Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F01D461C-C121-4C6A-BD1A-A48A2DE87590 (resized).jpeg
new connx (resized).jpg
speaker (resized).jpg
CN4 Cut (resized).jpg
Stereo plug (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 4.26.23 PM (resized).png
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from November:

Still a lot work to do but...

Wow, sounds great!!!!

LOTR is my next Pinsound pin.

two questions

1) are you going to post your Mix when done?

2) what speakers are you using?

thx
Sully

#152 5 years ago

Its the wool mix with some changes.
I would like To share when its done, but i made a huge changes of volume/gain , so i dont really know how it Will sound on an other machine...

I use the pinsound speakers kit

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from November:

Its the wool mix with some changes.
I would like To share when its done, but i made a huge changes of volume/gain , so i dont really know how it Will sound on an other machine...
I use the pinsound speakers kit

Indeed, I'd love to test your volume/gain changes. Please post it when you are ready.

#154 5 years ago

Slightly ot but is there a mix with the original pinball sounds and music, just updated from the movie soundtrack? In other words, I want it to sound “like” my original lotr but upgraded quality, etc.

Wool mix is amazing btw. Sometimes I just want the original sounds but better quality.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from November:

Received my pinsound kit yesterday and install all the stuff.
It works pretty good, the main problem is the volume balance between some of songs and the FX.
All the originals sounds are very low volume compared to te rest.
The shelob mission music is very high volume for example.
Can somebody confirm that is a problem only with the pinsound PLUS ?
Thanks

FYI, I had the same issue, but there is a sound effects adjustment for the machine itself and I lowered it and it sounds better. Not perfect, but definitely better.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Can tell you from personal experience that the Wool mix with latest Pinsound firmware on a Pinsound plus has sound when the ball is still in shooterlane. This for first and more balls.

That’s weird, I have everything installed and still nothing. Works fine on all the other mixes, so it’s not a wire or anything with my machine. Huh, no idea not a biggie. Out of curiosity, what’s the sound effect used?

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

That’s weird, I have everything installed and still nothing. Works fine on all the other mixes, so it’s not a wire or anything with my machine. Huh, no idea not a biggie. Out of curiosity, what’s the sound effect used?

Main theme sound. Just like you get when first switch is hit. We had the same issue till last firmware update.

#158 5 years ago

Try the hawknole LOTR remix too. It’s great!!

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Try the hawknole LOTR remix too. It’s great!!

Any video of it and where it can be downloaded?

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Any video of it and where it can be downloaded?

http://bfy.tw/Lv1D

#162 5 years ago

Hi all,

For those of you in my boat, who want to experience the Wool mix (and other mixes that are posted) but are having issues due to the pinsound+ (2.0) board, and its LOUD OVERPOWERING music, I have some interesting information.

Here are my specifics...

I just received and installed my Pinsound+ card, as well as the Pinsound speakers (2 small, and the sub). I used the stereo kit, and all went well with my installation.

I could only find 2 options in the game settings that affect volume, and have these set to the following (please let me know if I missed any other setting that could effect this):

37 Bkground Music - I have this set to 1(min) (though I did try changing to 15 (max), and it didn't affect things to much, only a subtle difference either way).
26 Allow Volume Effects - I have this set to 0 (off)

I have the latest firmware installed in the pinsound+ card, as well as in my LOTR LE (it shipped with the latest firmware).

I will paste the complete Pinsound+ self diagnostic at the end.

I played a game, and heard what I am used to with the WOOL mix. It sounds amazing until you start some modes, or get some music going. The easiest thing to test on is TWO TOWERS MB. When I start that MB, the music gets loud pretty quick. I start making jackpots, but the gimli callouts (jackpot1, jackpot 2, etc, etc) are almost inaudible. Other times when you hear no sound FX are in gandalf/saruman, shelob, and lots of other modes and multiballs (though Shelob and G/S are really bad).

My guess is that the music is gain is way too loud, in relation to all the other sounds of the game, and it just overpowers the FX callouts.

During the above game, I used the PSREC (pinsound recording feature) and loaded it up to review it.

Interestingly enough, the mix when I listen back to it in software is GREAT. During the TT multiball, for example, I can hear Gimli just fine with his Jackpot calls. The music no longer drowns out the sound FX, and it is a much better experience.

This one test, to me (correct me if I am wrong) seems to be proof that something not right with the Pinsound+ (2.0) boards, and their mixing when music is going. I have no problem changing gains to my personal liking, but this is something else entirely.

To make sure that the WOOL mix was not an anomaly, I also tried the HAWKNOLE mix, with the same test. Again, the same result. The music drowns out the sound FX, but it sounds fine when i re-listed to the game through Pinsound Software.

