(Topic ID: 243067)

Pinstadium alternative

By turbo2nr

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p5ojacwDrG1wzvt9qo1_1280.gif
    20190222_212456 (resized).jpg
    20190327_211607 (resized).jpg
    20190327_211540 (resized).jpg
    20180312_225615 (resized).jpg
    20181007_163537 (resized).jpg
    20181209_174541_001 (resized).jpg
    20171207_171328 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0155 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0149 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0151 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0150 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Any, similar kits? Don't need flashing or color-changing.

Just solid White. I like the magnet to hold strips.

I am having a hard time justifying the price of the real pinstadium.

Maybe it is up to $40 worth of PepBoys lights (or can find at Batteries Plus stores) and little plastic and a couple strips of magnetic tape for $250 or whatever it is.

Thanks
    Scott

#2 4 years ago

Yup, I make my own white stadium lights, very easy and straight forward. Check for the Poor Man's stadium lighting thread for all the info and pics.

#4 4 years ago

Yeah, i have made all sorts of led projects in past. Im too lazy to drive around town and get the supplies.

So, any optional kits around.

Key word being, "kits"

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

I'm too lazy to drive around town and get the supplies, so any optional kits around?

Do we need to get you three quotes, check their references with the Better Business Bureau and then negotiate low pricing for you?

Man, look at you getting things done just by posting on Pinside!

#6 4 years ago

Pinstadiums are pricey, but totally turn key. They also come with Scott, the owner who absolutely goes out of his way to provide support.

#7 4 years ago

Price breakdown for the kits I make for all my games:

Monster USB' White LED strips (Walmart). I like these because they have a remote and you can switch from 4 shades of white, so one of those shades works for every game $5.99 x 2 = $12
    Angle bracket rail 4' (Home Depot) $7ish x 2 = $15
    Roll of magnet tape (don't need to install tape the full length of the rails. I use three 8" strips spaced apart, end, middle, end) - $6
    Superglue (I glue the LED strips to the rails because their adhesive can come loose) - $1
    Appliance extension cord (I have a lot of spare cords so never buy one) - $2?
    USB power adapters (I have a lot ofold iPhone/phone USB wall plugs and use those - $$?

So my kits are under $40 to make, very easy to make. You're just cutting the LED strips to length and gluing them on the inside of each rail. The rails are perfect length, so no cutting those.

Plug the USB cables from the lights to the extension cord ran from the service outlet to the back bottom of the cabinet. Plug them in. They will not turn off/on with the game plugged into the service outlet, but I power all my games from a master switch, so they do turn off/on with the game.

#8 4 years ago

Grab 2-20" Matrix strips. or several small, etc, and plug them into a Matrix Bulb, from comet.
    Or a Back Strip, Apron Strip that are permanent, and side lighting strips as needed....

Done.

#9 4 years ago

turn on the lights in the room?

#10 4 years ago

Oh, add black spray paint, or whatever color you want the rails to be. I used a brown for Maverick because I had a spray can of brown, and it matched the cabinet perfectly.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

turn on the lights in the room?

#12 4 years ago

I prefer playing in our dimly lit bar. But sure, a well lit room will accomplish the same goal.

#13 4 years ago

Pics of various games I've owned with the DIY kits installed.

20171207_171328 (resized).jpg20171207_171328 (resized).jpg20180312_225615 (resized).jpg20180312_225615 (resized).jpg20181007_163537 (resized).jpg20181007_163537 (resized).jpg20181209_174541_001 (resized).jpg20181209_174541_001 (resized).jpg20190222_212456 (resized).jpg20190222_212456 (resized).jpg20190327_211540 (resized).jpg20190327_211540 (resized).jpg20190327_211607 (resized).jpg20190327_211607 (resized).jpgIMG_0149 (resized).jpgIMG_0149 (resized).jpgIMG_0150 (resized).jpgIMG_0150 (resized).jpgIMG_0151 (resized).jpgIMG_0151 (resized).jpgIMG_0155 (resized).jpgIMG_0155 (resized).jpg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I prefer playing in our dimly lit bar. But sure, a well lit room will accomplish the same goal.

A "dim" game in dark room is also relatively bright. The difference between 0, 50, 100, 150 lumens is the same for each jump. But every one of those jumps is less noticible than the previous one.

#15 4 years ago
    tumblr_p5ojacwDrG1wzvt9qo1_1280.giftumblr_p5ojacwDrG1wzvt9qo1_1280.gif
    #16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

Pinstadiums are pricey, but totally turn key. They also come with Scott, the owner who absolutely goes out of his way to provide support.

We need lights support?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Price breakdown for the kits I make for all my games:
    Monster USB' White LED strips (Walmart). I like these because they have a remote and you can switch from 4 shades of white, so one of those shades works for every game $5.99 x 2 = $12
    Angle bracket rail 4' (Home Depot) $7ish x 2 = $15
    Roll of magnet tape (don't need to install tape the full length of the rails. I use three 8" strips spaced apart, end, middle, end) - $6
    Superglue (I glue the LED strips to the rails because their adhesive can come loose) - $1
    Appliance extension cord (I have a lot of spare cords so never buy one) - $2?
    USB power adapters (I have a lot ofold iPhone/phone USB wall plugs and use those - $$?
    So my kits are under $40 to make, very easy to make. You're just cutting the LED strips to length and gluing them on the inside of each rail. The rails are perfect length, so no cutting those.
    Plug the USB cables from the lights to the extension cord ran from the service outlet to the back bottom of the cabinet. Plug them in. They will not turn off/on with the game plugged into the service outlet, but I power all my games from a master switch, so they do turn off/on with the game.

The issue with this is you lose all interactive lighting effects of the game. Many games have gi that dim or go dark at certain point so you lose that with this setup. I made my own for the lower half of the twd, linked to the gi, it was cheap and effective, but always a pain when lifting the pf. In general, I’m not a fan of lighting up the whole pf and prefer accent lighting for some dark areas, particularly the backboard area where there is often some really nice artwork.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

The issue with this is you lose all interactive lighting effects of the game. Many games have gi that dim or go dark at certain point so you lose that with this setup. I made my own for the lower half of the twd, linked to the gi, it was cheap and effective, but always a pain when lifting the pf. In general, I’m not a fan of lighting up the whole pf and prefer accent lighting for some dark areas, particularly the backboard area where there is often some really nice artwork.

Ambiance in a game!!

#19 4 years ago

Lots of details on how to integrate a relay or otherwise match GI in the poor man's thread.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

Maybe and scott might be the nicest dude on earth but they are overpriced and I hated having to take them off and put back on everytime I lifted the playfield.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

No issue for me since I don’t want any special effects, just a clean, well lit play field that I can see. I have a set of pin stadiums, was an initial buyer when they were first announced. I don’t like the flashing option, so I leave it disconnected. I don’t want them turning off an on either.

So my light kits are perfect for me. Cheap and they do the job intended.

1 week later
    #22 4 years ago

I now have Five games with pinstadium lights.
    Love it very much!

No interest in making my own.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo2nr:

I now have Five games with pinstadium lights.
    Love it very much!
    No interest in making my own.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
    7 months later
    #24 4 years ago

Just figured I would share the link to a video I made detailing how to build playfield lights. I also did a full version and install videos as well. I hope this helps anyone who is considering building lights.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinstadium-alternative?hl=hurryuppinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.