• Latest reply 1 year ago by hawknole
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220403-170052_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

After working on my own LOTR pinsound mix since early this Spring I am ready to share. I have spent approximately 60 hours learning about all the sounds and music that goes into LOTR and creating a custom mix.

I would like to give props to the other two LOTR mixes available on the pinsound community as I learned quite a bit from those mixes and made use of some of the music included with them, not necessarily in the same place or the exact same segments as I edited a bunch with Audacity. I also gathered some music on my own and went out and found more sound clips and effects that I felt were needed. There are over 600 files in the mix and I can confidently say that I listened to each one and changed about 30% in some way. All the music was changed which includes the main theme music, missions and multiball segments. You will find some LOTR rock related surprises in there as well, primarily with the multiball segments.

The link to download the mix is here, you need to have a pinsound community user account and if you have a pinsound board it should be no problem:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/263-lotr_hawknole/

And a preview video, somewhat choppy but something to give the feel is below:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mV31jevywBY

PinSound released some new firmware this week for the PinSound+ boards and I would recommend updating the firmware if you have not already done so as it helps with sound leveling.

I did upgrade to FF speakers and stereo wiring to the backbox speakers; still mono to the bottom cabinet speaker. I believe all the music segments come across in stereo.

I hope you enjoy.

#3 5 years ago

Does this work in both PinSound and PinSound+? I knew there were some "issues" with other mixes...

EDIT: This was apparently fixed today for PS+!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Does this work in both PinSound and PinSound+? I knew there were some "issues" with other mixes...

I am using PinSound+
It should be good with the PinSound board too
I worked with Nicolas at PinSound and he tested it on his LOTR and made some suggestions that I tweaked then he gave me his thumbs up

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. Can't wait to check it out.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Thanks for sharing this. Can't wait to check it out.

Enjoy

1 week later
#7 5 years ago

I had some additional questions on how much my mix is similar to The Wool mix. Quick answer, there are some similarities and I added a bunch of new music, sound effects and call outs. As I just suggested to someone via PM, download all the mixes on the pinsound community and try them all out. Then dive in and make your own mix. It is another great way to mod your pinball machine.

#8 5 years ago

Whao, another LOTR mix !!

Will try it tonight !

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from November:

Whao, another LOTR mix !!
Will try it tonight !

Cool, feel free to PM me and let me know how it works out. I spent a good deal of time on the sound leveling and think it is pretty good. No matter how low you turn down those pesky orcs their noises are still harsh and I have them cranked down.

1 month later
#10 5 years ago

Hawknole's mix is AWESOME and in person it is immersive and fun. It tempts me to sell some games and grab my own LOTR. He's put so much work into it and it shows.

#11 5 years ago

sorry,
as for me drums insertions are hopeless, they do not match this game

#12 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. That is one of the reasons why I encourage everyone who has a PinSound board to work up their own mix and personalize it. There are only a handful of non LOTR movie music files in my mix and you could swap those back for the originals or other excerpts from the movies. As I get other good feedback I may be willing to tweak and make a purist mix and share that as well.

2 weeks later
#13 5 years ago

Based on the feedback above and some other feedback I also received, I recently shared a new PinSound mix for Download from the PinSound Community. I have revised my original LOTR hawknole mix and taken out all non-LOTR music. I sourced some new LOTR music and made some minor tweaks to some of the existing sound files. Enjoy.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/268-lotr-hawknole-pure/

3 months later
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Based on the feedback above and some other feedback I also received, I recently shared a new PinSound mix for Download from the PinSound Community. I have revised my original LOTR hawknole mix and taken out all non-LOTR music. I sourced some new LOTR music and made some minor tweaks to some of the existing sound files. Enjoy.
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/268-lotr-hawknole-pure/

I will test this out today and I'm happy you removed non LOTR music, it was honestly the one thing that was keeping me from trying it out! Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into this!

#15 4 years ago

No problem, let me know how it works out for you.

#16 4 years ago

So far so good. I might change a few music pieces but overall very good! The balrog sound at push start needs to be turned down a tad.

#17 4 years ago

Great, yeah good point, that Balrog at push start is a little loud. Now to find that file and decrease his gain slightly.

#18 4 years ago

It’s a great mix though. You really nailed some of these modes and multiballs. It feels truly epic. This is my main mix for this pin going forward!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It’s a great mix though. You really nailed some of these modes and multiballs. It feels truly epic. This is my main mix for this pin going forward!

Much appreciated.

#20 4 years ago

This sound package makes me want to buy a PS+ kit. 2 questions.
1.) Does the speaker kit really make a big enough difference to warrant the expense or would you put money towards a color DMD?
2.) Please tell me the clip of Gandalph saying, "Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King, Steward!"

#21 4 years ago

Powered external sub makes more difference in sound than anything. There are better BB speakers for about $30 if you really want but I'd try it with stock first and see how you like it. Get the stereo cable or make your own.

#22 4 years ago

Has the file been updated since it's original submission in December?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

This sound package makes me want to buy a PS+ kit. 2 questions.
1.) Does the speaker kit really make a big enough difference to warrant the expense or would you put money towards a color DMD?
2.) Please tell me the clip of Gandalph saying, "Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the King, Steward!"

