(Topic ID: 234224)

Pinsound+ mix install problems

By Jimmyhonda

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1550012120528307316212961868083 (resized).jpg
    15500086257985709627729212166333 (resized).jpg
    20190210_114725 (resized).jpg
    20190210_114712 (resized).jpg
    20190210_114846 (resized).jpg
    20190210_114800 (resized).jpg
    9F847E69-7D17-4B82-AAAF-04864C2C9E16 (resized).jpeg
    3384DBA5-21BA-4209-A743-EC1DF8DAB5E4 (resized).jpeg
    6F4D1119-E0C9-4009-8F30-E555FE0D4BC6 (resized).jpeg
    D52970FB-227B-484C-85EC-23DBD02CF740 (resized).jpeg
    71E26D32-BAA6-4BF9-AD83-B2DA269CE376 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Have you read my guide? Even if not creating your own orchestration, it lays out proper USB format.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

#4 5 years ago

Are you getting any pings/beeps when you first turn on the game to indicate loading (should be similar to the IJ)?

#6 5 years ago

Is the mix already uncompressed into wav files and laid out in the directories or did you just copy the zip file to the drive?

Are you saying that you moved a working PinSound from IJ to the new pin?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I downloaded the mix to my cpu. Then I used the Pinsound program to move it to the usb. It located it correctly and copied over.
    About IJ. I have a different Pinsound+ board that I installed a mix onto successfully. Doing exactly the same process. That’s why I’m stumped. I’ve done this entire process before and it worked flawlessly. That’s why I’m so confused.

Is it a Pinsound or a Pinsound+

#10 5 years ago

Also, I believe the Lord of the Rings falls under the STERN Whitestar category. Did you install this kit and follow these directions?

https://www.pinsound.org/whitestar

#12 5 years ago

Much different than the Williams install.

#14 5 years ago

So the sound worked perfectly before you installed the Pinsound? I only ask because I helped a guy earlier this week, and turns out his speakers were not wired properly from before.

Doubled check your microprocessor and the adapter you installed to make sure all pins are in correctly (nothing bent or skipped).

#15 5 years ago

Can you post a screen shot of the root of your USB drive?

#18 5 years ago

Don't think it matters, but get rid of all the extra crap, and I don't see your config.ini file.

All you should have in root are the "audio" folder and the "config.ini" file (which may actually be optional)

Can you post a pic of what is in your audio file? You should just have a folder by the name of the mix, then also please drill down into that folder and show me the contents of the music folders (i.e. go as deep as you can to where you actually see a *.wav file)

#19 5 years ago

BTW, the guy I helped this week had the same experience where he could here the PinSound load sounds but the orchestration would never play. I thought it was odd, but somehow on his system, that's the way it worked. I don't think this has anything to do with your situation, but it was really odd and made it hard to troubleshoot.

#20 5 years ago

Also, just to start with a baseline, are you using the Lord_Of_The_Rings_Original orchestration and not a user community one?

#23 5 years ago

Your folders are screwed up. Do you have time for a quick webinar? Just need to have your USB drive plugged into your computer.

#24 5 years ago

Please PM me your email address and I'll send you link to meeting.

#27 5 years ago

sent - you may want to remove your email from the public post (why I asked you to PM).

#29 5 years ago

should only take a couple of minutes since there is no conversion required.

#34 5 years ago

Sorry, I thought that was the original. We can put multiples on the card and you can switch between them.

Have you d/l the original orchestration?

#39 5 years ago

I know you said you had it hooked up correctly, but while I'm d/l this file can you please verify all of your connections according to the video/instructions?

The USB drive is configured correctly now for sure.

#42 5 years ago

Yes, and d/l the original to be the third.

#44 5 years ago

According to the self-diagnostic, everything is good (5V is good and the sound package is active). You start a game, and no sound, correct?Have you adjusted the volume during game play (sorry, I don't know how this works on Stern, I only have a Williams)?

#45 5 years ago

You will hear the PinSound start up sounds regardless of the pin's volume and speaker settings. I don't know how, but it overrides these. Has been my experience on multiple pins.

#46 5 years ago

I think it is somehow bypassing the system's sound process until it actually engages the orchestration.

#48 5 years ago

Okay, just wanted to check. So when you actually play a game, complete silence from the sound system?

#49 5 years ago

Still have few minutes on the d/l. When done, we'll try again.

#52 5 years ago

I'm beginning to wonder if the whitestar system works differently. I cannot find documentation on multiple orchestrations, and it wants you to copy the zip file directly to the USB and let it do the work. Is this the way you originally did it?

#53 5 years ago

Even so, the diag file said it was active, so I think my setup is correct.

#57 5 years ago

It will read the first folder by default.

Okay, please try again. The USB drive is setup correctly. At this point, the hardware is beyond what I could help, but I would suggest disconnected everything and doing it again paying detailed attention to all cable connections, orientation, etc. Not saying you haven't done so already, but at this point is all correct you will need to engage the bros and PinSound. They are very helpful, but can be slow sometimes.

#61 5 years ago

Awesome, glad to know we got to the resolution. Bottom line is that the directory structure was all incorrect. I think the final straw was removing that pinsound.config file from the audio folder at the same level where the orchestration folders existing (there should be a pinsound.config file inside each of those folders.).

2 weeks later
    #65 5 years ago
    Quoted from garretswinning:

Im having the same problem with my pinsound+ on data east hook

Can you please define/elaborate upon your exact issue?

Also, screen shots of every level of your USB folder structure would be helping starting from the root down to where you see music/jingle/Sox/etc. folders.

Finally, drill down to a sound file and tell me what format it is (oog or wav).

Just want to address some common format issues.

#67 5 years ago

Plug your usb drive into computer and please provide the screenshots I requested. Also respond to my question about file format. Sorry, but cannot make assumptions. This info should be enough for us to determine if a format issue or if some other problem.

#71 5 years ago

Yes, the structure does look correct.

Couple of things now:

1) What color is the PinSound+ Status LED after boot (i.e. when the game PinSound+ should be working)?

2) Please run a self-diagnoses to see what info the logfile produces.
    - Go to this link https://www.pinsound.org/help/pinsound-studio
    - Scroll down to the Record and replay section (silhouette with headphones) and under Recording click the "config.ini" link and save the zip file to your computer
    - Unzip the config.ini file and edit it | set psrec = false and set debug = true
    - Save file then copy it to the root of your usb drive
    - Insert USB drive, turn on pin, and wait until it fully loads (i.e. the point at which it should be playing sound)
    - Turn off pin, put drive back in computer, open the pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt file, copy contents, then post to this forum.

#73 5 years ago

The status led is green. The daughter board is flashing blue. Have inserted the usb back into hook. All that was said from the sound was there are no sound files on the usb flash drive.

What do you mean no sound files? Did you delete them (didn't need to)? Just needed you to put config.ini file in root as described, run PinSound, then put back in computer and edit the file to see what it logged, copy that log, then paste here in the forum so we can read it.

#74 5 years ago

The status led is green. The daughter board is flashing blue. Have inserted the usb back into hook. All that was said from the sound was there are no sound files on the usb flash drive.

If status led is solid green that means the board is ready (good sign).

#76 5 years ago

I may have time for a webinar this evening if that would help. PM me when you are ready. Main thing is I want to capture the logfile from the PinSound to see if it tells us anything (it may or may not). Unfortunately, you have to do some manual steps to enable the log capture.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-mix-install-problems?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.