View topic image gallery

pincrapium (resized).JPG
a9297c0c2b05eb3a8c63f5ccea67194878e0e70b (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
giphyfadsf.gif
2C24C4AB-2D0F-4B33-A5EB-F9FB9ABB0B2C (resized).jpeg
1ABE5ADF-0B50-4E47-834D-62F950C92E5F (resized).jpeg
34AE73CA-0A28-4A6C-BA9B-E8749364D13A (resized).jpeg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Just got an IMDN premium and put it next to my TWD pro
Never had an issue with TWD, but now next to Maiden the playfield looks dark and was thinking about pinstadium? no?

What kind of bulbs do you have in your TWD? I have Comet 2SMD in natural white that replaced Cointaker LEDs that the previous owner had and it was a huge difference.

#52 5 years ago

I vote for ColorDMD LCD version. It's the best mod you can get for a pinball machine and ACDC has some great animations!

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

If you're asking which ORDER of preference of the three mods, this is what I would do. Keep in mind I have PDI and ColorDMD on all my games. I don't feel I need Pinstadiums personally.
1. PDI will ALWAYS be my first choice. Why? Because you're ALWAYS looking through the playfield glass during the game. I won't try to defend whether the price is worth it because to me, it is.
2. ColorDMD is a MUST as well. Do you NEED it? No. The DMD display is kinda secondary anyways so all this does is help upgrade the overall look of the game. Case in point - I just installed a ColorDMD on a friend's BBB and was amazed at how it immediately modernized the look of the game. The original orange DMD on that game made it look so dated.
3. Pinstadium. Never used this product, never felt the need for it.

I have invisiglass on all 3 of my machines. I’m ordering a new pin very soon. But rather than order another sheet of glass, I would put the invisiglass from acdc onto the new game; And instead thinking of getting pinstadium lights for acdc as a supplement and to try something new as I’ve heard you don’t need invisiglass with pinstadium. But then I thought I still don’t have a color dmd in my acdc yet so maybe flex the budget a little and get that instead.

So that’s where I stand. Sounds like color dmd is the way I’ll go.

#54 5 years ago

Good choice man!! What the hell were you thinking?!!

#55 5 years ago

On a machine with none of these, it's ColorDMD all day. Having just installed some Pinstadium's would have to say that's next.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thanks guys. I thought there would be more support for pinstadium, after all, we don’t play the display right?
Reason I was leaning towards pinstadium is because I’ve heard many people say you don’t need invisiglass with pinstadium.
That all said; poll results says it all so far. Too bad the same people weren’t voting on the TWIPYs

Pinstadium does remove the need for invisiglass (and from my perspective, works much better to remove glare). Unfortunately, expensive fancy glass predates Pinstadium. I'd gladly trade my fancy glass for Pinstadiums.

For me, both ColorDMD and Pinstadiums are great upgrades. Only you can decide which one is more important. I've never been thrilled with the performance of glare *reducing* glass. For $300 a pop, it needs to *remove* glare, not just reduce it.

#57 5 years ago

Correct, you don't need special glass if you have Pinstadiums.

My HUO Houdini came with both Pinstadiums and AP's version of Invisiglass. I moved the glass over to my MMR just to see for myself if it really works (it does) -- but what's relevant here is that Houdini looked just as good with regular glass b/c of the Pinstadiums.

So my vote is pinstadiums and color dmd tied for first, far ahead of invisiglass.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The results of the poll in this thread kind of make you wonder about the twipys.

Not really when you consider post number 31.

#59 5 years ago

I have ColorDMD on all my pins (definitely the best Mod), Invisiglass on one (not too impressed for the $$$, and just got my first set of Pinstadiums today. I will report back when I put them on. Note - I was not really sure about the Pinstadiums but thought why not try them and see what all the chatter is about.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I have ColorDMD on all my pins (definitely the best Mod), Invisiglass on one (not too impressed for the $$$, and just got my first set of Pinstadiums today. I will report back when I put them on. Note - I was not really sure about the Pinstadiums but thought why not try them and see what all the chatter is about.

Which pin are you putting them on?

#61 5 years ago

I dunno... PDI glass is pretty amazing IMHO... its definitely a luxury mod... but on a nice clean machine... it makes a huge difference. Newer games have very intense LED illumination, reduction in reflection really makes a difference. ColorDMD is awesome... but more time is spent looking at the playfield. It is a tough choice but between them, but I lean towards PDI. Pinstadium doesn't register for me as something to consider.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Which pin are you putting them on?

