Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by EricHadley
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wpc95-noav-replacement (resized).png
    20170221_135549 (resized).jpg
    20170221_135541 (resized).jpg
    20170221_135358.resized (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Good news WPC95 pinball machine owners!

The PinSound board is fully compatible with any Bally / Williams WPC95 pinball machines, without the original Audio Video board!

You can use any DMD board controller (WPC89 / WPC-S) combined with a PinSound board to replace your faulty or missing A/V WPC95 board.

Very soon, we'll sell 100% plug'n play harness kit for those of you who are looking for a replacement for your AV board.

Stay tuned!

20170221_135358.resized (resized).jpg20170221_135358.resized (resized).jpg
    20170221_135541 (resized).jpg20170221_135541 (resized).jpg
    20170221_135549 (resized).jpg20170221_135549 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Great news!
    Looking forward to seeing all those WPC95 resurrected!

#3 7 years ago

Whaaaaaaaaat?!(!? This is huge news

#4 7 years ago

Wow, this is great news! Looks like you'll be getting some business from me very soon.

#5 7 years ago

Great news for the future of the WPC95 games.

#7 7 years ago

Awesome news! Big need for that.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

The PinSound board is fully compatible with any Bally / Williams WPC95 pinball machines, without the original Audio Video board!

You can use any DMD board controller (WPC89 / WPC-S) combined with a PinSound board to replace your faulty or missing A/V WPC95 board.

So are the ones for sale on the site right now the compatible ones?

Quoted from PinSound:

Very soon, we'll sell 100% plug'n play harness kit for those of you who are looking for a replacement for your AV board.

Do we need to wait for a different version?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

So are the ones for sale on the site right now the compatible ones?

Do we need to wait for a different version?

The current version of the PinSound board is compatible right now. But the required harness is not ready (yet) on our side.

#10 7 years ago

What about sound roms?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

What about sound roms?

Most games are already available in the Pinsound forums. You have to buy a board and sign up to get in there

#12 7 years ago

That's awesome. Means I can add a pinsound board to a WPC 95 and use the A/V board in another machine that I'm restoring.

#13 7 years ago

Wow this is awesome and huge news for some of the best pins ever made to live on.... awesome work pinsound

#14 7 years ago

How/can this work with linked NBA FBs?

#15 7 years ago

I remember reading a few months back about how the scarcity of parts for the WPC95 AV board would be the death of all these old games.

PINSOUND TO THE RESCUE!!!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

How/can this work with linked NBA FBs?

Currently, it won't work. If there is a lot of interest we may take a look, but I don't know if there are so many linked NBA pinball machines?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

I remember reading a few months back about how the scarcity of parts for the WPC95 AV board would be the death of all these old games.
    PINSOUND TO THE RESCUE!!!

It might have been me that you are remembering. If so I also said the hobby was dependent on others stepping up to sell replacement parts. Nice work Pinsound!

#18 7 years ago

Yuge!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Currently, it won't work. If there is a lot of interest we may take a look, but I don't know if there are so many linked NBA pinball machines?

i would really like for you to look at that. I'd buy 2 pin sounds the day it worked!

Neil.

#20 7 years ago

Bump because thIs is such a big deal!! Damn it, I may have to buy a 3rd PinSound just because..

#21 7 years ago

Are there any samples to preview the audio? I'm thinking of doing my MB and TOM.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Are there any samples to preview the audio? I'm thinking of doing my MB and TOM.

Pinsound forums

Also this is a Doctor Who but it does legit sound like this:

#23 7 years ago

Id like here mb, afm , ss and mm with pinsound.... i may just buy 4 boards if i like what i hear

#24 7 years ago

Hard to convey those games the same way- they already have far superior sound than WPc89 games, but PinSound offers the same separation of bass and treble (cabinet woofer vs backbox midrange speakers) that you see with folks doing the DIY method. Plus if a stereo mix is made (has to be done for each individual game) you've already won. Plus you can CHANGE any callout, Sfx, music to whatever you want

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hard to convey those games the same way- they already have far superior sound than WPc89 games, but PinSound offers the same separation of bass and treble (cabinet woofer vs backbox midrange speakers) that you see with folks doing the DIY method. Plus if a stereo mix is made (has to be done for each individual game) you've already won. Plus you can CHANGE any callout, Sfx, music to whatever you want

Yea i meant id like to hear different versions of the sound and callouts ..

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea i meant id like to hear different versions of the sound and callouts ..

Noted! Haha
    Man that would be fun as hell to do MB. I don't have a SS or Afm to test on still..

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

i would really like for you to look at that. I'd buy 2 pin sounds the day it worked!
    Neil.

You can already link 2 NBA with PinSound by keeping the original A/V board!

#28 7 years ago

There is a video on YouTube for AFM:

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from romain:

You can already link 2 NBA with PinSound by keeping the original A/V board!

But what if you have a bad A/V board? Those boards are unobtainium

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

But what if you have a bad A/V board? Those boards are unobtainium

I'd imagine spare A/V boards may become available when more and more PinSound are used in WPC95 games. Anyone with 2 games can fit a PinSound in the other game, and get the A/V board for the NBA?
    I think PinSound is going to resurrect WPC95 games otherwise dead because of the scarcity of this unique part.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from romain:

I'd imagine spare A/V boards may become available when more and more PinSound are used in WPC95 games. Anyone with 2 games can fit a PinSound in the other game, and get the A/V board for the NBA?
    I think PinSound is going to resurrect WPC95 games otherwise dead because of the scarcity of this unique part.

