Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Reznnate
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F01D461C-C121-4C6A-BD1A-A48A2DE87590 (resized).jpeg
new connx (resized).jpg
speaker (resized).jpg
CN4 Cut (resized).jpg
Stereo plug (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 4.26.23 PM (resized).png

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 1 year ago

Hi all!!

I previewed this in the members thread a while back and thought advent was a good time to post a v1. I'm open to making this the best it can be so please feel free to leave comments or pm me directly.

Note: the link below is on mediafire but I'll also post it to the Pinsound Community pages:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qqnsy2l5ih3dbgl/LOTR_Woolmix_%20v1.rar

v1 release notes:

Welcome to v1 of my LOTR film mix! I took the existing OST mix as a base but I would say that 99% of this has now been changed including:

- all new musiC from the films: each mode is authentic to the film scene, also some plenty of music has been added
- modes which use layered music (e.g. Escape the ringwraithes), use the authentic layered music appropriately
- where appropriate samples were replaced with HQ speech from film's isolated channel, some new speech also added
- tonnes of new sound effects
- all sorts of new jingles such as skill shot, end of ball, etc.

Lots of original sounds remain, some it makes no sense to try and replace

Please leave some feedback in the Pinside thread. I'm open to make it better so any ideas of constructive criticism drop me a note.

Hope you enjoy it, now on to Mordor!!

#2 1 year ago

Wow. Thank you. People like you and threads like this are what make pinside rock. Can't wait to try this in my Lotr and give you some feedback. My pinsound is on the way currently

#3 1 year ago

Do you have a Youtube link to the file in action?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Fooped:

Do you have a Youtube link to the file in action?

Here are some previews, sound quality is not the best:

https://vimeo.com/227564037
https://vimeo.com/227564136

#5 1 year ago

Sweet I was waiting for you to drop this! Can’t wait to check it out and see how it compares to the other one. Sounds like a lot of love went into this, cheers!

#6 1 year ago

Totally brilliant move isolating and replacing some call outs btw, it’s a real disconnect when the some of the OG Uber compressed ones kick in.

#7 1 year ago

Can´t wait to run that soundset, i give a feedback a.s.a.p.

#8 1 year ago

Your sound changes are exceptional.
Did you change the music in there and back again?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Your sound changes are exceptional.
Did you change the music in there and back again?

Mmmm.... I don't know as I've never been there. There was no vanilla music left if I remember so I think I did. If you get there please let me know

#10 1 year ago

This is why I bought Pinsound for my LOTR. Can't wait to install. Thank you!!

#11 1 year ago

I haven't been looking foward to doing the PinSound install since it involves some more intensive board work but... IT MUST BE DONE!!!

Thanks for sharing this awesome work with us!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I haven't been looking foward to doing the PinSound install since it involves some more intensive board work but... IT MUST BE DONE!!!
Thanks for sharing this awesome work with us!

Intensive board work? Please elaborate. Do you mean installing the adapter chip?

#13 1 year ago

I am curious to see TABA and DTR. Can you do a video with glass off and ball in hand so there would be more extensive modes and mode completion?

TABA is about perfect the way Keefer did it so I would not recommend messing with that other than maybe improving the sound quality.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am curious to see TABA and DTR. Can you do a video with glass off and ball in hand so there would be more extensive modes and mode completion?
TABA is about perfect the way Keefer did it so I would not recommend messing with that other than maybe improving the sound quality.

DTR is epic with the new music. Need to figure out what TABA uses...

#15 1 year ago

Can someone tell me what adapter I need for LOTR? I bought a Pinsound board for my IJ, but haven’t installed it yet and would rather put it in LOTR now since IJ is going to go through a restore next year sometime hopefully.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Can someone tell me what adapter I need for LOTR? I bought a Pinsound board for my IJ, but haven’t installed it yet and would rather put it in LOTR now since IJ is going to go through a restore next year sometime hopefully.

You need a whitestar adapter. Pinsound sells them on their website and that's the only source I've found.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

You need a whitestar adapter. Pinsound sells them on their website and that's the only source I've found.

It's brand new, $60 on their site

#18 1 year ago

So you need a pin sound board ($400) plus a whitestar adapter ($60)? Is that correct.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

So you need a pin sound board ($400) plus a whitestar adapter ($60)? Is that correct.

