(Topic ID: 216316)

OFFICIAL PINTASTIC 2018- Sturbridge, Massachusetts- Buy, Sell, trade and beyond

By shacklersrevenge

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1719 (resized).JPG
    2018-07-07 20.32.47 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180703_195305 (resized).jpg
    5A3BAA1A-25F3-487E-9454-57E8857D7778 (resized).jpeg
    marinehorn02.jpg
    onemillion (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Lost In Space entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show late 80s BK2K head (resized).jpg
    Best In Show late 80s BK2K entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power head and owner (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Early 80s Fire Power entire game (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Custom Lost in Space Head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit playfield (resized).jpg
    Best in Show Antique Mills Exhibit entire (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar head (resized).jpg
    Best in Show 1970s SS Gorgar entire game (resized).jpg
    There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.
    #451 5 years ago
    Quoted from mudflap:

We were short on volunteers and I had my 15 yo son watch the door. We had a brief delay on 10PM entry on day because he lost track of time. Hence why I gave him a radio. A small group of guests approached me and it was quickly corrected.

Thank you for all your help, and your son's at the show.

#452 5 years ago

I just wanted to shout out to all the show organizers for an excellent show. Having arrived early on Friday I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of games I was able to experience. I did come down around 0400 on Saturday morning to the EBL and was able to play all I wanted including on Pirates, Maiden, TNA, and Houdini. I especially want to thank Eric for all his help. Your WCS looks great in my game room. Thank you everyone and all the volunteers at the show. Thank you also to all the folks that brought in the games. It's such a pleasure to have a quality show within reasonable driving distance! Thanks again!

#453 5 years ago

Second year at Pintastic and I'm already looking forward to next year. I really need to figure out a way to be there for 2 nights. Sounds like Friday was a blast and I missed Jersey Jack for the second year...Damn!
    Everything was great. Brought my wife, son, uncle and his wife and just had an awesome time. My son took home FIRST PLACE in the kids 4-7 tournament on the Flintstones scoring 352,518,200 points. It was his very first tournament and he did it with the pressure of being the first kid to play with about two dozen other kids behind him watching. I think I was more excited then he was.
    Vermont and the PINBALL COOP represented strong with at least a dozen or so players and members I can think of. Big shout out to Gary, Vinny, Bill, Tim, Dave, and Adam for having a blast in the American Pinball Warrior tournament on Saturday night. What a ton of fun.
    Just a fantastic time. The people were great. The speakers were awesome. Vendors super kind. And hosts were wonderful.
    Cant thank everyone who had a hand in helping enough, especially to the folks who brought there games. We truly appreciate it.

NOW LETS GET PUMPED FOR SARATOGA!!!! GO FORCE FLOW.

Thanks
    Blake

#454 5 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Any pics? I’m itching to see this thing. Behind a velvet rope?

Buy a $95 VIP pass and you could have seen it.

#455 5 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Buy a $95 VIP pass and you could have seen it.

south_park___captain_hindsight-wallpaper-640x480 (resized).jpgsouth_park___captain_hindsight-wallpaper-640x480 (resized).jpg
    #456 5 years ago

Maybe for another $10 you could have taken a picture with it..... hmmm... idea for next year's show?

#457 5 years ago

The Getaway I restored was in Freeplay Sunday. I spent a lot of time restoring it, and did the same amount of work as everyone else getting my machines to the show. I could give a damn if it didn't win a ribbon. I just wanted to know why it was immediately disqualified by Dr Dave, when Gabe told me all areas were to be judged. That is why I was disappointed. Todd Tuckey filmed the machine, so I'm sure in a few weeks it will be on their YouTube channel. You guys can pick it apart there, for everyone else, it played non stop from Wed through Sunday morning. It got close to 600 plays on it. Finally the game quit Sunday morning because the lower right flipper bat snapped.