I am hoping that this can get looked at by Pinsound, and hopefully a firmware fix can be created. Otherwise, I do not see how I can accurately tune the mix using software, if it is going to sound completely different after loading.

Pinsound, if you are listening, let me know if you would like me to get video of the above (for both playback, and the game audio itself, so that you can see what I am talking about. I have no issues doing so, and can post youtube links here, or send you files, etc.

Lastly, I wanted to thank WOOL and HAWKNOLE, and everyone that has shared their time in creating these mixes. It is so worth the upgrade $$$, assuming I can get this issue figured out. Hopefully we can get this resolved, and there will be a bunch more orders for Pinsound 2.0 boards!

Thanks for reading!

Chris

-= PinSound Self Diagnosis =-

HARDWARE MODEL
------------------
PLUS

HARDWARE REVISION
------------------

HPS EXTERNAL VOLUME
------------------
100%

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION
------------------

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION
------------------

POTENTIOMETERS
------------------
EQ SUB BASS 52%
EQ BASS 51%
EQ MEDIUM 51%
EQ TREBLE 49%
SUB BOOSTER 54%
HEADPHONES STATION GAIN 50%

POWER SUPPLIES
------------------
5V MEASURED: 4944mV (expected range: 4700mV - 5100mV)
[lowest 5V measured: 4877mV / highest 5V measured: 4981mV]

AMPLIFIER VOLTAGE MEASURED: 11778mV (expected range: 11000mV - 26000mV)
[lowest amplifier voltage measured: 11700mV / highest amplification voltage measured: 12624mV]

SERIAL NUMBER
------------------
164522ff1b0911

SOUND PACKAGES
------------------
Lord_Of_The_Rings_Original
LOTR_hawknole
The Wool v1 (active)

SYSTEM
------------------
WHITESTAR

USB DEVICES
------------------
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 13fe:4100 Kingston Technology Company Inc. Flash drive

1 week later
#163 5 years ago

I just ordered Pinsound for my LOTR, and will report back what happens with mine when installed.

Quoted from micro:

Hi all,
For those of you in my boat, who want to experience the Wool mix (and other mixes that are posted) but are having issues due to the pinsound+ (2.0) board, and its LOUD OVERPOWERING music, I have some interesting information.
Here are my specifics...
I just received and installed my Pinsound+ card, as well as the Pinsound speakers (2 small, and the sub). I used the stereo kit, and all went well with my installation.
I could only find 2 options in the game settings that affect volume, and have these set to the following (please let me know if I missed any other setting that could effect this):
37 Bkground Music - I have this set to 1(min) (though I did try changing to 15 (max), and it didn't affect things to much, only a subtle difference either way).
26 Allow Volume Effects - I have this set to 0 (off)
I have the latest firmware installed in the pinsound+ card, as well as in my LOTR LE (it shipped with the latest firmware).
I will paste the complete Pinsound+ self diagnostic at the end.
I played a game, and heard what I am used to with the WOOL mix. It sounds amazing until you start some modes, or get some music going. The easiest thing to test on is TWO TOWERS MB. When I start that MB, the music gets loud pretty quick. I start making jackpots, but the gimli callouts (jackpot1, jackpot 2, etc, etc) are almost inaudible. Other times when you hear no sound FX are in gandalf/saruman, shelob, and lots of other modes and multiballs (though Shelob and G/S are really bad).

USB DEVICES

2 weeks later
#164 5 years ago

So, installed a new Pinsound+ card. I also replaced the backbox speakers and have a powered subwoofer attached (tried both using line out and by jumpering from the cabinet speaker). Running the Wool Movie Mix. Pinsound told me that the line out is the preferred method for the subwoofer.

So far I am having all sorts of volume issues, as in many of the voices, sound effects, etc. are much louder than the other effects. I have added gain.txt to problem areas to either increase or lower the particular effect's volume. What I have found is that the cabinet speaker (even when I remove the subwoofer) is much louder than the backbox speakers, in relative terms. Even if I reduce the subwoofer boost dial to almost zero, it is still louder. In my Getaway, the same subwoofer dial is around 45%, compared to under 10% for LOTR.

What would cause the cabinet sound to be so much louder than the cabinet speakers? Is this a Pinsound card issue, or a mixing issue?

