(Topic ID: 123400)

PinSound - TZ

By txx3ddq442

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just received and installed a PinSound board in my TZ. At the same time, I swapped out the factory speakers with a set from PinballPro wired as 2.1 off the PinSound board. First off, this setup is phenomenal... mostly.

I've found that the voices get overpowered by the effects. This is with both the re-orchestration and original sound files. I'm still tweaking the equalizer a bit to see if I can work it out. I haven't fiddled with the software yet to see if I can boost the gain on the voices. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing or similar?

Also, with both sound setups, the left ramp sound is very faint. Would like to be able to single that effect out and boost the gain. Same thing for the collect bonus sound at the end of the ball (except it's too loud)... at the very end of the effect (original sounds) the volume shoots up. This happens in the game and if I play the WAV file directly on my PC.

Besides these few anomalies (with the audio files, not the board), it's breathed new life into my favorite pin. My daughter, on the other hand, is not a fan of the re-orchestration at all... it took her about 10 seconds to figure out something was 'off' and said, "you need to fix Twilight Zone back."

Feel free to hijack this thread for any and all PinSound with TZ problems, suggestions, comments, tweaks, etc.

#2 9 years ago

Your daughter's reaction is a good indicator for what I might feel as well, experiencing TZ in full stereo sound.

I think as along as you were able to switch from factory sounds to the new stuff with the push of a couple buttons(and vice versa), I'd be ok with it.

Any chance you could post a video?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Just received and installed a PinSound board in my TZ. At the same time, I swapped out the factory speakers with a set from PinballPro wired as 2.1 off the PinSound board. First off, this setup is phenomenal... mostly.
I've found that the voices get overpowered by the effects. This is with both the re-orchestration and original sound files. I'm still tweaking the equalizer a bit to see if I can work it out. I haven't fiddled with the software yet to see if I can boost the gain on the voices. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing or similar?
Also, with both sound setups, the left ramp sound is very faint. Would like to be able to single that effect out and boost the gain. Same thing for the collect bonus sound at the end of the ball (except it's too loud)... at the very end of the effect (original sounds) the volume shoots up. This happens in the game and if I play the WAV file directly on my PC.
Besides these few anomalies (with the audio files, not the board), it's breathed new life into my favorite pin. My daughter, on the other hand, is not a fan of the re-orchestration at all... it took her about 10 seconds to figure out something was 'off' and said, "you need to fix Twilight Zone back."
Feel free to hijack this thread for any and all PinSound with TZ problems, suggestions, comments, tweaks, etc.

Open the Mix in the Pinsouns Studio. You'll find master volume pots for music, speech, sfx etc. Make voice a little louder and save. Try it on your pin and see if you're happy. If raising the volume of the speech won't to any good for you, you can play with ducking settings but try the volume thing first and contact me if it doesn't help.

For the single effects that are too quiet... find them in the folders and send them to me and I'll take a look at them for you.

1 week later
#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I boosted the voices a little and it definitely helped. Would be nice if the software indicated a dB gain that was applied. The gain.txt file in the voices folder just has "11" in it now.

I also used Audacity to boost the gain on the left ramp sounds by 6dB and the right ramp by 3db. Sounds much better (i.e. normal). Played a few games and found the gumball loading sound and the lock award to be under-volumed too. Will boost those next go round.

Quoted from Endprodukt:

you can play with ducking settings

I don't see anything on the PinSound site about how exactly to use their software. I think I saw in another post about how ducking would drop the sound level on effects when a voice was playing but can you explain how to go about setting it? Is it in software or another .txt file that needs to be in a certain folder?

Any other hidden / undocumented features I need to know about?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

I don't see anything on the PinSound site about how exactly to use their software. I think I saw in another post about how ducking would drop the sound level on effects when a voice was playing but can you explain how to go about setting it? Is it in software or another .txt file that needs to be in a certain folder?

+1

Definitely looking forward to PinSound expanding and clarifying the documentation for PinSound Studio. The only bit of documentation I've seen so far on ducking is in the 'readme' file included in Endprodukt's IJ reorchestration, so it may be that you just have to edit those lines manually in the config.ini

Folder structure needs some clarification as well. On the website, it is noted "Every mix must have the following directory: jingle, sfx, single, voice" yet directly under that it gives descriptions for music, voice, sfx and jingle directories. From what I understand, 'single' performs like 'music' but only plays once rather than loop 'til canceled.

Hopefully PinSound Studio sees an update soon as well. Currently it gives you notification about any missing sounds (sounds that are apparently called by the board but aren't found on the USB stick) but it doesn't show in the playback list where those missing sound calls occurred, which makes it a pain trying to find out what sound the board is attempting to call.

#6 9 years ago

To be fair the ducking settings are not documented as Pinsound wanted to fix these settings. I begged them to keep them open for changes and they were kind enough to leave that option in.

The ducking setting is indeed in a config.ini file in the root folder.

It looks like this:

ducking_jingle = 10
ducking_sfx = 80
ducking_voice = 65

This means that a jingle will duck the music by 90%, the sfx will duck the music by 20% and the voice will duck the music by 35%. Setting the voice ducking to 50 for example will make the ducking way more obvious and the voice shouls be easier to understand - but that's also a process that goes hand in hand with the volume and can be a lot of finetuning to get right.

Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Thanks for the advice. I boosted the voices a little and it definitely helped. Would be nice if the software indicated a dB gain that was applied. The gain.txt file in the voices folder just has "11" in it now.
I also used Audacity to boost the gain on the left ramp sounds by 6dB and the right ramp by 3db. Sounds much better (i.e. normal). Played a few games and found the gumball loading sound and the lock award to be under-volumed too. Will boost those next go round.

dB actually means nothing. It's always how it sounds in the mix. Hence why preamps usually don't show a dB setting on the pots. You shouldn't need to boost anything in Audacity. That's what you use the PinsoundStudio for. It has knobs for that. Boosting a sound by 6dB's could easily mean it's clipping now. Not so good. You can also use the Gain.txt. 11 means it's boosted by 1. 10 is the standart setting. You can go up to 20.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.