You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pinsound Twilight Zone worth it? ”

• Get Pinsound for Twilight Zone 19 votes
    27%
  • The game will be less fun without original track 27 votes
    39%
  • I don’t know about this Pinsound stuff, but I like to vote in polls 24 votes
    34%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ED5C5C3A-1BA9-4E6C-94E2-D798EB94685E (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #92 Usb recommendations Posted by Rdoyle1978 (1 year ago)

Post #95 Usb 3 Posted by Rdoyle1978 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

So, I’m considering acquiring my first pinsound set up. If I move forward it would be for Twilight Zone (the “horror show” version seems pretty neat).

This is, of course, an expensive upgrade. Is it worth doing? Will I miss the original sounds I’ve had for decades? Will the game seem off without the original sounds?

If I get it, should I also get the upgraded speaker set? Does it make much of a difference?

How about the Neo soundboard? Needed?

Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

Call me a purist, but I really love Granner's soundtrack to TZ- I can't imagine it any other way.

#3 3 years ago

Can't beat the original soundtrack - just love the classic look and sound of pins, especially TZ. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what people can & have done with Pinsound but I prefer to keep the original sound package

#4 3 years ago

Millz i think has one in his TZ. It sounded great quality wise and a cool new sound package, plus you can go back to the original sound.

#5 3 years ago

I'm working on my TZ pinsound atm.
Not happy with any of the levels in the current mixes available.
I love the motion control shaker and have done lots with that. For me that alone is a winner.
And yes I have the original mix in there as well which you can set easily if wanted.
Personally I have pinsound in all my games just for the clarity and stereo on some, and my own take on mixes in others.

#6 3 years ago

I have multiple mixes including the original music loaded on the USB. So you can switch between them fairly easily if you decide you want to play a game with the original soundtrack. You can toggle between the different tracks with the coin door volume buttons.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Not happy with any of the levels in the current mixes available.

I’m a potential Pinsound newbie, so I’m not certain what this means. It seems like, at least as to TZ, there are some feelings this may be a controversial mod.

If Pinsound in TZ is not a home run, how about BSD?

I appreciate the discussion.

#8 3 years ago

I think it’s good in TZ, have a few mixes. Sound quality is much better.
Had BSD with Pinsound and very good.
Only annoyance was tracking down the vibrations from the bass!

#9 3 years ago

Huge improvement. I’ll never go back as I’ve installed in all my B/W games now. Like original soundtrack? Just switch between soundtracks you installed on board. Easy.

#10 3 years ago

Is their a pinsound TZ sound package identical to the original?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Is their a pinsound TZ sound package identical to the original?

Yes. Chris Granners original and his DCS alternative are available from Pinsound.

#12 3 years ago

Is it easy for someone to post in this thread a pinsound background or perhaps link to another thread that gives a good background on this? I tried to search this and couldn’t find anything of substance. Thanks!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Is it easy for someone to post in this thread a pinsound background or perhaps link to another thread that gives a good background on this? I tried to search this and couldn’t find anything of substance. Thanks!

Background on what? The board or the mix?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m a potential Pinsound newbie, so I’m not certain what this means. It seems like, at least as to TZ, there are some feelings this may be a controversial mod.
If Pinsound in TZ is not a home run, how about BSD?
I appreciate the discussion.

A buddy of mine had PinSound on TZ using the Golden Earring 'Twilight Zone' song. I actually liked it, but I don't know how grating it would get over the course of months. I agree that the existing TZ sound package is pretty solid, so PinSound might be a better fit with BSD. There are some pretty sweet custom soundtracks you can check out on YouTube.

#15 3 years ago

I bought a PinSound in 2016 specifically FOR the TZ.

If you really get into it, you can make your own mixes, change the music, etc.

I am really not happy with where the PinSound boards have gone since, but as a new owner you won’t miss any of it (mostly has to do with the way their software works and how they’ve made it harder to customise)

The Granner DCS mix is very cool, although he never actually finished it, so much of the “DCS Mix” was ported over from the original game. Still, the new parts (and there are quite a few) are in such higher fidelity it is totally worth it IMO.

