Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinterest
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PlayfieldInTent.jpg
    SS2Playfield.jpg
    SS3.jpg
    picard_clapping.gif

#1 8 years ago

Anyone know the results of the best in sbow contest from the different eras of games in the freeplay area from this weekend's show?

#2 8 years ago

IMHO: If Creature From The Black Lagoon didn't win something, then the whole thing is a Traveshamockery!

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Quint:

IMHO: If Creature from the Black Lagoon didn't win something, then the whole thing is a Traveshamockery!

There were quite a number of impressive pins. The topper on that particular game, color DMD, and the screen in place of the hologram....wow.

Here's a quick video I took:

#4 8 years ago

The screen in place of the hologram looks amazing. Thanks for posting the video.

#5 8 years ago

It looks like this may have been the source for the screen mod: http://pinballmiked.com/?product=cftbl-hologram-mod

#6 8 years ago

Also the snack bar mod by our mate SWINKS. Topper is a bit much though?

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Also the snack bar mod by our mate SWINKS. Topper is a bit much though?

Yeah, the topper is a bit over the top. But, it certainly is an eye catcher

#8 8 years ago

I talk to the owner Brian (Bryan?) about that Creech.. I never saw that as a pin that commanded the amount of love it gets,,,, until now.

That pin was gorgeous... Between the ColorDMD, the Holgram Mod, the new ramps, and yes even the topper ( we are at about 2 grand just in mods/parts) on the pristine machine dialed in like this was, it was a winner for sure.

#9 8 years ago

I see a credit dot . So not a winner .

#10 8 years ago

I thought there were supposed to be ribbons given out for each era best in show in the freeplay area like Texas Pinball Festival does.

It was advertised on the Pintastic website. Did this not happen after all?

Quoted from DRDAVE:

Anyone know the results of the best in sbow contest from the different eras of games in the freeplay area from this weekend's show?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

I see a credit dot . So not a winner .

At the show it probably got more than enough people playing without getting the whirlpool open to register a switch not hit. This happens with the bigfoot switch on White Water also.

#12 8 years ago

That was my creech at the show. Thanks for all the nice compliments. That game is my all time favorite so I've probably spent way to much time and money on it.

I've had that topper for about 2 years but couldn't install it due to not quite enough head room in the basement. At the last minute while packing for the show I decided to try and make a mount for it so I could finally see it installed on machine. I met a very nice fellow creature owner at pintastic and his machine will be the new home for this topper. I'll be looking for the dancing popcorn, candy, ice cream, and soda figures to put there as replacements. They fit the theme just as well, are much shorter, and dont freak out the kids and dog as much.

#13 8 years ago

So many sweet games there but eabundy's Pinbot was my favorite.

#14 8 years ago

I think I saw the exact topper you're looking for at hobby lobby.

Quoted from docquest:

That was my creech at the show. Thanks for all the nice compliments. That game is my all time favorite so I've probably spent way to much time and money on it.
    I've had that topper for about 2 years but couldn't install it due to not quite enough head room in the basement. At the last minute while packing for the show I decided to try and make a mount for it so I could finally see it installed on machine. I met a very nice fellow creature owner at pintastic and his machine will be the new home for this topper. I'll be looking for the dancing popcorn, candy, ice cream, and soda figures to put there as replacements. They fit the theme just as well, are much shorter, and dont freak out the kids and dog as much.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Question. Who put the $2,400 price tag on it. I was pulling out the cash and dialing the phone but said to myself it must be a joke. It had a $400 ColorDMD, a $300 Mike D Hologram replacement . . . So I figured the phone number was just someone playing a joke on you or whoever had that number.

Also, did you have any trouble with the 12v fuse running both mods? Mine pops the fuse every once and a while. And because it is a re-import with no service plug I can't power the monitor separate. I need to wire a socket to the switch.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

That was my creech at the show.

picard_clapping.gifpicard_clapping.gif

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Question. Who put the $2,400 price tag on it. I was pulling out the cash and dialing the phone but said to myself it must be a joke.

I still dont know who altered my "not for sale" tag. I got it fixed before too many phone calls came in.

To power my mods i used the power mod sold by pinballmiked (same guy who makes the video mod). The power mod coonects to the service outlet and also needs a 12v signal from the game. The purpose of the power mod is give you a 120vac source only when the game is on (service outlet is always on when game is plugged in). I have the video mod TV, raspberry pi, and the UV light strip on the back board powered using the power mod. I dont see the power mod on pinballmiked's site so im not sure if he still sells them or not. If you are the diy type you can make your own using the "powerswitch tail kit" at sparkfun.com.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

I still dont know who altered my "not for sale" tag. I got it fixed before too many phone calls came in.
    To power my mods i used the power mod sold by pinballmiked (same guy who makes the video mod). The power mod coonects to the service outlet and also needs a 12v signal from the game. The purpose of the power mod is give you a 120vac source only when the game is on (service outlet is always on when game is plugged in). I have the video mod TV, raspberry pi, and the UV light strip on the back board powered using the power mod. I dont see the power mod on pinballmiked's site so im not sure if he still sells them or not. If you are the diy type you can make your own using the "powerswitch tail kit" at sparkfun.com.

