2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ashram56
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rocket_cpu_89_3D_ (2) (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Looks like the Pinsound bros are going to release a compatible CPU board for WPC systems.

https://www.pinsound.org/products#originalparts

Has anyone heard anything about it yet?

rocket_cpu_89_3D_ (2) (resized).jpgrocket_cpu_89_3D_ (2) (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Great - all SMD = virtually disposable.........no thanks.

#3 2 years ago

My thoughts exactly love their pinsound boards

#4 2 years ago

Looks like it has no more reset built in.

#5 2 years ago

Besides the "no more reset", it looks like it has some other common WPC89 board mods; changing the RAM to NVRAM, and swapping from the AA batteries to a coin (or external) battery. The RAM change looks interesting...there's another RAM chip on there too (onboard RAM).

3 months later
    #6 2 years ago

why not a rtc controller and ditch the battery all together, you already migrated to nvram.

the battery is only to keep the clock time, which from what i can tell they moved to a different style clock circuit?

the only thing that plagues this boards are battery damage and someone hitting the switch matrix with 50v coil voltage

i don't see a crazy need for these, and being smd , not easy repair for some, unless they plan on selling for $50 hard pass for me.

1 month later
    #7 2 years ago

If anyone's interested, the new PinSound replacement Bally Williams boards launched today:

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/pinsound-launches-new-bally-williams-boards

#8 2 years ago

Would be a lot better if it wasn't built using all surface mounted parts. Makes hobby repairs much more difficult.

Great that there is a new product option to market though, gives people more options.

#9 2 years ago

Surface mount parts is way cheaper to manufacture (automated insertion and soldering). It's a trade-off therefore between ease of repair and cost of manufacturing

Personally, I prefer a relatively cheap option (which is the case here, less then 200 dollars). Furthermore, failure rate on non power type circuit board is super low anyway if designed properly

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-rocketcpu-wpc89-s-95- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.