If you buy one new from their site, and select a white star game, the site will include the adapter automatically. So it should be $400 total. You do not need to buy a second adapter

#20 1 year ago

This looks insanely awesome... quite a gift to the LOTR pinball community. Thank you.

-Jay

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

This looks insanely awesome... quite a gift to the LOTR pinball community. Thank you.
-Jay

Cheers Jay, that means a lot coming from the dude who brought us the amazing palantir mod!

#22 1 year ago

Is Pinsound compatible with the modified whitestar LOTR LEs?

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is Pinsound compatible with the modified whitestar LOTR LEs?

Yes!

#24 1 year ago

Now I'm definitely goi to get the pinsound board, great work!

1 week later
#25 1 year ago

I've had lotr le since January 2013 (nib). Like any game you have for that long a time, after a while it gets a bit stale. But the mix that thewool has put together has me excited to receive my pinsound board. It's amazing what a new soundtrack can do for a game. Can't wait to install both.

#26 1 year ago

LOL, great job !! it's amazing, these sounds are great !!
Thank you

#27 1 year ago

Quick question. I just got my pinsound board, but not sure if I have to zip the rar file or can I just put it as is on the USB stick?

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Quick question. I just got my pinsound board, but not sure if I have to zip the rar file or can I just put it as is on the USB stick?

You should unzip it - the board will then have to convert all the files to .WAV, which takes a long time

#29 1 year ago

In the link I provided they are already wavs to save you a bit of time. I've been trying to upload this mix to the Pinsound Community pages but it keeps timing out, I wonder if the file size is too big.

#30 1 year ago

I haven't seen ANSI art like this since my BBS days! Where is the .nfo file??

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

I haven't seen ANSI art like this since my BBS days! Where is the .nfo file??

They were some happy days Jay!!

#32 1 year ago

Excellent!
Awaiting pinsound support for multiple mixes (and boot.wav!?) for whitestar

1 week later
#33 1 year ago

@thewoll: Great mix and love the HQ speech that REALLY makes a difference!
2 simple thing that I'm missing compared to the "OST" mix:
- Arrow sound, I really miss that. No sound in your mix?
- Ball save callout, I really miss the "shall we try that again"
Great version v1, hope if can evolve an be "the mix"!

#34 1 year ago

This is fantastic. I could not understand how people were justifying $400 for an audio pcb but I get it now.

...edit post...

Annnnnnnnd bought one.
Can't wait.

#35 1 year ago

This mix is seriously next level. There’s so many layers to it, it makes LOTR feel like a JJP game. All the voice samples are pristine... so many variations of the orchestration! I don’t know what dark magic you used to make this happen, but THANK YOU.

#36 1 year ago

My buddy and I played last night with your mix. It's great and makes some of the modes feel very epic. Thank you!

#37 1 year ago

Just installed and played a few games and all I can say is wow! Truly spectacular and you can tell how much time and effort went into this. Makes the game feel new again. Can't thank Kris enough for creating this and sharing it.

#38 1 year ago

Cheers for the positive feedback guys!!!

It's funny but when I spoke to the Pinsound guys at a UK pinball show back in 2015 and they first mentioned Whitestar support I knew I would be able to do a good job. It's just good to give something back to Pinsounders :0)

By the way, I will update the There and Back Again music now I know what the track is. I'll also add the 'shall we try that again' for the ball save, and check the arrow noise.

#39 1 year ago

Cool sound quality makes a huge difference. Will be adding pinsound card soon. Oh boy, one more way to spend some money.

#40 1 year ago

Arrow noise will be icing on the cake thank you!

#41 1 year ago

Question - for the path of the dead, are the callouts for souls ("500 souls!") removed because they were too repetitive (or missing HQ replacement) or am I just missing them for some reason. I want to make sure my new install/board is working properly.

After looking through the files a bit, I'm guessing an empty gain.txt file is used to 'skip' sounds. I also noticed gain values between 4 - 20. Would love your thoughts on how/why and other tips that would help explain the construction of this mix. I need to mess with my speakers and volume. I'm getting a lot of noise, some sounds are very loud while some are hard to hear.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Question - for the path of the dead, are the callouts for souls ("500 souls!") removed because they were too repetitive (or missing HQ replacement) or am I just missing them for some reason. I want to make sure my new install/board is working properly.
After looking through the files a bit, I'm guessing an empty gain.txt file is used to 'skip' sounds. I also noticed gain values between 4 - 20. Would love your thoughts on how/why and other tips that would help explain the construction of this mix. I need to mess with my speakers and volume. I'm getting a lot of noise, some sounds are very loud while some are hard to hear.

