Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinsurance?!?”

• I have some sort of pinball insurance policy under my homeowners 16 votes
      50%
    • I insure them under my business 1 vote
      3%
    • My double sump pump battery back up is my insurance! 3 votes
      9%
    • I just let it ride and let the chips fall! 12 votes
      38%

(Multiple choice - 32 votes by 30 Pinsiders)

#1 2 years ago

So back when I got my first NIB in my home I looked into insuring it but only came up with a crappy sump pump back up policy that would've only covered maybe my flooring not a game so I think I canceled it 6 months later. However seeing pictures in the game room threads of games on top of desks was making my stomach churn. Just looking for feedback from the community on how ppl protect there home/routed games if at all? We all know the values aren't going down on them unless..so how about it?

#2 2 years ago

I didn’t select an option. I have a completely separate policy. It’s around $750 a year for 16 games valued at around 50k.

All I had to do was make up values, send pictures and serial numbers if I could find them. If it was a game I bought NIB, I sent a copy of my invoice too.

For Pincinnati we do not have any games owned by the company, we simply have liability coverage if anything were to happen at the event.

#3 2 years ago

I checked my State Farm homeowners policy and couldn’t find any exclusions that applied to pinball machines or similar gaming machines. Also didn’t see any supplemental riders available that would apply like they have for computers, guns and jewelry. And asked an agent for a former insurer a few years ago and they didn’t see a reason they wouldn’t be covered under the standard policy. Am I missing something?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I checked my State Farm homeowners policy and couldn’t find any exclusions that applied to pinball machines or similar gaming machines. Also didn’t see any supplemental riders available that would apply like they have for computers, guns and jewelry. And asked an agent for a former insurer a few years ago and they didn’t see a reason they wouldn’t be covered under the standard policy. Am I missing something?

Yep. You’re missing that if you lose everything, you’re risking that they won’t be covered. They will pull a random number out of a hat to give you for coverage. In my scenario, I said I want to be paid X amount, and I want them covered if the loss it due to anything, theft, fire, flood, anything. That’s what they set me up with.

#5 2 years ago

Every homeowners policy I've had contained a multiplier value for for all contents based on the value of the home insured, like 2.5x. So in a full loss the number is known in advance - value of the house x 3.5. You need to make sure the value for the house is adjusted for your current value.

If your contents are more valuable than that then you need an additional rider. But this doesn't need to be specifically for pinball machines.

In the OP's original post, worried about a sump pump in the basement, flooding and water damage is a whole other story. Partial losses involving theft, water or wind are a PITA.

I'm not sure I'd worry about a single machine, and not sure you will ever find someone to go through the hassle of underwriting a policy for a single machine.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

asked an agent for a former insurer a few years ago and they didn’t see a reason they wouldn’t be covered under the standard policy. Am I missing something?

Yes, you’re missing a document that says in writing the thing you’re asking about will be covered for this many dollars in case of loss.

This has been discussed before. Search around for the other threads. Lots of good information from agents and people who dealt with claims.

#7 2 years ago

Tried getting a rider to the usual home owners insurance and reading the
    fine print, it didn't cover much of anything so didn't bother. Insurance
    companies suck and prey on people that don't read the fine print.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I didn’t select an option. I have a completely separate policy. It’s around $750 a year for 16 games valued at around 50k.
    All I had to do was make up values, send pictures and serial numbers if I could find them. If it was a game I bought NIB, I sent a copy of my invoice too.
    For Pincinnati we do not have any games owned by the company, we simply have liability coverage if anything were to happen at the event.

If you don't mind sharing, who is your provider for the separate policy? As far as I understand our homeowners distinctly states that games are not covered, so we are in the market for a standalone policy. Thanks in advance!

#9 2 years ago

The way prices are now some collections need 24/7 armed protection. Lol I have a few clients with 250k or more in pin collections in today's market.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

If you don't mind sharing, who is your provider for the separate policy? As far as I understand our homeowners distinctly states that games are not covered, so we are in the market for a standalone policy. Thanks in advance!