SMVE

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

...I recommend making these purchases at 3:30am half blind off of tequila. That way you won't remember how much you spent.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

...bourbon makes me push "buy" the further into the evening I go......

Bourbon is involved in most of my late night purchases!

#64 5 years ago

Color DMD should be your first mod

#65 5 years ago

Pinstadium fusions on my premium Munsters

1ABE5ADF-0B50-4E47-834D-62F950C92E5F (resized).jpeg1ABE5ADF-0B50-4E47-834D-62F950C92E5F (resized).jpeg2C24C4AB-2D0F-4B33-A5EB-F9FB9ABB0B2C (resized).jpeg2C24C4AB-2D0F-4B33-A5EB-F9FB9ABB0B2C (resized).jpeg34AE73CA-0A28-4A6C-BA9B-E8749364D13A (resized).jpeg34AE73CA-0A28-4A6C-BA9B-E8749364D13A (resized).jpeg
#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thinking about spending a little money on my AC/DC. Which mod would you guys go with for AC/DC Pro? I’m leaning towards Pinstadium as I’ve never seen it in person and enjoy lighting effects with music pins such as ACDC.
Also, regarding pinstadium; there seems like so many choices now; i.e. pinstadium, Orion’s Belt, fusion, etc... What’s the best way to go for an ACDC Pro?

ColorDMD is the only mod that holds most of its value, plus the color dots on AC/DC are great. ColorDMD by a mile.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

LOL

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

No offense, but that looks gawd awful. Reminds me of the days of Xmas tree lighting GI.

#69 5 years ago

A picture is worth 1000 words...Yet I'm speechless on that one....Guess if he likes it

#70 5 years ago

Someone call the wambulance!

Wesmantooth is having a little meltdown over the reactions to his pics. Sent me a nastygram and called me a homo.

#72 5 years ago

Color DMD is a legit upgrade to any game, invisiglass and pinstadium are more marginal slight changes and don't give the bang for their buck, especially for resale, where only Color DMD holds it's value. Invisiglass and pinstadium would seem more reasonable if they were $100 cheaper.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Someone call the wambulance!
Wesmantooth is having a little meltdown over the reactions to his pics. Sent me a nastygram and called me a homo.

...sapien? Then he would be correct!

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

...sapien? Then he would be correct!

Bingo! This dude seems unfit for our homogeneous group.

#75 5 years ago

ColorDMD on any DMD machine makes the orange before it, look dull and old.

So good that I could have sex with it...but not with the pinstadiums lit, or hiding behind invisiglass while doing it but i'd have the pinsound playing something if that makes sense.

AC/DC all the way in high res mode. I don't think pinstadiums in an AC/DC make any real difference because you supposed to be at an AC/DC concert bright colour and sound experience but see the need in comps/tournaments when technicals matter.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

giphyfadsf.gifgiphyfadsf.gif

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#77 5 years ago

100% color DMD

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

That’s a hot mess

#79 5 years ago

There's a lot of pin stadium lovers out there... I respect that. I tried it in my WOZ, couldn't stand it.

Each to their own. For me, not my thing.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Wesmantooth:

See, that shit right there makes me loathe that mod. I couldn't throw up harder with 2 fingers touching my uvula.

Lighting that game physically on fire is the only way to improve from that....

#81 5 years ago

Here is another thing that drives me nuts about pinstadium from day 1 is the reflection the leds cast on things like wireforms, ramps and the katana sword shown here on Deadpool. It just makes the game look silly and worst of all you are paying a lot to do this to your game and yourself!

a9297c0c2b05eb3a8c63f5ccea67194878e0e70b (resized).jpega9297c0c2b05eb3a8c63f5ccea67194878e0e70b (resized).jpeg
#82 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Here is another thing that drives me nuts about pinstadium from day 1 is the reflection the leds cast on things like wireforms, ramps and the katana sword shown here on Deadpool. It just makes the game look silly and worst of all you are paying a lot to do this to your game and yourself!

Agreed. It looks horrible.

#83 5 years ago

pinstadiums look like absolute junk and have from day 1.
Glad to see the community is finally coming to their sense on this junk.

The company used gorrilla marketing techniques to push their junk and then paid the IFPA endorsement fee to try and convince people they are needed for people to see the ball in competitive play to further the marketing.

Seemed that some in the "like to mod the crap outta the game" community latched on to it as a worthwhile thing to add to bling out a game. I am guessing many of those people are now seeing it is like tossing money in the trash and you will never see the return in that mod when selling the game.

pincrapium (resized).JPGpincrapium (resized).JPG
#84 5 years ago

I commend the entrepreneurial spirit with PinStadium lighting....i'm not a big believer, but would have tried on my WOZ if the product was reasonably priced.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I commend the entrepreneurial spirit with PinStadium lighting....i'm not a big believer, but would have tried on my WOZ if the product was reasonably priced.