Absolutely! I think we were making the same point

#32 7 years ago

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have a WPC DCS sound board as in Judge Dredd that is malfunctioning, I can remove it and replace it with a pinsound board. Only thing we are waiting for is mounting hardware (harness kit) or wiring harness?

#33 7 years ago

So if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have a WPC DCS sound board as in Judge Dredd that is malfunctioning, I can remove it and replace it with a pinsound board. Only thing we are waiting for is mounting hardware (harness kit) or wiring harness?

Yes and no. Pinsound is fine for your JD, no need to wait.

The wait for a harness is for people that want to use Pinsound in a WPC-95 game to replace the WPC-95 AV board. In this case you use a Pinsound board for the audio and a WPC DMD board for the video. A new harness is needed to do this. Your JD doesn't fall in this category.

#34 7 years ago

Not quite. JD isn't a WPC95 game with an AV board. WPC DCS games have a separate sound board and separate display driver board. So, for JD, you're not waiting on a harness or anything.

#36 7 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that. Just one more question, are the original sounds somehow remastered to utilize the full potential of the pinsound board or do we need to find our own source?

I'm hoping to put this sound on. Sounds amazing

#37 7 years ago

Thanks for clarifying that. Just one more question, are the original sounds somehow remastered to utilize the full potential of the pinsound board or do we need to find our own source?
    I'm hoping to put this sound on. Sounds amazing
    » YouTube video

You can do that. Once you get the board, you need to load it with sounds. You can create different "mixes" and switch between them by lowering the volume inside the coin door to 0. The board will play a sound from the new mix to confirm it has switched mixes. You can do this several times in a row to swap mixes. I have 3 or 4 on my TZ and it takes about 2 seconds to switch.

To create your own mix, the PinSound guys have developed their own software to make it a bit easier - or if you are used to using digital audio software, you can make your own. (definitely recommend the PinSound Studio in this case so everything is compatible). You would have to edit the sound down to roughly match the music or sfx/callout you're replacinng, then just literally replace it.

All (I think) games have their original sounds/music/callouts already extracted and available on the Pinsound forums, so you have a template to start from. If you already have the music or sounds or whatever, it's pretty straight forward. It is kind of a pain to get all new sounds recorded (I want to do this for TZ) but once you have them, putting them on the board is easy. Just so it's clear though: There is NO WAY to "upgrade" a sound. The old pre-DCS games have really really bad sound, low quality, and pretty much that's still how they sound. You can add some bass, which helps - If you add better speakers it does help even more but crappy sounds will still basically be crappy sounds.

The only way it could be simpler is if you could get the board to download the sounds automatically via wifi... maybe next iteration! lol

#38 7 years ago

This is great news!
    Means my Medieval Madness build will be back on track.

#39 7 years ago

Excuse my ignorance but what is the issue with the WPC95 AV boards? I've never heard of someone having one of these machines and that it was basically unplayable because this board is bad. Just curious. Makes me wonder about ever getting any of the WPC95 titles.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the issue with the WPC95 AV boards? I've never heard of someone having one of these machines and that it was basically unplayable because this board is bad. Just curious. Makes me wonder about ever getting any of the WPC95 titles.

One of the chips needed for the AV board is extremely hard to find and there has been no ideal replacement. Currently a working WPC-95 AV board might fetch $1000+ on ebay.

#41 7 years ago

Thanks FlippyD. Is the game not playable? So odd... I've never heard anyone complain of this.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Thanks FlippyD. Is the game not playable? So odd... I've never heard anyone complain of this.

There's a couple of old threads on here about it. I don't know what happens to games with broken AV boards though. They might power on and be playable but have no sound or DMD.

I doubt that many people are actually paying 4 digits for old AV boards but if they are than this sounds like the perfect time to make profit while upgrading a machine. Spend $500 or so on PinSound + DMD power driver and then sell the original AV board for a handsome sum. Now you've got extra money and a better sounding machine!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

Some were just flat out missing when games were re-imported in containers in large quantities.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

There's a couple of old threads on here about it. I don't know what happens to games with broken AV boards though. They might power on and be playable but have no sound or DMD.
    I doubt that many people are actually paying 4 digits for old AV boards but if they are than this sounds like the perfect time to make profit while upgrading a machine. Spend $500 or so on PinSound + DMD power driver and then sell the original AV board for a handsome sum. Now you've got extra money and a better sounding machine!

I can confirm they do not work with a missing or hosed A/V board. Plus, why would you want a game with no sound or DMD? Eventually they will ALL die out, so this is just great news.

#45 7 years ago

I experienced the pinsound board for the first time earlier this week in a JM that also had upgraded speakers and the sound blew me away instantly.
    It made me think how great this would be in my theater of magic.
    And tada now it's available like magic! I wonder what music would work with TOM because that organ music got old long ago.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I wonder what music would work with TOM

Magic by Pilot

Abracadabra by Steve miller Band

Do You Believe In Magic by The Lovin' Spoonful

Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen by Santana

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police

#47 7 years ago

F***ing awesome!

Quoted from PinSound:

Good news WPC95 pinball machine owners!
    Stay tuned!

#48 7 years ago

THIS ...IS ....AWESOME! Great news. Long live original Williams bally games!

#49 7 years ago

Are Pinsound boards going to be available at TPF this year? Any show specials?

#50 7 years ago

Is there a tutorial posted anywhere on how to import songs during game play? I have loaded the program and opened the rom file but a bit confused on how to do so, I so used to pinball browser this one stumps me lol....

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-wpc95-audiovideo-board-replacement/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.