food point of sale outside of the free play room was lousy and the prices were outrageous.

#1391 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

You must have missed them, but there are two restaurants right in the hotel, both with good food and reasonable prices. I had a great breakfast in one on Saturday, and had dinner in the other all three nights- their calamari was fantastic. The food point of sale outside of the free play room was lousy and the prices were outrageous.

My $3 ice cold hotdog, in a cold wet bun from the "bar" was fabulous Prime rib from Teddy G's made up for it....

#1392 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The row of system 11 games is like Krypotonite for many of us and then the VIP room was as well. I like variety too, but if you go top heavy on one aspect of a show, it throws off the balance of your wide target audience. Allentown has the best blend but its a more established show. The flea isnt just for EM's half the project pins are solid state. And then the cool crap you find to decorate your man cave. Plus its an escape from the mayheim indoors.

Im liking the Free hot dogs limit of 2. the joey chesnut rule * to get folks outside, its July. We got November- March to play pinball inside.

#1393 6 years ago

The only idea being scrapped is the Pintastic girls.

Why is that again?

Quoted from beelzeboob:

On vacation with who? Your wife is with me.

#1394 6 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Would a date change for 2018 to June 28th to the 30th work better for everything pintastic?

And my daughter's bday is 7/5, part of the reason I couldn't stay over this year (party was following Saturday). So if it were those dates next year, I'd say probably not making it. I think if you don't invite Beelzeboob, attendance would definitely increase no matter what the dates are.

#1395 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Why is that again?

On vacation with who? Your wife is with me.

That's my transgender brother. Enjoy!

#1396 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I think if you don't invite Beelzeboob, attendance would definitely increase no matter what the dates are.

Why do you think attendance is always up on Saturday?

#1397 6 years ago

Coldond3,

Pintastic girls got very little interaction with their target. The target being males who were interested in buying beer, hats, T-Shirts, or taking pics with them. A few guys did partake, but the interaction Friday night was so disparaging they did not return Saturday night.

This is second party info i got from a relable source. I worked Friday night.

DQ74

#1398 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's my transgender brother. Enjoy!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why do you think attendance is always up on Saturday?

Thought you were busy on vacation...you bastard!!

I honestly think the timing of the show has a lot to do with attendance, as other people have said. What to do about it...that I'm not sure. Overall, I had a blast and didn't mind helping Gabe out when he needed it. Seemed like plenty to do for everyone to me.

#1399 6 years ago

Coldond3,
    Pintastic girls got very little interaction with their target. The target being males who were interested in buying beer, hats, T-Shirts, or taking pics with them. A few guys did partake, but the interaction Friday night was so disparaging they did not return Saturday night.

??? I saw them walkin' around on Saturday night, they were in the VIP room. Maybe they were freelancing.

Honestly it was kind of a tacky idea. I like tacky ideas but I can see why this one didn't catch on.

#1400 6 years ago
    Quoted from Schnollms:

Those r the type of shoes I enjoy.

Do you enjoy these shoes?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

There are 1,498 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-new-england-show-2017-thread/page/28?hl=mattmarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.