They seem to be removed. I prefer that personally because i found them annoying and they reminded me of how little skill was involved.

Make sure your speakers are balanced left and right and properly between the cabinet and backbox. There is also a fix for buzz in stern/data east games that involves a potentiometer, but I doubt that mod could be done with the pinsound. I emailed pinsound about the same thing and they told me to make sure pinsound wasn't turned all the way up and to instead use the game volume

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

They seem to be removed. I prefer that personally because i found them annoying and they reminded me of how little skill was involved.
Make sure your speakers are balanced left and right and properly between the cabinet and backbox. There is also a fix for buzz in stern/data east games that involves a potentiometer, but I doubt that mod could be done with the pinsound. I emailed pinsound about the same thing and they told me to make sure pinsound wasn't turned all the way up and to instead use the game volume

Yes it's like this, they were removed on purpose. I just thought the atmosphere was better with out and the souls earned are displayed on the DMD.

If anyone would like to add the callouts back in, pm me and I can send you the files and instructions.

Similar to the above, I also took out "1 ring of men, etc.". Same reason, after you've played the game a few hundred times you don't need this.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from thewool:

Yes it's like this, they were removed on purpose. I just thought the atmosphere was better with out and the souls earned are displayed on the DMD.
If anyone would like to add the callouts back in, pm me and I can send you the files and instructions.
Similar to the above, I also took out "1 ring of men, etc.". Same reason, after you've played the game a few hundred times you don't need this.

thewool
I do agree with these changes actually.
Before I say more, let me say "THANK YOU SO MUCH" for your work on this. Thank you for sharing it. I appreciate the time/effort this takes and it really does improve the game experience tremendously. I love it.

Okay, that said... On my game, a few changes may be needed. This mod has a LOT going on and I can imagine certain things slipping through or combos of sounds might cause different behavior. Most of my issues/tweaks involve timing or volume. Perhaps my speakers, volume, are set differently than yours (I have a lot of white noise if I set volume above 1/3). For example, The witch king sequence seems to start late and is very soft. A few other sounds might have gain values that SEEM too low (for me). I'd love to add a few different ball-save sounds. What tweakable options are available with pinsound? Other than gain values, are you able to tweak or synchronize timing?
Are you planning an update? Are you aware of issues and intend fixes/improvements?
Would you prefer specific feedback from others like me or would you suggest we simply make our mods directly due to variances you've noticed between machines?

4 weeks later
#45 1 year ago

I'm going to stream the installation of a pinsound board and this mix on my LotR later this evening for anyone curious about the process. It'll be my first time installing one so hopefully all goes to plan, including capturing direct audio from the pinsound board into the stream.

Keep an eye out at http://twitch.tv/iepinball, or follow to be notified when I go live. Should be around 5pm PST or so, nothing exact yet.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Troz:

I'm going to stream the installation of a pinsound board and this mix on my LotR later this evening for anyone curious about the process. It'll be my first time installing one so hopefully all goes to plan, including capturing direct audio from the pinsound board into the stream.
Keep an eye out at http://twitch.tv/iepinball, or follow to be notified when I go live. Should be around 5pm PST or so, nothing exact yet.

I'd love to watch this but probably can't catch it live. Will you have an archive of it up later? The board work in particular is a bit outside my comfort zone so I'd love to watch someone else first!

#47 1 year ago

Yes, it'll be archived on twitch and I'll probably throw it up on YouTube as well.

#48 1 year ago

Just an FYI I recently upgraded my stock speakers to the stereo enabled pinsound ones and I was pretty blown away by the difference it made with this mix!

3 weeks later
#49 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just an FYI I recently upgraded my stock speakers to the stereo enabled pinsound ones and I was pretty blown away by the difference it made with this mix!

This is precisely the question I wanted to ask. If the original game is mono, I was wondering if stereo would matter.

If I've already updated the speakers, will Pinsounds's 'stereo' cable work with LOTR?
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

This is precisely the question I wanted to ask. If the original game is mono, I was wondering if stereo would matter.
If I've already updated the speakers, will Pinsounds's 'stereo' cable work with LOTR?
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

I used it on my lotr. Works great, what's your concern?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn , NY
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 11.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 75.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 1,000.00
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, CO
$ 219.99
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davenport, IA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside