Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1908E7C5-D1CE-4AA5-8630-40AE27A0657E (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I installed Pinsound+ on my Tommy with a external powered subwoofer and I am blown away at how great it sounds. Completely changes the sound experience from what used to sound like Atari 2600 to being at Who concert. 80% of the time it sounds perfect.

I'm getting problems when there is too much going on though, like when there's a background soundtrack and I hit the spinner during a multiball. It's almost like the system is overloaded and the sound starts to stutter. The sound gets really choppy.

I'm very much an amateur when I'm "under the hood" so may have connected something incorrectly... any ideas or tips would be helpful.

Cheers!

#2 3 years ago

Dont they make a 12v adapter for power issues with dataeast games etc... You can get this from other places in the US. https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=1

#3 3 years ago

I had a similar issue on my Sttng.

I used a faster USB drive and it eliminated the stuttering. Perhaps worth a shot?

#4 3 years ago

Good thought, yeah I already have the Data East adapter. Faster USB? Can you point me to a product out there? Was it hard to install?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mplspinhead:

Good thought, yeah I already have the Data East adapter. Faster USB? Can you point me to a product out there? Was it hard to install?

Sure. Different thumb drives have different data access speeds. If you have a cheaper one, the data being transfered may not be able to keep up with what is going on during play.

All you have to do is take out the current USB THUMB DRIVE (where the TOMMY sounds are loaded) and load those files on a different one. If you need more details, pls let me know. Very easy. You have done it once already when you installed pinsound.

#6 3 years ago

Oh haha I thought you meant the receiver for the thumb drive. I think even I can handle upgrading a thumb drive! I’ll give it a try and let you know

8 months later
    #7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mplspinhead:

Oh haha I thought you meant the receiver for the thumb drive. I think even I can handle upgrading a thumb drive! I’ll give it a try and let you know

Any luck with the newer thumb drive? I am having the exact same stuttering issue with my LOTR machine. I am upgrading to a 400mb/s usb. Currently using a 130mb/a usb and I’m getting skipping.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Toppers:

Any luck with the newer thumb drive? I am having the exact same stuttering issue with my LOTR machine. I am upgrading to a 400mb/s usb. Currently using a 130mb/a usb and I’m getting skipping.

Something else is wrong. Check your firmware, make sure it's up to date. 130mb/s should be already much faster than what you need. I'd check your connections and voltage first. The Pinsound boards have a USB 2.0 port, so technically can read at up to 480MB/s, but the files are tiny and do not really need rates that quick.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Something else is wrong. Check your firmware, make sure it's up to date. 130mb/s should be already much faster than what you need. I'd check your connections and voltage first. The Pinsound boards have a USB 2.0 port, so technically can read at up to 480MB/s, but the files are tiny and do not really need rates that quick.

Sorry forgot to say. Firmware is updated minutes before the issues. Just got it from the company but double checked. It works fine until you get multiball or multiple things happening just like the OP said.

So these are my voltages from the onboard diagnostics. The amplifier voltage is the only thing that seems low if looking at the max. It doesn’t even come close to 26000mv

1908E7C5-D1CE-4AA5-8630-40AE27A0657E (resized).jpeg1908E7C5-D1CE-4AA5-8630-40AE27A0657E (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago

Update. New usb did nothing. Same thing. I ended up swapping my Indy pinsound basic with the pinsound plus in my LOtR and got it to work on the pinsound basic. Indy works with the pro also. What a mess.. I’m happy I have both working but still have no idea why that occurred. Didn’t change a thing. Before swapping I tried unplugging and Re plugging in cables with no changes.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Toppers:

Update. New usb did nothing. Same thing. I ended up swapping my Indy pinsound basic with the pinsound plus in my LOtR and got it to work on the pinsound basic. Indy works with the pro also. What a mess.. I’m happy I have both working but still have no idea why that occurred. Didn’t change a thing. Before swapping I tried unplugging and Re plugging in cables with no changes.

I remember having issues with my Pinsound (original) in my Indy as well, but it actually WAS a slow USB. The new Pinsound+ and Pinsound basic are far inferior to the original boards, I'm sorry to say. Glad you figured it out though, and got it to work

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-stuttering- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.