Lots of people miss the Golden Earring background music - that’s the main complaint I always get. It’s very simple to swap that song in, and the best thing is you can use the ACTUAL song! There’s a mix out there that does this. OR you can add multiple songs in and the board will randomly select one to play during those parts. That saved DW for me; it’s not always the same 10 second musical loop over and over again.

Overwhelmingly, the best thing to me is in adding in Rod Serling’s and June Foray’s (talky tina) voices, as well as the actual TZ music from the show - especially the little sting that plays after you drain and get your bonus. HUGE improvement. I also added the ending credits theme to the game when you end your game, it’s this very spooky, low-key music that IMO fits the game aesthetic very well. Might not work in a location as it’s a bit quiet, but also a huge change.

I’ve played with the DCS music for so long that it’s mildly distracting when I play a TZ with the original sounds - but if you’re not interested in changing at least some things, then don’t even bother with the board.

Consider these points:
Are you willing to add/edit any of the sounds yourself?

If no, are you just going to download a readily available mix?

If you just download a mix, and aren’t happy with it, will you just go back to the original board, or leave it on the original released soundtrack all the time?

If yes, don’t bother with the board

#16 3 years ago

Does PinSound use the original soundtrack and upconverts to a higher bitrate and better quality, or does it have to use a completely new soundtrack to accomplish this?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Does PinSound use the original soundtrack and upconverts to a higher bitrate and better quality, or does it have to use a completely new soundtrack to accomplish this?

PinSound the board itself doesn't do anything - it just plays the sounds/music/callouts/etc. But you can install higher quality sounds. Or low quality sounds.

The mix using the original sounds from the original game sound exactly like they do on an unmodified game. You can't "upgrade" low fidelity sounds. However, since TZ was originally supposed to use the DCS board which ultimately went with IJ, Chris Granner did a mostly-complete soundtrack for TZ using 16-bit (high fidelity) music/sounds. Those are available in a Pinsound mix, and sound much much better.

The original DCS music isn't the *same* as the released game though, and as I noted above, the Golden Earring music isn't present. That was added basically at the last minute because (I think) Granner didn't have enough time to write all new stuff. They changed back to the original sound board, and he had to ditch all the work he did for the DCS board and start over. That was kind of a happy accident, since a lot of people identify the Golden Earring song with the game.

So just for comparison's sake - I have a Doctor Who, and I've added a lot of other music into the game using the PinSound board, and it really refreshes the game. It's like listening to a CD, or watching the new generation of the show. A lot of the callouts however, are from the original game, and they sound just as trash as they do on the original game. hopefully that clarifies a bit -

One thing the PinSound board DOES do is allow you control over the bass and treble (at least the original board does.. the newer boards do ... sort of a version of this) which allows you to enhance the bass, and which just by itself does add quite a bit to any game.

#18 3 years ago

I just recently purchased a Pinsound Plus (first time buyer) for my Lord of the Rings. All I can say is wow. It was a massive upgrade for LOTR's. I think at the end of the day, what makes it have the WOW factor is if someone has created kick ass sound files for it. At least with LOTR's, there is 4 different sound packages that others have created for it.

#19 3 years ago

On the one hand I don't know how anyone couldn't like Twilight Zone's default soundtrack. The jackpot theme is one of the greatest pieces of FM synth music every created IMHO, and that's just one of many fantastic tracks. On the other hand, as far as I'm aware TZ doesn't have any interactive audio stuff such as seamless transitions or synchronized lights or anything like that, so not much will be lost if you buy a Pinsound and use the original mix (My biggest pet peeve with Pinsound is that those sorts of effects are lost completely, so any game that uses them isn't a good fit for Pinsound).

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

On the one hand I don't know how anyone couldn't like Twilight Zone's default soundtrack. The jackpot theme is one of the greatest pieces of FM synth music every created IMHO, and that's just one of many fantastic tracks. On the other hand, as far as I'm aware TZ doesn't have any interactive audio stuff such as seamless transitions or synchronized lights or anything like that, so not much will be lost if you buy a Pinsound and use the original mix (My biggest pet peeve with Pinsound is that those sorts of effects are lost completely, so any game that uses them isn't a good fit for Pinsound).