#458 5 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

The absolute Monopoly that one person has on judging Best in Show games 4 pintastic is almost sickening. Bundy had games there that blew away games which were given blue ribbons. All Games should have been considered and I will recommend to Gabe that we go to some sort of electronic voting system. Put the power in the people's hands

Guys there is no monopoly. The judges are a team of 4 people that spend hours going over every machine. If you are not happy with the results why not sign up to volunteer and ask to be considered for the BIS judging team. We had trouble getting 4 this year.

#459 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Guys there is no monopoly. The judges are a team of 4 people that spend hours going over every machine. If you are not happy with the results why not sign up to volunteer and ask to be considered for the BIS judging team.

there are several who are going to be inquiring about just that. James (shaklersrevenge) has mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Thanks
    Blake

#460 5 years ago

What a show!

Had an awesome time, met so many cool people, and saw plenty of familiar faces.

Got to play on Cactus Canyon for the very first time!

Had the opportunity to play in the tournament, and advanced to round 2!

Picked up lots of parts from Mayfair!

Had the pleasure of meeting Allan Davidson, and am very happy and thankful he did wonderful board work and diagnostics for me. I also was able to play his Lexy Lightspeed - what a cool game!

Hung out in the Extra Ball lounge and got to get in some four player games with some of the best players around!

Didn't bring home a game, nothing spoke to me except a Kings of Steel which was firm at $850.

Thank you to all volunteers and show organizers, what a great time!

#461 5 years ago

Gabe,
    Thanks for your time and effort you spent into making this event happen. As with any event or offering, you will NEVER please everyone. These Pintastic events will only improve as you move forward.
    Many thanks!

#462 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Rest assured, the jersey idiots will be bringing those horns to every future show so get used to that

LOL, so horns at a pinball show is a thing now. This will get interesting for sure in the future...

#463 5 years ago

It's amazing how some pinball guys take themselves so seriously. This is pinball, not MMA . If you can't have some harmless fun and loosen up at a friggin pinball show of all places, I can just imagine how you get thru life. I could never get by walking around with a stick up my ass in this world. I guess I have always assumed if we're in this hobby, we can all laugh at ourselves.

#464 5 years ago

First we are a team of judges with years of restoration experience. We each are assigned an era to focus on then come to a consensus on which games will win that division's ribbon. Judging ended at 2PM Saturday so the vast amount of freeplay play patrons could see the ribbons adorned on the games that won.

Secondly there was a misinfo to our team about games in that EBL room being considered. There were several 90's games that were very close to winning including that Cactus Canyon and that Revenge from Mars pin2000. If yours was deemed allowed from the get go, sure it would be right up there in the top 4.

My team has no axe to grind here and we do not play favorites. And I personally have nothing against you Eric. I have never met you.
    Wish we knew ahead of time that that room was in Best in Show scope as there were several nice games in there including yours that we would have at the very least considered.

Quoted from eabundy:

The Getaway I restored was in Freeplay Sunday. I spent a lot of time restoring it, and did the same amount of work as everyone else getting my machines to the show. I could give a damn if it didn't win a ribbon. I just wanted to know why it was immediately disqualified by Dr Dave, when Gabe told me all areas were to be judged. That is why I was disappointed. Todd Tuckey filmed the machine, so I'm sure in a few weeks it will be on their YouTube channel. You guys can pick it apart there, for everyone else, it played non stop from Wed through Sunday morning. It got close to 600 plays on it. Finally the game quit Sunday morning because the lower right flipper bat snapped.

#465 5 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

The Getaway I restored was in Freeplay Sunday.

That was hands-down the most fun machine I played the whole time I was there. I played about 10 games in a row on it when it was in the VIP lounge. Amazing job, if I was in the market for another at this point, I would have made you an offer in a second. An absolute blast and a wonderful job. Hats off to you!

#466 5 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

I would have told you no as well

Is that before or after you stop having a temper tantrum that you were not recognized for your pins.

You should ask Shackler to help drag that 2400 dollar radical to another show so you so you don’t get a hernia after two shows and no flip. Maybe you need a horn for that one to draw attention to it.

#467 5 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Is that before or after you stop having a temper tantrum that you were not recognized for your pins.
    You should ask Shackler to help drag that 2400 dollar radical to another show so you so you don’t get a hernia after two shows and no flip. Maybe you need a horn for that one to draw attention to it.

