(Topic ID: 216316)

OFFICIAL PINTASTIC 2018- Sturbridge, Massachusetts- Buy, Sell, trade and beyond

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1719 (resized).JPG
    2018-07-07 20.32.47 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180703_195305 (resized).jpg
    5A3BAA1A-25F3-487E-9454-57E8857D7778 (resized).jpeg
    marinehorn02.jpg
    onemillion (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Lost In Space entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show late 80s BK2K head (resized).jpg
    Best In Show late 80s BK2K entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power head and owner (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Custom Lost in Space Head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit playfield (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit entire (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar entire game (resized).jpg

There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
    #501 5 years ago

I had a blast at Pintastic as I do every year! It was nice to just enjoy, play a bunch of Pins I love and have never played before and I was glad I let Project Pinball use my Gremlins Re-theme at their booth! It will most likely be sitting at their booth again next year! Gabe does a great job and love how he tweaks the show every year! Keep up the great work GABE!

There were some awesome pins this year and It did seem the FREE PLAY Room was a bit bare compared to last year, but thats the thing, year to year it will differ! I'll be there next year, enjoying as I did this year!

#502 5 years ago
    Quoted from dellice45:

I had a blast at Pintastic as I do every year! It was nice to just enjoy, play a bunch of Pins I love and have never played before and I was glad I let Project Pinball use my Gremlins Re-theme at their booth! It will most likely be sitting at their booth again next year! Gabe does a great job and love how he tweaks the show every year! Keep up the great work GABE!
    There were some awesome pins this year and It did seem the FREE PLAY Room was a bit bare compared to last year, but thats the thing, year to year it will differ! I'll be there next year, enjoying as I did this year!

Any chance your roller coaster club could raise money to get a coaster at the show? In the back. If your the president you could make it happen.

#503 5 years ago

Well, possibly we can look into a carnival company and get some type of Roller Coaster lol Not sure the cost, but I do know who to contact for rides. Hell You can even buy a used Kiddie Coaster that even adults can ride.lol It really depends the deal you work out with the company as there are many that travel and could get some and could be a draw and I know you did have rides at Pintastic for the first one and not sure how well it was received and maybe could be something for the future if the price was right!

Hope I do win the election, Ill find out August 11th lol

Actually I gotta say pintastic got me through the BS with that election, with the Crazy people thrashing me, I just fell into the pinball world and forgot I was even running for President for a few hours on Saturday hahaha Pintastic is really a nice escape from the everyday BS, plus working with Project Pinball seeing all the machines, enjoying everything Pintastic and to offer was a nice change, instead of dealing with these Coaster idiots that take it too seriously hahaha

I really can't wait to see how Pintastic Evolves next year as I said before you do a great job and I know it takes a lot to put something of this size on, it's not easy or everyone would do it! I appreciate all the work that everyone does to put the show on and I love helping out when I can withs getting things up or helping Dave Madore with stuff and others. I helped Dan at the Project Pinball Booth when he needed to walk Maggie or needed to get something. It's a great community of people, just having fun!

I usually don't commit to volunteering because I don't like to commit to one thing, but when I asked I just go to a particular part someone needs help inland do that.So if someone needs me to watch the free play door so they can eat, ill do that, or help setting up a machine or watch a booth for a little bit, thats what I do, I don't need the badge or the perks, I just help when asked!

#504 5 years ago

Yeah something along those lines Gabe. =)

A Best in Show contest title that conveys "Plays as good as it looks."

Quoted from dannunz:

Unfortunately Pintastic is not a museum and part of the scoring is how well the game plays. So with that said maybe we should rename the competition to "Best all around playable, stupendous, kick ass pinball machine contest"

#505 5 years ago

All for "The people's choice award"
    -Mike

#506 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

All for "The people's choice award"
    -Mike

Agreed. It will be a great addition to the show.

#507 5 years ago

I've been sitting back reading for the past 5 days. Here are my thoughts (or .02 as most would say).

1. Doing a show of this magnitude is a huge undertaking. Many of gripes pale in comparison to the work that goes into making a show like this a success.
    Thank you Gabe and crew for your hard work and investment. Without guys like you, there wouldn't be shows for all of us to enjoy.