State Farm. Chose them because that is who we have for everything else. Just added to our already auto draft monthly premium. Easy peasy.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

State Farm. Chose them because that is who we have for everything else. Just added to our already auto draft monthly premium. Easy peasy.

FYI...your premium of $750 per year on ~50k of games seems high to me.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

FYI...your premium of $750 per year on ~50k of games seems high to me.

I’ve heard that before. I’m fine with overpaying for the convenience of being with the same provider and same transaction each month.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve heard that before. I’m fine with overpaying for the convenience of being with the same provider and same transaction each month.

Autopay tech makes this a fairly moot point, btw (in terms of multiple transactions). Not a huge amount of money (so it's no big deal), however I just hate paying too much for insurance in particular. Just me. Other, more tangible items I don't have a problem "paying up" for.

#14 2 years ago

Here is a previous thread from 5 years ago that discusses this exact subject.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-owners-insurance-covers-pinball-machines

Gord

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Autopay tech makes this a fairly moot point, btw (in terms of multiple transactions). Not a huge amount of money (so it's no big deal), however I just hate paying too much for insurance in particular. Just me. Other, more tangible items I don't have a problem "paying up" for.

Unless I’m overpaying by 5x-6x, I really don’t care.

You gotta think too. I’m transporting some or all of my games to shows and tournaments multiple times a year. I’d say mine are put into danger more than others.

#16 2 years ago

I have a policy with Collectibles insurance for my games. https://collectinsure.com/

$177 annual premium for $25k of insurance

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbott1701:

I have a policy with Collectibles insurance for my games. https://collectinsure.com/
    $177 annual premium for $25k of insurance

I've looked into this a few times and it didn't seem like they required pictures or even an appraisal of any kind...basically the honor system. I've always wondered if they actually would pay out. Would love to hear any experience with this place as I have been trying to insure my collection but can't seem to find anyone...

#18 2 years ago

I called up my homeowners insurance company and they told me no need with my policy. I explained I have a valuable video game collection and a lot of pinball machines valued at a nice amount of money. They explained the coverage I had and that it would cover that amount. She just told me best to take pictures of everything and save them online. I have a friend that has a seperate policy for his wifes jewelry so I figured it would be similar but this person told me no. I even called again a month later to a different person and got same answer.

#19 2 years ago

I was also worried about water damage/flooding as my pins are in the basement. I have a dual sump system, with battery back up.

I also use https://americancollectors.com/ to insure my machines separately. It is around $600 annually for about 100k of coverage. I had to send pictures and values, and make sure I keep the records updated as I switch games

#20 2 years ago

Using American Collectors as well. Homeowners policy would not cover my arcades/pins, nor guitars, and was promptly advised by a friend in the insurance industry to get my butt in gear or risk losing all of it due to any unfortunate emergency.

The homeowners policy (at least the one I have) had a fixed amount to it, which covered the house and some additional assets, but not nearly enough. Do your homework if you are on the fence about this issue.

#21 2 years ago

Wow great information from everyone I even got a personal message that's why I love this community! Apologies to that original thread I did a quick search and the only thing that came up was shipping insurance. Glad I added a fun pole to the twist anyway

#22 2 years ago

These threads pop up every few weeks. People mean the best and intend to be helpful but the reality is that insurance is a legal contract between you and your insurance company. All contracts differ. There are also specific laws in each state that may impact coverage.

The worst thing you can do is assume others' experience/contract (that you aren't reading) is the same thing as the one you are paying for.

The best thing you can do is contact your agent and get their advice/opinion on your coverage IN WRITING. Your insurance agent can be legally liable for the opinion he/she gives you.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

I called up my homeowners insurance company and they told me no need with my policy. I explained I have a valuable video game collection and a lot of pinball machines valued at a nice amount of money. They explained the coverage I had and that it would cover that amount. She just told me best to take pictures of everything and save them online. I have a friend that has a seperate policy for his wifes jewelry so I figured it would be similar but this person told me no. I even called again a month later to a different person and got same answer.

Get it in writing.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsurance?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.