Radical- Is that before or after YOU said you’d buy it from me and committed at my price then backed out of the deal because of “Easter plans” ?

What a sour puss, don’t you have another lonely thread to pump? Hitchike on out of this thread Shlock until you’ve cooled off.

#468 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Radical- Is that before or after YOU said you’d buy it from me and committed at my price then backed out of the deal because of “Easter plans” ?
    What a sour puss, don’t you have another lonely thread to pump? Hitchike on out of this thread Shlock until you’ve cooled off.

and the cat..... is out of the bag. MMEEEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Thanks
    Blake

#469 5 years ago

hey if that radical was 2400 i will take it - i don't recall seeing a price on it - i had a blast playing it - i haven't owned one in a good 10 years and forgot how good it is. thnaks ed

#470 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

and the cat..... is out of the bag. MMEEEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
    Thanks
    Blake

No, he’s just bitter. Why should anyone have to put up with someone else’s crap? I’ve always been polite with him, we go back to the RGP days, always took a minute to shake his hand at shows and shoot a few words. He’s been bitter since I didn’t come down on my Radical price for him, bitter since this thread was started because he apparently had one, and the bitterness carried over to this show as he turned away from the normal handshake to instead blow a car horn in me and my friends face.
    Whatever,
    Adios, Cowboy.

#471 5 years ago

No, he’s just bitter. Why should anyone have to put up with someone else’s crap? I’ve always been polite with him, we go back to the RGP days, always took a minute to shake his hand at shows and shoot a few words. He’s been bitter since I didn’t come down on my Radical price for him, bitter since this thread was started because he apparently had one, and the bitterness carried over to this show as he turned away from the normal handshake to instead blow a car horn in me and my friends face.
    Whatever,
    Adios, Cowboy.

I do recall the hate towards this thread being started. Not sure what everyone else thinks but i thought the pulse for private sales at pintastic was in this thread. I couldn't believe how many people were active in the buying and selling process for Pintastic and the conduit in many ways was this thread. Deals galore!!!
    Looks like you have someone interested in the Radical though so good luck!

Thanks
    Blake

#472 5 years ago

Shack you are delusional. I never not shook your hand. Nor did you walk over to me. We were tailgating and I said hi and blew a horn outdoors which for some reason you can’t deal with. Though others came over and asked to blow the horn and have fun, yes fun at a pinball show. Wooo fun. Whatever.

I had second thoughts at 3900 on that(Radical) game, which was pre Bundy and whatever LED’s and other polish he did. I did not feel your decscription was accurate( including perfect playfield and it had bubbling Mylar all over) You sold it to Bundy for less. All is fair. It’s been to two shows and I was able to actually see it In person and feel I made the right choice and did not sell. It did not play great and at 3500 was obviously priced too high because it went home at a show where people were desperate to buy. Let’s not air our private deals like a little school girl. You are above that. I was respectful and changed my mind witnin 24 hours of us discussing the sale and you FINALLY sending some pics that showed an accurate view of the pin and not just saying trust me it’s mint.

You have since sold the pin but yet still harbor resentment that your were not able to fleeece me and are in flippers suite with Bundy defending him and acting so upset. Get over it. You sold the pin and made a tidy profit after your sob story and was called out on Pinside for eBay flipping. Personally it’s none of your business any longer what pins I look at you stalker. I’m glad you are watching me play pinball. Please stop you are creeping me out. I don’t interfere with your flipper business and would prefer you move on.