2. I've been fortunate to win several ribbons over the past three years in the best of show competitions. Granted the pickings in the EM categories are usually fairly thin and were notably so this year. To me, having the ribbon to me far exceeds any monetary reward I cold get for this honor. I think the winners should be asked to participate in a question and answer forum in the conference center later on Saturday afternoon following the ribbons being posted on their game. I spent a good portion of the show answering questions about how I did this or how a part of the machine came out the way it did. I think it might be interesting for the show participants. LaPorta, your firepower embodied the essence of the intent of the judging. Perfect looking and playing game. So sorry I tilted it while I was having the ball of my life. That being said, I can't count how many people, including close friends question my sanity bringing really nice/restored games for the free play area. These machines were built to be in public. There's no reason a properly restored machine can't be on a show floor for 50 hours of play.

3. I like the idea of setting up in the seminar room for prizes at the end of Saturday evening. I have to say, I think the raffle prizes were distributed backwards though. Don't these kinds of things normally get distributed smallest to biggest or "grand prize" last? A minor nit pick ...again not a big deal, just an observation. I like the idea that the judging team put the ribbons on the best of show games earlier in the afternoon, but also think that perhaps if the prize portion of the show is moved to the seminar room at the time of the raffle drawing. The announcements of the ribbon winners can happen at that time prior to distributing the raffle prizes.

4. The extra ball lounge is kind of a turnoff to me. I think someone mentioned it kind of beckons back to the haves and have-nots. I purposely didn't go in that room even later when the hours of the show permitted me to go there. I think if you are a game bringer or pay at the door or order passes, you should be entitled to play every game at the show. I understand the concept, but for me as a consistent supporter of this and other shows, it doesn't sit right.

5. Kudos the the flea market vendor. He sat out there all day Friday and Saturday in the sweltering heat and didn't pack it in when he saw he was all alone.

6. Kudos also to Tony D. who, with some help, did all he could to keep up with the demand of repairs needed.. Seemed like some guys brought games just to have them repaired at the show ...not cool. Nice job with what sometimes seemed like a thankless task.

Overall, had a blast as usual and even if none of my suggestions are used, I can't wait until next year.

Dave Metrando, Highland, NY

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from 1stpinballdave:

I've been sitting back reading for the past 5 days. Here are my thoughts (or .02 as most would say).
    1. Doing a show of this magnitude is a huge undertaking. Many of gripes pale in comparison to the work that goes into making a show like this a success.
    Thank you Gabe and crew for your hard work and investment. Without guys like you, there wouldn't be shows for all of us to enjoy.
    2. I've been fortunate to win several ribbons over the past three years in the best of show competitions. Granted the pickings in the EM categories are usually fairly thin and were notably so this year. To me, having the ribbon to me far exceeds any monetary reward I cold get for this honor. I think the winners should be asked to participate in a question and answer forum in the conference center later on Saturday afternoon following the ribbons being posted on their game. I spent a good portion of the show answering questions about how I did this or how a part of the machine came out the way it did. I think it might be interesting for the show participants. LaPorta, your firepower embodied the essence of the intent of the judging. Perfect looking and playing game. So sorry I tilted it while I was having the ball of my life. That being said, I can't count how many people, including close friends question my sanity bringing really nice/restored games for the free play area. These machines were built to be in public. There's no reason a properly restored machine can't be on a show floor for 50 hours of play.
    3. I like the idea of setting up in the seminar room for prizes at the end of Saturday evening. I have to say, I think the raffle prizes were distributed backwards though. Don't these kinds of things normally get distributed smallest to biggest or "grand prize" last? A minor nit pick ...again not a big deal, just an observation. I like the idea that the judging team put the ribbons on the best of show games earlier in the afternoon, but also think that perhaps if the prize portion of the show is moved to the seminar room at the time of the raffle drawing. The announcements of the ribbon winners can happen at that time prior to distributing the raffle prizes.
    4. The extra ball lounge is kind of a turnoff to me. I think someone mentioned it kind of beckons back to the haves and have-nots. I purposely didn't go in that room even later when the hours of the show permitted me to go there. I think if you are a game bringer or pay at the door or order passes, you should be entitled to play every game at the show. I understand the concept, but for me as a consistent supporter of this and other shows, it doesn't sit right.
    5. Kudos the the flea market vendor. He sat out there all day Friday and Saturday in the sweltering heat and didn't pack it in when he saw he was all alone.
    6. Kudos also to Tony D. who, with some help, did all he could to keep up with the demand of repairs needed.. Seemed like some guys brought games just to have them repaired at the show ...not cool. Nice job with what sometimes seemed like a thankless task.
    Overall, had a blast as usual and even if none of my suggestions are used, I can't wait until next year.
    Dave Metrando, Highland, NY

Well said, Dave. Thanks for always bringing super nice EMs to the shows.
    I like a lot of your ideas and observations about the show. You're right about the raffle. Starting with the small prizes first would keep everyone interested, and would add an element of drama and tension (the good kind) as the final winners are drawn. Good point.
    I'm glad the outdoor flea market guy did well. I always like to browse through stuff outdoors, but there wasn't anything there for me.

