You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pinsound Twilight Zone worth it? ”

• Get Pinsound for Twilight Zone 19 votes
    27%
  • The game will be less fun without original track 27 votes
    39%
  • I don’t know about this Pinsound stuff, but I like to vote in polls 24 votes
    34%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED5C5C3A-1BA9-4E6C-94E2-D798EB94685E (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #92 Usb recommendations Posted by Rdoyle1978 (1 year ago)

Post #95 Usb 3 Posted by Rdoyle1978 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So, I’m considering acquiring my first pinsound set up. If I move forward it would be for Twilight Zone (the “horror show” version seems pretty neat).

This is, of course, an expensive upgrade. Is it worth doing? Will I miss the original sounds I’ve had for decades? Will the game seem off without the original sounds?

If I get it, should I also get the upgraded speaker set? Does it make much of a difference?

How about the Neo soundboard? Needed?

Thanks in advance.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Not happy with any of the levels in the current mixes available.

I’m a potential Pinsound newbie, so I’m not certain what this means. It seems like, at least as to TZ, there are some feelings this may be a controversial mod.

If Pinsound in TZ is not a home run, how about BSD?

I appreciate the discussion.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomP:

Remember if you have other pins the PinSound stuff is pretty easy to cycle through your collection.

Ah, so if I decide I do not like it in TZ, I can just pull it out and test it in BSD? In that regard, it is like colorDMD? If I don’t like it can go to DW?

Quoted from PhantomP:

T2 has default, “remastered” and OST. The 2.1 stereo of the pinsound setup is so nice. After you play a stock WPC pin you realize how crappy the mono with cabinet speaker is...

Does TZ have a “remastered” version as well?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes and no - as rdoyle1978 mentioned (below) there is a "remastered" TZ pinsound version however it is different to the original

I see, so the remastered version was made but never totally completed. This takes advantage of the upgraded speakers as well.

Regardless, the interchangeability really won me over. It seems like TZ is rather controversial for Pinsound (possibly because the remaster was never completed), but that if I don’t like it in TZ I’ll have a good chance of enjoying it in BSD or DW. Sounds like it should be avoided in WH2O and TAF.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I’d be interested contributing towards Mark. If we did move forward, we would need to get all of the call outs documented and provide examples of each so he could try to match the cadence of the originals.

Me as well. This could be great.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

What does PPS have to do with this? Williams' copyright is for the original recordings. I wouldn't think they would be able to claim ownership over new recordings even if the lines are the same. Unless you're referring to some other potential legal issue I'm not aware of.

Rick will allege it is a derivative work. Whether correct or not the mere allegation of that would lead many to seek a legal opinion and those are expensive to acquire. I really have no idea where that would end up on a property licensed by WMS like TZ...there is a reason the remakes have all been unlicensed themes that PPS has more control over rather than TAF, IJ and TZ.

1 month later
#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No movement yet folks, I've been inundated with work. But things are going to happen quickly soon!

Any update on this matter?

I still need to but my first pin sound. It just dropped off my radar. They have so many options for sound for a game like Doctor Who it is almost overwhelming.

2 months later
#71 2 years ago

Made my first Pinsound purchase today, had a failure on my TAF’s sound board. Ended up buying two, one for Doctor Who as well.

I still haven’t made the plunge for either my TZ or BSD.

7 months later
#76 2 years ago

Well, the product doesn’t sound good on my Doctor Who - the original board was more crisp and louder - so I’m done with this product absent an absolute need like I had on TAF…which also doesn’t sound great but is better than nothing. Disappointed with this product to be honest…I expected it to be better than the 25 year old boards, not worse.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

On my previous install on a different Doctor Who, I had an original Pinsound board and upgraded Kevlar speakers. That game sung like a bird.

I should have done more research before spending on that money on two sets. Really bummed out this product isn’t what it was held out to be and actually a down step from the original boards.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Don’t beat yourself up too bad - I did the same thing. Good thing I kept my original board in my TZ, but DW (which to be fair, has some REALLY poor audio to start from) is a goner

Yea, thanks and good point. I still have my old Doctor Who sound board but my TAF board is a goner (which is why I started down this path).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-twilight-zone-worth-it-?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.