#473 5 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Shack you are delusional. I never not shook your hand. Nor did you walk over to me. We were tailgating and I said hi and blew a horn outdoors which for some reason you can’t deal with. Though others came over and asked to blow the horn and have fun, yes fun at a pinball show. Wooo fun. Whatever.
    I had second thoughts at 3900 on that(Radical) game, which was pre Bundy and whatever LED’s and other polish he did. I did not feel your decscription was accurate( including perfect playfield and it had bubbling Mylar all over) You sold it to Bundy for less. All is fair. It’s been to two shows and I was able to actually see it In person and feel I made the right choice and did not sell. It did not play great and at 3500 was obviously priced too high because it went home at a show where people were desperate to buy. Let’s not air our private deals like a little school girl. You are above that. I was respectful and changed my mind witnin 24 hours of us discussing the sale and you FINALLY sending some pics that showed an accurate view of the pin and not just saying trust me it’s mint.
    You have since sold the pin but yet still harbor resentment that your were not able to fleeece me and are in flippers suite with Bundy defending him and acting so upset. Get over it. You sold the pin and made a tidy profit after your sob story and was called out on Pinside for eBay flipping. Personally it’s none of your business any longer what pins I look at you stalker. I’m glad you are watching me play pinball. Please stop you are creeping me out. I don’t interfere with your flipper business and would prefer you move on.

Half truth mess, Shlock and you know it, I’m not even going to dignify the wrong half of it.

And don’t flatter yourself, please. Nobody is watching you play pinball, nobody cares about what’s in your shoulder handbag either.
    Stalker? Sticks and stones, love. It’s as if you expect nobody wil look out the window as the Circus rolls through town.

If you prefer I move on, then you’re free to walk out that door, I haven’t been in your thread in ages, let alone post in it, but my friends and I are not a personal punching bag for your obvious insecurities.

Be well, remember?

#474 5 years ago

Pinball turf battle. LMAO!

#475 5 years ago

So........ how about those Mets?

#476 5 years ago

Had an absolute blast at Pintastic. Met some really great people, played some really great games, and drank some really overpriced beer. I brought my wife and daughter. My wife claims to have had a really good time and my daughter loved the pool, face painting, and balloon artist. Did not pay to enter the EBL although next year I certainly will. Thanks again to all who organized and brought games.

#477 5 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

Yes asking 2900. Haven't put the sign up on it yet

Did you end up selling it?

#478 5 years ago
    Quoted from epeabs:

This was my first pintastic and I had a blast. Everything and anything pinball. Thanks to everyone who organized this and volunteered throughout the entire show. I was able to bring my rollergames for freeplay. Which I did end up selling Friday morning but the new owner kept it on the floor at least for a very good portion of Saturday. I ended up buying another game and due to family constraints with a holiday weekend, had to leave by late morning Saturday with it. I did pay an early removal fee of $35 which I had no issue with paying due to the fact that I did have to leave early. All in all as far as I'm concerned it was a great experience.

That rollergames was in amazing shape. Nice work!! I was seriously considering making the pitch to my wife on Friday to buy it but that other guy beat me to it!

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

The Getaway I restored.... It got close to 600 plays on it. Finally the game quit Sunday morning because the lower right flipper bat snapped.

Wow..... That's as many plays in only a few days as an imamaculate Baywatch gets in 12 years!

#480 5 years ago

Frank and I so much enjoyed this show...we each signed dozens and dozens of autograph cards, and met lots of first time to a show people, including children! The seminar went great (will be a separate video posted soon) and the separate regular 2 hour video of the show and the auction too! The surprise hit game at the show for me was the new Total Nuclear Annihilation. Its just terrific---I only got to play it late Friday night and just loved it...I filmed quite a bit of it for you to see in the long video going up in a couple weeks. Please watch now the live YouTube 45 minute video I made walking around on Friday late afternoon...its unedited and a continuous shot Frank filmed for me on my trusty cellphone. As the Wi-Fi in the building varies, the video quality varies...but it at least gets the jist of this fun show! The video is already up to 7 thumbs down--probably my usual loser subscribers stuck at home in the basement of Mom and Dad's basement, unemployed and overweight, waiting for Mom to tell him their Hot Pockets are ready!
    But at least Frank and I had a great time--and so many others did too!

#481 5 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Wow..... That's as many plays in only a few days as an imamaculate Baywatch gets in 12 years!