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

As far as games leaving early on Saturday, there is an early removal fee of $35. Ticket admission is $25. I assume that the CFTBL new owner paid that penalty.

This is why games were allowed to leave early...more money in the show hosts pocket. Always follow the money. The shows in Texas, no games allowed to leave until show is completely over. $175 for a 4 day pass seems very expensive, and to have games with limited access from one day pass buyers, is kinda jive. Especially when the general floor is being shut down early and games pulled. A lot of guys, and I would be one, have family and life commitments that prohibit more than one day pinball adventures. Lots of legit “suggestions” here. From what I’ve read here, I wouldn’t attend this show if I were close enough, unless I were using it to sell some games. As a player, too much $ and not enough value.

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

This is why games were allowed to leave early...more money in the show hosts pocket. Always follow the money. The shows in Texas, no games allowed to leave until show is completely over. $175 for a 4 day pass seems very expensive, and to have games with limited access from one day pass buyers, is kinda jive. Especially when the general floor is being shut down early and games pulled. A lot of guys, and I would be one, have family and life commitments that prohibit more than one day pinball adventures. Lots of legit “suggestions” here. From what I’ve read here, I wouldn’t attend this show if I were close enough, unless I were using it to sell some games. As a player, too much $ and not enough value.

First off I do not want any games to leave and your point of me raking in the money from games being pulled early is crazy. The fee is there to deter people from pulling games. As far as pulling games early. I feel that we don't have the right to force people to leave there games all weekend. Instead we like to reward them by giving them $3000 in cash and prizes if they leave them till the end. Next year we will be rewarding them even more if they leave the games all 4 days. More to come on that at a later date. If I was all about the money would I pull $2000 cash out of the register and give it to game bringers as a thank you?

The $175 LE package comes with a bunch of things plus Exclusive things that you can only get with that package like the screen printed poster. If you add up everything you get in the package the 24hr access to the EBL is only $10 a day on top of paying for access each day.

Our premium two day, four day and free play badge holders will be able to access to the extra ball longe earlier next year. We will continue to tweak hours.

Texas is a great show and Ed does an amazing job. They do things differently than us. We have our own way. I'm not saying it's better just different. Also Texas has the show in one large room. We are split into s few rooms so we have more flexibility to do what we think people want. LE packages were very well received and we almost sold out of the 100 available. We will be tweeting the hours but the LE package will continue.

#511 5 years ago

Bingo. This was my comment from the beginning. Still feel the same way.

#512 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

If I was all about the money would I pull $2000 cash out of the register and give it to game bringers as a thank you?

Oh boy... I hope they all got the same or there may be a riot.

The $175 LE package comes with a bunch of things plus Exclusive things that you can only get with that package like the screen printed poster. If you add up everything you get in the package the 24hr access to the EBL is only $10 a day on top of paying for access each day.

I still don't think you understand that most people are glad to be and can only be there for one day. Rationalizing the EBL cost with a 4-day pass rings hollow for me.

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I still don't think you understand that most people are glad to be and can only be there for one day. Rationalizing the EBL cost with a 4-day pass rings hollow for me.

It's a raffle 2 winners get $500 two get $250 and 5 get $100. Only for game bringers that leave there games till the end.

As far as the EBL between 4 day LE and 4 day Premium we had just under 200 people that we're at the show for all 4 days.

We also have a 2 day Premium we're you can gain access latter in the day to the EBL.

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

In the interest of providing constructive feedback about the negatives... I want to echo this.

I have gone all 4 years with my wife (and my sister joined for the last two). Our lives and schedules only let us come one day. We drive up and hang for roughly 7-8 hours. This year we stayed the shortest probably only 5 hours and that included an hour lunch at Friendly’s. We all got frustrated at the Saturday crowd and when I saw the missing games after lunch (CFTBL) and the broken ones we just kinda bailed. Please no one get offended I know you work hard I’m just sharing the impression I got. This isn’t being said to attack anyone.

If you charged a few extra bucks to offer one day passes to the EBL we might consider it but short of that it feels like it is this place that there is no practical way for people like my family to enjoy. We won’t pay that much money for our one day stay. Maybe it isn’t aimed at us and that’s fine I guess...

