(Topic ID: 216316)

OFFICIAL PINTASTIC 2018- Sturbridge, Massachusetts- Buy, Sell, trade and beyond

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1719 (resized).JPG
    2018-07-07 20.32.47 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180703_195305 (resized).jpg
    5A3BAA1A-25F3-487E-9454-57E8857D7778 (resized).jpeg
    marinehorn02.jpg
    onemillion (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Lost In Space entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show late 80s BK2K head (resized).jpg
    Best In Show late 80s BK2K entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power head and owner (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Custom Lost in Space Head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit playfield (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit entire (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar entire game (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballmike217.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#484 5 years ago

If Pintastic wants to get real about the best in show category they need to offer serious cash prizes. Nobody cares about a ribbon. There are a ton of talented restorers in New England and beyond but no one is going to put a 100+ hour restoration into the free play area. Yes, the velvet ropes are what is needed if you want a true "concours" type competition. I truly hope this segment of the show evolves. It is currently only a farce but it could become a main attraction if managed properly.

#492 5 years ago

Gee Dave, Thanks, give me the benefit of the doubt by downvoting my post and not allowing someone else an opinion. Maybe if the show judged ALL the pins and didn't exclude Eric Bundys other restorers would be interested in showing. There is obviously huge room to improve on the Pintastic restoration competition. Right now farce sums it up and until it becomes a worthwhile competition talented restorers won't waste their time. Kudos to those that made the effort and brought restorations but until judging becomes fair and all are included on a level playing field it is not a true competition.

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Mike it was an over site on my part about Eric's Getaway not being included in the competition. Eric asked me if he could put the Getaway in the EBL and said he wanted it to be considered for best in show contest. I take full responsibility for the screw up and we will be more clear next year about the rules. We will also be doing a "people choice award" for best in show were you can cast your vote via the QR code on the game card. I will be offering up a prize for this. Not sure what yet but it will be worth while.
    Unfortunately Pintastic is not a museum and part of the scoring is how well the game plays. So with that said maybe we should rename the competition to "Best all around playable, stupendous, kick ass pinball machine contest"

Well said Gabe, thanks for clarifying. I'd like to extend my thanks to you as well for putting the show together, it's a huge task.

If the restoration competition does evolve I would be glad to bring machines in the future. I'm sure you understand that a restorer can't realistically put a 100+ hour restoration in the free play area. Machines should be judged with the glass off and the playfield up as well as being judged on playability and the quality of the restoration. People who go to an automotive concours don't expect to be able to drive the cars in the show so collectors at Pintastic should be able to understand and enjoy a true CQ restoration without playing them and leave that to the judges.

1 week later
    #628 5 years ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

I wish you got feedback from the judging... or a score... so you could know what improvements you could make, or how close (or far) you were to placing.

I agree. Did the judges even have scoring sheets? At a car show you get something like this:
    https://www.capcitycorvette.com/CIPJudge.htm
    This could easily be modified to fit a pinball show. Points should be given for cabinet inside, cabinet outside, playfield top, playfield bottom, playability, and overall presentation. Without a scoring sheet like this participants have no idea of how there machine was judged and how it compared to other machines. Without transparent scoring using judging sheets that everyone can view, then a competition is nothing more than a popularity contest.

#634 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

All 3 judges have very detailed scoring sheets.

Hi Gabe, Thanks. Is there a reason participants couldn't see the scoring sheets? I've had a few cars judged in my day and I'd like to respectfully suggest the following for next year.

1. Post blank scoring sheets online before the competition so both new and old restorers will know how their machines will be judged.
    2. Have a sign up sheet for people who would like to have their machines judged. Award no prizes until it has been verified that all entrants have
    been judged so no one gets forgotten again.
    3. This is a must: machine owners must be present while their machine is being judged. That way if a judge has any questions or concerns with a
    machine the owner is right there to provide information. The owner can then see their score sheet and if he has any concerns they
    can be addressed in the judges presence on the spot so it can't come up again later.

This will keep judging open and honest and owners will get to see how their machines were scored. I've never heard of any kind of competition where scoring was not made public.

#645 5 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Car shows and judging can sometimes be a big joke. Back in my car days, I had a correctly restored '69 Mach 1 at a show. Along comes another car and pulls in next to me. The car had numerous incorrect parts and additions. Mine had all date code correct parts, with no expense spared.
    The incorrect car won Best in Show.
    I don't hold too much emphasis on awards. Just an acknowledgement of a job well done is fine for me.

That's exactly why rules need to be defined and put in writing for all to see before any judging is done.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballmike217.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-2018-sturbridge-massachusetts-buy-sell-trade-and-beyond?tu=Pinballmike217 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.