My games in the EBL got average 700 plays. The ones in the vendor hall average 900 plays. But that what makes Pintastic a great show. Having nice games for people to play not only makes for a better experience but brings more people into this great hobby we all love. I had multiple people come up to me this weekend saying they bought there first machine at pintastic and now they have 5 machines. They also said they put 2 machines in free play for people to enjoy. It made them feel great seeing others enjoy pinball love is catching on.

#482 5 years ago
    Quoted from halflip87:

I thought the online game list was a neat idea, it made it easy to see what games would be there and if they were for sale or not. Defaulitng the registered games to Not For Sale caused for some confusion though. Next year, I'd suggest simply making it a mandatory selection when you register. Force the user to actively answer "For Sale?" Yes or No during registration. If yes, different options for pricing in addition to the text box for Price. Maybe add a "Make Offer" or "...Firm" or "...Or Best Offer". My game defaulted to Not For Sale because the text box on the website didn't support non-numerical text.

-Doug

Great suggestion, Doug! I know Andy has ideas that are very compatible with this. Maybe we'll have more of those hover-able hints, too. I think your example of the game having a numeric field and a text field combined gives great flexibility, but we may be more limited in the online game list, like showing only the numeric field. I have some ideas that Andy and I will talk over, and we might contact you for some trial-balloon exercises.
    .................David Marston

#483 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Setting up and tearing down games around a crowd is a nightmare. Maybe you could rope off a game exit lane or something?

We had a plan for a variation of that idea. That's why we asked each game-bringer whether they wanted to keep the game in through Sunday. I think we didn't have enough volunteers for the Sunday 6:00 to 10:00 AM time slot to do exactly what we hoped, but the full front line on Sunday was a good first attempt. All shows that aren't centered around a single collection (like Banning and ReplayFX) have some issues with games being set up or torn down adjacent to games being played. We have the necessary data fields in our software, we have a theory about what we can do in that room, now we need to move on to full implementation.

#484 5 years ago

If Pintastic wants to get real about the best in show category they need to offer serious cash prizes. Nobody cares about a ribbon. There are a ton of talented restorers in New England and beyond but no one is going to put a 100+ hour restoration into the free play area. Yes, the velvet ropes are what is needed if you want a true "concours" type competition. I truly hope this segment of the show evolves. It is currently only a farce but it could become a main attraction if managed properly.

#485 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

If Pintastic wants to get real about the best in show category they need to offer serious cash prizes. Nobody cares about a ribbon. There are a ton of talented restorers in New England and beyond but no one is going to put a 100+ hour restoration into the free play area. Yes, the velvet ropes are what is needed if you want a true "concours" type competition. I truly hope this segment of the show evolves. It is currently only a farce but it could become a main attraction if managed properly.

Well, I mean....I liked my ribbon!

#486 5 years ago

Were you there Mike? Farce is a bit strong don't you think especially since I believe you didn't go to the show?
    The best in show team have years of restoration experience and know what they are looking at and playing/play testing.
    Instead of complaining, perhaps you want to donate your time like we have and apply to join our team?

As for cash prizes: You think the drama is high now, wait until there is cash involved. Had a great conversation with Bill Morrison of TPF Best in Show as he is a director of that one.

#487 5 years ago

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as perhaps you didn't read thread #10 of this thread before commenting:

To re-iterate:

"First we are a team of judges with years of restoration experience. We each are assigned an era to focus on then come to a consensus on which games will win that division's ribbon. Judging ended at 2PM Saturday so the vast amount of freeplay play patrons could see the ribbons adorned on the games that won.

Secondly there was a misinfo to our team about games in that EBL room being considered. There were several 90's games that were very close to winning including that Cactus Canyon and that Revenge from Mars pin2000. If yours was deemed allowed from the get go, sure it would be right up there in the top 4.

My team has no axe to grind here and we do not play favorites. And I personally have nothing against you Eric. I have never met you.
    Wish we knew ahead of time that that room was in Best in Show scope as there were several nice games in there including yours that we would have at the very least considered."