Everyone’s experience is different and I’m legitimately just trying to provide my point of view as a guy who has gone every year. Part of me says to come next year Friday and stay all day - but I’m leery of doing that if a chunk of great games remains in this EBL and I can’t buy a one day pass to it. Understand that it is a perception issue (“why are these games being kept from us”) and sometimes perceptions rule emotions no matter what the logic or math is.

To be clear - I don’t mind reaching into my pocket but I don’t want to buy a pass for more days than I physically plan on going.

There is my feedback

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

In the interest of providing constructive feedback about the negatives... I want to echo this.
    I have gone all 4 years with my wife (and my sister joined for the last two). Our lives and schedules only let us come one day. We drive up and hang for roughly 7-8 hours. This year we stayed the shortest probably only 5 hours and that included an hour lunch at Friendly’s. We all got frustrated at the Saturday crowd and when I saw the missing games after lunch (CFTBL) and the broken ones we just kinda bailed. Please no one get offended I know you work hard I’m just sharing the impression I got. This isn’t being said to attack anyone.
    If you charged a few extra bucks to offer one day passes to the EBL we might consider it but short of that it feels like it is this place that there is no practical way for people like my family to enjoy. We won’t pay that much money for our one day stay. Maybe it isn’t aimed at us and that’s fine I guess...
    Everyone’s experience is different and I’m legitimately just trying to provide my point of view as a guy who has gone every year. Part of me says to come next year Friday and stay all day - but I’m leery of doing that if a chunk of great games remains in this EBL and I can’t buy a one day pass to it. Understand that it is a perception issue (“why are these games being kept from us”) and sometimes perceptions rule emotions no matter what the logic or math is.
    To be clear - I don’t mind reaching into my pocket but I don’t want to buy a pass for more days than I physically plan on going.
    There is my feedback

We will be discussing a limited one day Premium package. We listen and improve every year.

#516 5 years ago

This is going to get A LOT of heat - I think the Extra Ball Lounge, as it was, with the times and rules the way they were - was one of the best parts of the show. Walking into a room at noon time on Friday, with no wait on TNA, Houdini, TOTAN, and others was worth $175. If that room is full of people, 24 hours, I don't think the LE badge is worth $175. Or even $125.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

This is going to get A LOT of heat - I think the Extra Ball Lounge, as it was, with the times and rules the way they were - was one of the best parts of the show. Walking into a room at noon time on Friday, with no wait on TNA, Houdini, TOTAN, and others was worth $175. If that room is full of people, 24 hours, I don't think the LE badge is worth $175. Or even $125.

We will be tweaking the hours for premium 2 day, 4 day and may offer a one day Premium. But 24hr access will only be for the LE 4 day package limited to 100.

#518 5 years ago

I have attended the show all four years with my two teenage kids and have gone on the Friday each year. We always just get one day passes. This year after about two hours my son said to me, so what's the plan? I full knew what he meant right away. It was that the free play room was the weakest selection of games since the beginning and the few good games there were you couldn't get near. I tried to put a positive spin on it as I wanted it to be a fun day but after a while I fully agreed with him. Previous years we stayed into the early evening but this year was the earliest we ever left (3:00 pm). I have already decided that I'm out next year if all the better games are in a room that only upgraded pass holders can enter.

#519 5 years ago
    Quoted from supermatt:

I have attended the show all four years with my two teenage kids and have gone on the Friday each year. We always just get one day passes. This year after about two hours my son said to me, so what's the plan? I full knew what he meant right away. It was that the free play room was the weakest selection of games since the beginning and the few good games there were you couldn't get near. I tried to put a positive spin on it as I wanted it to be a fun day but after a while I fully agreed with him. Previous years we stayed into the early evening but this year was the earliest we ever left (3:00 pm). I have already decided that I'm out next year if all the better games are in a room that only upgraded pass holders can enter.

There is only 18 games in the limited room. Between the vendor hall and free play room we had 84 dmd games. Also games from the limited room rotated into the vendor hall each morning. Lastly all games from the limited room were put into free play on Sunday.

#520 5 years ago

I think the [blue ribbon] winners should be asked to participate in a question and answer forum in the conference center later on Saturday afternoon following the ribbons being posted on their game. I spent a good portion of the show answering questions about how I did this or how a part of the machine came out the way it did. I think it might be interesting for the show participants.

I like the suggestion for a "how I did it" session and will see where we can fit it into the seminar schedule. Having the prize drawings in the seminar room is another suggestion that is being discussed favorably among the staff.