What's a good example of this? Whitewater is the only game I can think of which has direct interactivity with the audio. That definitely *is* lost with the PinSound since there's no algorithm tying the gameplay to the audio

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PinSound the board itself doesn't do anything - it just plays the sounds/music/callouts/etc. But you can install higher quality sounds. Or low quality sounds.
The mix using the original sounds from the original game sound exactly like they do on an unmodified game. You can't "upgrade" low fidelity sounds. However, since TZ was originally supposed to use the DCS board which ultimately went with IJ, Chris Granner did a mostly-complete soundtrack for TZ using 16-bit (high fidelity) music/sounds. Those are available in a Pinsound mix, and sound much much better.
The original DCS music isn't the *same* as the released game though, and as I noted above, the Golden Earring music isn't present. That was added basically at the last minute because (I think) Granner didn't have enough time to write all new stuff. They changed back to the original sound board, and he had to ditch all the work he did for the DCS board and start over. That was kind of a happy accident, since a lot of people identify the Golden Earring song with the game.
So just for comparison's sake - I have a Doctor Who, and I've added a lot of other music into the game using the PinSound board, and it really refreshes the game. It's like listening to a CD, or watching the new generation of the show. A lot of the callouts however, are from the original game, and they sound just as trash as they do on the original game. hopefully that clarifies a bit -
One thing the PinSound board DOES do is allow you control over the bass and treble (at least the original board does.. the newer boards do ... sort of a version of this) which allows you to enhance the bass, and which just by itself does add quite a bit to any game.

Do you know which file I need to download to have the most accurate faithful reproduction for a Williams Indiana Jones? I will be receiving my PinSound shortly, and prefer an exact replica of the original audio but of higher fidelity. I was thinking the audio on these machines was already of high-resolution (especially with things like DCS badging) and that the audio boards in these machines are the culprit for downconverting, but I think you are saying the source audio is of low-res in the first place and the only way to get higher res is to find a remastering of the audio.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Do you know which file I need to download to have the most accurate faithful reproduction for a Williams Indiana Jones? I will be receiving my PinSound shortly, and prefer an exact replica of the original audio but of higher fidelity. I was thinking the audio on these machines was already of high-resolution (especially with things like DCS badging) and that the audio boards in these machines are the culprit for downconverting, but I think you are saying the source audio is of low-res in the first place and the only way to get higher res is to find a remastering of the audio.

The default mix is on the PinSound Community site. Yes, to quote your own phrasing: "[If] the source audio is of low-res in the first place the only way to get higher res is to find a remastering of the audio."

There's a pinsider who created absolutely THE end-all-be-all IJ mix. His name escapes me right now but it's basically the only mix you'd want, and it is ABSOLUTELY a game-changer. He painstakingly took the music from all 3 films, found the identical callouts from the films, and a bunch of other easter egg type things, and put them all into a (huge!) sound mix. He asks for a minimal donation, which is absolutely deserved given the huge amount of work (seriously, I bet it took him 200 hours). The only thing to be aware of is that because there are so many files, and in such high res, they are big, and they require a very very fast USB drive. The sounds will lag if you have just a run of the mill one. I'll try to think of his name. Perhaps somebody else can chime in with it -

EDIT: Here's a Youtube of a really really really early version.

The pinsider's name is @endprodukt. Wonderful guy -

#23 3 years ago

I usually find pinsound a little disjointed because of high quality music combined with low quality original sound effects and call outs... especially in the case of a game like TZ where those sounds and calls are kind of iconic. But I do like the idea and I can see why it’s attractive.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What's a good example of this? Whitewater is the only game I can think of which has direct interactivity with the audio. That definitely *is* lost with the PinSound since there's no algorithm tying the gameplay to the audio

