Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F01D461C-C121-4C6A-BD1A-A48A2DE87590 (resized).jpeg
new connx (resized).jpg
speaker (resized).jpg
CN4 Cut (resized).jpg
Stereo plug (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 4.26.23 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedi42.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#163 5 years ago

I just ordered Pinsound for my LOTR, and will report back what happens with mine when installed.

Quoted from micro:

Hi all,
For those of you in my boat, who want to experience the Wool mix (and other mixes that are posted) but are having issues due to the pinsound+ (2.0) board, and its LOUD OVERPOWERING music, I have some interesting information.
Here are my specifics...
I just received and installed my Pinsound+ card, as well as the Pinsound speakers (2 small, and the sub). I used the stereo kit, and all went well with my installation.
I could only find 2 options in the game settings that affect volume, and have these set to the following (please let me know if I missed any other setting that could effect this):
37 Bkground Music - I have this set to 1(min) (though I did try changing to 15 (max), and it didn't affect things to much, only a subtle difference either way).
26 Allow Volume Effects - I have this set to 0 (off)
I have the latest firmware installed in the pinsound+ card, as well as in my LOTR LE (it shipped with the latest firmware).
I will paste the complete Pinsound+ self diagnostic at the end.
I played a game, and heard what I am used to with the WOOL mix. It sounds amazing until you start some modes, or get some music going. The easiest thing to test on is TWO TOWERS MB. When I start that MB, the music gets loud pretty quick. I start making jackpots, but the gimli callouts (jackpot1, jackpot 2, etc, etc) are almost inaudible. Other times when you hear no sound FX are in gandalf/saruman, shelob, and lots of other modes and multiballs (though Shelob and G/S are really bad).

USB DEVICES

2 weeks later
#164 5 years ago

So, installed a new Pinsound+ card. I also replaced the backbox speakers and have a powered subwoofer attached (tried both using line out and by jumpering from the cabinet speaker). Running the Wool Movie Mix. Pinsound told me that the line out is the preferred method for the subwoofer.

So far I am having all sorts of volume issues, as in many of the voices, sound effects, etc. are much louder than the other effects. I have added gain.txt to problem areas to either increase or lower the particular effect's volume. What I have found is that the cabinet speaker (even when I remove the subwoofer) is much louder than the backbox speakers, in relative terms. Even if I reduce the subwoofer boost dial to almost zero, it is still louder. In my Getaway, the same subwoofer dial is around 45%, compared to under 10% for LOTR.

What would cause the cabinet sound to be so much louder than the cabinet speakers? Is this a Pinsound card issue, or a mixing issue?

Quoted from jedi42:

I just ordered Pinsound for my LOTR, and will report back what happens with mine when installed.

#166 5 years ago

Sorry, no the issue is the cabinet speaker. The subwoofer I can adjust on the unit itself. The cabinet speaker is stock, I think 4 ohms, but I may be misrememberingg that.

Quoted from Hazzard:

So your powered subwoofer is to powerful? Have you tried using the speaker inputs instead of the line inputs on the subwoofer? I guess a powered subwoofer is normally around 100-150w of power, while the pinsound card outputs about 10-15w, so the good old multiply watt X10 to get a perceived doubling of loudness is right I suppose.
And is the speaker in the cabinet 2, 4, 6 or 8 ohm? That makes a lot of difference in output

#169 5 years ago

So, an update, and question if others have had the following issue. What I have found is that when I boot LOTR, the sound level is not always the same. When I listen to the startup Pinsound chime, sometimes it is at normal level, other times it is way louder. To make sure I wasn't imagining it, I measures the level with a phone app, and on the times it is louder it is over 10 dB louder than normal and on volume level 1 it is too loud.

I also switched out the Pinsound card with one from another machine and same thing happens. Never had this occur on my Getaway.

Waiting for an answer back from Pinsound, but wondered if anyone has seen this before.

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

There have been many sound clip balance issues listed by people for different reasons. I have held off for years buying a Pinsound board because of it. I took the plunge in December based on conversations I had with Hawkhole about the work he did with the Pinsound+ to adjust the sound file levels individually. Aside from just one or two little things that I noticed being a louder than the others, I feel he absolutely nailed it. All I did was install the board, the sound file and boot it up with no changes to any settings and all volumes at the mid point. I already had both the full FF speaker kit as well as an external subwoofer added to the game.
I would try the other mixes and see what you get out of it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedi42.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-lotr-wool-movie-mix?tu=jedi42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.