As for why the prizes go in the order they do, here is the logic. A person can only win one cash prize; their name is held on an already-won list for the rest of the drawings of cash prizes. If we drew small cash prizes first and you won a small cash prize, and thus were eliminated from winning a large cash prize, you would feel some kind of negative emotion, rather than being happy with your cash. Those tickets are returned to the drum when merchandise prizes come up. I suppose we could do merchandise prizes first, but cash has to go in descending order.
    .................David Marston

#521 5 years ago

I'm sure nobody cares if this one jersey idiot doesn't show, but right now I feel that the "pay extra to see the whole show" routine will be enough to make me skip next year. I didn't enjoy walking past the forbidden zone the whole time and the whole concept of dividing attendees into classes is just not working for me.

#522 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

There is only 18 games in the limited room. Between the vendor hall and free play room we had 84 dmd games. Also games from the limited room rotated into the vendor hall each morning. Lastly all games from the limited room were put into free play on Sunday.

I know they were rotated in later but that doesn't make a difference if you're only there on Friday. The games in the vendor hall were also constantly mobbed probably because there wasn't that many great titles in the free play room.

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm sure nobody cares if this one jersey idiot doesn't show, but right now I feel that the "pay extra to see the whole show" routine will be enough to make me skip next year. I didn't enjoy walking past the forbidden zone the whole time and the whole concept of dividing attendees into classes is just not working for me.

I'm sorry that your thinking of not coming next year because of limited access to 18 games. Pintastic offers so much more than that. Remember I had 12 of my own awesome games in the vendor hall free play area for everyone to enjoy and they rotated in and out of the limited area.

You need to think of the EBL as a added area to the show not a deterrent to the show. Nothing has changed from last year.

#524 5 years ago

WARNING: MEGA POST AHEAD!

I had a great time at Pintastic this year, so a big thanks to Gabe and all the crew who made it possible. I think everybody is appreciative of the hard work that goes into Pintastic and we're all grateful to have a show like this in New England. It brings a lot of people together; pinheads, non pinheads, families, and that's always a good thing. In general, giving criticism is pretty easy to do but it all stems from having passion for the hobby and the desire to see a bigger and better show next year. Another job well done, and I'm already looking forward to next year! Some assorted thoughts:

I setup my Bacardi Cuba Libre game Thursday afternoon -- all the volunteer staff were helpful, accommodating and friendly. I really enjoyed seeing other people play my game. I was surprised that children played the game more than anybody else and some of them were really getting into it!

The highlight of the show, for me, was playing the new games. TNA, Houdini and Pirates especially. The MA/RI area has a pretty strong location pinball presence, so seeing some new games was a refreshing change. I do think Houdini should have been set on 2 Ball play, no Extra Ball because the ball times got to be pretty long. There wasn't enough room for an orderly queue in the Cointaker booth so it was basically a swarm of people around one machine waiting to play.

I only went to one seminar, but the overall seminar lineup was very good. Apparently I missed the flyer with the show schedule at the ticket booth because I had no reason to visit the booth, since I had a free play badge.

I'm liking the peoples choice idea for a best in show contest for cash. No categories for different eras, just 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Give each attendee one slip with their wristband that they can deposit in a box next to each entry.

I agree that the free play room was looking a little thinner this year which was surprising, based on the amount of games I saw on the website registered. It may have been that they were spread out more between the vendor hall and EB lounge. Some previous posts indicated that the room across from the seminar hall was an extension of the Free Play room. If that was the case, some better signage would be helpful because I completely missed that -- I thought it was a tournament room. Even a standup-banner saying "MORE GAMES THIS WAY! -->" would have worked.

Since I've seen a lot of uproar about the EB Lounge, I've been thinking about what a good alternative to the extra ball lounge would be. I think a Pintastic After Hours pass could work. You could offer 1, 2 and 4 day (VIP) passes for early access and extended play in the free play room and leave it at that.

I've already given my comments about the online Free Play Registration system. In summary, it could use some refinement so the FS/NFS statuses are more accurate, but as is, it's a neat tool to preview what will be at the show. I'm not sure if there was one or not, but a low tech option should still be in place for any non-tech savvy attendees. A simple dropbox next to some pads of paper listing "Game name and #: _____" and "Problem: ______" would be enough.

The auction was super cramped this year because of the change in location. Quality of the auction items was lower than last year. There were less projects and diamonds-in-the-rough which a lot of people were looking for. The format and rules were clearly explained by the auctioneers and the crew of people helping transport games to cars was much appreciated. I still like the auction because it's a fun "event", even if you don't bid. But, better quality items would help the auction tremendously.

Put the flea market out of it's misery and have those things commissioned for the auction instead. Even if they have reserves, at least there's some excitement there.

