Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by awesome1
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I have 5 or 6 mixes on my TZ pinsound card. When I tried loading more than 1 zip at time it only uncompressed one of them. The next time I turned the machine on it did the other.
A couple mixes I loaded on as the uncompressed wav files which then instantly load if you know how to do it that way.

Were these mixes you did yourself? I seem to recall only 3 or 4 posted to the Pinsound boards. Or am I mistaken?

#7 7 years ago

The board itself is awesome - the designers obviously put a lot of time into simplifying as much as possible for the lay user (I.e. If you aren't used to editing sound files)

The sound quality is great, and is grestly enhanced by a speaker upgrade. The doctor who mixes I have heard are BRILLIANT. ONce I finally get one that's the first change I am making. Right now I only have a pinsound in my TZ so that I can use the original Granner DCS mix. I like it a lot. I do wish there were better mixes, though. The one the_wool posted for the creature recently is really really good

My point is the board is great but the overall effect really depends on the mix you have at hand.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Once the Pinsound board is installed can the volume still be controlled using the coin door buttons?

There may be a mod for this like there is for the WoZ, but the default installation is that you control the volume through the inner door buttons, same as any other W/B machine

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

I did. The factory sub is pretty much worthless after you install pinsound. This sound board is powerful enough to run an 8-inch subwoofer maybe more.... I think with the 2.1 stereo connection you can run a cross-over on the sub and only push low frenquency to the sub and mids/high to the backbox. I really like the fact you can increase the treble and bass on the board itself. Pinsound is awesome! If you have an external sub hooked up it probably doesn't matter much.

PinSound is also offering a *really* good set of coaxial speakers and woofer as replacements to the original set - I just ordered some for my TZ (which I am now thinking about selling... WTF is wrong with me), I have not heard them yet but they are - from a technical standpoint - superior to the Flipper Fidelity and Pinball Pro speakers. The main selling point with those is the better wiring and crossover to the sub, separating the backbox and cabinet by frequency. The PinSound speakers can offer true balanced stereo sound and have a dedicated midrange and tweeter in the backbox, which should greatly improve the quality.

Now if somebody could just get a Rod Serling impressionist to re-record the callouts...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Hrmmmm, maybe a gofundme to hire a voice actor to do the call outs? plausible maybe, haha. I bet it wouldnt cost too much.
https://www.voices.com/
https://voicebunny.com/
http://voice123.com/

I sort of meant that as a joke - I'm a professional voice actor and I do a pretty damn good Rod - just for fun, but still... I'm no Mark Silverman but maybe I'll give a couple of call outs a try , I've been meaning to do that for a while

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Are the Rod Serling callouts missing from the HD Chris Granner mix?

They are there - but the callouts are noticeably poor quality; in other words they are still 8-bit resolution where the Pinsound can do CD quality sound. Imagine if you were watching twilight zone and the music and effects sound good, but every time Rod Serling said anything, he said it from behind a closed door, under a blanket, with a sore throat and whilst a vacuum was running.

There is a CFTBL mix posted by pinside member the_wool in which he had someone re-record the callouts. The New callouts change the way the callouts are spoken which I didn't love, but the overall quality is astounding.

Give me a couple of days to wrap some stuff up; I have some song demos I need to finish but I will give it a shot

1 week later
#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They are there - but the callouts are noticeably poor quality; in other words they are still 8-bit resolution where the Pinsound can do CD quality sound. Imagine if you were watching twilight zone and the music and effects sound good, but every time Rod Serling said anything, he said it from behind a closed door, under a blanket, with a sore throat and whilst a vacuum was running.
There is a CFTBL mix posted by pinside member the_wool in which he had someone re-record the callouts. The New callouts change the way the callouts are spoken which I didn't love, but the overall quality is astounding.
Give me a couple of days to wrap some stuff up; I have some song demos I need to finish but I will give it a shot

Had some gigs I had to do, may get to this tomorrow - if not, it will be this weekend! finally have a free weekend

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

I have the Pinsound board ready for my TZ. Before installing I decided to upgrade the original speakers. I see Pinsound now carries upgraded speakers. Was going to originally order a set from flipper fidelity. Has anyone done a comparison between the two.
Also still deciding on which mix to use. Since I have had my TZ for 21 years I'm opting for the most original version.

Do the DCS (Granner) version. The sound quality is much much better.

I have FF in my monster bash and installing the Pinsound speakers in my doctor Who tonight. It won't be a perfect comparison, but from a technical standpoint, the Pinsound speakers are way way higher quality. The FF speakers sound great but much of this is because of the crossover and their ability to balance the treble in the back box with the cabinet's bass. I expect the Pinsound speakers to be a huge difference.

Will do a more scientific test (I.e. Using the same game) tomorrow

2 years later
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Has anyone ripped new call outs from original source show material in higher quality for Pinsound?

yep

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

What mix are they in?
I downloaded 5 and they are all original call outs of low quality.
Thanks!

I think the ones available on the PinSound forums are all just the originals. I made a custom mix with callouts from the show, new recordings and new music clips pulled from the show (1st and 5th seasons). Haven't released it - maybe in a month or so! I've just not had the time to finish and get all the volumes set right

1 month later
#33 4 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Hi, any update on this? Very interested in the DCS with Golden Earing and especially if better Rod Serling callouts are included!
Appreciate your time on this to help the community!

Haven't touched it in a year now - I should just upload it so someone else can finish the tweaks!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

What would these callouts have originally been recorded onto? Presumably they must have existed as a high quality master somewhere on tape or whatever?
Granted no one is going to be able to turn 8-bit mono output from the WPC boards into anything resembling CD quality clarity, but if there is a master somewhere and PPS have access to it?.....

There's definitely no way to improve the low-fidelity callouts that exist on the game, so you're right: the original source would be needed. I doubt those are available anywhere though. Chris Granner pulled the DCS music from a DAT he had found, but there's no mention of the sessions that Tim Kitzrow recorded his call outs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz-multiple-mixes?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.