#488 5 years ago

Best in Show Winners:

ANTIQUE 1932 MILLS OFFICIAL BOB THURMAN
    1960'S KINGS AND QUEENS DAVE METRANDO
    1970'S EM TEAM ONE DAVE METRANDO
    1970'S SS GORGAR KEN RIZZITANO honorable mention: Evel Kneivel (Brain Hawkins), Harlem Globe Trotters (restored by guys that brought this and the restored Genie)
    EARLY 80'S FIREPOWER JOHN-ROBERT LAPORTA Honorable mention: Medusa Ken Rizzitiano (His game went down early because he forgot to set on freeplay and a tech mess'd it up.)
    LATE 80'S BLACK KNIGHT 2000 NICHOLAS MANIATIS Honorable mention: Gottlieb VEGAS
    1990'S STAR GATE GREG ROEHL honorable mention: Cactus Canyon, Revenge from Mars pin2000, High Speed 2 the getaway (Eric Bundy)
    CUSTOM LOST IN SPACE '65 RETHEME OF THE 1990'S MOVIE THEMED SEGA PINBALL BRIAN HAWKINS Honorable mention: Moe, Gremlins, Ash vs Evil Dead

Best In Show late 80s BK2K entire game (resized).jpgBest In Show late 80s BK2K entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 1970s SS Gorgar entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 1970s SS Gorgar entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 1970s SS Gorgar head (resized).jpgBest in Show 1970s SS Gorgar head (resized).jpgBest in Show 60s Kings and Queens head (resized).jpgBest in Show 60s Kings and Queens head (resized).jpgBest in Show 70s EM Team One head (resized).jpgBest in Show 70s EM Team One head (resized).jpgBest in Show 70s EM entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 70s EM entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 90s Stargate entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 90s Stargate entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show 90s Stargate head (resized).jpgBest in Show 90s Stargate head (resized).jpgBest in Show Antique Mills Exhibit entire (resized).jpgBest in Show Antique Mills Exhibit entire (resized).jpgBest in Show Antique Mills Exhibit playfield (resized).jpgBest in Show Antique Mills Exhibit playfield (resized).jpgBest in Show Custom Lost in Space Head (resized).jpgBest in Show Custom Lost in Space Head (resized).jpgBest in Show Early 80s Fire Power entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show Early 80s Fire Power entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show Early 80s Fire Power head and owner (resized).jpgBest in Show Early 80s Fire Power head and owner (resized).jpgBest in Show Lost In Space entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show Lost In Space entire game (resized).jpgBest in Show late 80s BK2K head (resized).jpgBest in Show late 80s BK2K head (resized).jpgBest in show 60s Kings and Queens entire game (resized).jpgBest in show 60s Kings and Queens entire game (resized).jpg
    #489 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:[erics getaway] should have been behind a velvet rope, that’s how nice it was.

Quoted from gac:

Maybe for another $10 you could have taken a picture with it.....

complimentary at binions horseshoe

onemillion (resized).jpgonemillion (resized).jpg
    #490 5 years ago

The clown puking awards are just right in there with the normal awards?

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from eabundy:

so horns at a pinball show is a thing now. This will get interesting for sure in the future...

especially if people start bringing these

marinehorn02.jpgmarinehorn02.jpg

#492 5 years ago

Gee Dave, Thanks, give me the benefit of the doubt by downvoting my post and not allowing someone else an opinion. Maybe if the show judged ALL the pins and didn't exclude Eric Bundys other restorers would be interested in showing. There is obviously huge room to improve on the Pintastic restoration competition. Right now farce sums it up and until it becomes a worthwhile competition talented restorers won't waste their time. Kudos to those that made the effort and brought restorations but until judging becomes fair and all are included on a level playing field it is not a true competition.

#493 5 years ago

Gee Dave, Thanks, give me the benefit of the doubt by downvoting my post and not allowing someone else an opinion. Maybe if the show judged ALL the pins and didn't exclude Eric Bundys other restorers would be interested in showing. There is obviously huge room to improve on the Pintastic restoration competition. Right now farce sums it up and until it becomes a worthwhile competition talented restorers won't waste their time. Kudos to those that made the effort and brought restorations but until judging becomes fair and all are included on a level playing field it is not a true competition.