As much as I love the show's location, I really do wish the show was in a nicer venue. Having Yankee Spirits nearby is great and I love drinking a beer sitting in the back of a U-Haul when I'm tuckered out for a while. BT Smokehouse is great too (when I can find a parking spot, or even a place to stand in line). But, I always wonder about what kind of impression is made on the show's special guests when they see the state of the hotel. Yes, the bathrooms are better, but it doesn't take much observation to notice that the hotel has seen better days. On Saturday, an employee approached me unsolicited in the bathroom and starting venting to me, barely coherent and swearing, about how he was being blamed for the wet floors. It was very awkward and uncomfortable. I can only hope that the show outgrows Sturbridge and moves into a more deserving venue.

All in all, another great show! I can only imagine what new games and changes we'll see next year.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, love the A/V upgrade for all the seminars. Big props to whoever was in charge of that.

-Doug

#525 5 years ago
    Quoted from supermatt:

...great titles in the free play room...

This is, of course, a matter of taste. I consider Team One a great title, and there were two of them. But if you talk about "popular titles" then we have some solutions that were not fully implemented. We have posted signage about not hogging games, but we need more. You may have noticed some aisle numbers, part of a game-locator system that was not complete, and which is intended to have an online aspect. We need to talk to the vendors who have "popular" games in their booths. Other shows have the same issues with popular and new titles. I don't think any show has a comprehensive solution.

#526 5 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

WARNING: MEGA POST AHEAD!
    I had a great time at Pintastic this year, so a big thanks to Gabe and all the crew who made it possible. I think everybody is appreciative of the hard work that goes into Pintastic and we're all grateful to have a show like this in New England. It brings a lot of people together; pinheads, non pinheads, families, and that's always a good thing. In general, giving criticism is pretty easy to do but it all stems from having passion for the hobby and the desire to see a bigger and better show next year. Another job well done, and I'm already looking forward to next year! Some assorted thoughts:
    I setup my Bacardi Cuba Libre game Thursday afternoon -- all the volunteer staff were helpful, accommodating and friendly. I really enjoyed seeing other people play my game. I was surprised that children played the game more than anybody else and some of them were really getting into it!
    The highlight of the show, for me, was playing the new games. TNA, Houdini and Pirates especially. The MA/RI area has a pretty strong location pinball presence, so seeing some new games was a refreshing change. I do think Houdini should have been set on 2 Ball play, no Extra Ball because the ball times got to be pretty long. There wasn't enough room for an orderly queue in the Cointaker booth so it was basically a swarm of people around one machine waiting to play.
    I only went to one seminar, but the overall seminar lineup was very good. Apparently I missed the flyer with the show schedule at the ticket booth because I had no reason to visit the booth, since I had a free play badge.
    I'm liking the peoples choice idea for a best in show contest for cash. No categories for different eras, just 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Give each attendee one slip with their wristband that they can deposit in a box next to each entry.
    I agree that the free play room was looking a little thinner this year which was surprising, based on the amount of games I saw on the website registered. It may have been that they were spread out more between the vendor hall and EB lounge. Some previous posts indicated that the room across from the seminar hall was an extension of the Free Play room. If that was the case, some better signage would be helpful because I completely missed that -- I thought it was a tournament room. Even a standup-banner saying "MORE GAMES THIS WAY! -->" would have worked.
    Since I've seen a lot of uproar about the EB Lounge, I've been thinking about what a good alternative to the extra ball lounge would be. I think a Pintastic After Hours pass could work. You could offer 1, 2 and 4 day (VIP) passes for early access and extended play in the free play room and leave it at that.
    I've already given my comments about the online Free Play Registration system. In summary, it could use some refinement so the FS/NFS statuses are more accurate, but as is, it's a neat tool to preview what will be at the show. I'm not sure if there was one or not, but a low tech option should still be in place for any non-tech savvy attendees. A simple dropbox next to some pads of paper listing "Game name and #: ____" and "Problem: _____" would be enough.
    The auction was super cramped this year because of the change in location. Quality of the auction items was lower than last year. There were less projects and diamonds-in-the-rough which a lot of people were looking for. The format and rules were clearly explained by the auctioneers and the crew of people helping transport games to cars was much appreciated. I still like the auction because it's a fun "event", even if you don't bid. But, better quality items would help the auction tremendously.
    Put the flea market out of it's misery and have those things commissioned for the auction instead. Even if they have reserves, at least there's some excitement there.
    As much as I love the show's location, I really do wish the show was in a nicer venue. Having Yankee Spirits nearby is great and I love drinking a beer sitting in the back of a U-Haul when I'm tuckered out for a while. BT Smokehouse is great too (when I can find a parking spot, or even a place to stand in line). But, I always wonder about what kind of impression is made on the show's special guests when they see the state of the hotel. Yes, the bathrooms are better, but it doesn't take much observation to notice that the hotel has seen better days. On Saturday, an employee approached me unsolicited in the bathroom and starting venting to me, barely coherent and swearing, about how he was being blamed for the wet floors. It was very awkward and uncomfortable. I can only hope that the show outgrows Sturbridge and moves into a more deserving venue.
    All in all, another great show! I can only imagine what new games and changes we'll see next year.
    -Doug