Quoted from jedi42:

I just ordered Pinsound for my LOTR, and will report back what happens with mine when installed.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

So, installed a new Pinsound+ card. I also replaced the backbox speakers and have a powered subwoofer attached (tried both using line out and by jumpering from the cabinet speaker). Running the Wool Movie Mix. Pinsound told me that the line out is the preferred method for the subwoofer.
So far I am having all sorts of volume issues, as in many of the voices, sound effects, etc. are much louder than the other effects. I have added gain.txt to problem areas to either increase or lower the particular effect's volume. What I have found is that the cabinet speaker (even when I remove the subwoofer) is much louder than the backbox speakers, in relative terms. Even if I reduce the subwoofer boost dial to almost zero, it is still louder. In my Getaway, the same subwoofer dial is around 45%, compared to under 10% for LOTR.
What would cause the cabinet sound to be so much louder than the cabinet speakers? Is this a Pinsound card issue, or a mixing issue?

So your powered subwoofer is to powerful? Have you tried using the speaker inputs instead of the line inputs on the subwoofer? I guess a powered subwoofer is normally around 100-150w of power, while the pinsound card outputs about 10-15w, so the good old multiply watt X10 to get a perceived doubling of loudness is right I suppose.

And is the speaker in the cabinet 2, 4, 6 or 8 ohm? That makes a lot of difference in output

#166 5 years ago

Sorry, no the issue is the cabinet speaker. The subwoofer I can adjust on the unit itself. The cabinet speaker is stock, I think 4 ohms, but I may be misrememberingg that.

Quoted from Hazzard:

So your powered subwoofer is to powerful? Have you tried using the speaker inputs instead of the line inputs on the subwoofer? I guess a powered subwoofer is normally around 100-150w of power, while the pinsound card outputs about 10-15w, so the good old multiply watt X10 to get a perceived doubling of loudness is right I suppose.
And is the speaker in the cabinet 2, 4, 6 or 8 ohm? That makes a lot of difference in output

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Sorry, no the issue is the cabinet speaker. The subwoofer I can adjust on the unit itself. The cabinet speaker is stock, I think 4 ohms, but I may be misrememberingg that.

I would try switching your woofers, and see if the problem changes.

#168 5 years ago

There have been many sound clip balance issues listed by people for different reasons. I have held off for years buying a Pinsound board because of it. I took the plunge in December based on conversations I had with Hawkhole about the work he did with the Pinsound+ to adjust the sound file levels individually. Aside from just one or two little things that I noticed being a louder than the others, I feel he absolutely nailed it. All I did was install the board, the sound file and boot it up with no changes to any settings and all volumes at the mid point. I already had both the full FF speaker kit as well as an external subwoofer added to the game.

I would try the other mixes and see what you get out of it.

#169 5 years ago

So, an update, and question if others have had the following issue. What I have found is that when I boot LOTR, the sound level is not always the same. When I listen to the startup Pinsound chime, sometimes it is at normal level, other times it is way louder. To make sure I wasn't imagining it, I measures the level with a phone app, and on the times it is louder it is over 10 dB louder than normal and on volume level 1 it is too loud.

I also switched out the Pinsound card with one from another machine and same thing happens. Never had this occur on my Getaway.

Waiting for an answer back from Pinsound, but wondered if anyone has seen this before.

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

There have been many sound clip balance issues listed by people for different reasons. I have held off for years buying a Pinsound board because of it. I took the plunge in December based on conversations I had with Hawkhole about the work he did with the Pinsound+ to adjust the sound file levels individually. Aside from just one or two little things that I noticed being a louder than the others, I feel he absolutely nailed it. All I did was install the board, the sound file and boot it up with no changes to any settings and all volumes at the mid point. I already had both the full FF speaker kit as well as an external subwoofer added to the game.
I would try the other mixes and see what you get out of it.

3 months later
#170 4 years ago

I was about to buy a pinsound+ card until I saw this. Have these volume issues been resolved in the wool mix? What about hawknole?

#171 4 years ago

Not in mine dude sorry.

1 month later
#172 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Not in mine dude sorry.

I've got all three available files that I move between, honestly it's really not that big of a deal to me. Are there some files with different sound levels, sure. Do they negate the benefit of the new sound package enough to stick with the original, no.

It would be great to have someone go through and normalize the levels between all the tracks but that's a lot of work and I know I don't have the time or technical ability.

#173 4 years ago

I'm sure you would be able to find a software dedicated to audio normalization which would do an automatic job

#174 4 years ago

Also don't forget that Stern's software is performing some layering of the sounds by attenuating the volume. So will it ever be perfect? No. Honestly on my setup no sounds are overly loud. I've tuned them all in by there are still issues as some music is serene, some dynamic, etc.

2 months later
#175 4 years ago

First of all many thanks to The Wool for creating his mix with the fantastic music & SFX clips. I have a Pinsound+ board and was suffering the same volume issues. I’ve created a new mix that solves the volume issues. I also made some changes in the music and SFX. I’ve uploaded the file on the Pinsound Community site. I hope you enjoy my mix as much as I do.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

First of all many thanks to The Wool for creating his mix with the fantastic music & SFX clips. I have a Pinsound+ board and was suffering the same volume issues. I’ve created a new mix that solves the volume issues. I also made some changes in the music and SFX. I’ve uploaded the file on the Pinsound Community site. I hope you enjoy my mix as much as I do.

winrar doesn't want to unpack files :/
pinsound studio, showing error :/

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Thanks for the thanks

I look forward to giving your mix a test run.