Mike it was an over site on my part about Eric's Getaway not being included in the competition. Eric asked me if he could put the Getaway in the EBL and said he wanted it to be considered for best in show contest. I take full responsibility for the screw up and we will be more clear next year about the rules. We will also be doing a "people choice award" for best in show were you can cast your vote via the QR code on the game card. I will be offering up a prize for this. Not sure what yet but it will be worth while.

Unfortunately Pintastic is not a museum and part of the scoring is how well the game plays. So with that said maybe we should rename the competition to "Best all around playable, stupendous, kick ass pinball machine contest"

#494 5 years ago

I have an idea for the Best Restoration Competition, not sure if it's been mentioned before. Keep the pins in a separate area with an attendant. Charge a fee for these games, $1 or $2 per play, maybe a flat rate for the row and a vote. Peoples choice, winner gets the cash charged to play. This would drastically reduce the wear on the games, hopefully a couple hundred plays instead of 900, and also generate it's own prize money. Also, the attendant could watch for people misbehaving and rage tilting. This area wouldn't, and probably shouldn't be open at 2 in the morning, maybe vendor hall hours.

#495 5 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

As for cash prizes: You think the drama is high now, wait until there is cash involved.

Well put!!! LOL

#496 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Mike it was an over site on my part about Eric's Getaway not being included in the competition. Eric asked me if he could put the Getaway in the EBL and said he wanted it to be considered for best in show contest. I take full responsibility for the screw up and we will be more clear next year about the rules. We will also be doing a "people choice award" for best in show were you can cast your vote via the QR code on the game card. I will be offering up a prize for this. Not sure what yet but it will be worth while.
    Unfortunately Pintastic is not a museum and part of the scoring is how well the game plays. So with that said maybe we should rename the competition to "Best all around playable, stupendous, kick ass pinball machine contest"

Great job on the show, it was awesome!

Best thing happening in this thread is the fact that you just said “next year”! Can’t wait!!

#497 5 years ago

Next year = June 27-30, 2019, at the same place.

Those who were around for the first show in 2015 will recall that we attempted to have a Restoration Throwdown contest with "serious" prizes and did not really get any participation. We had the separate room with special hours, etc.

People's Choice is now so easy to implement because we have the game-bringer system. I have an idea for how to avoid ballot-box stuffing, too.

#498 5 years ago

I love the Monday after because I get to install the goodies I bought. This year it’s mirror blades from Cointaker and a couple special blades from PinGraffix.

5A3BAA1A-25F3-487E-9454-57E8857D7778 (resized).jpeg5A3BAA1A-25F3-487E-9454-57E8857D7778 (resized).jpeg

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Well said Gabe, thanks for clarifying. I'd like to extend my thanks to you as well for putting the show together, it's a huge task.

If the restoration competition does evolve I would be glad to bring machines in the future. I'm sure you understand that a restorer can't realistically put a 100+ hour restoration in the free play area. Machines should be judged with the glass off and the playfield up as well as being judged on playability and the quality of the restoration. People who go to an automotive concours don't expect to be able to drive the cars in the show so collectors at Pintastic should be able to understand and enjoy a true CQ restoration without playing them and leave that to the judges.

#500 5 years ago

Well said Gabe, thanks for clarifying. I'd like to extend my thanks to you as well for putting the show together, it's a huge task.
    If the restoration competition does evolve I would be glad to bring machines in the future. I'm sure you understand that a restorer can't realistically put a 100+ hour restoration in the free play area. Machines should be judged with the glass off and the playfield up as well as being judged on playability and the quality of the restoration. People who go to an automotive concours don't expect to be able to drive the cars in the show so collectors at Pintastic should be able to understand and enjoy a true CQ restoration without playing them and leave that to the judges.

Yes I agree the type of restorations you do would not be fairly judged in this type of compation. Hope you can make it next year and maybe even bring a few games again for free play as well as volenteer for the repair team. God knows they need all the help they can get.

There are 670 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pintastic-2018-sturbridge-massachusetts-buy-sell-trade-and-beyond/page/10?hl=knoler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.