Some other good examples are Addams Family, as you never get Thing flipping the flippers during the bonus jingle, Rollergames completely gives up doing the bonus countdown animation since that's supposed to be synced to the music, the music slowing down on Funhouse when Rudy falls asleep doesn't work quite right, seamless song endings on games like Diner, Creature, and Riverboat Gambler are lost, etc.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The default mix is on the PinSound Community site. Yes, to quote your own phrasing: "[If] the source audio is of low-res in the first place the only way to get higher res is to find a remastering of the audio."
There's a pinsider who created absolutely THE end-all-be-all IJ mix. His name escapes me right now but it's basically the only mix you'd want, and it is ABSOLUTELY a game-changer. He painstakingly took the music from all 3 films, found the identical callouts from the films, and a bunch of other easter egg type things, and put them all into a (huge!) sound mix. He asks for a minimal donation, which is absolutely deserved given the huge amount of work (seriously, I bet it took him 200 hours). The only thing to be aware of is that because there are so many files, and in such high res, they are big, and they require a very very fast USB drive. The sounds will lag if you have just a run of the mill one. I'll try to think of his name. Perhaps somebody else can chime in with it -
EDIT: Here's a Youtube of a really really really early version.
The pinsider's name is endprodukt. Wonderful guy -

Oh that does sound good ... you might have converted me

#26 3 years ago

I am generally a purist when it comes to audio so here is my experience... concerned that the pinsound community sound packages would somehow deviate too far from the general intent of the stock audio... I purchased their package including speakers. My T2 now has three packages that can be changed on the fly.

I don’t presently have a TZ but I would have this same concern about wanting to revert back to default.

T2 has default, “remastered” and OST. The 2.1 stereo of the pinsound setup is so nice. After you play a stock WPC pin you realize how crappy the mono with cabinet speaker is... if I’m itching for stock sounds which is maybe like 1/5 of the games I have played since installing I go to remastered which takes advantage of pinsound amp and the speaker package. Then default sounds accurate and as intended but it’s not as dramatic as some of the remixed sound packages.

You can download and listen to some of the sound files just for reference and interest.

You can’t really lose.

Remember if you have other pins the PinSound stuff is pretty easy to cycle through your collection.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomP:

Remember if you have other pins the PinSound stuff is pretty easy to cycle through your collection.

Ah, so if I decide I do not like it in TZ, I can just pull it out and test it in BSD? In that regard, it is like colorDMD? If I don’t like it can go to DW?

Quoted from PhantomP:

T2 has default, “remastered” and OST. The 2.1 stereo of the pinsound setup is so nice. After you play a stock WPC pin you realize how crappy the mono with cabinet speaker is...

Does TZ have a “remastered” version as well?

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ah, so if I decide I do not like it in TZ, I can just pull it out and test it in BSD? In that regard, it is like colorDMD? If I don’t like it can go to DW?

Correct Pinsound can be moved between machines just like ColorDMD - drop the new machines files on it and away you go.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes and no - as Rdoyle1978 mentioned (below) there is a "remastered" TZ pinsound version however it is different to the original

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

However, since TZ was originally supposed to use the DCS board which ultimately went with IJ, Chris Granner did a mostly-complete soundtrack for TZ using 16-bit (high fidelity) music/sounds. Those are available in a Pinsound mix, and sound much much better.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes you can pull it and refresh the sounds for a different game just like colorDMD

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes and no - as rdoyle1978 mentioned (below) there is a "remastered" TZ pinsound version however it is different to the original

I see, so the remastered version was made but never totally completed. This takes advantage of the upgraded speakers as well.

Regardless, the interchangeability really won me over. It seems like TZ is rather controversial for Pinsound (possibly because the remaster was never completed), but that if I don’t like it in TZ I’ll have a good chance of enjoying it in BSD or DW. Sounds like it should be avoided in WH2O and TAF.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I see, so the remastered version was made but never totally completed. This takes advantage of the upgraded speakers as well.
Regardless, the interchangeability really won me over. It seems like TZ is rather controversial for Pinsound (possibly because the remaster was never completed), but that if I don’t like it in TZ I’ll have a good chance of enjoying it in BSD or DW. Sounds like it should be avoided in WH2O and TAF.