No offense, but the physical location is fine, AC issues non-withstanding of course. Ask the ex-BW/Midway guys in attendance what those offices and factory looked like back in the day.

#527 5 years ago

Regarding location: it is what it is. It’s not 5-Star, but it’s a nice location. It has a huge area for the vendor hall. I’m sure it also costs less than booking the conference hall of a 5-Star hotel. Ticket prices would go up quite a bit, I would assume.

#528 5 years ago
    Quoted from La_Porta:

Regarding location: it is what it is. It’s not 5-Star, but it’s a nice location. It has a huge area for the vendor hall. I’m sure it also costs less than booking the conference hall of a 5-Star hotel. Ticket prices would go up quite a bit, I would assume.

Yes price is a big factor

But the biggest few things are.

Great area
    Great access from all east coast.
    They over look a lot of things that would not be aloud at a 5 star hotel or expo center.

That's just a few reasons but you get the idea.

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

Apparently I missed the flyer with the show schedule at the ticket booth because I had no reason to visit the booth, since I had a free play badge.

We had show schedule flyers at the Free Play Registration desk also. As you saw, we changed the configuration of that desk during the course of the show, and the teams involved are inclined to retain and improve the new configuration. There is a lot of contention for that foyer, so it will be subject to detailed planning. We will take this bit of feedback into account.

Quoted from halflip87:

Some previous posts indicated that the room across from the seminar hall was an extension of the Free Play room. If that was the case, some better signage would be helpful...

This is another area that we have noted. If SNHPC (or another club) wants to do this again, we'll need to have clearer signage.

Quoted from halflip87:

I'm not sure if there was one or not, but a low tech option should still be in place for any non-tech savvy attendees. A simple dropbox next to some pads of paper listing "Game name and #: ____" and "Problem: _____" would be enough.

Some people used the whiteboard at the Repair Station, which was definitely unofficial. We do have the paper repair tickets, as we had in 2017, but we push the online system because it saves on data entry. We have plans for a more visible system of trouble reporting next year, and there will be low-tech reporting methods available. Rest assured that when we discuss these systems among the staff, there is always someone to advocate for the tech-averse people.

I expect that People's Choice voting will be the same way: online voting for most, but a paper ballot option for those who want to vote that way. (Then some volunteer will have to enter the paper ballots into the system.) I can see a need for a handout or more signage on this, too.

General theme: we have more and do more than many people realize. We get frustrated when someone says,"Why don't you have X," and we actually had it! We will keep addressing these awareness/visibility issues.

#530 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Yes price is a big factor
    But the biggest few things are.
    Great area
    Great access from all east coast.
    They over look a lot of things that would not be aloud at a 5 star hotel or expo center.
    That's just a few reasons but you get the idea.

I do also like how easily accessible it is. I can't imagine driving into a show in say, Boston for example where parking sucks and it takes an hour to even move. Sturbridge is easy in, easy out. At the end of the day, the show is about the games more than anything else, regardless of what the venue is like.

-Doug

#531 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

If we drew small cash prizes first and you won a small cash prize, and thus were eliminated from winning a large cash prize, you would feel some kind of negative emotion, rather than being happy with your cash.

Really? Not I. I think anyone who wins $100, and feels cheated is just plain greedy.

#532 5 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

I do also like how easily accessible it is. I can't imagine driving into a show in say, Boston for example where parking sucks and it takes an hour to even move. Sturbridge is easy in, easy out. At the end of the day, the show is about the games more than anything else, regardless of what the venue is like.
    -Doug

I agree, and Gabe hears a fair share of grumblings about the hotel itself.

Look, you can't please everyone, I stay at the Polynesian at Disney World every year, stayed at a lot of their top hotels and suites and I stay on site at Pintastic, and you don't hear me complaining. You couldn't ask for a better overall site in Massachusetts, the site is spot on. Very little sleep goes on anyways.