That was a nice creech and it was nice having dinner with you and getting all the last pins out of there

#19 8 years ago

I don't know if the "best in show" business was missed, but I would cut the organizers a huge amount of slack. They did a fabulous job. I doubt any of the rest of us would have invested so much in it and have done nearly so well.

#20 8 years ago

We wanted to do the best in show but things got crazy Saturday night. Between the operation of the show, the free play raffle, the after party and charity raffle, than we had to do the project pinball drawing live. We ran out of time guys I'm sorry.

#21 8 years ago

For the Restoration Throwdown, there were only two entries. There were supposed to be more, but some people backed out when they found that there wouldn't be prizes. As it was, Eric Bundy had his beautiful Pinbot restoration and I had the SharpeShooter III restoration which might not have even been called a restoration. It would have been difficult to compare the two machines because of the completely different types of projects that they both were. Pinbot was stunning, and every time that I went to check that SS3 was working properly, I ended up playing a round on it. I don't know where it started, but I know that the end product was better looking than it looked new. Congratulations, Eric, on that machine.

I entered mine mostly to make sure that I had an end date on getting something working. I was changing code on the machine up until Friday morning, and some of my changes introduced bugs. I was unhappy with how it played and there modes that the kick out hole would not kick out the ball. My bad for trying to update and the fix the code up to the last minute. Another week for testing the code would have meant a lot, but there is always next year, were I plan to bring it to the freeplay area so it gets more plays.

Somebody ask what the before and after shots looked like to see how much work was done. Since SS3 started out as a Sharpshooter II playfield and no cabinet, I can only offer up a picture of the before and after playfield. Thanks to Dave for taking the only picture that I have of SS3 at Pintastic.

SS2Playfield.JPGSS2Playfield.JPG
    PlayfieldInTent.jpgPlayfieldInTent.jpg
    SS3.jpgSS3.jpg

#22 8 years ago

You sure about that? I and another restoration guy I know decided not too this time around because of the confusion/stipulation around taking a barn beater and making it into a cream puff. I have too many restorations going on and others waiting in queue to start with that much of a wreck. It's not economically feasible in my book. My restoration time is better spent on starting with a good candidate and bringing it forward making it into a showpiece.

I hope that Gabe and Derek will make the best in show by eras a reality next year. I think this is one of the reasons why they got a lot of great quality shopped out games in the freeplay area their first time out as they put it out there that there that there would be judging (so bring forth your best games to the show). The best in show ribbons (and prize money) is one of the reason why the Texas Pinball Festival has so many games in stellar condition from the many eras represented at that show.

I do think that Gabe and Derek hit it out of the park with their vision for a FUN family pinball event. Kudos to them.

Without them doing the heavy lifting co-ordinating everything for a full year beforehand, this show wouldn't be in the history books as a success. And of course the great volunteers that helped out as well made this a successful TEAM effort as Derek and Gabe have said.

And kudos to them for allowing me to be the unofficial freeplay director. Hard to get each era of game it's own row with owners wanting to keep their games they brought together, but at least I got most of the chime games along the back and side wall.

The freeplay area looked and sounded glorious! =)

Dave (Doc)

Quoted from openpinballproj:

For the Restoration Throwdown, there were only two entries. There were supposed to be more, but some people backed out when they found that there wouldn't be prizes.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

You sure about that? I and another restoration guy I know decided not too this time around because of the confusion/stipulation around taking a barn beater and making it into a cream puff. I have too many restorations going on and others waiting in queue to start with that much of a wreck. It's not economically feasible in my book. My restoration time is better spent on starting with a good candidate and bringing it forward making it into a showpiece.
    I hope that Gabe and Derek will make the best in show by eras a reality next year. I think this is one of the reasons why they got a lot of great quality shopped out games in the freeplay area their first time out as they put it out there that there that there would be judging (so bring forth your best games to the show). The best in show ribbons (and prize money) is one of the reason why the Texas Pinball Festival has so many games in stellar condition from the many eras represented at that show.
    I do think that Gabe and Derek hit it out of the park with their vision for a FUN family pinball event. Kudos to them.
    Without them doing the heavy lifting co-ordinating everything for a full year beforehand, this show wouldn't be in the history books as a success. And of course the great volunteers that helped out as well made this a successful TEAM effort as Derek and Gabe have said.
    And kudos to them for allowing me to be the unofficial freeplay director. Hard to get each era of game it's own row with owners wanting to keep their games they brought together, but at least I got most of the chime games along the back and side wall.
    The freeplay area looked and sounded glorious! =)
    Dave (Doc)

Dave me and Derek want to put you in control of the Best in show contest for 2016. You and a few judges of your choice could vote on all the machines and make it a reality. We would back you 100% and you could also enter your own games but not vote for yourself lol. We want it to happen in 2016 but we have so much other stuff to do its impossible to give it the attention it deserves. So what do you think Dave?

#24 8 years ago

Um...let me think about it for a moment......

YES! I'd be honored. =)

Quoted from dannunz:

Dave me and Derek want to put you in control of the Best in show contest for 2016. You and a few judges of your choice could vote on all the machines and make it a reality. We would back you 100% and you could also enter your own games but not vote for yourself lol. We want it to happen in 2016 but we have so much other stuff to do its impossible to give it the attention it deserves. So what do you think Dave?

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Doc - That is by FAR the nicest CFTBL I have ever seen! It played as good as it looked too! Phenomenal job!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-best-in-show-results and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.