I doubt one would miss the differences in TAF, given how good the upgrade is, and how inconsequential the missing feature is. Granner specifically singled out WH20 as missing a major capability, in that the PinSound can’t (yet) speed up music when you’re going down the falls .. so that’s a Bummer, but it’s not the end of the world either.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I doubt one would miss the differences in TAF, given how good the upgrade is, and how inconsequential the missing feature is. Granner specifically singled out WH20 as missing a major capability, in that the PinSound can’t (yet) speed up music when you’re going down the falls .. so that’s a Bummer, but it’s not the end of the world either.

Actually I'm pretty sure the music does change as you progress down the river, but what's missing are the seamless transitions between those tracks as well as the intros each track has. The same applies for the Wet Willie's tracks and the really nice transition you get from the Wet Willie's theme to the first raft theme when finishing the mode.

#33 3 years ago

Many who have posted here will know what a huge PinSound fanboy I am, but thought I'd comment anyway. There are many points to address, but I'll try to be consice:

- IMO, PinSound is by far the most impactful upgrade you can make to a pin of this era (assuming an orchestration has been created you like or if you plan on creating your own). Sound quality was typically not high on the feature list of these pins that were for the most part intended to be placed in noisy arcades. Now that we all have them in our homes sound becomes a much more integral part of the game experience, and PinSound contributes to a much better overall experience.

- Not all orchestrations are created equally. I've done several of custom PinSound orchestrations for a multitude of games. Sometimes it's just a simple music swap, but other times it is significantly more involved with custom SFX and voice callouts either by professional actors or from movie clips. If you are the type that doesn't want or have the capability to create your own orchestrations for a pin, then I encourage you to download various orchestrations from the PinSound community site and use the free PinSound Studio Pro software to preview them on your computer. If you do have some sound editing capabilities and access to assets, then the sky is the limit with your creativity.

- The integration of the PinSound shaker is a must, IMO. Again, I've authored several shaker routines and many of mine and others are built into the PinSound firmware for various games. However, you can always modify a current routine or build your own. You can assign 1 of 9 pre-determined shaker events to any sound event or you also can add up to 3 custom shaker events. You are able to set initial shaker intensity, duration, and final shaker intensity. An example of this is in my Getaway shaker routine where I created an engine rev shake that corresponds to the the tach rev when you press the flipper buttons before ball launch, and I did a descending shake that occurs on ball drain that coincides with the skidding of the brakes sound. Also, the shaker board has a relay you can connect an external device to of any voltage then trigger it on given sound events. For example, you could connect a light bar or a fog machine that fires for a given duration and a given number of times when a particular sound event is played.

- As others have stated, you can always easily switch back to the original sound orchestration of a game on the fly. You can have multiple orchestrations on the PinSound board's USB drive, and you switch simply by lowering the machine volume to 0 then back up again. I also highly recommend the PinSound headphones station for this purpose as it gives you external volume control and orchestration switching instead of having to use the internal volume controls of the pin.

#34 3 years ago

Just got my Pinsound and speakers for my TZ. Love it. Been playing around with the mix cause the quality of the Sterling audio drops are quite stark now. I did reach out to the voice actor who did the voice of Rod Sterling for the Tower of Terror rides (Mark Silverman) and some LA TV spots for the annual Twilight Zone Marathon (here is a link to the commercial with his voice work

). Asked him if he was able/willing to record all of the dialog for the pin and he is.

Problem is that he wants $1,000 for the work which is steep especially when my plan was to provide the audio files to anyone that wants them free of charge.

So now I am trying to see if there are enough people interested in crowd sourcing this thing. Anyone interested in pitching in?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from dsauter:

Just got my Pinsound and speakers for my TZ. Love it. Been playing around with the mix cause the quality of the Sterling audio drops are quite stark now. I did reach out to the voice actor who did the voice of Rod Sterling for the Tower of Terror rides (Mark Silverman) and some LA TV spots for the annual Twilight Zone Marathon (here is a link to the commercial with his voice work ). Asked him if he was able/willing to record all of the dialog for the pin and he is.
Problem is that he wants $1,000 for the work which is steep especially when my plan was to provide the audio files to anyone that wants them free of charge.
So now I am trying to see if there are enough people interested in crowd sourcing this thing. Anyone interested in pitching in?