#533 5 years ago

I love the EBL the exact way it is. May encourage a few people to bring a game next year. And the room was WAYYY out of the way from the general events which is perfect as well. Maybe fool with the hours a little but otherwise it was a nice addition. There SHOULD be a special room for people who bring games, vips, etc.

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I love the EBL the exact way it is. May encourage a few people to bring a game next year. And the room was WAYYY out of the way from the general events which is perfect as well. Maybe fool with the hours a little but otherwise it was a nice addition. There SHOULD be a special room for people who bring games, vips, etc.

How exactly does it encourage anyone to bring a game?

#535 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Less potential abuse from the general public? More of a private setting to enjoy and actually have a chance at hearing the games you're playing?

#536 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Bring your Space Odyssey next year. Boom, you have access.

#537 5 years ago

...or the potential to hear Dracula in person instead of through the walls

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Aaaah, yes if they changed that aspect.

#539 5 years ago
    Quoted from La_Porta:

...or the potential to hear Dracula in person instead of through the walls

There was a Dracula in the freeplay room Thursday and Friday.

#540 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I thought that wasn't how it worked?

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There was a Dracula in the freeplay room Thursday and Friday.

it was a joke...Dracula was what made the incredible booming noises audible outside the EBL.

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I thought that wasn't how it worked?

I thought game bringers got access after 10pm this year, maybe I'm wrong?

#543 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

You couldn't ask for a better overall site in Massachusetts, the site is spot on. Very little sleep goes on anyways.

You said it! I logged a grand total of about 11 hours over the 3 nights. Let's just say I made excellent use of my LE badge.

That said, my room was perfectly fine, the AC worked great and we even spent a little time out at the beach. It was a short walk to the liquor store when I realized I'd forgotten my Scotch and the hot dogs next to it were good. Can't ask for much more in my book.

#544 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I thought game bringers got access after 10pm this year, maybe I'm wrong?

Game bringers had access after 10pm this year. Next year the hours will be adjusted. You could gane 24hr access with points you get for bringing more games this year. We had 2 game bringers do it. They were happy.

#545 5 years ago
    Quoted from La_Porta:

it was a joke...Dracula was what made the incredible booming noises audible outside the EBL.

I was in the restaurant, and I thought it was thunder!

#546 5 years ago

If anyone wants to see how this rambling of happy and miserable people ends just go to last years thread....or the year before....same thing every year.

Can't make everyone happy and if you can't be happy at this show you aren't trying hard enough.

#547 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryandimx:

If anyone wants to see how this rambling of happy and miserable people ends just go to last years thread....or the year before....same thing every year.
    Can't make everyone happy and if you can't be happy at this show you aren't trying hard enough.

You must've read my mind...I was just going to post a question as to whether there was this much dissention in past shows. I've been to all 3 and honestly don't notice (or care) about cold rooms, hot rooms, stinky people, premium lounges or machine-bashers. I go to have fun and enjoy the show. Believe it or not, there are actually people who can never be satisfied and seek out the negative in anything. This forum has it's share but I think people tend to tune them out-at least I do.
    Accolades for the founders and volunteers of this event. Is it flawless? Nope. Will I attend future shows? Yep. Short of having the place becoming infested with roaches and bedbugs, there's no reason to stay away.

#548 5 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

You must've read my mind...I was just going to post a question as to whether there was this much dissention in past shows. I've been to all 3 and honestly don't notice (or care) about cold rooms, hot rooms, stinky people, premium lounges or machine-bashers. I go to have fun and enjoy the show. Believe it or not, there are actually people who can never be satisfied and seek out the negative in anything. This forum has it's share but I think people tend to tune them out-at least I do.
    Accolades for the founders and volunteers of this event. Is it flawless? Nope. Will I attend future shows? Yep. Short of having the place becoming infested with roaches and bedbugs, there's no reason to stay away.

People complaining about only 84 DMDs? They missed an incredible and rare Time Fantasy, Deadly Weapon, Robocop, Doodle Bug, Radical, Firepower, etc.

The history (and fun) of pinball didn't begin with DMDs

#549 5 years ago

Where was Captain Pintastic? I wanted another picture with him this year

#550 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Gabe, no disrespect but I believe you are making my point. If there are "only 18 games" in the limited room, why exclude them? Or if you want to limit it at certain times, fine. Again, games being rotated in each morning doesnt mean much to someone that is there only on Friday. Which games got rotated from the limited room on Friday morning? Just curious.

There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-2018-sturbridge-massachusetts-buy-sell-trade-and-beyond/page/11?hl=ryandimx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.