Cheers!

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

winrar doesn't want to unpack files :/
pinsound studio, showing error :/

Try downloading again as it may be corrupt. You can use a CRC checker as well. If that fails try 7zip.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Try downloading again as it may be corrupt. You can use a CRC checker as well. If that fails try 7zip.

Only half the file is transferring. After 3 attempts with different browsers, the file stops after ~512MB (each time).

#180 4 years ago

I tried to download several times and each time it stops at 512kB

#181 4 years ago

Did somebody manage to download the complete file or is everybody suffering download issues?

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I tried to download several times and each time it stops at 512kB

I just downloaded the file from the mediafire link in the first post. It downloaded and it did extract correctly at a size of 1.41 GB. I used 7zip. This package on pinsounds site is much much much smaller.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I just downloaded the file from the mediafire link in the first post. It downloaded and it did extract correctly at a size of 1.41 GB. I used 7zip. This package on pinsounds site is much much much smaller.

this file is not smaller, because it has over 1gb, if you unpack, you have the following folders: sfx, voice and single ?? I suspect you don't have them, because the download stops at 512kb

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

this file is not smaller, because it has over 1gb, if you unpack, you have the following folders: sfx, voice and single ?? I suspect you don't have them, because the download stops at 512kb

The file on pinsound (packed) is around 172 MB. Where as the media fire link is over 800MB packed.

#185 4 years ago

I will ask you again if you have unpacked folders:sfx, voice and single ??

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I will ask you again if you have unpacked folders:sfx, voice and single ??

I suspect you may be confusing Wool's original mix/download and the modified file from @Sjoend.

#187 4 years ago

it works ?

#188 4 years ago

Sjoend download fails for me every time

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Sjoend download fails for me every time

I am still writing about it, but others argue that it is different

#190 4 years ago

I did get Sjoerds file on an usb stick some time ago. Don’t know if he has changed it but you can download it at

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap585hMUVLvwivos4gJU-Iki1RS1Pw

Link is valid for 1 month

#191 4 years ago

thank you
I'm already downloading

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I did get Sjoerds file on an usb stick some time ago. Don’t know if he has changed it but you can download it at
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap585hMUVLvwivos4gJU-Iki1RS1Pw
Link is valid for 1 month

Thanks Rens! I made a few changes to the Balrog SFX, the rest is the same. I’ll try to upload it again to the Pinside Community site later this week.

#193 4 years ago

this is bad luck , from this link the download stops at 238kb, and then the message: failure - server problem
I've tried several times

#194 4 years ago

succeeded, works great
there is one mistake, during the bash balrog mission it plays music, theme (hobbiton)

Thank you Sjoend, great job

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

succeeded, works great
there is one mistake, during the bash balrog mission it plays music, theme (hobbiton)
Thank you Sjoend, great job

Thank you fly, I’m glad you like it. I’ll look into the balrog sequence but I first need to understand why people have difficulties downloading the file. I’ll make a new zip file and upload it again to the pinsound site this weekend.

#196 4 years ago

From the link provided by Rensch, I was able to download only after the fifth attempt

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from fly:

From the link provided by Rensch, I was able to download only after the fifth attempt

That’s strange. It’s a download from Microsoft OneDrive, you would expect that to be always up and running. Anyway, glad it succeeded in the end.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

That’s strange. It’s a download from Microsoft OneDrive, you would expect that to be always up and running.

It failed for me initially (as a single download) so I selected a few folders/files and split up the download. That worked.

1 week later
#199 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Thank you fly, I’m glad you like it. I’ll look into the balrog sequence but I first need to understand why people have difficulties downloading the file. I’ll make a new zip file and upload it again to the pinsound site this weekend.

Received a message from the Pinsound Community administrator that the problem is fixed and the download should work now.

3 months later
#200 4 years ago

Hi I pulled down the The Wool mix v1 from pinsound community. Is that the latest version? I looked through these posts and it sounds like a v2 was in the works but not released?

Are any of the other user mixes the successor to the wool mix?

Also just curious, I found the sounds occasionally didn't play or there was a delay from what i was used to with the original mix. Is that normal? Anything I can do to improve that? Does the USB device speed have a factor (It's an old thumbstick)? Also are there no callouts for the various path of the dead souls counts - mine doesn't say anything.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-lotr-wool-movie-mix/page/4?hl=hazzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.