No skin in this game, but that would be really cool! Good luck and I hope you’re able to pull it off.

You might try a separate thread to garner some interest. That’s a great conversation topic.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from dsauter:

Just got my Pinsound and speakers for my TZ. Love it. Been playing around with the mix cause the quality of the Sterling audio drops are quite stark now. I did reach out to the voice actor who did the voice of Rod Sterling for the Tower of Terror rides (Mark Silverman) and some LA TV spots for the annual Twilight Zone Marathon (here is a link to the commercial with his voice work ). Asked him if he was able/willing to record all of the dialog for the pin and he is.

Good work! I’ll PM him and can front the money. Please get the word out to others. He may get in trouble for it so let’s see. Do we have a full list of callouts?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good work! I’ll PM him and can front the money. Please get the word out to others. He may get in trouble for it so let’s see. Do we have a full list of callouts?

I Put a post in the Owner’s club - if we get some traction from folks, let’s do this!

#38 3 years ago

pinsound is a great add on the shaker add on awesome and much like PDI glass once you have 1 and try it on different games the numbers will grow and i fully understand cost

#39 3 years ago

Thanks Rdoyle1978 for spreading the word!

I also reached out to Tim Kitzrow who did the original drops to see if he happened to have any of them but I haven't heard back.

I was going to go through the audio files, transcribe the lines and provide him with the wav files and the dialog lines. Then I figured I might need to screw with them a bit to get the timing to match the originals so you don't get effects bleeding into one and another if one is running long or something. I know there are some lists of the dialog out there but I don't trust them. LOL.

Mark was super stoked on the project. I guess his Dad was a producer on Krull and he dug the Krull pinball machine. Then we nerded out on the TZ tv show and other voice actors. He is a good dude.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from dsauter:

Thanks rdoyle1978 for spreading the word!
I also reached out to Tim Kitzrow who did the original drops to see if he happened to have any of them but I haven't heard back.
I was going to go through the audio files, transcribe the lines and provide him with the wav files and the dialog lines. Then I figured I might need to screw with them a bit to get the timing to match the originals so you don't get effects bleeding into one and another if one is running long or something. I know there are some lists of the dialog out there but I don't trust them. LOL.
Mark was super stoked on the project. I guess his Dad was a producer on Krull and he dug the Krull pinball machine. Then we nerded out on the TZ tv show and other voice actors. He is a good dude.

He absolutely is. I didn’t know his dad worked on Krull, that is cool!

Good news, seems like there’s a “little” interest

We need to get a complete list of callouts, and I’m going to ask him to do 1 set of retakes if need be. He’s a super pro, but there is a possibility some of the callouts may not match the intent in the game so we would want a second take.

This is gonna happen!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from dsauter:

Good luck with this project. FYI pinsound packages for T2 have a voice actor impersonator. Maybe there are more people who do Arnold than what is needed for TZ... they originally were going to hire someone at $1200 then eventually they found a freebie actor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-pinsound-hq-arnie-callouts-proposal/page/1

They sound pretty good... I am an Arnold fan and thought a phoney might bother me... it’s pretty good because it is higher fidelity than the original callouts.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomP:

Good luck with this project. FYI pinsound packages for T2 have a voice actor impersonator. Maybe there are more people who do Arnold than what is needed for TZ... they originally were going to hire someone at $1200 then eventually they found a freebie actor.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-pinsound-hq-arnie-callouts-proposal/page/1
They sound pretty good... I am an Arnold fan and thought a phoney might bother me... it’s pretty good because it is higher fidelity than the original callouts.

There are definitely a LOT of folks who can do a reasonable impression of Arnold. The TZ is a little special because Mark Silverman is the official voice of Rod Serling, and frankly I’ve not had the guts to ask him, despite - well never mind. This is very exciting.