Spotlight kits on WoZ are plenty.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

[quoted image]

This is the biggie for me, and will never change....the "rainbow" effect on anything shiny/ metallic simply can't be unseen. And of course, raising color temp under the playfield glass allows you to not need PDI,etc. Is that a gain? No, no, no.....

Again, glad some like them, but will never put a set on a game I own. The other mods mentioned here are legit, w colorDMD being the best "visible" add, and PDI/ Invisiglass being the most "invisible" add.

Out of this one........

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Spotlight kits on WoZ are plenty.

Thats what I did on WOZ and TZ...works just fine

#88 5 years ago

Sooner or later you will need to get a replacement DMD. Might as well get a Color DMD. You can dictate the view on the Color DMD to make it look stock or change it to colorize.
Glass and PinStabineye can always wait.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The company used gorrilla marketing techniques to push their junk and then paid the IFPA endorsement fee to try and convince people they are needed for people to see the ball in competitive play to further the marketing.
Seemed that some in the "like to mod the crap outta the game" community latched on to it as a worthwhile thing to add to bling out a game. I am guessing many of those people are now seeing it is like tossing money in the trash and you will never see the return in that mod when selling the game.[quoted image]

With all that information, junk and all, it's actually shocking that you weren't shilling the hell out of it. Kind of like "tossing money in the trash" for predator and alien.

just say'n

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Just my opinion, but it totally ruins the aesthetic of WOZ... and it's really not capable of smooth color changing gradients. WOZ really exposes it in that dept (if that's how you run it). I couldn't make fit, even in solid color, while keeping the character and feel of the game intact. If you want a little bump in brightness, try some mirror blades. If you don't like blades, enjoy the game as designed.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also, regarding pinstadium; there seems like so many choices now; i.e. pinstadium, Orion’s Belt, fusion, etc...

I’d go with CEIOL to make your games brighter and pop.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Just my opinion, but it totally ruins the aesthetic of WOZ... and it's really not capable of smooth color changing gradients. WOZ really exposes it in that dept (if that's how you run it). I couldn't make fit, even in solid color, while keeping the character and feel of the game intact. If you want a little bump in brightness, try some mirror blades. If you don't like blades, enjoy the game as designed.

I just added a series of spot lights that really helped....

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So that’s where I stand. Sounds like color dmd is the way I’ll go.

Good call.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Seemed that some in the "like to mod the crap outta the game" community latched on to it as a worthwhile thing to add to bling out a game. I am guessing many of those people are now seeing it is like tossing money in the trash and you will never see the return in that mod when selling the game.[quoted image]

BS. I don't "like to mod the crap outta my games" and have had very positive results with Pinstadiums. My games have been played/admired by top players/collectors. Your assertion that it's like tossing money in the trash is ridiculous.

It is undeniable that Pinstadiums do a great job lighting a PF when used *tastefully* (which is obviously personal). As many folks have noted, the crazy photos of the Munsters in this thread are gaudy (no argument). If all folks used Pinstadiums in this fashion, I would TOTALLY UNDERSTAND your rhetoric. Nevertheless, using this example as "proof" that Pinstadiums are garbage is like saying LED PF lighting is garbage because some collectors choose to install gaudy colors. Configurable LED lighting is a tool...not a panacea. The idea of uniforming shining light on a PF from above and controlling/configuring it with your phone is goodness. There are infinite possibilities...some tasteful, some not so tasteful.

I've never seen a pinball mod with such polarizing views. Just don't get it. If it were more reasonably priced, I imagine there would be less hate? Just to be clear, I was a very late adopter of Pinstadiums...purchased my first set in October 2018. Had some issues and Scott provided great/timely support. Before Pinstadiums, I was buying PinballBulbs spotlight kits for many of games. One thing is for certain, the recent Stern games are extremely poorly lit if you like playing in the dark. That is undeniable. I recently replaced a set of PB spotlights with Pinstadiums on my KISS Premium and it made a HUGE positive impact. Pinstadiums aren't perfect, but they work great for me...particularly on newer Stern's with minimal GI spots.

#95 5 years ago

I'm not sure there is a reasonable price point for me to include PS in my games. PDI glass and ColorDMD are luxury mods that are immediately enjoyable that you can justify paying for on a resale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinstadium-vs-colordmd-vs-pdi-invisiglass/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.