(Topic ID: 162257)

Pinsound / ColorDMD -Power concerns

By adams_arcade

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Looking for feedback on your experiences.

I have installed the Pinsound and ColorDMD in my Williams Getaway and Data East Guns N Roses.

Both pins have solid working boards and connections. All power measurements are in spec.

What I have noticed is with low volume levels each of these pins will play fine. Unfortunately the volume is lower than I "need or enjoy" with a full arcade of games and pins. If I move the main volume close to halfway towards full volume - minor movements the pins go into a reset (power loss/drain) with original / rottendog / XPin power or driver boards.

As a theory test I used a switchable power supply (a spare for my vids) to give the Pinsound it's own power source. This solves the problem.

I would like to know what the power draw / requirements are for the Pinsound board. Anyone know?

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Other recommendations or a more elegant way to provide power to the Pinsound board?

I would like to have a solution that looks good for future resale in the future.

#2 7 years ago

On GNR the 12V and 5V are driven from the same bridge so I can see how dips on the 12V supply might cause problems with logic and resets.

Not sure I understand why you would see resets on the Getaway where 5V and 12V are generated from different bridges.

The ColorDMD pulls around 0.75A on the 12V supply but actual current depend on the backlight brightness. I don't have any info on the Pinsound board but when I spoke to them at TPF in 2015 my impression was they were using s different supply than the ColorDMD (at least for WMS games).

#3 7 years ago

Ok there is one variable on the Williams.

I had a WPC Power Fix "Pro" Daughter board installed. http://ww.kahr.us

Removing this from the circuit seems to have ended my resets with higher volume levels at the moment. More testing tomorrow.

DMD thanks for jumping in on the thread. I will be purchasing the the GOT and BSD ColorDMD's when available (hint hint)

"I was promised eternal life and by the way winter is coming!"

#4 7 years ago

The Kahr board uses the 12V supply and a switching regulator to generate 5V for the MPU. This is creating a similar circuit to what's done on the DE power driver board and would explain why you're seeing similar logic problems. Without the Kahr board, the 12V and 5V supplies should be (mostly) decoupled and you shouldn't have issues with the ColorDMD or Pinsound board producing resets.

I don't know enough about the Pinsound board to know why it's creating rapid dips on the 12V supply but you might want to consider replacing the hold capacitor for the unregulated 12V supply to see if there's any improvement in behavior. I've also seen notes on Pinside that some DE power driver boards are more robust to these issues than others.

#5 7 years ago

And some DE power supply boards have reversed the regulated and unregulated circuits. Rottendog boards supposedly have a jumper for this but in ever found it on my rottendog boards and wrote up how to fix the problem.

2 weeks later
#6 7 years ago

So just to update all... The game worked perfectly at my July 4th party. Good news!

#7 7 years ago

I had the same problem with my JP. Plus a ton of custom mods installed. Added a external power supply to run almost all the mods and it works fine now.

2 months later
#8 7 years ago

So the getaway is now working fine? I'm thinking about upgrading my getaway with colordmd and pinsound board. Are you happy with pinsound? And did you make a custom sounds for the game?

#9 7 years ago

Yah Pinsound is nice in Getaway. There is a basic mix but I keep hoping someone will do a new one...hint hint!!

ColorDMD is a must have in this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 18.95
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-colordmd-power-concerns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.