#43 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 I saw on the other thread you asked people to DM you. How many takers you got? Maybe I will reach out to the Pinsound guys and see if they want to throw in too. All they can say is no or treat me like an a$$hole - same approach I took with reaching out to Mark. LOL.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Sound quality was typically not high on the feature list of these pins that were for the most part intended to be placed in noisy arcades.

Okay now that simply isn't true. The technology may not have always been top of the line but the amount of passion and detail put into the soundtracks and sound packages of classic Williams games was above and beyond what they needed to do considering that yes, most of the games ended up in noisy arcades. If you put on some headphones and listen to just about any soundtrack by one of Williams' sound designers I guarantee you'll hear details you've never noticed before.

#45 3 years ago

I’d be interested contributing towards Mark. If we did move forward, we would need to get all of the call outs documented and provide examples of each so he could try to match the cadence of the originals.

In addition, we should probably think through any additional lines for each call out to take true advantage of Pinsound’s possibilities.

If any does get in contact with Kitzrow, it would be worthwhile to see if he has any of the non compressed versions of the music from the remix. As much as I like Chris’s DCS version, the orchestrated version of the original is still my favorite.

*I’m taking another stab at getting all of the audio lag out of my games and experimenting with some SSD tech. The Patriot drives I’ve been using get almost all lag out but I’m seeing if different controllers may resolve it permanently.

#46 3 years ago

jedimastermatt over on the TZ owners forum Rdoyle1978 has a living list of the call outs. Kitzrow hasn't responded (reached out 3 days ago) but if he surfaces I will ask that as well. BTW, I reached out to the Pinsound guys to see if they wanted to contribute in some way based on the post earlier that they did something with an Arnold voice over for the T2 pin.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from dsauter:

rdoyle1978 I saw on the other thread you asked people to DM you. How many takers you got? Maybe I will reach out to the Pinsound guys and see if they want to throw in too. All they can say is no or treat me like an a$$hole - same approach I took with reaching out to Mark. LOL.

No please do not do that, they can’t be involved because of the PPS situation

#48 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 it's good you've posted onto the TZ owner's club thread. I am going to post here...

I would be more helpful with your project if I was a TZ owner!

I was thinking it might be good to get only a couple of all the call-outs done on a prelim basis (before doing a full session) in case there is an issue that you might catch on the sound quality and seeing if the words are paced out right.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I’d be interested contributing towards Mark. If we did move forward, we would need to get all of the call outs documented and provide examples of each so he could try to match the cadence of the originals.
In addition, we should probably think through any additional lines for each call out to take true advantage of Pinsound’s possibilities.
If any does get in contact with Kitzrow, it would be worthwhile to see if he has any of the non compressed versions of the music from the remix. As much as I like Chris’s DCS version, the orchestrated version of the original is still my favorite.
*I’m taking another stab at getting all of the audio lag out of my games and experimenting with some SSD tech. The Patriot drives I’ve been using get almost all lag out but I’m seeing if different controllers may resolve it permanently.

Ok let’s see.. Kitzrow unfortunately does not have anything from those sessions. What we have is all anybody’s found from years of looking. It’s even amazing the DCS stuff exists. By all means, keep trying though!

It is bad form to ask 2 people to do the same work though, like we are asking them to audition. Let’s just go with Mark. Love Kitzrow’s work but with all due respect to his amazing career, he doesn’t sound nearly as much as Rod as Mark does.

By the way, the lag can be eliminated (IJ has really bad lag because the sound files are so large) with a very fast USB drive. I will check but I believe it was a PNY that I finally settled on.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomP:

Rdoyle1978 it's good you've posted onto the TZ owner's club thread. I am going to post here...
I would be more helpful with your project if I was a TZ owner!
I was thinking it might be good to get only a couple of all the call-outs done on a prelim basis (before doing a full session) in case there is an issue that you might catch on the sound quality and seeing if the words are paced out right.

Definitely a Smart idea. I used do voiceover until several years ago. there’s a process to this

Thanks for the support. Now go get a TZ!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, PA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-twilight-zone-worth-it- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.