What jarby said, the stereo cable is more important than new speakers.

As for that Gandalf callout, suggest a place for it in the game & I can look into it.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

As for that Gandalf callout, suggest a place for it in the game & I can look into it.

Starting ROTK of course!

1 year later
#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Powered external sub makes more difference in sound than anything. There are better BB speakers for about $30 if you really want but I'd try it with stock first and see how you like it. Get the stereo cable or make your own.

Hi! Can you explain how to make such a cable or where to buy it? I have the original Pinsound board and would love the use an external sub. Thanks!

6 months later
#30 2 years ago

Anyone have any feedback on the shaker integration with this sound package for pinsound. I added a shaker to my LOTR with pinsound using the hawknole mixes and either my shaker is not setup properly or I'm not experiencing much shaker integration. Just wondering if anyone else is using a setup like this and what they see. Thanks for any help!

1 month later
#31 2 years ago
Quoted from stuckey_t:

Anyone have any feedback on the shaker integration with this sound package for pinsound. I added a shaker to my LOTR with pinsound using the hawknole mixes and either my shaker is not setup properly or I'm not experiencing much shaker integration. Just wondering if anyone else is using a setup like this and what they see. Thanks for any help!

Mix shouldn’t have any impact with shaker motor. I run a shaker in mine with my mix and all good. Maybe check your shaker settings.

4 months later
#32 1 year ago

I am thinking of getting Pinsound and see they offer speaker upgrades -- but also see people talking about Flipper Fidelity speakers.

Which is better (or are they basically the same?)

If I get Pinsound and then buy FF speakers -- can you still get the stereo output? Is there any conflict with volume level as I see FF has a volume control on it?

Any suggested extra wires to get?

I'm tempted to just get the Pinsound package with speakers to avoid issues but if FF is better I'm open to mixing the two systems.

(Note, this is in regards to LOTR standard machine)

Thanks!

#33 1 year ago

I had one other question regarding LOTR audio -- I notice the stock audio sounds muddy/muffled (no highs) -- what is the main cause of that?

Is it:

* Original sampling quality
* Poor quality amplifier
* Poor quality speakers

Or combo of all of the above?

Thanks
-John

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from MetaMan:

I had one other question regarding LOTR audio -- I notice the stock audio sounds muddy/muffled (no highs) -- what is the main cause of that?
Is it:
* Original sampling quality
* Poor quality amplifier
* Poor quality speakers
Or combo of all of the above?
Thanks
-John

Mostly #1 due to storage size constraints from 20+ years ago. The home market wasn't nearly what it is now so their average customers werent concerned with high fidelity sound. They also had no competition whatsoever let alone anyone putting out a premium product to compete against. That's why the pinsound infrastructure is great imo. Thanks to the tireless work of the people who put these new mixes together, we have great secondary options. Most painstakingly ripped new sound files directly from the BR/4k audio tracks and/or the movie audio soundtracks to create their mixes.

As far as speakers, my tried and true solution is some nicer BB speakers off of Amazon (usually $30-$50), and an external powered sub. My go to was a Polk PSW10. I bought 10 of them back when I found them for $79 ea.

#35 1 year ago

Hi Jarby,

Thanks for the info -- very helpful.

I actually just took some headphones and alligator clips and tested the audio through them -- it still sounded muddy so that confirms your point that it's the source material and not the speakers.

Regarding the subwoofers -- how do you connect those to machines? I think Pinsound may come with a sub out (or it's an option?)

Also do you know anything about getting the machines speakers to work in stereo -- I read that you may need a separate adapter to somehow adapt the pinball machines speakers to connect to Pinsound in a way that allows stereo?

Thanks
-JOhn

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from MetaMan:

Hi Jarby,
Thanks for the info -- very helpful.
I actually just took some headphones and alligator clips and tested the audio through them -- it still sounded muddy so that confirms your point that it's the source material and not the speakers.
Regarding the subwoofers -- how do you connect those to machines? I think Pinsound may come with a sub out (or it's an option?)
Also do you know anything about getting the machines speakers to work in stereo -- I read that you may need a separate adapter to somehow adapt the pinball machines speakers to connect to Pinsound in a way that allows stereo?
Thanks
-JOhn

I always clip my leads to the sub +/- tabs on the sub in the cabinet and run with both. There are various boards and contraptions that allow you to hook up an external sub but I find them superfluous for my needs.

As far as stereo, just read the pinsound site. All the information you need is there (spoiler alert, it comes with everything you need).

Screenshot_20220403-170052_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220403-170052_Chrome (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#37 1 year ago

MetaMan - Jarby did a good job of answering your questions above. Stereo output from pinsound is the huge improvement, all aftermarket speakers are better than the originals. Whitestar system in general is poor audio quality. As also stated above, the source files are not great, mono & muffled.

I remastered every original file that stayed in my mix. The other sounds that I added were also gone through. And then I evened them all out. For example, note the Balrog growl moves opposite from right channel to left channel whereas all other stereo mixing moves left to right. And Balrog on purpose is louder. Overall, there are about 650 sound files in LotR. Enjoy!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-lotr-hawknole-mix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.